Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel pretty comfortable saying this game owns now, since even if I'm about the finish the main plot I still had a lot of fun and still have much more to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Deified Data posted:

People allergic to exploration

BIg Family Feud buzzer noise on this one. Am level 50 and love exploring, but this one was very easy to miss and there's no reason to go back there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

404notfound posted:

I don't know if it's just reddit in general, but I've been following the subreddit for the game since it came out, and it's weird how it's been dominated by these cycles of outrage. First everybody was really upset about the microtransactions, then everybody was really upset about dragonsplague ruining their saves, and then they were really upset about the lack of enemy variety.

I get that sometimes there's a topic du jour that people will bat back and forth for a bit, but at its peak, it seemed like at least half of the posts in the sub were one form or another of complaining about the game. Like, if reading the sub were your only exposure to the game, you'd think Itsuno personally went to every redditor's house and shot their dog or something. Not to say that the game is flawless, but I've just been over here enjoying the journey (literally and metaphorically), climbing on big monsters and savoring the hammy pawn banter. It's like reddit wants to hate the game, for some weird reason

Reddit definitely has a problem with communities based around hate on some fashion. There are many gaming subreddits for only created because either bigots and dedicated antii-fans takeover a sub or get sick of being moderated and create a place to keep being angry.

A subreddit based around negativity always ends up a rotten place since the content that does well is negative, but people get bored of the same stuff and reddit is a daily social media site, so over a short time posts with newer complaints or more strongly negative perspectives rise up who h sets the baseline for future posts.

A good community is based around some mutual shared interest but one based around disliking something leaves people with no common ground besides not liking things, and it gets really weird lovely and bad when a bunch of people are just hanging around wanting to have more bits of poo poo to talk on something they do t like, even to the exclusion of pursuing, like, poo poo they are actually into and like, instead.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can only speak for myself, but I tend to avoid discussion on a game I am enjoying for the most part while I am going through it because my brain worms tend to ruminate on what other people see as flaws, which tends to affect my own enjoyment if that makes sense, and I only go in if I want to ask some specific questions.

This does not lend itself towards RPGs in general because I tend to slowly play through games, and things would be throughly memed before I get to those parts :(

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 29, 2024

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Khanstant posted:

most are junk but one adds different sound effects and music.

I bought this yesterday and I'd just like to mention that while I generally like it and think it improves the game, it''s quite disappointing that you don't get the old Gran Soren town music in Vernworth. I can understand why Into Free ain't there but c'mon.

Clocks posted:

warfarer is also kind of lame, since you can only really do a 2/1 skill split (if you add rearmament) or you have to manually switch weapons so you can levitate or whatever. it all just feels like a missed opportunity to allow you to do super cool stuff

I was initially iffy about Warfarer's limitations but after playing around with it a bunch I'm quite into it. If they did the obvious thing and let you just equip 3 skills per weapon it would just invalidate everything else. The limits are harsh but needed to keep it in line, and there are currently plenty of great use cases within those limitations. I see there being 3 ways to use Warfarer:

1. The obvious way. Run 2-3 weapons with a 2/1 or 1/1/1 skill split. A 2/1 split feels pretty solid on some classes where I only really care about a couple abilities. Warrior, for example. Good basic attacks, a skill for small enemies, a skill for large ones, and you're good. Don't particularly want or need anything else from the kit. May as well use the other 2 buttons for a different weapon with one skill attached.

2. Play as a normal single vocation but sacrifice one skill for Rearmament. Losing one button isn't that big of an ask and you can get a lot out of the basic kits of many weapons. Bow for quick ranged attacks. Daggers for mounted stabbing and a dodge. Staff for levitate, anodyne (or galvanize with archstaff), and a weak magical ranged attack. Twinblade for the ranged slow/paralyze/gap closer and the powerful spinny move. And so on.

3. Don't take anything. Not even Rearmament. Just play it as a basic single vocation (as long as you don't want the maester skill). Now you can wear any armor you'd like, which is pretty sick. You can also swap weapons in the menu which is too annoying to do regularly in combat but is nice for things like levitating during exploration or breaking into locked houses with a ranged attack.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BIg Family Feud buzzer noise on this one. Am level 50 and love exploring, but this one was very easy to miss and there's no reason to go back there.

Yeah I have to say I never would have found the Sphinx organically.

That said, it makes logical sense in this case and I don't really mind using guides, I have a habit of doing that for big RPGs anyway, so I don't consider that a mark against it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

exploring is a reason to go back and explore places you haven't explored yet imho

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I have to say I never would have found the Sphinx organically
i didn't have trouble finding it organically, all the carvings in the dungeon leading up to it were a bit of a giveaway

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah a pawn I hired just called a Hobgoblin a slur. That's some pretty stupid localisation right there

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I found her accidentally because I was looking for a passageway back to the locked gate at the entrance to the ancient battlegrounds. I was kinda miffed cause I wasn't ready for her.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I decided to start over again so I added my new pawn to the spreadsheet, hopefully my tall lady will be leveling quickly but if anybody is low level still/just started playing and wants to take her for a spin go ahead.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Someone tell me that the mystic spearhand maister skill sucks because I just unlocked it and it looks extremely cool but I don't necessarily want to switch off warfarer yet

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

Woah a pawn I hired just called a Hobgoblin a slur. That's some pretty stupid localisation right there

You're gonna have to tell us what the slur was.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Crowetron posted:

Someone tell me that the mystic spearhand maister skill sucks because I just unlocked it and it looks extremely cool but I don't necessarily want to switch off warfarer yet

it eats a lot of stamina for how much damage it puts out. it does look very cool but its kind of weird

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Crowetron posted:

It sucks and uses too much stamina for the damage it does. Most maister skills outside of magick archer, thief, and both of sorc's spells aren't that great

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally started DD2!

I immediately recognized Rook lol

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I can kinda see this one. I only went back there to kill a monster nearby that I was previously unequipped for and I happened to do another scrape through the area in case I missed anything. The world map doesn't give you a great indication of how much of that area is still unexplored depending on where you've been around there previously. That said it was still super sick and the sphinx is awesome.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sea Lily posted:

it eats a lot of stamina for how much damage it puts out. it does look very cool but its kind of weird

Gyoru posted:

It sucks and uses too much stamina for the damage it does. Most maister skills outside of magick archer, thief, and both of sorc's spells aren't that great

Thank you. I got fooled by the warrior maister skill and am glad to avoid the mid-combat disappointment a second time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SHISHKABOB posted:

You're gonna have to tell us what the slur was.

It's the one for Irish Travellers that starts with a K

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Warfarer is great, honestly. Being able to pick any outfit is massive for fashion, but mostly I like being able to just carry a bow so I can murder all the loving harpies populating every high spot on the map, as well as take potshots when the monster's having a tantrum/floating over me.

I found the Sphinx entirely by accident, but haven't touched the riddles. I think I've found her second spot too, when I was trying to get into battahl

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just to be sure while I am in the thread: Are do quests still expire if the main plot is progressed? I know that if there is a clock by it in the log, there is an actual timer in terms of actual in game days.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Unlucky7 posted:

Just to be sure while I am in the thread: Are do quests still expire if the main plot is progressed? I know that if there is a clock by it in the log, there is an actual timer in terms of actual in game days.

A few may based on certain thresholds like doing the masquerade and another one late in the game, and there are one or two npcs who go away.
I also believe there's a quest in the training area early on that goes away if you go to the main city, since he never triggered for me.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shoehead posted:

Knackers? They're called knackers, you get knacker fangs and such. Knacker is a generic word anyway with several different meanings in English. The old knacker's had it, I'm knackered, my knee is knackered, etc etc

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Shoehead posted:

https://www.gamerguides.com/dragons-dogma-2/database/monsters/goblins/knacker

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The very first pawn I hired was Shaq

We're back

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Knockers/Knackers are also a type of fairy. I don't think I would have immediately gone for thinking that was a slur, but then again that's one of the hard bits with localization. It's really not easy to know if something might have a very inappropriate regional use.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
While i hate the weird jumpscare esque thing where pawns automatically talk to you, I was pleased to see a pawn that I previously adventured with made themselves available again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure my pawn has the Dragonblight. She's not really giving me lip yet, but she suddenly has red eyes instead of blue ones.

Do I just throw her into the brine? I kind of want to see what happens next, but I don't want to wait until it's too late, either.

e: I'm also pretty sure I know the culprit:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

While i hate the weird jumpscare esque thing where pawns automatically talk to you, I was pleased to see a pawn that I previously adventured with made themselves available again.

Yeah and sometimes it's like they're magnetic.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Nuebot posted:

my life could be so much different if I'd bought that fancy box, made a fake, and given the fake to that annoying prince.

Damnit. I just gave him the real one because I haven't found the forger yet.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Finished the game.

I kind of want to start over and play again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure my pawn has the Dragonblight. She's not really giving me lip yet, but she suddenly has red eyes instead of blue ones.

Do I just throw her into the brine? I kind of want to see what happens next, but I don't want to wait until it's too late, either.

e: I'm also pretty sure I know the culprit:

I just rested and they're back to blue again? I don't know what's up with that. It might mean she passed it on to some other pawn in the meantime. Be wary if you recently hired her.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I tried buying the box and gifting it to the guy and I think it broke that quest? I had to reload and talk to him to give him the money.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Magic Archer and Warfarer are unlocked right before the end of the game. Magic Archer is difficult to miss.

I don't know if I'd say it's hard to miss. It requires a side-quest that definitely isn't obviously "the prerequisite to Magic Archer." And I think you would only run into the guy who gives it if you enter the island via the southern path? So if the story has you enter via the north path, you wouldn't run into it.

Warfarer actually is kind of hard to miss since the guy starts talking to you in the town near the hot springs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW at the intro, if I weren't a huge coward and held my ground instead, what would have happened if I won? I tried to throw a boulder at the overseer to start with but it didn't let me

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shoehead posted:

They're not calling them a slur you doofus.

"The Knocker, Knacker, or Tommyknocker is a mythical, subterranean, gnome-like creature in Cornish and Devon folklore. The Welsh counterpart is the coblyn. It is closely related to the Irish leprechaun, Kentish kloker and the English and Scottish brownie. The Cornish described the creature as a little person 2 ft 0 in (0.61 m) tall, with a disproportionately large head, long arms, wrinkled skin, and white whiskers. It wears a tiny version of standard miner's garb and commits random mischief, such as stealing miners' unattended tools and food. "

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vargs posted:

I bought this yesterday and I'd just like to mention that while I generally like it and think it improves the game, it''s quite disappointing that you don't get the old Gran Soren town music in Vernworth. I can understand why Into Free ain't there but c'mon.

I do not understand why it isn't there and was hoping for it. I sat for so long after activating it wondering if it worked or if I misremembered the song taking forever to get radical and it was just sad la la music

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Yeah it's busted and is like the only hard power move spearhand gets. There's a fight where you are debuffed to do barely any damage and the thing still kills the guy in like 2 rotations

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Man Thief can do some absolute bullshit. With Gut & Run and Powder Blast the moment you knock most enemies down you can just chain stagger them by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I caved and set my pawn quest to Golden Trove Beetle for 10k, because I'm just not finding any more of them. I want to stress that you should only help me out in this way if you've already reached the cap yourself and have some spares (someone earlier was saying he somehow had dozens of them). Otherwise, keep them for yourself, raising your encumbrance limit is really useful.