Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
We'll just pasteurize the dairy workers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Start distributing hand sanitizer to the cows ASAP

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Flawless

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

the mooer remover

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

It's just the flu

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

:drat:

I can feel the utter frustration coming from this site, and I am here for it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zantie posted:

Direct link to the calculator here: https://partnersplatform.who.int/tools/aria/calculator

I feel like this got missed by a lot of people so I'm adding someone else's summary. I actually find it encouraging as it means they're only using airborne transmission for their calculator.

https://twitter.com/_CatintheHat/status/1773676758882988331

edit: the link below should send you to a non-Twitter page with the whole thing laid out

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1773676758882988331.html

A reminder of their previous stance:
https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1243972193169616898

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
moo flu

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

maxwellhill posted:

I wonder if there's some sweet spot of exposure frequency that is "the worst possible". Some point where if you got infected even more often than that, you'd probably still be fresh off the previous infection with the same dominant local strain, your antibodies to that one are still activated, you're not done being sick yet and all it's doing is extending the tail of one sickness semi-protectively that much longer.

Maybe it could explain how so many people who just face-tank crowds without any pauses only seem to get hit once per wave, whenever a wildly different strain hits everyone, while others get who aren't out there so much get unlucky almost monthly.

That would also have implications that if such individuals ever *do* take a pause from crowds, they can expect to be sick right when they resume the usual facetanking, because they finally let their nature's vaccine titers decay.

Old reply but it’s a topic of some significance.

I don’t believe that it’s a true hypothesis because antigenic drift is too fast in SARS‑CoV‑2.

However, I suspect that policymakers believe it to be true.

The UK’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation is open about “natural boosters” as a supposed rationale for their deeply harmful policy not to vaccinate children against chickenpox. It’s not a huge leap to suggest that the same people have similar beliefs about COVID‑19.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

was on the bus today
wearing my usual aura
saw a guy get on wearing a GVS Elipse p100
immedately felt shameful i wasn't also donning my p100, shameful display
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay9ZxsulN2c&t=3s

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Steely Dad posted:

the mooer remover

the remoover

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
GIMME FLU GIMME MOO GIMME SANI FOR THIS TOO

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
THIS IS BIDEMIC

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qAsBDqqrgc

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

ehhh people are really flexible on their "unshakeable" beliefs when material conditions change

this works both ways - like how 70%+ of australians (towards the end of our lockdowns) said that we shouldn't go back to normal if it meant 5,000 people would die over the next year. then we went back to normal and 15,000-20,000 died in the next year, and no one really gave a poo poo.

Glad other people still remember that survey. It's not news that the state prioritizes economic interests over the public, but it was an esp clear case where the public can clearly and before-the-fact indicate that they wanted to avert a certain level death and the state went ahead and allowed an order of magnitude more death.

Ultimately what do you want people to do? They have to adapt their beliefs to the new normal because they didn't get a choice in the matter, as the Australian case demonstrates so well. It's the same situation with any of the other problems that have been deemed insoluble by the status quo, like climate change or chronic homelessness etc. Insisting that more should be done when we all know nothing will be done is futile and will just get you labeled a tedious shrill.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mycomancy posted:

Answer this question: which is a product and which is a cost?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nocturtle posted:

Glad other people still remember that survey. It's not news that the state prioritizes economic interests over the public, but it was an esp clear case where the public can clearly and before-the-fact indicate that they wanted to avert a certain level death and the state went ahead and allowed an order of magnitude more death.

Ultimately what do you want people to do? They have to adapt their beliefs to the new normal because they didn't get a choice in the matter, as the Australian case demonstrates so well. It's the same situation with any of the other problems that have been deemed insoluble by the status quo, like climate change or chronic homelessness etc. Insisting that more should be done when we all know nothing will be done is futile and will just get you labeled a tedious shrill.
Yeah :smith:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Zantie posted:

Yeah, moth-shot = best-shot

I disagree with this, there is some evidence that the self-amplifying mRNA vaccines are better than any other option. Unfortunately you have to be in Japan to get it right now.

On the subject of vaccines Hilda Bastian posted another summary of next generation COVID vaccine development yesterday. It's always a good rundown of current research. Stuff is happening, but can't help but notice that the amounts being spent on next-generation vaccine research of all types are a small fraction of the amount shoveled into the Ukraine bonfire just last week.

Why do researchers in the UK love challenge trials so much:

quote:

Human challenge program: Mucosal Immunity in human Coronavirus Challenge (MusiCC)

This is a new 5-year program led by Imperial College London to speed development and access to mucosal coronavirus vaccines by running placebo-controlled human challenge trials. That involves trying to infect volunteers under controlled conditions, which means trials that can establish whether infection is blocked can be completed quickly, with fewer volunteers than a standard trial.
The first step is deciding on which variant of SARS-CoV-2 will be used, and then developing a version that can be used in the trials. Imperial College London has done this before. Their team published the results of a Covid human challenge trial with 36 people to test the process. They were able to infect just over half the participants with a version of the original virus (wild type).
There was a similar-sounding UK COVID challenge trial where IIRC they unsurprisingly gave the expected fraction of participants longer term post-infection impacts.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Splitting hairs on the definition of airborne always seemed like a stupid take.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

I disagree with this, there is some evidence that the self-amplifying mRNA vaccines are better than any other option. Unfortunately you have to be in Japan to get it right now.
more like be in Japan, over 65 and have serious health issues.
Should we amend to ‘best shot that’s still theoretically available in the West?’

Also anyone know whatever happened to using ASOs to block infection? This dates from 2022, the last thing I found was some PLOS1 paper going ‘ya know we should really pursue this.’

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

Splitting hairs on the definition of airborne always seemed like a stupid take.

It was about indemnifying business

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
With novavax do I have to restart the series? Or can I just get the booster? I've only had Moderna and Pfizer until now.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

With novavax do I have to restart the series? Or can I just get the booster? I've only had Moderna and Pfizer until now.

also wanted to ask this as i think we are due to be topped off + my wife cant find her vaccine card and i told her to not worry about it when we get the novavax as no one cares anymore, and i dont know if this is accurate?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Don't think there's any data on this.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zantie posted:

Direct link to the calculator here: https://partnersplatform.who.int/tools/aria/calculator

I feel like this got missed by a lot of people so I'm adding someone else's summary. I actually find it encouraging as it means they're only using airborne transmission for their calculator.

https://twitter.com/_CatintheHat/status/1773676758882988331

edit: the link below should send you to a non-Twitter page with the whole thing laid out

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1773676758882988331.html

had to double check the year on this tweet, jfc

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

there is no more series just the booster

tenderjerk posted:

also wanted to ask this as i think we are due to be topped off + my wife cant find her vaccine card and i told her to not worry about it when we get the novavax as no one cares anymore, and i dont know if this is accurate?
I haven’t been asked for a vaccine card since 2022. Even my doctors vaccination records are incomplete on how many I’ve gotten. Nobody cares anymore the pandemic is over, if you find some power tripping gatekeeping pharm tech just hit up the next franchise over there is no rhyme or reason to any of it anymore.

Oracle has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Mar 30, 2024

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo the bird flu that is going after bovines should be called BOVID

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

U-DO Burger posted:

it's just the flu bro

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
BOVID is over

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Bovid will be fine. There's herd immunity! I'm sure the people in charge will take stock of the situation. Have they ever steered us wrong? At least the steaks aren't that high and that's no bull.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Kragger99 posted:

Bovid will be fine. There's herd immunity! I'm sure the people in charge will take stock of the situation. Have they ever steered us wrong? At least the steaks aren't that high and that's no bull.

thankfully covid will make me forget this post

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

:sickos:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
there's already a bovine coronavirus, sorry yall

It's actually used as a control in wastewater monitoring assays :buddy:

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
human coronavirus is HOVID then

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

tuyop posted:

GIMME FLU GIMME MOO GIMME SANI FOR THIS TOO

This running gag has been my favorite part of this nightmare

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

U-DO Burger posted:

I'll suggest BORVID which is a combination of bovine + corvid + covid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'll suggest BORVID which is a combination of bovine + corvid + covid

Borevid, which is how America feels about Covid now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mycomancy posted:

If this happens you got like a week tops before everything collapses, no way you can have 50% lethality and not have your civilization start crumbling too. You just wind up not having enough people to run the place, not to mention all the knockoff deaths, the increased childhood mortality, the pure logistics of dealing with 500 million kilograms of rotting human flesh, the opportunistic wars. Real Biblical, cats and dogs living together poo poo.

In like four years I've never made any genuinely dire predictions because our society is poo poo and can absorb stupid amounts of death and suffering, but I don't think you actually need anywhere near 50% mortality to cause everything to fall apart. I think 5-15% is probably the magic range where society implodes just because COVID has so profoundly destroyed the concept of public health. That's the point where every family has a death and every workplace stops being able to function as most people choose to face tank the 1 in 10 death chance rather than taking the appropriate response of running in terror.

It can probably get really bad at <5% if non-fatal infections are extremely debilitating and/or require hospitalization. Nightmare scenario is a disease with actual lasting immunity from infection because survivors will have zero tolerance for anyone who wants to avoid infection.