Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

cumpantry posted:

you guys likes walking through a cave for twenty minutes of exposition and a tutorial island but linear vs wake up, solve 4 mini dungeons and bounce. Ok

tails butthole guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the II

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

tails butthole guy

Don't sign your emptyquotes??

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

cumpantry posted:

you guys likes walking through a cave for twenty minutes of exposition and a tutorial island but linear vs wake up, solve 4 mini dungeons and bounce. Ok

both are acceptable

ARRGHPLEASENONONONO
Feb 5, 2001

cumpantry posted:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

NoiseAnnoys posted:

absolutely no offense intended to them but i cannot image anyone over the age of 9 or under the age of 65 who's only played two video games ever.

This post reminded me of the old dude I used to work with who bought an Xbox One as his first videogame system ever, so he could play a driving game. He didn't like shooting games; he'd gone AWOL from the army instead of being shipped off to Vietnam. The FBI was trying to find him for years, and they tapped his mother's phone so he couldn't even tell her where he was. He's a pretty interesting guy. Anyway, the last time he'd played a videogame was when arcade machines first came out in the 70s/80s (Pong, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, etc). He complained that there were too many buttons on the xbone controller for him. Turns out, he'd been setting the controller on his knee and using the two analog sticks like arcade joysticks and was having trouble because he couldn't comfortably reach any of the buttons he needed to use. Using my phone, I showed him how to hold the controller and use his index fingers for the triggers/bumpers, and where to put his thumbs and all that. He seemed to get it and said he'd try it and let me know how it went. The next week, I asked him and he kinda sheepishly said "I... uh... I went to GameStop and bought a racing wheel. But don't worry, it wasn't that $500 beast I showed you on amazon!" I went over to his place one day to check it out, and he had set up a big comfortable armchair to sit in while he drove around Australia. His "racing" was just finding another (NPC) car in the open world and driving with them for a while. :3: He hadn't even done the "welcome to the game, here's how to drive/race" tutorial.

That dude rules. Last I heard from him, he's using a gigantic television for his computer monitor and watches videos of people walking around in Toronto and San Francisco (he's lived in both places) while he uses his treadmill.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Mar 30, 2024

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!

cumpantry posted:

its literally the same except in totk its more epic due to sky island + goat guy + making a boat

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

NoiseAnnoys posted:

absolutely no offense intended to them but i cannot image anyone over the age of 9 or under the age of 65 who's only played two video games ever.

tbf i think he's played stuff like mario kart or whatever while hanging out at a friend's place but he didn't have any consoles / gaming pcs growing up so never had much interest in gaming until his partner got a switch and BoTW.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Fifty Farts posted:

I went over to his place one day to check it out, and he had set up a big comfortable armchair to sit in while he drove around Australia. His "racing" was just finding another (NPC) car in the open world and driving with them for a while. :3: He hadn't even done the "welcome to the game, here's how to drive/race" tutorial.

This guy needs to get into trucking sims

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

cumpantry posted:

i like both

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Fifty Farts posted:

This post reminded me of the old dude I used to work with who bought an Xbox One as his first videogame system ever, so he could play a driving game. He didn't like shooting games; he'd gone AWOL from the army instead of being shipped off to Vietnam. The FBI was trying to find him for years, and they tapped his mother's phone so he couldn't even tell her where he was. He's a pretty interesting guy. Anyway, the last time he'd played a videogame was when arcade machines first came out in the 70s/80s (Pong, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, etc). He complained that there were too many buttons on the xbone controller for him. Turns out, he'd been setting the controller on his knee and using the two analog sticks like arcade joysticks and was having trouble because he couldn't comfortably reach any of the buttons he needed to use. Using my phone, I showed him how to hold the controller and use his index fingers for the triggers/bumpers, and where to put his thumbs and all that. He seemed to get it and said he'd try it and let me know how it went. The next week, I asked him and he kinda sheepishly said "I... uh... I went to GameStop and bought a racing wheel. But don't worry, it wasn't that $500 beast I showed you on amazon!" I went over to his place one day to check it out, and he had set up a big comfortable armchair to sit in while he drove around Australia. His "racing" was just finding another (NPC) car in the open world and driving with them for a while. :3: He hadn't even done the "welcome to the game, here's how to drive/race" tutorial.

That dude rules. Last I heard from him, he's using a gigantic television for his computer monitor and watches videos of people walking around in Toronto and San Francisco (he's lived in both places) while he uses his treadmill.

i love this guy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Fifty Farts posted:

this guy rules

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

This guy needs to get into trucking sims

thinking ab Carlton from Fresh Prince and the little slot machine putting that first quarter in

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
supposedly for people who've never played video games, motion controls, steering wheels+other more realistic setups and arcade-type controls work best to have them learn on before they move on to regular controllers and then keyboard+mouse.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

thinking ab Carlton from Fresh Prince and the little slot machine putting that first quarter in

Okay, let me amend that: that guy needs to get into trucking sims where a kind friend has pirated him all the DLC so he gets the full fun driving experience without spending ten billion dollars

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cumpantry posted:

You called it tiktok

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Played thru all of botw with no carry capacity upgrades cuz I climbed the mountains to get to kakariko instead of following the road that leads to the quest npc. Playing with limited inventory made it more fun imo.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

There was someone in the Horizon: Zero Dawn thread who casually mentioned not using fast travel at all when playing Forbidden West and God drat that just sounds horrible.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Orbs posted:

Same, video games are a blight upon the earth

Proof: The Dark Id played them

Things that make life worth living:

Video games
The zoo
My cat
Posting

I put up with everything else for these 4

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mad Hamish posted:

There was someone in the Horizon: Zero Dawn thread who casually mentioned not using fast travel at all when playing Forbidden West and God drat that just sounds horrible.

I liked Zero Dawn a lot and sometimes enjoyed just riding between locations and enjoying the scenery, but never using fast travel at all sounds awful.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
i find the mounts aren't great to control

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
i had way more fun at the start of totk cause I didn't know about making that drat hoverbike. I just catapulted myself everywhere at first and it was so fun

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i feel like the watch threads gonna try to execute insane anime blizzlols style soon lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Axelayer/status/1773862689430716875?t=q7GBs_gq7tgu_6e08aLtpA&s=19

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Violen posted:

i feel like the watch threads gonna try to execute insane anime blizzlols style soon lol

would it be in response to the most criminal offense of simply posting a watch, because that seems to set certain people off lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Violen posted:

reciting this post to people speeding up their walk through times square

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

At last, Asmongold has been bathed

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Violen posted:

reciting this post to people speeding up their walk through times square

lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Kins posted:

the game makes the unfortunate mistake of thinking that you'll hang out around lookout landing doing odd jobs until you unlock the paraglider and map towers and you're explicitly let off the leash

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I don't remember having a massive issue with it but I do remember noneinto failing to account that a lot of people's reaction to being told 'go do this thing' is 'gently caress you I ain't doing that'

Yeah kinda funny given BotW absolutely made the right idea to force you to go through the entire tutorial plateau and giving you all the basics before letting you off the leash with the assumption you will immediately gently caress off in a random direction.

My playstyle certainly fit that, I unlocked the climbing gear first and considered roads to be a personal insult. I wanna go in THIS direction and gently caress you if you think I'm letting the sheer cliff face stop me

Cranappleberry posted:

supposedly for people who've never played video games, motion controls, steering wheels+other more realistic setups and arcade-type controls work best to have them learn on before they move on to regular controllers and then keyboard+mouse.

Makes sense to me. Either way, it's using an interface that's closer to something they're used to, and a lot more simple. Arcade games are built to only have the controls needed for that particular game and for people to literally walk up and play with no prior experience after all. Game controllers have more or less evolved into having about as many buttons as they can fit while having them be easily accessible without having to think about it, but if you haven't developed that muscle memory I can see it being very confusing. I've seen myself younger kids can struggle with controllers since they don't have the coordination to use them yet, and often have trouble holding them properly.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I also missed the paraglider because I kind of assumed it would be like BotW and I'd be corralled for the first portion of the game until I got it, but then I managed to get stuck in a tower with bouncy platforms that would have been trivial if I had had the glider but kept killing me so I realized I ought to have had it by then and went back and got it

This was like 30 minutes of gameplay in the open world portion

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
on totk i immediately got the glider because you get it as a part of unlocking the first tower. then i flew around the map unlocking all of the towers and getting the flight suit inadvertently while just exploring. This made colgera a joke the first time I fought it. i also stumbled down into the end zone and with only four sages and almost beat the seized construct that drops in after you clear the demon king's army.

i liked both games well enough.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah I don't even remember how or why I missed it, I think I wanted to just go gently caress around before getting the info towers because I liked the mystery of not being able to see the map

My biggest takeaway from the first game was that it was a lot more fun the less I knew and that getting the powers from the dungeons was the biggest diminishing factor in the fun I was having (especially the Revali one that let you do a massive jump and trivialized a lot of climbing obstacles)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

At last, Asmongold has been bathed

lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This would be great

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1774023083764199566?t=ywpteGwUkprcAB8EDy_dSQ&s=19

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

who the gently caress is this person making a Madlax reference in 2024

I feel seen

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1774054319094153644

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mr. Nice! posted:

on totk i immediately got the glider because you get it as a part of unlocking the first tower. then i flew around the map unlocking all of the towers and getting the flight suit inadvertently while just exploring. This made colgera a joke the first time I fought it. i also stumbled down into the end zone and with only four sages and almost beat the seized construct that drops in after you clear the demon king's army.

i liked both games well enough.

I love having maps, the first thing I did when entering a new area in both BOTW and TOTK was make a beeline for the nearest tower. To the point where it frustrated me that you can't use the tower first thing when you arrive at Lookout Landing lol.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Oxxidation posted:

Raenir Salazar may be the stupidest man in Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Canadia