Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

I love this game and a lot of the changes from Remake, but I am genuinely impressed by how much worse the leveling system feels. Objectively, you're getting just about the same results as the weapon galaxies, but with a little more variability in the final result. Subjectively, though, so much of it is streamlined to the point you don't notice it happening (like materia slots and minor power increases) or it's only unlocking a sidegrade for one of your weapon slots and it feels like you never get enough points on level up to do anything. In Rm, getting a weapon level up felt great, now it's just something you might get to eventually. The bookstore vending machines in improbable locations are way more immersion breaking than "you can upgrade stuff, don't think about it." At least make it a Chadley controlled drone, then it can explain why it's in this goddamn cave that has never been visited by humans.

I feel like they kind of had to simplify the weapon upgrades to avoid people feeling overwhelmed at having to do them for 7 different characters. There were already a few times when I felt that way just having to make materia load outs for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, that Chapter 12 Gold Saucer event was really loving good

I hate to actually admit that Genesis might have been right about how good Loveless is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rhonne posted:

I feel like they kind of had to simplify the weapon upgrades to avoid people feeling overwhelmed at having to do them for 7 different characters. There were already a few times when I felt that way just having to make materia load outs for everyone.

I really appreciated the QOL feature that if you switched to a weapon with fewer materia slots, it would "remember" the materia what were in the expanded slots for when you switched weapons in the future

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m doing literally everything else available in chapter 12/13 while waiting for them to fix that drat side quest. I really do not want to have to do Send in the Clowns again until I come back on Hard. I’ve grabbed all but a few Pirate Jetsam and am doing the final Protorelic quest. Come on Square-Enix, what’s the hold up???

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDqZPi4759Y

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

got all the way to shadowblood queen and the game throws all the QB mechanics out the window, she has rank 1 cards with 6 power she can just throw down immediately that we can’t even get lol. This is just stupid.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wamsutta posted:

got all the way to shadowblood queen and the game throws all the QB mechanics out the window, she has rank 1 cards with 6 power she can just throw down immediately that we can’t even get lol. This is just stupid.

I won by taking over the board a quickly as I could and using cards that boost the stats of other cards (in addition to Emerald Witch, obviously) to counteract her enfeebling cards. I won by 1 point and didn’t even fill the full board lol

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Arkage posted:

Well I finished off most of the brutal/legendary VR stuff, all thanks to this single youtuber: https://www.youtube.com/@Optinooby/videos I even subbed to him for month via his patreon because his guides are literally the best I've ever seen for distilling complexity into easy to understand language with lots of affirmations and reminders. This guy needs to get into quantum mechanics so he explain to me how that works too.

Last two legendary bouts are all that's left and seem the most ridiculous of them all. No easy cheese, forced into using characters you normally never use, and 10 rounds. Seriously who the gently caress thinks a 10 round boss fest with no checkpoints is doable in anyway for 99% of players? Thank god for those few that spent hours upon hours figuring out the guides for this stuff, they need to be getting payed by S-E.

Anyway hoping to wrap up these last two VR and then start my Hard mode run. Haven't really soured on the game yet due to me knowing full well I didn't have the patience to gently caress around with this hard stuff and was going to use guides for it. If this youtuber didn't have such good videos I probably wouldn't even be bothering with the Plat.

Also protip for a Barret mechanic I didn't even know existed prior to watching these guides: do a quick triangle push at the end of every action to recharge the triangle ability for basically free.

The last Legendary bouts aren't a joke but to be honest I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as the tail end of the Brutal bouts even despite their bumper length. The guest characters are loaded up with useful spells and are pretty powerful. Sephiroth has magBarrier and Reraise, and Zack has his lunatic-strength High Braver. They both have magCure, and they both have infinite MP synergies. They also both have training sims available, so you can get the hang of managing Zack's charge levels and the timing for Quick Charge. The fights are all single summons and single fiends, none of which have surprises. Some of them can drag a little with only the two but overall I found them way more reasonable than even the last Brutal sim which was 5 fights long.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Wamsutta posted:

i can learn one stupid card game, but the fact that they keep changing how the entire system works was just bizarre to me. your deck goes from perfectly fine with a few retries to absolutely useless - on several occasions

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

beat her 49-38 by sticking 2 chimaira and 2 rictus into my normal destroy/replace setup. I am not clever enough to have found that myself but thanks reddit

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I won by taking over the board a quickly as I could and using cards that boost the stats of other cards (in addition to Emerald Witch, obviously) to counteract her enfeebling cards. I won by 1 point and didn’t even fill the full board lol

Yeah a buff deck was what I used until i moved to destroy/replace and even by sticking the emerald witch into that it was totally useless in the final bout

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you have the cards available there are preset decks you can choose, the final preset is a good counter to that match.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Got Aerith for the date, so now we're grinding the Gold Cup trying to get Tifa instead.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am Team Tifa all the way but the Aerith date is an extremely good character moment that is worth watching.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Augus posted:

I am Team Tifa all the way but the Aerith date is an extremely good character moment that is worth watching.

;_; choices choices.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Augus posted:

The sad thing about the dates is that all of them except for the bonus one all feel like really good important character moments but you can only see one, and most people are going to see either Tifa or Aerith. Red and Yuffie are like excited children getting to just have a fun time on a ride, and they're really nice one on ones with them. Red even brings up some minor story stuff about himself that is weird you can miss. Barret having this like fatherly talk to Cloud is really nice, Yuffie essentially talks to the world's worst dating expert about boys and her crush on Zach (though she doesn't say his name) and it's really cute, and it's also cute for the same reason Red's is, where she's an excited kid going on this right with you.

The Cid, Vincent, and Cait Sith one is really more of a joke scene, I kind of come off it feeling bad for Cait Sith. Sort of wish there was a solo Cait Sith one to be honest

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oh god drat it round 5 of nightmarish survival is the loving shadow blood queen and her made up non-player attainable cards again great great. I went into that round up 87-40 and lost anyway

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

/tries to always slash at the robed guys whenever I pass by them club

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Wamsutta posted:

Oh god drat it round 5 of nightmarish survival is the loving shadow blood queen and her made up non-player attainable cards again great great. I went into that round up 87-40 and lost anyway

The play here is to win so hard in the first four rounds that you can basically throw the last and still come out ahead.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wamsutta posted:

Yup it's really tough. Here's the deck/guide I used(some of the cards are postgame though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mBmjU31cM

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Wamsutta posted:

Won the fight by playing a Tonberry King in my center-middle spot, and then replacing him with Gi Nattak after I'd thrown the rest of my deck (consisting mostly of cards that give me more cards when they die/are played) into the wood chipper.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wamsutta posted:

I trash-won that match only thanks to the UPA card.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
When does the nightmare qb challenge unlock? I didn't see it in costa del Sol when I was finishing off my card collection

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

When does the nightmare qb challenge unlock? I didn't see it in costa del Sol when I was finishing off my card collection

you'll come back to gold saucer much later in the story, all the minigames' new tiers will unlock then

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Is it at the gold saucer? Or is that just what unlocks it? I've done the date now and didn't get any notifications but I haven't been back to the card hut in costa again

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It’s in Gold Saucer. Unlocks the Bahamut card

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Oh cool I've kind of neglected gold saucer stuff just BC I've managed to avoid minigame burnout but I sort of assume it's one frustrating minigame away at all times but now I'm mostly done with the region Intel stuff and am about to head off north I've been finishing the choco races for Billy's quest and I should check out what cool prizes ive missed.

Speaking of minigames what is everyone's most hated minigame? Mine is cactuar crush. I don't know if I'll bother getting plat for this game not only BC there's a lot to do for it but also BC I am not sure I'll ever be able to beat it properly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Speaking of minigames what is everyone's most hated minigame? Mine is cactuar crush. I don't know if I'll bother getting plat for this game not only BC there's a lot to do for it but also BC I am not sure I'll ever be able to beat it properly.

glide de chocobo. crunches were harder on my hands and required me to fiddle with a bunch of games settings to squeak by, but glide de chocobo just feels bad man. it controls like an airborne shopping cart and the uplift physics are both vague and punishingly precise

cactuar crush hardmode was a pain in my rear end until i clicked with it and then i smoked every stage. aerith's unique level 9 folio skill, forget the name, was crucial for hers - i kept one of those on the backburner at all times because once it reached max level it could one-shot the jumbo cactuars

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Oh cool I've kind of neglected gold saucer stuff just BC I've managed to avoid minigame burnout but I sort of assume it's one frustrating minigame away at all times but now I'm mostly done with the region Intel stuff and am about to head off north I've been finishing the choco races for Billy's quest and I should check out what cool prizes ive missed.

Glide de Chocobo because I did it before SE realized that they should at least give you the option to have it control like literally every other flying game in existence

Cactaur Crush was hard but I was always making progress through the whole thing so it wasn't a "bad" hard for me.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The last level of Glide de Chocobo is an all-timer for the very end being weirdly tight to pull off, while the rest of it is just slow and boring to repeat.

I also just dislike the space ranger game even though it was perfectly easy to beat the scores. The aiming lock-on is bad, and I get mildly displeased everytime a bomb shoots toward nothing or the boss keeps their tail weakpoint flailing off-screen.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Definitely the gym, super frustrating and also really physically uncomfortable after a few attempts.

Cactuar crush I actually found pretty fun, once I figured out the key skills it wants you to use Whirlwind to delete groups with Yuffie, Transcendence vs. big guys with Aerith .

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The gym one I found surprisingly easy to nail when I got in the zone, I also think it helped that I randomly did each challenge across a few days instead of trying them all at once BC when I tried to do them all at once I got fed up with the different patterns

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Arkage posted:

Also protip for a Barret mechanic I didn't even know existed prior to watching these guides: do a quick triangle push at the end of every action to recharge the triangle ability for basically free.

You can do it after the last shot of his normal attack too, not just after using an ATB command.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Definitely boxing at the Gold saucer. Even with pausing it took me so goddamn long to beat the final boss. Gym was hard too but not as bad as I was expecting(my fingers were still tired afterwards though)

Cactuar crush is just a matter of having the right strategy(and dodging attacks), actually executing it isn’t that hard. Also level/stats DOES matter so if you’re not at max level go do that first

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 31, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At my friend's house, and I can confirm Graphics mode looks totally fine on his normal TV. It just looks like a slideshow on my OLED.

Tbh still prefer it in performance mode on mine, just for the much more vivid colors.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ytlaya posted:

At my friend's house, and I can confirm Graphics mode looks totally fine on his normal TV. It just looks like a slideshow on my OLED.

Tbh still prefer it in performance mode on mine, just for the much more vivid colors.

They probably have motion smoothing turned on so you still win

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Me: Oh boy, Chapter 12! I figure it'll be some plot stuff, hang out at the Gold Saucer again, and then off to the endgame.
FF7Re: You fool. You absolute poltroon. Here's a boat, a brand new world map, and new quests in every zone. Get to it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Nightmarish Survival QB is gonna have me jumping out my window here (don’t worry it’s the ground floor of the house)

Rounds 1-4 take so long then 5 begins and you just get crushed so goddamn fast and have to start all over. I just had my best run yet and lost 89-91 :-/

Edit: oh goddamn I won. 87-74. I used the deck/vid linked earlier, subbed in an Insectoid Chimera for the postgame card I don’t have yet.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 31, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This is a dumb thing to throw out at this point with the next game years away, but after unlocking the costume change option I hope the next game has cold weather outfits for the cast. Tifa in a skirt, Barrett, Yuffie and Cloud with no sleeves... They'd be too cold. It ruined my immersion as a kid and it'd be worse now.

Nanaki could even have a little scarf. :3:

Edit: As someone from a colder clime this is really just a pet peeve of mine. Nobody wore a hat in Game of Thrones north of the Wall!

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

the Johnnys stuff is kind of too silly..why doesn't Yuffie just do this for everyone