Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Clarste posted:

Didn't Sparkle like knock you out and toss you into the Bad Zone? Although maybe you can consider that good since she's helping your investigation.

Yeah she was literally trying to help. That is her helping. Sparkle has done nothing but try to help the MC for basically her entire time on screen, it's just that her assistance is... non-intuitive.

I continue to be completely right about this:

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I feel bad for everyone saying Sparkle is a villain, is just trying to be an rear end in a top hat, is poorly written, etc.

It's clear to me she is working to destroy the Penacony Dreamworld, which is based on some sort of deeply hosed up injustice towards a child/children.

She tried to communicate that with the trailblazer by taking them to the Child's Dream, but of course they're too obsessed with talking trash cans, their fake GF, and Aventurines eyes to notice.

She is literally the most moral person in the Penacony story thus far, and is the only one taking action to fight the injustice.

Shame on all of you! Aha! Ahahaha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Endorph posted:

i dont think any of the secrets are meant to be like, shocking swerves really. most of them are pretty obvious if you pay that much attention to things and the characters basically say 'i have a secret' when they walk onscreen. its just a thematic thing, its not trying to blow your mind

If every single character outside the galaxy express is dishonest with you, there's no real emotional impact from their betrayal/reveal. More is more has always been the Hoyo way though

e: I really did think gallagher was going to be the one exception, they got me

padijun fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 30, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

padijun posted:

If every single character outside the galaxy express is dishonest with you, there's no real emotional impact from their betrayal/reveal
again though, i dont think the emotional impact is meant to be in the reveals themselves, its meant to be in how the character expresses them. like i dont think they were writing this stuff imagining you pogging out every 5 lines, its meant to be the sum total of them and how they inform everyones characters

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

basically this update was 90% adventure boy pity party and it was awful

i actually think the writing was ok to good, its definitely better than loving snore-fu planet where they built 1 interesting character and the immediately threw them in a toilet and flushed it while fart noises played. i cant stand this gambling prick tho. i legit hope he dies and him joining the party is like his loving ghost or alternate universe self or something

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I think people are reacting... very strongly to the 2.X characters so far and it's got me a bit worried

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
this has been the tone of the thread since at least topaz

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Better than people just saying mommy about Kafka or whatever.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

*insert gambling analogy involving chips here*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Better than people just saying mommy about Kafka or whatever.
i would prefer that tbh. not by much but

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

I think it’s amusing, similar to the anti-topaz vs pro-topaz rallies a bit back.
Guess this is gonna happen with every IPC gem holder release

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Indecisive posted:

i actually think the writing was ok to good, its definitely better than loving snore-fu planet where they built 1 interesting character and the immediately threw them in a toilet and flushed it while fart noises played. i cant stand this gambling prick tho. i legit hope he dies and him joining the party is like his loving ghost or alternate universe self or something

Please point on the doll which body part Adventurine won from you in a bet.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

They gotta stop having regular scenes with Alley. I did that Dreamscape quest. She's very distracting now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I want to revisit Sparkle's words from last patch, because it turns out when she says Sigonians are all liars and cheats, every single one, she means Aventurine and him alone since he's the only one now.

I just think that specific line gained an interesting new light to it.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I like that we’re getting more ambiguous and/or downright nasty characters, especially if they’re playable. Belobog was fun but every interpersonal conflict was resolved in nearly 30 seconds via a very lighthearted power of friendship dialogue, because once everyone was on the same page they all shared the same goals and were good people who would be pals. Penacony has more of an actual character-driven conflict (so far, I’m not done) where they have competing goals and are actively willing to gently caress each over other for it.

and awful interesting characters are always more fun than generically good ones imo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Indecisive posted:

I respect your opinion but I can't imagine being this mad about a video game...

have you tried smoking a bowl before playing or something

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I want to revisit Sparkle's words from last patch, because it turns out when she says Sigonians are all liars and cheats, every single one, she means Aventurine and him alone since he's the only one now.

I just think that specific line gained an interesting new light to it.

Sigonians still exist. Avgins don't. The stereotype is that the Avgins are clever thieves and she's applying it to all Sigonians. The Katicans are a clan of marauders and the ones who wiped out all the Avgin. The story is in the Sigonia planar ornament set, basically the IPC came and helped Sigonia form a government and that government united all the Clans except the Avgin and Katican and exiled them to the desert saying they have full autonomy (so the government doesn't have to intervene if anything happens).

Also yes, Aventurine is space Kurapika.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I dont like the roulette table on aventurine's jacket

I do like when he makes it rain coins on all the enemies though

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Eej posted:

Sigonians still exist. Avgins don't. The stereotype is that the Avgins are clever thieves and she's applying it to all Sigonians. The Katicans are a clan of marauders and the ones who wiped out all the Avgin. The story is in the Sigonia planar ornament set, basically the IPC came and helped Sigonia form a government and that government united all the Clans except the Avgin and Katican and exiled them to the desert saying they have full autonomy (so the government doesn't have to intervene if anything happens).

Also yes, Aventurine is space Kurapika.

That's not how I took the story The IPC convinced the Avgins they would support them against the Katicans and when that turned into a massacre used the whole thing as a reason to take over the planet and form the Sigonian government. Basically they tricked the Avgins into dying so that the IPC would have legal reason to gently caress up the Katicans and take over the planet. Something Aventurine is aware of about the IPC in fact.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I respect your opinion but I can't imagine being this mad about a video game...

have you tried smoking a bowl before playing or something

sorry that you're incapable of naming any emotion other than anger

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Indecisive posted:

epic burn bro

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's not how I took the story The IPC convinced the Avgins they would support them against the Katicans and when that turned into a massacre used the whole thing as a reason to take over the planet and form the Sigonian government. Basically they tricked the Avgins into dying so that the IPC would have legal reason to gently caress up the Katicans and take over the planet. Something Aventurine is aware of about the IPC in fact.

yeah there's like, nowhere in Sigonia to exile anyone to, it's a wasteland planet that's constantly getting turbofucked by lightning and meteor barrages. lorewise it was cool to get a look at a religious belief system that seems outside the universal aeonic one, no wonder Aventurine doesn't give a poo poo about the Fools or Preservation even beyond the whole genocide thing

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

YES bread posted:

yeah there's like, nowhere in Sigonia to exile anyone to, it's a wasteland planet that's constantly getting turbofucked by lightning and meteor barrages. lorewise it was cool to get a look at a religious belief system that seems outside the universal aeonic one, no wonder Aventurine doesn't give a poo poo about the Fools or Preservation even beyond the whole genocide thing

I think the reason we don't see many other religions is that Aeons are real and regularly give people magical powers. They do seem to make a point of emphasizing that different groups might have very different names and impressions of the same Aeons, though. The ones we use most often are just the IPC ones.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Indecisive posted:

I don't know what you mean?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

I think the reason we don't see many other religions is that Aeons are real and regularly give people magical powers. They do seem to make a point of emphasizing that different groups might have very different names and impressions of the same Aeons, though. The ones we use most often are just the IPC ones.

Also for what it is worth the description of the Avgin's goddess (three eyed woman) somewhat matches what we know of Harmony to an extent (three headed/faced feminine figure). Which is why I suspect Aventurine might want to destroy Penaconey if he does in fact want to do so, he questions how valid his faith's goddess was if she let horrible things happen to the Avgin constantly.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I think all factions should be introduced by the catcakes singing a mournful lullaby about how all factions - regardless of surface goodness and goals - worship uncaring gods and that their institutions grind characters down into small, sacrificial cogs to further the paths.

Except Akivili because expanding public transport is good :hai:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lord_Magmar posted:

https://honkai-star-rail.fandom.com/wiki/Sigonia,_the_Unclaimed_Desolation

The planar set description straight up says that the IPC set up the government and the Sigonians themselves decided to exile the undesirables though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Eej posted:

https://honkai-star-rail.fandom.com/wiki/Sigonia,_the_Unclaimed_Desolation

The planar set description straight up says that the IPC set up the government and the Sigonians themselves decided to exile the undesirables though.

Fair enough, I got something different from Aventurine's flashbacks and how they seemed to frame what had happened overall. But I hadn't yet read the full planar set stuff.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

padijun posted:

If every single character outside the galaxy express is dishonest with you, there's no real emotional impact from their betrayal/reveal.

There's not supposed to be in most cases. It's not about the fact there is more beneath the surface being a shock, it's about exploring what that is and what it means to the people involved. Like wow, the slimy corporate suit is more than he appears. That's not a shock. The point is exploring what his suicidal ideation means for his motivations and actions. How he's not just what he appears on the surface.

Hell, this entire new event is about exploring the internal life of the "monsters" we've been fighting. Which is always....great. Thank you for reminding me I am murdering sentient beings with loves, hopes, and dreams. I feel so much better now! Thankfully it got me from e2 Gallagher to e4, so I forgive it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This last 3 pages explaining why Paimon exists

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Sorry if this is out of nowhere but since we're kinda talking about characters, what's the deal with Dr. Ratio? I don't understand him. From the earlier quests to this main story quest I don't really get why he does what he does.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He's basically a nice guy trying to help everyone.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Something I just put together with Aventurine is that he doesn't really care about speed in a follow-up team. The more follow-ups, and the more the party is attacked, the more he follows up and refreshes his shield. It might not be wrong to give him defense boots, especially if you're giving him a crit damage chest for more damage on his follow-ups and ult.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He does care about speed. He can only 3 get stacks per personal turn from follow up attacks.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Clarste posted:

classic soft heart, sharp tongue type

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Zebia posted:

Sorry if this is out of nowhere but since we're kinda talking about characters, what's the deal with Dr. Ratio? I don't understand him. From the earlier quests to this main story quest I don't really get why he does what he does.

He's a narcissist who thinks everyone else should be as attractive, intelligent and capable as he is. So he is teaching them how to be more like himself, except he's a narcissist so he's a dick about it.

He considers himself the perfect man, and that everyone should aspire to be like him.

Thus Dr Veritas (Truth/Golden) Ratio.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

qbert posted:

Is Adventurine morally worse than Topaz? Also, has Sparkle done anything bad yet? Impersonating Robin is more Chaotic Neutral.

I dunno, I don't think you get to be a rank or two higher in the corporate ladder than the literal planetary debt collector without stepping on a whole lotta innocent lives, hopes, and dreams

Clarste posted:

He very much reads as a "started out as an optimist, realized how stupid other people really are and how little [non-gendered ironically cutesy parental nickname goes here] Nous gives a poo poo about all his efforts, and now tries to help make other people be less stupid while complaining about the situation at literally every moment" type of dude to me

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aventurine has definitely ruined people's lives, hopes and dreams. For example, he ruined the hopes and dreams of his master, the former Aventurine, by killing him with his own shackles.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
So what's a good light cone for Acheron if you don't have her/Kafka's LC or Good Night and Sleep Well? I'm in the process of building her and I realized that I don't have any LCs that would be any good for her. Any of the LCs from the shops or even a 3* worth looking at?

Forgive me if someone answered this already, but I've been skipping past most of the thread since I only just started the new chapter tonight

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

qbert posted:

Anyone play the new event yet? I enjoyed it a lot more than the Critters poo poo and Siobhan is a very likable bartender.

It's great-- I like the characters, and the minigame is fun. I spent extra time experimenting and making the drink colors look nice while fulfilling each request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

So what's a good light cone for Acheron if you don't have her/Kafka's LC or Good Night and Sleep Well? I'm in the process of building her and I realized that I don't have any LCs that would be any good for her. Any of the LCs from the shops or even a 3* worth looking at?

Forgive me if someone answered this already, but I've been skipping past most of the thread since I only just started the new chapter tonight

The Welt LC is technically in a shop, but well, not the most accessible. Past that your options are pretty bad. Prydwen suggests Fermata from the Forgotten Hall store, which has a damage buff if they're affected by shock or wind shear, so you could pick a dot character as one of her Nihility partners.