Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Ipiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1774340111452287416
:toot:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“Big Woke” lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's not just you, unless you have a serious medical problem.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

smellmycheese posted:

“Big Woke” lol

Charlotte Gill is deliberately poo poo stirring to try and raise her media profile, I kind of admire the grift.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Every time I see a journalist called Gill I need to check if they are related to the restaurant critic, the former home secretary or the paedophile.

And it's always all of them m

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/28/andrew-bridgen-must-pay-matt-hancock-legal-fees-of-40000-in-libel-claim

We missed this :lol: from Friday:

quote:

Andrew Bridgen must pay Matt Hancock legal fees of £40,000 in libel claim

The MP Andrew Bridgen has been ordered to pay Matt Hancock more than £40,000 in legal fees after an early stage of their libel battle.

The MP for North West Leicestershire is bringing a libel claim against the former health secretary regarding a January 2023 message on X that followed Bridgen posting a comment about Covid-19 vaccines.

The high court in London previously heard that Bridgen wanted to “clear his name” after allegedly being accused of antisemitism in a “malicious” social media post by the former I’m a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here! contestant.

At the previous hearing, a judge was told that Bridgen shared a link to an article about data on deaths and other adverse reactions linked to Covid vaccines, and stated: “As one consultant cardiologist said to me, this is the biggest crime against humanity since the Holocaust.”

Hours later, Hancock wrote on X that “disgusting and dangerous antisemitic, anti-vax, anti-scientific conspiracy theories spouted by a sitting MP this morning are unacceptable and have absolutely no place in our society”.

Bridgen believes “every person reading the tweet knew it was about me”, that it was “seriously defamatory and untrue” and intended to cause “grievous harm” to his reputation, the court was told.

Hancock’s lawyers argued that the claim against him should be thrown out as it did not have a “realistic prospect of success” and because of the “lack of a properly articulated case”.

In a ruling last week, Mrs Justice Steyn “struck out” certain parts of Bridgen’s case but did not dismiss the whole claim, instead giving the independent MP a chance to make amendments and “remedy the deficiencies”. Bridgen was ordered to pay £44,300 in legal costs to the MP for West Suffolk in a court order on Thursday.

:allears:

keep punching joe posted:

Every time I see a journalist called Gill I need to check if they are related to the restaurant critic, the former home secretary or the paedophile.

And it's always all of them m
Judging by the url of her old wordpress site she used to go by Catherine: https://catherinecgill.wordpress.com/ - just in case you know of any famous Gill offspring with the same name

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 31, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

loving hell! The King's been stabbed!

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 31, 2024

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

gently caress hell! The King's been stabbed!

Glad they put him out of his misery.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

gently caress hell! The King's been stabbed!

Anglicans and their weird heathen rituals

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
King Chuck about to Force Lightning the paparazzi.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

happyhippy posted:

King Chuck about to Force Lightning the paparazzi.

finally, a reason to be a monarchist

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mediaphage posted:

finally, a reason to be a monarchist

God, it's like you want us all to get scrofula.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice coat he has, wouldn't mind one of them myself.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Nice coat he has, wouldn't mind one of them myself.

I dunno, I think only Archbishops can wear those.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/king-charles-funeral-plans-unveiled-131200834.html

quote:

... Queen Camilla is said to be frustrated by Charles’ declining health and weakened status.

“Behind the scenes, Camilla is disgusted by the king’s apparent weakness and is providing him little comfort as he battles his fatal cancer,” a palace courtier told In Touch in early March, highlighting her vacation from royal duties which started on March 4. “By going on holiday, she was thumbing her nose at stepson William, who is incapable of shouldering the monarchy’s burdens on his own.”

Harry did the right thing by removing himself from that toxic family, but it sounds like Charles and Camilla deserve each other :allears:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

God, it's like you want us all to get scrofula.

look if i have to swear an oath to the monarchy the least i can do is get evil psychic powers out of it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

quote:

... Queen Camilla is said to be frustrated by Charles’ declining health and weakened status.

“Behind the scenes, Camilla is disgusted by the king’s apparent weakness and is providing him little comfort as he battles his fatal cancer,” a palace courtier told In Touch in early March, highlighting her vacation from royal duties which started on March 4. “By going on holiday, she was thumbing her nose at stepson William, who is incapable of shouldering the monarchy’s burdens on his own.”

My mum was a bit like that with my dad even once the cancer was diagnosed - impatient with him being weak & just not having the energy to work in the garden or do much at all really.
I think it's a form of 'denial' (mum was in denial about how ill dad was until almost the end when I had to yell at her to make her understand that he had little time left & the ironing could bloody well wait - she was always disappearing to 'do ironing' while all dad wanted was for her to sit with him & watch Lewis or whatever. He'd put the pause on while she disappeared but by the time she came back maybe half an hour later he'd have completely lost the thread of the plot. Though she's never been one to sit & watch anything but Monty Don all the way through).

Unrelated:

Maybe the lost hour has fked with my mind, but I cannot parse this tweet at all - is it saying Susan Hall paid for her own anti-Susan Hall ads?

https://x.com/WhoTargetsMe/status/1772275109987762216?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 31, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe the lost hour has fked with my mind, but I cannot parse this tweet at all - is it saying Susan Hall paid for her own anti-Susan Hall ads?

It says london labour paid for them

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/king-charles-funeral-plans-unveiled-131200834.html

Harry did the right thing by removing himself from that toxic family, but it sounds like Charles and Camilla deserve each other :allears:

Lmao, dying of cancer LIKE A DOG. Get up and go shoot a stag you lazy twat

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

fuctifino posted:

Is there such a thing as a Queen Stepmother as well? It’s likely also William will cut her out of the firm.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Are we really surprised that a bunch of rich bastards despise weakness?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Camilla a oval office? It's always the ones you least expect

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think the more surprising thing is a supposedly senior courtier leaking "yeah mate it's a shitshow" to the press

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That article says:

that William is “currently facing a public relations disaster."

Is that the current one or an rear end yet unknown one?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i think the more surprising thing is a supposedly senior courtier leaking "yeah mate it's a shitshow" to the press

Probably someone estimating that they have less than a year left in their job so might as well sell a scoop while it's hot.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

quote:

However, additional sources told In Touch that more could be at play between Charles and William outside of the family’s respective health crises, as the king is under the impression William is not ready to take the throne.

Anne as Regent?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Spare a thought this Easter for Britains most persecuted class, the unfairly maligned landlord.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...y-will-carry-on

quote:

Jen Boyle, a 64-year-old widow from Falkirk, owns and runs two small holiday lets on the Scottish island of Cumbrae, home to about 1,300 people. In the last tax year, the properties generated £15,000 in turnover, though Boyle’s personal profit was only around £5,000 after expenses.

“I pay for heating, water rates, internet, new bedding, occasional repairs and for using the local launderette; I employ local cleaners, gardeners, a local guy who takes out my bins,” she says. “I only charge £420 a week in the high season. People who come to the island tend to be from the Glasgow area and generally don’t have a lot of money, so increasing my rates is not really an option.”

Boyle and her late husband bought the properties for about £30,000 each a few years ago. “They are tiny, essentially a room and kitchen,” she said. “I think if I sold them it’s highly unlikely that anybody on the island would want to live in them, they’re just too small.”

Jeremy Hunt, the chancellor, however, is hoping for exactly that. In his spring budget this month, he abolished tax relief for properties like Boyle’s, so-called furnished holiday lettings (FHLs), from April 2025.

Since George Osborne decided to scrap mortgage interest tax relief for buy-to-let properties when he was chancellor in 2015, the popularity of FHLs has soared, as this type of holiday accommodation continued to enjoy special tax allowances that long-term rentals had lost.

Amid reports about devastating shortages of affordable housing for local residents in popular holiday areas in recent years, Hunt decided to make the ownership of FHLs less financially attractive, hoping this would persuade landlords to either sell up or switch their holiday homes to long-term rentals.

Scores of owners of FHLs who got in touch with the Observer believe the new tax rules may have the exact opposite effect.

Many said the chancellor had conflated the wealthy owners of second homes with people who run holiday lettings as small businesses, often as their only source of income in areas of the country where work outside the tourism sector is scarce.

Virtually all respondents to an online callout feared Hunt’s measures would increase the number of second-home owners in the UK, rather than reduce it, as the loss of tax relief was likely to make running these businesses unsustainable for the less well-off as mortgage costs soar, and could force them to sell their properties to wealthier cash buyers.

“People confuse second-home owners who perhaps use a large property twice a year and contribute very little to the local economy with genuine furnished holiday letting owners who are simply running a business, employ local people and bring much-needed leisure income to an area that relies heavily on tourism,” Boyle said.

“I have been on a perilously low income since the death of my husband, and the income from this business has been essential. I am heartily sick of being portrayed as a money-grabbing, greedy landlady, and people like me are not the solution for the housing shortage.”

Boyle, who says her state pension will not be enough to live on, now fears that the scrapping of FHL tax relief will reduce the value of her properties when she wants to sell them.

“I am very concerned,” she said. “These flats were built by the Victorians precisely for holiday ownership. I don’t know who may want to buy them [for what they’re currently worth] if these changes go ahead.”

Many owners of holiday rentals with mortgages said they would probably have to sell as the loss of tax relief would make their rentals unprofitable.

Many people who own their holiday homes outright, meanwhile, said they would keep them, but either stop renting them out, or charge guests more in future –suggesting the UK tourism sector could be dominated by affluent investors catering for well-to-do customers.

Cate, 52, who bought a three-bedroom property that had previously been a second home in the popular holiday spot of Gwynedd in north-west Wales in 2019, said the chancellor’s plans could be terminal for her tourism business, which, she said, served “modest holidaymakers who want to enjoy the Welsh countryside”.

“It’s a genuinely cheap retreat for people, my guests love it. This was meant to be my retirement plan, which is now potentially in ruins,” she said. “After [ex-prime minister Liz] Truss, my interest repayments on my property increased from £500 to £1,400 per month, [and] any profit disappeared. In the 2022-23 tax year, my turnover was £47,000, but my net profit was only £4,000.

“I’m Welsh and really care about the housing situation here, but this is pitting people against each other without solving the housing crisis
.”

Last year, about 8,000 out of Gwynedd’s 55,000 households were second homes.

A single mother from Wales, who wanted to stay anonymous, said she had converted a house into a holiday rental that had previously been on the market for two years.

There isn’t a buying culture here – wages are too low, people want to rent,” she said. “But there isn’t enough council housing stock and the long-term rental market has been made more unattractive and unaffordable for landlords.”

Scores of holiday home owners, most of them mortgage-free, said they could not be persuaded to accept long-term tenants again under current conditions.

“I will never return to the buy-to-let space after having a tenant in my property for eight months, receiving only the first two months’ payments, and now having to wait another six months in the court queue to evict,” said one woman who rents out her property to holidaymakers in Morecambe.

“I’ll see how I go, but if I’m running at a loss I’ll keep the property as a second home for my family instead, a real shame for the local economy.”

This sentiment was echoed by Claire, a 51-year-old mother-of-three, who, last year, left her NHS job in radiography to run a mortgage-free holiday cottage in West Yorkshire and ruled out switching to long-term tenants.

I wouldn’t let it as a residential property, I couldn’t hand over the keys to a tenant with that many rights. We won’t sell, but we’ll put the prices sky-high, to cover costs that were previously deductible.

This hits the wrong people. The rich second home owners, who can afford to let their properties sit empty except for a few weeks a year, will carry on.

One of them is Max, 59, from Northampton, who owns a three-bed house in North Devon.

“We would never let this house long-term because we use it ourselves once a month,” he said. “Even if we did – my housekeeper struggles to rent locally, but our house is worth £750,000. Nobody living here could rent or buy it. Without making long-term letting attractive again and bringing back the tax breaks for buy-to-lets George Osborne scrapped, this attack on the FHL industry is a complete waste of time.

“There’s plenty of empty space here that could be used to build affordable and social housing, which could be solved with planning policy.

If it becomes too much of a ball ache for us to rent this house out to holiday makers, we’ll just turn it into a second home, it would make no difference to my overall wellbeing.”

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 31, 2024

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

keep punching joe posted:

“I wouldn’t let it as a residential property, I couldn’t hand over the keys to a tenant with that many rights"

lol, incredible

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i started off reasonably sympathetic to the little old lady with a couple of shacks on a scottish island but overall, indeed, lol

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"How am I to live on this little" scream people who've been making money off things for years. For all the yelling at the poor to tighten their belts, consider doing the same.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"You just need to work harder, people can't expect anything for nothing" says people also boasting about passive income as a path to early retirement on linkedin.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

"How am I to live on this little" scream people who've been making money off things for years. For all the yelling at the poor to tighten their belts, consider doing the same.

Has she considered selling off her actual house & living in the one bedroom holiday let? Seems a plan to me if you can't live in on the state pension, sell the assets you have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you bought it at 30k and have been letting it out at 5k profit per year for several years you have essentially been given a free house.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Royal Family just completely imploding due to a combination of illness, stupidity, noncing and bitter infighting would be an extremely lulzworthy addition to 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Has she considered selling off her actual house & living in the one bedroom holiday let? Seems a plan to me if you can't live in on the state pension, sell the assets you have.

The complaint is that the tax changes have rendered the assets worth(less). They only had value as holiday lets and that is now not profitable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The complaint is that the tax changes have rendered the assets worth(less). They only had value as holiday lets and that is now not profitable.

That's why I'm saying she sells her actual house & moves into the now worthless property. Problem solved.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Poo and pee

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If you bought it at 30k and have been letting it out at 5k profit per year for several years you have essentially been given a free house.

lol they didn’t use that to pay off their mortgage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

That's why I'm saying she sells her actual house & moves into the now worthless property. Problem solved.

I don't think she actually lives on the island.