Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Shinji2015 posted:

So what's a good light cone for Acheron if you don't have her/Kafka's LC or Good Night and Sleep Well? I'm in the process of building her and I realized that I don't have any LCs that would be any good for her. Any of the LCs from the shops or even a 3* worth looking at?

Forgive me if someone answered this already, but I've been skipping past most of the thread since I only just started the new chapter tonight

Do you have Patience Is All You Need or Incessant Rain? I'm assuming no, but without that your only other usable option is Fermata. I hope you have Black Swan and are willing to not run Kafka to run Acheron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm torn between taking Gallagher E6 and Xueyi E1 from the selector. I have them both mostly built. I wanted to use Xueyi because she's very cool, but at E0 her numbers are just shithouse compared to Qingque E6, and E1 won't do enough to address that. I'd still have to try to get the rest next time she's a rate-up. But I'm not sure Gallagher's E6 is very impactful either, since it doesn't affect his Besotted uptime at all. I'll also be getting Aventurine, which will probably mean I'm never using a non-limited sustain again outside of very niche circumstances.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 30, 2024

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tangents posted:

The Welt LC is technically in a shop, but well, not the most accessible. Past that your options are pretty bad. Prydwen suggests Fermata from the Forgotten Hall store, which has a damage buff if they're affected by shock or wind shear, so you could pick a dot character as one of her Nihility partners.

Eimi posted:

Do you have Patience Is All You Need or Incessant Rain? I'm assuming no, but without that your only other usable option is Fermata. I hope you have Black Swan and are willing to not run Kafka to run Acheron.

lol looks like I'm picking up a Fermata.

I assumed that Acheron would eat into my Kafka usage anyways since most of my good characters are DoT, so hopefully BS will be just as good for her as she is for Kafka

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
For what it's worth there is another 4* option for her coming down the pipe, so don't worry about needing a forever solution.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zebia posted:

Sorry if this is out of nowhere but since we're kinda talking about characters, what's the deal with Dr. Ratio? I don't understand him. From the earlier quests to this main story quest I don't really get why he does what he does.

Not bad...five points..!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As an interesting thought, if we ever get a 5 star Herta I wonder if she'll have the same thing as Acheron. Wanting 2 additional erudition characters for a huge increase in damage potential.

Since Herta is an Emanator of Erudition and her whole narrative thing is bringing together the Genius Society for a single project.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

rather an Ice team so yanqing can get some indirect buffs lol

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

GateOfD posted:

rather an Ice team so yanqing can get some indirect buffs lol

The problem is by design he kind of doesn't work. As there's no way to guarantee he won't take damage without some wild new taunt preservation unit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lord_Magmar posted:

The problem is by design he kind of doesn't work. As there's no way to guarantee he won't take damage without some wild new taunt preservation unit.

We're getting another shielder in 2 weeks, but Yanqing by design is bad because he's incredibly single target in a bad way. His closest comp is Dr Ratio who's still pretty flexible at letting his follow ups spread his damage beyond his one turn.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eej posted:

He does care about speed. He can only 3 get stacks per personal turn from follow up attacks.

That's from follow-ups, from his A6 trace. He also gains a stack every time someone with his shields is attacked, which is his Talent. I realized this is how it works when I fought one of the elite mobs guarding the chests. At one point, the enemies got so many turns in a row that Aventurine activated his follow-up 3 times in a row before any of my characters took another turn.

Basically, slow Aventurine can just endlessly tank without ever having to use his skill, and it doesn't matter if he even takes a turn. The only actual downside to being slow is he generates fewer skill points, but it gets him closer to the 4,000 defense he needs for the full value from his A2.

Think I'm going to build towards this to see if I like it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also, story good.

Gallagher! :staredog:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Although thinking about Yanqing. An Ice Harmony/Nihility designed around freezing enemies and keeping them from acting via ally attacks could help him out. That or an Ice Bronya.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I know it's dumb, but the writing in this drat game and the dialogue choices always manage to get a chuckle out of me. Forcing some security grunt to be angry with clockwork and then literally saying "COME AT ME BRO!" is just so stupid it makes me smile. The galactic baseballer poo poo should have gotten tired a few patches ago too but it still makes me chuckle.

Also just failed my 50/50 on Acheron to motherfucking E3 Yanqing, gently caress that stupid rear end in a top hat. I'm tempted to level him up just out of spite at this point.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bad Video Games posted:

That's from follow-ups, from his A6 trace. He also gains a stack every time someone with his shields is attacked, which is his Talent. I realized this is how it works when I fought one of the elite mobs guarding the chests. At one point, the enemies got so many turns in a row that Aventurine activated his follow-up 3 times in a row before any of my characters took another turn.

Basically, slow Aventurine can just endlessly tank without ever having to use his skill, and it doesn't matter if he even takes a turn. The only actual downside to being slow is he generates fewer skill points, but it gets him closer to the 4,000 defense he needs for the full value from his A2.

Think I'm going to build towards this to see if I like it.

Yeah he gets 1 stack every time someone with his shields is attacked. Which is fine when you're getting tickled with AOE he generates stacks really fast. But when it's an angry Ape that punches the shields right off one target you 1) only get 1 stack from that 2) can no longer get stacks from that person taking damage because the shield is gone. Aventurine is really bad when it comes to mitigating big hits. You can compensate by increasing his speed so he can manually refresh shields if necessary and also refresh his FUA stack count.

Basically he's a reverse Fu Xuan, terrible at mitigating big hits but really good at AOE.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Chocobo posted:

I know it's dumb, but the writing in this drat game and the dialogue choices always manage to get a chuckle out of me. Forcing some security grunt to be angry with clockwork and then literally saying "COME AT ME BRO!" is just so stupid it makes me smile. The galactic baseballer poo poo should have gotten tired a few patches ago too but it still makes me chuckle.

Also just failed my 50/50 on Acheron to motherfucking E3 Yanqing, gently caress that stupid rear end in a top hat. I'm tempted to level him up just out of spite at this point.

Being able to resolve “guy being dick to customer service” problems with “threaten him with a baseball bat” solutions keeps me entertained. I like that you don’t have to play the mc as a staid good guy and can be a feral raccoon with a heart of gold and a baseball bat of vengeance

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I even played HI3 and got what they were talking about and thought Welt talking to Acheron was bad and came pretty close to breaking faith about not requiring info from the previous game. The main reason I don't think it crossed the line is that knowing what they were talking about didn't add much anyway, but if I hadn't played and didn't know that I'd be annoyed.

Yeah, to go back to this I was kinda disappointed all we got with Acheron was some conversations and not some proper flashbacks to her past like we did with Aventurine. Also it would have been interesting to do the trial with both Acheron on Welt as I've not used him in battle at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of which, I liked that they let you actually explore the dungeons with temporary story characters instead of quarantining them into a single mini-instance.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The funniest thing is Aventurine isn't pure of heart so he can't see the birds.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eej posted:

The funniest thing is Aventurine isn't pure of heart so he can't see the birds.

Neither can Acheron.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

One way to get Yanqing used that other gachas do is to have a MoC restrict units. It's Male Ice week, hope you have YQ or Misha built or dps Gepard. Male Quantum week, grab the new character or sit it out.

Not something Star Rail could get away with unless they add a ton of 3*-4* characters to fill the gaps.

They could also sell a YQ costume that powers him up and tweaks his abilities when worn.

(Yes i used to play Marvel Future Fight and don't want that evil brought here)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

bagrada posted:

One way to get Yanqing used that other gachas do is to have a MoC restrict units. It's Male Ice week, hope you have YQ or Misha built or dps Gepard. Male Quantum week, grab the new character or sit it out.

Not something Star Rail could get away with unless they add a ton of 3*-4* characters to fill the gaps.

They could also sell a YQ costume that powers him up and tweaks his abilities when worn.

(Yes i used to play Marvel Future Fight and don't want that evil brought here)

They would probably give you free trial characters if they ever did anything like that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You mean how like Dreamjolt TV event had a dot level and they gave you a whole dot team to trial

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

Yeah, to go back to this I was kinda disappointed all we got with Acheron was some conversations and not some proper flashbacks to her past like we did with Aventurine. Also it would have been interesting to do the trial with both Acheron on Welt as I've not used him in battle at all.

If they did, people in this thread would just be screeching and complaining about how she should be removed from the game because her flashbacks are just Honkai Impact 3rd but slightly different. I guarantee it.

I think Acheron is more interesting being someone who has suffered her own traumas and losses and moved on from it than just a retelling of HI3. I’ve seen her past before, I want to see how she moved on from it. That she seemingly wanders the universe, finding people who are on the verge of falling into despair and nihility and she helps pull them back from the brink is more interesting to me personally than her being another Raiden Mei except things went wrong for her. If you read her character stories after finishing the 2.1 main quest, not only is her faction updated to self-annihilator but you learn she met Frebass, the girl mentioned on the Pioneer of Dead Water set by pulling her from the brink of nihility too and then traveled alongside her, giving her a meaning to go on. She does the same with Aventurine, she could utterly erase Aventurine from existence, but she doesn’t because she recognizes the emotional pain he’s in and reminds him of the message Dr. Ratio left behind, showing that someone really genuinely cares for him and that alone is reason enough to keep existing. She severs the curse that the Harmony held on him and potentially severs his connection with the IPC too because his cornerstone stops showing activity and sends him to the deeper part of the dreamscape where Robin presumably resides, outside of the protections of The Family. She’s someone who lost everything and is probably one of the most dangerous people in the universe because of the nature of what she is, but she’s also probably one of the nicest people we’ve seen yet in Star Rail once you get past her aloof exterior.

Her talk with Welt is maybe a bit much for non-HI3 players and it flies over the head of some people but it serves two purposes. The first was to confirm that Acheron was a variant of Raiden Mei who went through similar experiences, the second is more pondering on how if the main villain of HI3 succeeded, would it become like Penacony due to how similar the HI3 villains main goal was to what Penacony actually is and subject to inevitable collapse like Penacony seems to be heading in, due to both the self-destructive nature of humanity and humanity’s desire to keep moving forward making the dreamscape unstable. It probably could have been cut though, or at least rewritten in a way which makes more sense for non-HI3 players but still obviously referencing HI3.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

But honestly, the most common way I see gacha games upgrade old characters is to create an entirely new upgrade system, like a 2nd set of traces or whatever, and then give older characters access to it first.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 30, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Selenephos posted:

If they did, people in this thread would just be screeching and complaining about how she should be removed from the game because her flashbacks are just Honkai Impact 3rd but slightly different. I guarantee it.

I think Acheron is more interesting being someone who has suffered her own traumas and losses and moved on from it than just a retelling of HI3. I’ve seen her past before, I want to see how she moved on from it. That she seemingly wanders the universe, finding people who are on the verge of falling into despair and nihility and she helps pull them back from the brink is more interesting to me personally than her being another Raiden Mei except things went wrong for her. If you read her character stories after finishing the 2.1 main quest, not only is her faction updated to self-annihilator but you learn she met Frebass, the girl mentioned on the Pioneer of Dead Water set by pulling her from the brink of nihility too and then traveled alongside her, giving her a meaning to go on. She does the same with Aventurine, she could utterly erase Aventurine from existence, but she doesn’t because she recognizes the emotional pain he’s in and reminds him of the message Dr. Ratio left behind, showing that someone really genuinely cares for him and that alone is reason enough to keep existing. She severs the curse that the Harmony held on him and potentially severs his connection with the IPC too because his cornerstone stops showing activity and sends him to the deeper part of the dreamscape where Robin presumably resides, outside of the protections of The Family. She’s someone who lost everything and is probably one of the most dangerous people in the universe because of the nature of what she is, but she’s also probably one of the nicest people we’ve seen yet in Star Rail once you get past her aloof exterior.

Her talk with Welt is maybe a bit much for non-HI3 players and it flies over the head of some people but it serves two purposes. The first was to confirm that Acheron was a variant of Raiden Mei who went through similar experiences, the second is more pondering on how if the main villain of HI3 succeeded, would it become like Penacony due to how similar the HI3 villains main goal was to what Penacony actually is and subject to inevitable collapse like Penacony seems to be heading in, due to both the self-destructive nature of humanity and humanity’s desire to keep moving forward making the dreamscape unstable. It probably could have been cut though, or at least rewritten in a way which makes more sense for non-HI3 players but still obviously referencing HI3.

idk I think it would be funny if they had an Acheron POV chapter and they ported over Kevin's model and the entire Moon open world.

Clarste posted:

But honestly, the most common way I see gacha games upgrade old characters is to create an entirely new upgrade system, like a 2nd set of traces or whatever, and then give older characters access to it first.

PRI-ARMs my beloved

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Decided to take a break from the main story and casually chip away at some small silly sidequest I hadn’t got to for a breather.

I picked the fashion store lady Cocona quest for a lighthearted romp :)

I saved her playing blind, but was genuinely surprised when I looked up the alternate ending after that and learnt they really do kill her off and put a different shop NPC in. When I accidentally blew the android up on Herta after a bit Sheila v.2 was back for dailies, without anything changing, so I didn’t expect this time to be a real choice.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Clarste posted:

F/GO constantly gives old characters strengthening trials to upgrade the multiplier or durations on their skills to keep up, which is a neat route imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i think people have mostly played bad gachas like arknights that make their balance updates to characters a chore, instead of just stuff that says 'heres a quest that takes 10 minutes, grats this character is stronger' or just straight up buffs them with no real song or dance

but considering genshin has done direct buffs exactly once under threat of government investigation i dont think star rail is going to anytime soon, especially not for a standard banner character. if yanqing ever gets a buff its going to be in the form of a relic set, lightcone, or new support, like how jing yuan's gotten better over time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arknights doesn't even use the module system to upgrade old characters, really, new characters benefit from it even more these days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats the most hosed up part

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't think Star Rail would use HI3 Pri-arm system but I could see them going Grsnblues route and giving older characters levels 80 to 100 and skills/tracee

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Loved the update but boy howdy there are like 2 or 3 annoying things too many about the Hamster Ball minigame for my tastes personally. It's like the i-frames always kick in just a hair after I expect them to, and the ramps not only obscure the timing but sometimes things on the bottom side get covered up by the foreground cityscape. That's absolutely killer when you get that one spawn where the enemies line up almost exactly with the cone on the other side.

I'm guessing the intention is that you kind of 'rush' the timing when in normal mode, and then 'lag' a bit with the timing in invincible mode to catch extra points by destroying enemies while getting the speed boost, but that's a level of nuance I wasn't expecting tied to some other stuff that just feels a bit inconsistent. I try to flip before I hit a cone, and the timing is such that I collide with the cone, lose a health point, then get the turbo boost with i-frames after that? Buh?

Obviously the answer is just 'get good', but I'm hoping that complaining here will at least compel me to reach 15,000 points out of embarrassment at least.

e: Some of the Genshin minigames have had lag correction options, and I feel like that would have been welcome here...

e2: The very moment I complain about it I manage the 15,000 points. Works every time!

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 30, 2024

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

yeah the cone collisions were responsible for all my life losses on that. I didn't bother going for the max reward on the Sequel mode just because the minigame wasn't all that fun

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I ended up holding and staying middle near the end of the run until I saw enemy patterns I knew could be handled easily tbh.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Clarste posted:

Thinking about Puzzle and Dragons having like 3 rounds of this lol

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

can't believe 57% of players are loving rats

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
My main disappointment with 2.1 is that I couldn't get Kafka to come and take a picture at the photo boards because she was on a mission. Elio, let her chill on Penacony!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Tangents posted:

can't believe 57% of players are loving rats

Ban them all.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Detheros posted:

Ban them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Detheros posted:

Ban them all.