Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

You build it like any other terrain improvement but it needs to be on a grassland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, it should be in your improvement list in the corner, or click on a grassland hex where you want one and it should be available in the tile information box. Goes without saying that you need to have taken the upgrade from the mound builders national spirit, of course.

Also, for those that have had trouble with the barbarians in the age of bronze, be careful in the age of revolutions. The age popup just said revolutionaries would spawn with high unrest, so I thought it would be fine since all my cities were at 0, but at some point an absolutely enormous number spawned all over my territory. They weren't particularly strong and mostly suicided on my towns and cities, but I did lose two outposts and a freshly laid down island city I'd just placed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm looking into this as a Civ fan who felt pretty cold on 6, and the idea of the variant ages sounds neat.

As someone who likes to play peacefully on the lowest difficulty setting and just build and research and make a pretty looking empire with cool stuff, is this game conducive to that, or does it demand a much more active and involved approach?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I'm looking into this as a Civ fan who felt pretty cold on 6, and the idea of the variant ages sounds neat.

As someone who likes to play peacefully on the lowest difficulty setting and just build and research and make a pretty looking empire with cool stuff, is this game conducive to that, or does it demand a much more active and involved approach?

If you want to just focus on having fun organizing and optimizing an efficient nation, it seems like it'd be great for it. There's a lot more to play with economy wise than most civ games because of things like the production chains, national spirits, and import/export slots.

If you're asking if it's possible to play mostly peacefully I can't say. I've only played on the normal difficulty and up, so I don't know how things like barbarians scale, and some of the ages are explicitly about dealing with threats. I can say that the AI seems to be afraid of you if you're much stronger than it so if you're on easy I doubt you'd have to worry much about your neighbors going to war with you, though.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Whelp, that wasn't fun. I tried several times but the interface is baffling in it's badness. This is the first game I have ever asked for a refund for.

Building a city was unclear, the graphics are...ugly. Yes I said it. Ugly. Both zoomed in too far and zoomed out for units and text. Tutorials are thrown at you on the assumption "you must have done this already, right?". Turn choices are sometimes sent to you and sometimes not. It really seems like a mobile game that jumped to PC, which would explain the graphics and the interface of showing a battle.

Would not recommend. Think I'll go back to SMAC :(

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Cythereal posted:

I played a Novice game earlier to try and do a couple of achievement unlocks, and... sorta. The AI nations will indeed become less competent as you go down in difficulty, and as mentioned even on medium level difficulty the AI will eventually learn to leave you alone if you have a high enough set of passive defenses. But unfortunately the Barbarians and "neutral" party threats remain pretty much at the same level of annoyance no matter what, so there is at least a minimal threshold of active gameplay that you have to go through, if only to make your local environs safe to then have a mostly peaceful game afterwards. And even then Barbarian-esque threats can return later depending on certain Ages.

EDIT: I forgot, but I also tried to test out a run on Grandmaster too for screwing-around purposes and I think this remained consistent but in the opposite direction. Barbarian AI remains unchanged, actual enemy nations become cracked.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 30, 2024

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you want your capitals to expand quickly, would it be better to pick +Influence or Discounted Expansion costs for your custom nation?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mokotow posted:

You build it like any other terrain improvement but it needs to be on a grassland

Ah i kept trying to put them on hills.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

If you want your capitals to expand quickly, would it be better to pick +Influence or Discounted Expansion costs for your custom nation?

Imo the discount. You can get other sources of cheap influence, like God King Dynasty.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How do I get vassals to go over 5 pop? Some tech?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mokotow posted:

I am still not sure, I think maybe building a town for them or increasing their prosperity? I think the reason why they get stuck at 5 pop is because city level limiting population, but vassal has little resources so it takes a long time to for them to level up.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 31, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Mokotow posted:

I've never had trouble getting them over 5 pop, so I can't say. If it's a region level thing you could try putting a town down for them though. My current game I actually have a vassal that got ridiculously huge, up to 26 pop. I should probably integrate it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

twistedmentat posted:

They seem to pop up instantly after I destroy one. At the end of the stone age, I had 8 armies, and as soon as I hit the bronze age, 6 barbarian cheifs appeared at my capital. I had 2 armies left after that. They were not there before the age change, it just spawned them out of the blue.

Eight full armies or just eight units? The latter is really not that much of a force. And yeah if they were all warbands I can see why you might gotten hit that hard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Eschatos posted:

Eight full armies or just eight units? The latter is really not that much of a force. And yeah if they were all warbands I can see why you might gotten hit that hard.

Eight armies of 3 guys, either 2 warbands and 1 archer, or 2 archers and 1 warband.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What are the formation rules, anyway? I assume keep as many melee/line units as you have ranged units in order to keep the backline protected? Cavalry always gets to flank?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The AI needs to be a bit less aggressive. I'll completely destroy everything it sends at me, and they go "lets end this" and then 2 turns later they're at war with me again with a army the same size.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Eight armies of 3 guys, either 2 warbands and 1 archer, or 2 archers and 1 warband.

How the hell did most of 24 units get annihilated by a few barbarians then?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

What are the formation rules, anyway? I assume keep as many melee/line units as you have ranged units in order to keep the backline protected? Cavalry always gets to flank?

If there's a logic to how units attack beyond them focusing the unit type they're strong against, I don't know it. I'd guess its basically random otherwise.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Eschatos posted:

How the hell did most of 24 units get annihilated by a few barbarians then?

You know those videos where they put a super hot ball bearing on top of a block or ice or something? It looked like that.

There were other barbarians besides the chieftains I was dealing with. Its just insane how many barbarians spawn in the early parts of this game. And it loves to spawn just one unit, so you're strong army has to spend all its time hunting them down.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I guess Ive gotten off lucky so far then. Still seems like getting one of the military techs within your first four researched techs is crucial.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Line units have high defense and are targeted first. This isn't numbers dependent, so if you have 4 ranged units and 1 line that line is going to take (almost) all of the attacks. The standard series of line units have a bonus against cavalry, but there are other types I've seen that have a bonus against other line units.

Leaders give a bonus to all other units in the stack, but are fragile without line units defending them. I don't know if they have any special targeting/bonuses other than the stack buffing.

Ranged units ignore target priority (can hit non line or wall units first). Most (all?) have a bonus against line units, which is sort of an anti-synergy, but does mean 50/50 line/ranged will absolutely demolish a full stack of line units.

Cavalry units always target the most damaged valid target but don't ignore target priority, so can't hit a ranged unit if there's an enemy line unit, even if the ranged unit is more damaged. They do bonus morale damage.

There's probably more to it than that but that's what I've seen so far.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 31, 2024

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

A few notes I’ve found on Barbarians:

* The big issue is large, open spaces (and minor cities count as open, I’ve seen barb camps in their borders) where if you have multiple camps the numbers of random raiders quickly gets overwhelming.

* The first answer is Discipline in Bronze Age. A Barb unit will often kill warbands and if even you’re winning battles it can quickly get Pyrrhic if you’re losing troops each time. Spearmen, though, generally survive, and they’re cheap to upgrade to. Unless I clearly need to Envoy a minor Civ, Discipline is usually my first Age II tech.

*The second answer is, weirdly, culture. Each culture completion can be spent for “Raise Army”, which gets you a line infantry (warband/spear) and an archer if you have Defenses researched (and a second line infantry if you don’t). It’s a lot more effective that spending production on them.

* I also think you need to make your first settler late, not early. I put my first 26 government points into +food and +knowledge in tribal government bonuses, and only after that do I get a settler. That means I’m defending less territory and I have more time to both explore and to see which areas are going to get overwhelmed. And then when my settled is ready, I usually have troops ready to go with it because I’ve hit culture a few times.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bremen posted:

Line units have high defense and are targeted first. This isn't numbers dependent, so if you have 4 ranged units and 1 line that line is going to take (almost) all of the attacks. The standard series of line units have a bonus against cavalry, but there are other types I've seen that have a bonus against other line units.

Leaders give a bonus to all other units in the stack, but are fragile without line units defending them. I don't know if they have any special targeting/bonuses other than the stack buffing.

Ranged units ignore target priority (can hit non line or wall units first). Most (all?) have a bonus against line units, which is sort of an anti-synergy, but does mean 50/50 line/ranged will absolutely demolish a full stack of line units.

Cavalry units always target the most damaged valid target but don't ignore target priority, so can't hit a ranged unit if there's an enemy line unit, even if the ranged unit is more damaged. They do bonus morale damage.

There's probably more to it than that but that's what I've seen so far.

Gotcha, TY. Rough rules from reading this is 1:1 ratio of line and ranged, odd numbers should be a leader or cavalry I guess.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Also: to be clear, I’m enjoying Millenia, but I think it has a fair number of issues - the UI is okay at best; there are way too many goods that aren’t distinctive enough; the fact that cities need super huge amounts of space but the AI will settle right on top of you and there’s no removing cities just seems like bad design; the whole “import/exports” mechanic is underexplained and poorly implemented; and there’s just a lack of personality to it.

Like, this other country is “Persia” but all that means is the names of the cities he settled are from the ‘Persian’ set and figuring anything out about what they’re like is digging three screens deep into the diplomacy menu and mousing over icons. I built the Colossus and mechanically it’s amazing but the game didn’t make any difference between that and me building a town hall in a different colony. I eliminated a neighbor and the notice was a pop up screen that was, just “Player 3 has been eliminated.” It’s just all very functional without being interesting beyond the innate puzzles of the mechanics.

I’ve still put like 40 hours into it, so I’m not saying it’s bad. Will likely put a lot more time in as well.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Yeah I had an age 4 age of plagues that was just me defending each city and town from 3-5 barbarian attacks per turn until I was able to produce extra armies to go hunt down the 17 (I counted) nearby barbarian bases.

It needs some tuning.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

toasterwarrior posted:

Gotcha, TY. Rough rules from reading this is 1:1 ratio of line and ranged, odd numbers should be a leader or cavalry I guess.

I usually do two spears and one archer in a group, and haven’t bothered with leaders yet. (The tutorial on them implied or stated that they get less powerful each Age so I wasn’t interested in making a unit that would be less interesting over time.) You start with two war bands, so the free archer from researching Defense makes one group and then one cultural “Raise Armies” and one “Volunteers” from Military XP gets you a second without a point of production.

Oh! Thought of something else - in my experience, every goody hut in the game is paired with one nearby camp. So if you see a goodie hut, grab it, but recognize that there’s a barb camp in the vicinity.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, from what I understand, the first tier of leaders is extremely not worth it since they have Warband stats. Leader 2s last a fair bit longer, but also Leader 3s are more accessible than you think because the middle ages unlock crossbows, which upgrade to Leader 3s.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Leaders, pfft....*smirks Heroically*

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Having a leader is a stack (or a hero, who counts as one) is a quite nice bonus, especially as your army sizes get larger and the tactics bonuses get higher. As noted, once a unit is tranformed into a leader it can't upgrade anymore, so if you upgrade a warband or a scout into a leader 1 they're never turning into a leader 2. The intent is instead that you retire them - a special action leaders get that removes them but gives you warfare xp based on their level (and it can be quite a lot of xp). It's worth noting that levels are very important for that, though - when you upgrade a unit to a leader it loses 1 level, so if you upgrade a level 1 unit and then don't level the leader in combat it can't retire.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Barbarians definitely need some tuning. I don't think huge changes are needed, just a couple little tweaks. Delay barbarian spawns for maybe 7-10 turns after the start of the game to give you time to scout out a few hexes in each direction, then slightly reduce the overall spawn rate. I think those two combined would mostly solve things. If not, they'd at least give a good base for future adjustments. I don't think you want to make barbarians too scarce because that greatly decreases the value of civics like Khans or Explorers that make you neutral to barbs, and ages like Age of Aether that remove all barbarians from the map.

Some other observations from a mostly-complete game (I'm 51% of the way to an Archangel victory having wiped out two civs and am still the only one in the Age of Archangels, so it's pretty inevitable):

• If you play on an Islands map, you're NOT going to get either Age of Blood or Age of Heroes because there simply won't be the opportunity, which means avoiding an Age of Plague will take a heroic research effort on your part. I was the one who triggered Age of Iron in my game and did the three cheapest techs and I was still two or three turns behind Japan when it came to triggering the next Age.
  • I don't know if this was just my map seed or the way Islands is supposed to generate, but the map I played on had 8 large-ish islands (enough for 2-3 good cities) with one nation on each, and the islands were arranged in a ring around a slightly larger central island full of minor cities. Getting there first and vassalizing them all is part of what let me catapult past the AIs despite a pretty miserable age 4-5.
  • Don't bother with Age of Alchemists unless you have a bunch of gold nearby (or are willing to spend a bunch of exploration XP on prospectors to make your own). All the alchemy improvements require gold to work. There's useful stuff in there (one that turns two gold into sixteen food and sanitation--that's sixteen of each!--for example) but it's pretty useless if you don't have the gold to power it.
  • Age of Utopia is interesting, but I'm not sure I'll intentionally trigger it again. The underwater cities are extremely limited. They're soft capped at 10 size, they can only build a total of 4 buildings, they absolutely require your other cities to send them a bunch of goods to get anything done, and there's no guarantee you'll actually get good underwater resources near you. That said, you can have a single underwater city working two brain corals and two underwater biotech labs generating a total of 40(!) knowledge, plus using its special production conversion project to turn production into either more knowledge or innovation at a 10% rate.
  • I believe it's been mentioned before upthread, but Age of Archangels is kind of dumb. Even if you're literally the only civ in the AoA, nobody has any clue that you're the one firing the giant mega region-killer lasers. You can literally sign open borders with all the AIs and run around their territory with noncombatant units blowing up all their cities and, if anything, they actually get friendlier with you over time because they're losing big chunks of power and you aren't.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Age of Plagues is awful. It felt like I was the only one actually suffering because I kept getting attacked by the Zulus the whole time and they could field huge armies the whole time. And the fustrating thing about the whole situation is that I was making sure my cities were clean, some other civ who is just pooping everywhere causes serious poo poo to gently caress everyone up? That seems really fustrating. Especially a civ I haven't even met yet. Thanks Japan. I think more launch options would be a good idea, stuff like you can turn off certain non standard ages, select the barbarian strengths, and the agressiveness of AIs. Sometimes I just want a chill hang where i build cities and put down mines, and not fighting for survival like its a Total War game.

Anyways, I'm about to either go into age of aether or harmony, because I just focused heavily on tech stuff when I wasn't building military, after focusing heavily on culture so when the Zulus attack me, i just need to wait a few turns to force them into a truce. But I'm limited by my lack of production of specialists. And I can't seem to figure out what produces them.

Ah wait, I just needed to discover another tech and I can build buildings that produce specialists.

And man this chugs like mad at this point. Its like i was playing it on an HDD not an SSD.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My understanding is that you can't go from Crisis Age to Crisis Age, right? Deliberately going for Age of Blood sounds like a decent counterplay to Plagues, NGL.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also, cities need a build order. Its not fun to have to constantly check if you're build enough of one unit for your army layout, easier just to queue it all up and let them build.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

What's the deal with domestic trade? I see it mentioned in the market tooltip as an alternative to foreign trade, but I have no idea what actually grants the capacity.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eschatos posted:

What's the deal with domestic trade? I see it mentioned in the market tooltip as an alternative to foreign trade, but I have no idea what actually grants the capacity.

It's first unlocked in age 3, and then some buildings will give you domestic trade capacity. You get to send goods from one of your cities to another.

You can use it for sending finished production goods to a city where the production is needed (perhaps a newly-settled place?), or you could send finished food goods to a city where you need more growth, or you could send luxuries or other needs-meeting goods (like books or religious texts) around the place.

It's annoyingly fiddly to use though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Eschatos posted:

There's a building, or rather a building line, that gives domestic trade slots. Also one of the age 6 governments has an ability to add an extra slot. If you have it the option appears right under the foreign trade slots.

It's basically just moving goods from one city to another, no cost but the origin city loses the benefit of the good. It can be handy for either shuffling solo raw materials around (IE a city has one lumber, or wheat, or whatever, and the processing building uses two) or moving things to deal with needs (if one city has excess food and another needs more food, for example, you can send bread).

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Jabor posted:

It's first unlocked in age 3, and then some buildings will give you domestic trade capacity. You get to send goods from one of your cities to another.

You can use it for sending finished production goods to a city where the production is needed (perhaps a newly-settled place?), or you could send finished food goods to a city where you need more growth, or you could send luxuries or other needs-meeting goods (like books or religious texts) around the place.

It's annoyingly fiddly to use though.

Ok but what buildings? Skimming through all the techs in ages 3 and 4 and not seeing anything.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Ok but what buildings? Skimming through all the techs in ages 3 and 4 and not seeing anything.

The first one is called Stores, and the line is called warehouses. Stores comes free with the Age of Iron, at least, not sure about variant ages.

Edit: It looks like if you have a variant age you might not get it, but Warehouses (the next building in the line) is in Finance for Age of Renaissance or Support for Age of Conquest, and the alternative Trade Company is available from Open Sailing in the Age of Discovery. Interesting, and I guess that's how I missed it in my previous game since an AI took us into Age of Heroes.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 31, 2024

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Yeah I had age of heroes. I guess they're too important to waste time trading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh sick, innovations can even unlock superior unit variants that'll outperform nearly everything in their tier until they reach obsoletion. I got a Hoplite unit innovation that had better stats than even Pikemen, a unit one Age above it.

Also another innovation gave all my line units a defense bonus vs. ranged, basically neutralizing their weakness. Game's fuckin cool, man.