Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is such a funny one, iconic.

Where's our Alf mod for Doom

Also, I just learned that famous cliffhanger of Alf was less famously resolved in this TV movie Project ALF. Now we just need more Gordon Freeman...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rGdcbVqCdoY

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Heavy Metal posted:

And I know it sounds crazy to say I believe in Half-Life 3, but Valve could enter some new regime or era within the next 30 years or something.

Unless there's a big shift in Valve's structure or philosophy, I sadly don't see it happening. They make a ton of money from Steam & microtransactions; they no longer want to mess about with engine licenses, supporting licensees or advanced modding, or constantly create new or existing IP projects that would take them a long time to complete: maybe a largish new title or two, every decade? I don't blame them at all, they wouldn't make as much money, and their flat structure doesn't incentivise it, but the Source 2 options are now "S&Box or nothing, you can only make levels in Alyx/CS2 and nothing else."

If you ask Valve for a Source 2 engine license now, even if you're an experienced developer with shipped retail products, Valve's official response is "we no longer license out Source 2, go ask Garry Newman to use S&Box instead, and ask him for engine technical support, don't bother us!" Except that Garry is now rewriting the core engine to be just like Unreal/Unity, since he likes their systems. It's his baby, he can do whatever he wants, but why not use Unreal or Unity with their far better support/documentation then, if S&Box is eventually going to function similarly? Plus S&Box is a huge WIP, with a very small team constant rewriting code, they're not going to be very interested in constantly supporting a modder or developer whilst the rewrite is still going on.

Alyx has mapping tools for custom campaigns, but not a full SDK, so you can't really make major changes or proper mods without a ton of hacky workarounds, and even then, you're still limited. Ditto for the Source 2 branch of CS2. If Valve released the full development tools for those games and said "Here's the full SDK for Alyx/CS2, we won't help you at all, plus our engine documentation is incomplete, lol, good luck figuring it out by yourself!", it'd still be a major positive step forward, than whatever they're doing now. It's been nearly 4 years since Alyx came out & still no proper SDK release, I don't think it's happening sadly.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Livo posted:

Unless there's a big shift in Valve's structure or philosophy, I sadly don't see it happening.

For sure, everything you're saying there tracks. But, I believe Half-Life 3 will happen eventually. I think even if they say co-produced it with some external dev they hired for the job, even with Unreal engine or something. And it could happen say 10 years from now. Its money sitting on the table, I think Half-Life is a big brand and they know it's fading a bit from the lexicon, and this will have so much sales and interest it'll make Baldur's Gate 3 look like Bubsy 3D. They could have one of those sweet deals like Nintendo with Metroid Prime, where they can just keep telling the dev team to scrap it and start over if they don't like it. It's win/win.

I do see the logic where people say Valve has this cush gig with steam, why would they mess with it? But even if Half-Life 3 was poorly reviewed or something, I don't think that endangers their status as the top PC game platform etc. And it'll probably make a good bit of money either way, and these companies like money. Also I need to believe in Half-Life 3 religiously speaking.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Dwell getting very cheeky about halfway through Episode 1:

https://i.imgur.com/ExQhifg.mp4

quote:

I'm sorry, my friend.

The fate of underlift secret hunters..

And then the secret map is under a different lift in the same level :argh:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
resolve Half-Life 3 and Alf at the same time

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Takes No Damage posted:

Dwell getting very cheeky about halfway through Episode 1:

https://i.imgur.com/ExQhifg.mp4

And then the secret map is under a different lift in the same level :argh:

I didn't realize until very recently that the "underlift secret" was a...meme? I guess you might call it in the Quake community. Wrath had an achievement that was basically "find the ONLY underlift secret in the entire game", but apparently this is a thing?

On that note, I feel like one of the most stereotypical secret spaces is "the hidden area behind the waterfall".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hidden area behind the waterfall is only topped by clicking Use on the one torch that's a different color.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

https://x.com/pripyatbeast/status/1774313271291691364?s=46&t=Yc8UbT5ow_wv5Fa1IW4MdA

I mean this has gotta be a marketing/teaser thing, right?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bumhead posted:

I mean this has gotta be a marketing/teaser thing, right?
Not necessarily. People holding up Video Game Hot Takes at wrasslin’ shows is a thing now for some reason. :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Video games sign guys in wrestling are a plague

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
AvP 2 would be a good call though, it's got probably the best Marine campaign of any of the AvP games and at this point is criminally underseen/played.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I always preferred AvP, it still held onto a lot of oldschool design sensibilities. I also like the visuals in some indescribable way. I don't know that game is just really cool.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think AvP 2000 is still on Steam and still works fine on modern machines? Whereas I don't think 2 is available anywhere aside finding a copy on eBay or <grimbeard voice> GOING TO WALMART

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Terrible news, I know you were all hyped beyond words for Doug Huggem

https://x.com/mega64/status/1774249072226111545?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

April 1st :thunk:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Please Doug, don't hurt us (to paraphrase MC Hammer)

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yeah AvP2 definitely feels like it’s in Night Dive territory. Could just be a dumb wrestling thing, but I can also totally see this being how a company like Night Dive gets a playful little teaser out there..

I think they suggested we’d hear about what’s next soon, and Alien Day is approaching..

I’d prefer Alien Trilogy but if they’re already talking to and figuring poo poo out with Disney then maybe we get both. That’d be a fun time.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I didn't realize until very recently that the "underlift secret" was a...meme? I guess you might call it in the Quake community. Wrath had an achievement that was basically "find the ONLY underlift secret in the entire game", but apparently this is a thing?

I've definitely played a custom Quake map that had a "come on man, I'm not putting secrets under lifts" decal under the first lift.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
There's an equal chance of them putting something weird out for fun or putting out an RPGMaker XP game that's a single room long again

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

At least this shows that AEW fans are people of culture.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:sickos:

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I passed on the screenshot so for what it's worth, unless I'm in on it too, it was not a tease and just some wrestling dork who lives near London, ON.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

spongeh posted:

I passed on the screenshot so for what it's worth, unless I'm in on it too, it was not a tease and just some wrestling dork who lives near London, ON.

I don't think AvP2 would be my #1 choice for the next NDS remake, since there's still a bunch of LGS games waiting (SS2 is the most obvious, but Strike Force Centauri and Ultima Underworld might need it more), but it's definitely in my top 5. Loved that game.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I would do unspeakable things for remastered Ultima Underworlds.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Ultima Underworld given the same NightDive remake treatment as SS1 :swoon:

Speaking of, even though I only completed it for the first time late last year, I'm getting an itch to replay the SS remake. Did that patch land with all the improvements they were talking about?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 31, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I never played the first Ultima Underworld, only the second one and I feel like it'd need a lot more to make it palatable to a modern audience than System Shock did. I can't remember exactly but the spell system was a bit of a mess I think? Collecting runes and arranging them in the right order but some of that being trial and error?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Speaking of, even though I only completed it for the first time late last year, I'm getting an itch to replay the SS remake. Did that patch land with all the improvements they were talking about?

I don't think so, the last patch I have visibility of is the "PATCH 1.0" they pushed out in early June last year.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I never played the first Ultima Underworld, only the second one and I feel like it'd need a lot more to make it palatable to a modern audience than System Shock did. I can't remember exactly but the spell system was a bit of a mess I think? Collecting runes and arranging them in the right order but some of that being trial and error?

I just finished UU 1 for the first time and thought it was great. Didn't feel like anything was too esoteric in it, and the spells weren't too bad once I figured out how they worked.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Fil5000 posted:

Not so trial and errors (because the manual gave you a lot of them and the rest you could gather in game) but it sure wasn't meant for twitch playing. Some of the runes you could get depended on the class you chose though so you could actually hamper your progress by choosing a 'wrong' class when starting the game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ultima Underworld given the same NightDive remake treatment as SS1 :swoon:

I played a bit as a kid, but you know, I never 'got it' so I would be happy to have a remake!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Kins posted:

The HL3 discussed in the Final Hours of Alyx e-book, uhh, did not sound like a Good FPS Game. I don't really think procgen combat levels in-between handcrafted story bits in an ill-advised attempt to try and give a single player game a multiplayer game's level of replayability would have worked out well or gone down well.

And even before(?) that the story treatment that Marc Laidlaw leaked seemed kind of crap. With yet another downer cliffhanger to boot.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

avp2 has the best campaigns out of any of them, and also the sick survival mode

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

avp2 has the best campaigns out of any of them, and also the sick survival mode

God, that was so much fun. I didn’t even care about winning - I’d tank my run on purpose just to try and murder the opposing team as an alien, and win myself some buddies. Somehow I lost Disc 1 of AvP 2 and have never warezed it back… though I hear persuading it to run on a modern system is not trivial. Maybe I’ll take a crack at it this month.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DonVincenzo posted:

Not so trial and errors (because the manual gave you a lot of them and the rest you could gather in game) but it sure wasn't meant for twitch playing. Some of the runes you could get depended on the class you chose though so you could actually hamper your progress by choosing a 'wrong' class when starting the game.

IIRC every rune can be found somewhere in-game, but you can definitely make things easier or harder starting out depending on class and initial stat rolls. And yeah, it's very much a slow methodical game that focuses more on planning and preparation than on reflexes.

I played UUW through back in...2010-2012ish? and enjoyed it a great deal, but there is definitely a serious learning curve in both the interface and the game mechanics, more so than any other LGS game. UUW2 I didn't like nearly as much, and never finished it; it felt like it relied more on the tie-in with the U7 storyline and less on its own writing and level design.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Two Owls posted:

I've definitely played a custom Quake map that had a "come on man, I'm not putting secrets under lifts" decal under the first lift.

Copper(?) or one of the other map packs in the Quake re-release has an escalating series of exasperated and disappointed in itself notes for each underlift secret you find.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Did that patch land with all the improvements they were talking about?
Not yet. No specific date for it, but I think they said it'll land before the console port (which includes it), which is landing on May 21.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/home

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's just a link to Twitter home page

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I assume it's this.

https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1774768959243579625