Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Yuffie's Brumal Form can kind of do that. Or Perfect Defense materia and go Sekiro on his rear end with perfect blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

lines posted:

I'm a bit confused about the Chadley-related cutscene during the Nibel protorelic quest. Can someone explain? How is Chadley in Hojo's lab if he's all around the world?

I'm pretty sure that's Chadley's real body and the one we've been interacting with is a cyborg body of some sort. The body we see in the lab also had a barcode on it's hand that our Chadley doesn't have and looks like it might be a fully grown body and not a kid(though it's a little hard to tell with the cloth covering the rest of the body). We're probably going to have to rescue the real Chadley in part 3

lines posted:

Oh yeah, also, what do the numbers mean on the robed men?

Hojo just likes to number his experiments. It's basically the order in which they were turned.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 30, 2024

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rhonne posted:

Hojo just likes to number his experiments. It's basically the order in which they were turned.

See also: Red XIII

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

MechaX posted:

Introducing a boss like Odin in a game where evades are not like Bayonetta dodges and poo poo is an… interesting choice

Got really close to beating him, definitely going to just cheese him with Cloud’s Punisher mode parry the next time I fight him, gently caress trying to dodge his attacks with his absurd attack tracking and these weak evades

Both of the ReGames are really particular about this: dodges are generally only supposed to be used against attacks that can't be dodged unless you're Tifa or Yuffie, and everything else is supposed to be blocked, or perfectly blocked if you can manage that. As far as I know you can still block Odin's non-unblockable attacks, and his non-non-unblockable attacks are typically pretty easy to avoid. Also, cast Bio and Deprotect on him.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Instant Grat posted:

It still bothers me a lot how light Reno and Rude's characterization is after they killed literal thousands of people at Sector 7. They should not get to be Charismatic Recurring Mini-villains after something like that.

I did not understand the 'let them live' shtick either. Tifa and Barret of all people would have turned their heads into mulch, it's very odd they just moved on from their last encounter in the temple. Perhaps in part 3 when they meet for the final time in the train tunnels under Midgar, the party won't just let them walk away. Even my kid self thought that was a ridiculous thing to do after what happened with sector 7

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MechaX posted:

Introducing a boss like Odin in a game where evades are not like Bayonetta dodges and poo poo is an… interesting choice

Got really close to beating him, definitely going to just cheese him with Cloud’s Punisher mode parry the next time I fight him, gently caress trying to dodge his attacks with his absurd attack tracking and these weak evades

his assess dialogue is sort of a misnomer - it recommends evading because zantetsuken is on a sliding scale of damage taken vs damage inflicted, and when it tips too far into odin's favor, he ends the fight. punisher counters would probably be better because you're doing far more damage than you take that way

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

lines posted:

Oh yeah, also, what do the numbers mean on the robed men?

I'm pretty sure they indicate which of Hojo's experiments they are. Some of them have letters, which probably tells you exactly what he injected them with, since some guys got plain Jenova cells and others ("S-Type") got Sephiroth cells instead.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Scotch and Kotch's stupid rap intro did not need to be that long but hell I'm glad it was

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Scotch and Kotch's stupid rap intro did not need to be that long but hell I'm glad it was

That whole sequence is great. I especially liked the intermission where the staff bring out benches and a vending machine so everyone can have a nice sit before the fight

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

One of the most unintentionally (I think) funny bits about the post nibelham chapters is how often Vincent and Cid are just chilling with the gang but not fighting so whenever there is a big fight you get a cut to one or both of them sort of watching

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad the game manages to find the space to fit a third musical number.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I admire their tenacity in keeping up their "Corneoland" commentary bit, even after the Don's been trounced and the Feds have shown up.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

One of the most unintentionally (I think) funny bits about the post nibelham chapters is how often Vincent and Cid are just chilling with the gang but not fighting so whenever there is a big fight you get a cut to one or both of them sort of watching

The best one of those is outside of the Temple of the Ancients, where Cid is like "Whoa no I'm absolutely not going in there, but don't you worry, I'll be here to give you a quick exit once you return", it's all part of an actual cutscene. And then if you walk over to Vincent after the cutscene and talk to him he literally just says "I've got nothing" :lol:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Vincent being involved in the queens blood quest makes perfect character and narrative sense and also absolutely feels like they just needed to give him more to do

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Vincent being involved in the queens blood quest makes perfect character and narrative sense and also absolutely feels like they just needed to give him more to do

I don't know how to express this, but Vincent Valentine being a Yu-Gi-Oh nerd on top of everything else I know about him makes perfect sense.

Also lol that he didn't help out in any of the combat, but he'll pull out the dual pistols when evil cards start getting involved

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Vincent and Kujata are both things I didn't get on my first playthrough of ff7 so sometimes I just forget they both exist. I'm picking up my save game on switch I abandoned to start remake back in February and I don't even remember where Kujata is. I assume gongaga adjacent?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Vincent and Kujata are both things I didn't get on my first playthrough of ff7 so sometimes I just forget they both exist. I'm picking up my save game on switch I abandoned to start remake back in February and I don't even remember where Kujata is. I assume gongaga adjacent?

You can find Kujata in the sleeping forest on the way from Bone Village to the Forgotten Capital

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

What’s the strategy for Rufus in chapter 12? I won the fight on the first try, but it was really messy and I wasn’t sure how I was ever actually supposed to attack in the first phase. I got a lucky stagger, then Bahamut got me to the second phase, which felt a lot more manageable, but it was very frustrating, and I have no clue what I was expected to do there.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

You can find Kujata in the sleeping forest on the way from Bone Village to the Forgotten Capital

I remember this. It was deliberately made to look like a leaf falling off one of the trees so if you were quick enough you could grab it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What’s the strategy for Rufus in chapter 12? I won the fight on the first try, but it was really messy and I wasn’t sure how I was ever actually supposed to attack in the first phase. I got a lucky stagger, then Bahamut got me to the second phase, which felt a lot more manageable, but it was very frustrating, and I have no clue what I was expected to do there.

I did it on dynamic by mostly just blocking and getting some chip atb with a weapon swing after his named attacks and then punishing him when he reloads with my atb attacks. I was surprised BC I remember reading a lot of people struggling with it but it felt like a redo of the last fight with him

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Most boss fights is basically 'block, and don't be the first to attack'

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Much like the first game he gets staggered instantly if you Braver him while reloading.

The issue here now is that he's much harder because:
1. A lot of his moves knock you on your rear end if they land
2. He'll take that opportunity to Reload, giving you less opportunity to actually learn which moves or sequences of moves cause him to 'naturally' reload (Guns Akimbo will always do it)
3. He Reloads fast enough that you need to actually predict it, or else your Braver will land too late.

The 'safer' method is hitting him with ranged basic attacks (attack out of a dodge) while he reloads, and then using Focused Thrust.

The Punisher Mode counter will work on exactly one of his moves (Upthrust or something like that) but otherwise staying in Operator mode is preferable because it's better at blocking ranged attacks.

Basically the 'intended' method is blocking or dodging constantly until he uses Guns Akimbo or a similar move, knowing that this is going to cause him to Reload, and hitting Braver as a shortcut before you even see the word 'Reload' appear.

The annoying part of this is if you ranged-attack while too close to him (which you want to be, so your Braver will land!) and Cloud just goes into a normal basic attack which will get you knocked on your rear end. Only do three-hit attacks after dodging, I guess?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

bewilderment posted:

The 'safer' method is hitting him with ranged basic attacks (attack out of a dodge) while he reloads, and then using Focused Thrust.

You can just use Focused Thrust without bothering with the ranged basics. The first hit of the Thrust will pressure him, and most of the stagger is backloaded anyway.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Chapter 12: lol at yuffie of all people trying to say cait sith is an rear end in a top hat who can't be trusted BC he stole from the party

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Chapter 12: lol at yuffie of all people trying to say cait sith is an rear end in a top hat who can't be trusted BC he stole from the party

Hey she hasn't stolen anything from the team...yet.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So I’m still in the beginning of the game—loving the gently caress out of it btw—but it sounds like they didn’t correct the one complaint I had with the combat? Attacks that come out somewhat fast and totally rob you of controlling the selected character for long stretches are not really a good mechanic. Game’s lucky the whole system is based around swapping characters or that poo poo would be unforgivable. Genuinely my only complaint with the combat in Remake.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

2. He'll take that opportunity to Reload, giving you less opportunity to actually learn which moves or sequences of moves cause him to 'naturally' reload (Guns Akimbo will always do it)

Similarly in phase 2 he'll always reload after the ice attack, I forget what it is called.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Apologies if this is an old topic here but the moss grown adamantoise is wrecking my poo poo.

I try to hit its "blind spot" with blizzard while it's doing barrier and that never seems to do anything. The front part gets covered with barrier and the back part doesn't. I literally just had red cast blizzara from behind while I could see the word barrier above it, and nothing happened. It then super wrecks my poo poo.

Edit: just cast protect and shell on the party which also didn't help.

Edit: ok. Pressured him using the elemental ice instead of the spells, since that goes off faster. Then used arcane ward and any time anyone got an atb, used blizzara inside the ward for a double cast. It was still a damage race and I only just won.

redreader fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 30, 2024

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I just did the first Nibel region protorelic quest

This game is going to make me do this three more times isn’t it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MechaX posted:

:sickos:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

redreader posted:

Apologies if this is an old topic here but the moss grown adamantoise is wrecking my poo poo.

I try to hit its "blind spot" with blizzard while it's doing barrier and that never seems to do anything. The front part gets covered with barrier and the back part doesn't. I literally just had red cast blizzara from behind while I could see the word barrier above it, and nothing happened. It then super wrecks my poo poo.

Edit: just cast protect and shell on the party which also didn't help.

I'm pretty sure it's weak to fire spells, so use fira whenever you can and just spend time avoiding its attacks.
I usually played as Barret, kept my distance and casted fire spells whenever I had the ATB.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

unattended spaghetti posted:

So I’m still in the beginning of the game—loving the gently caress out of it btw—but it sounds like they didn’t correct the one complaint I had with the combat? Attacks that come out somewhat fast and totally rob you of controlling the selected character for long stretches are not really a good mechanic. Game’s lucky the whole system is based around swapping characters or that poo poo would be unforgivable. Genuinely my only complaint with the combat in Remake.

This feels less like luck and more like intentional design choices.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I love this game and a lot of the changes from Remake, but I am genuinely impressed by how much worse the leveling system feels. Objectively, you're getting just about the same results as the weapon galaxies, but with a little more variability in the final result. Subjectively, though, so much of it is streamlined to the point you don't notice it happening (like materia slots and minor power increases) or it's only unlocking a sidegrade for one of your weapon slots and it feels like you never get enough points on level up to do anything. In Rm, getting a weapon level up felt great, now it's just something you might get to eventually. The bookstore vending machines in improbable locations are way more immersion breaking than "you can upgrade stuff, don't think about it." At least make it a Chadley controlled drone, then it can explain why it's in this goddamn cave that has never been visited by humans.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

do not dare question the magical vending machines. They have existed since time immemorial and have silently witnessed eons of human history. To them civilizations rise and fall in the blink of an eye. Your meager existence is like that of a bug to them, over so quickly they would never even notice you were there. Also, their sales are incredible, one of them gave me three Diet Cokes for only a quarter last week.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Augus posted:

Your meager existence is like that of a bug to them,

This is actually the company slogan for Clear Icicle.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

they were made by the whispers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I dunno, with that kind of progression stuff I have found myself more and more aligned with Tim Rogers's perspective in that "they wanted to make a cinematic action-adventure game but they have to have enough RPG trappings to feel like it belongs in the franchise, and that's a good thing."

Like the combat feels good to me in that it feels like a party with clearly distinct roles and synergies, and I'm getting new combat options regularly to keep things fresh. I really thought I'd feel some dissonance in leveling up materia and unlocking abilities from scratch that I already did in the first game, but oddly enough that really hasn't felt like a big deal to me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

MechaX posted:

The first time was probably the most annoying imo I think that was less painful than cactuar crush for me. I thought it was funny you get the l2 prompt to shove them despite it not really helping much like they knew it was annoying as hell when they made it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

instead of pressing the shove button just walk into their models to push them toward where they’re going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Well I finished off most of the brutal/legendary VR stuff, all thanks to this single youtuber: https://www.youtube.com/@Optinooby/videos I even subbed to him for month via his patreon because his guides are literally the best I've ever seen for distilling complexity into easy to understand language with lots of affirmations and reminders. This guy needs to get into quantum mechanics so he explain to me how that works too.

Last two legendary bouts are all that's left and seem the most ridiculous of them all. No easy cheese, forced into using characters you normally never use, and 10 rounds. Seriously who the gently caress thinks a 10 round boss fest with no checkpoints is doable in anyway for 99% of players? Thank god for those few that spent hours upon hours figuring out the guides for this stuff, they need to be getting payed by S-E.

Anyway hoping to wrap up these last two VR and then start my Hard mode run. Haven't really soured on the game yet due to me knowing full well I didn't have the patience to gently caress around with this hard stuff and was going to use guides for it. If this youtuber didn't have such good videos I probably wouldn't even be bothering with the Plat.

Also protip for a Barret mechanic I didn't even know existed prior to watching these guides: do a quick triangle push at the end of every action to recharge the triangle ability for basically free.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 30, 2024