Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The new ragdolls in 2 are really good. love when a warrior pawn sends something cartwheeling through the air or a big monster slumps onto the terrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Adding details about mods and modding to the second post. Having mods to adjust the camera position totally alter the feeling of the game, I don't know how I've managed to play with it sitting so close to me the whole time.

If you've never modded an RE engine game before the settings aren't sitting up there the whole time, I've just left them on to see what's what.

Walking around Battahl with a much clearer view of things happening around the place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxjspfAZYHQ

Zooming right out for a scenic view above the trees, then a Griffin stops to attack us (might still be processing HD).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGAlHpFhaxc

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 31, 2024

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Man, after playing the starting melee classes trying out Archer is so weird to play, especially with a controller.

Any tips to play this class better?

It feels like i'm doing something wrong playing it since my damage output is massively reduced since I switched over, i'm more used to how archery worked in DD1.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

My today with DD2.

~Realize that the coronation made 'An Ornate Box' uncompletable because Sven is no longer in the capital.
~Get informed that Sven wants to see me in the capital.
~See Sven in the castle. Obviously can't give him the box.
~Go to the Border Town. Rest at the Inn, get ready to go north.
~Keep dying to some large skeleton with a greatsword who would occasionally decide 'yo gently caress this sorcerer' and one shot me.
~Realize that I hadn't actually accomplished anything since my last rest. Go to 'Last Inn Save'
~Reload into my house, losing the entire session. Apparently I don't know the difference between a Tavern and an Inn or something. Apparently buying everybody a round isn't resting at an Inn despite it costing money and having a little bed symbol on the map. (So what good is it?).

I completed the ornate box quest in the "post game" fwiw so it is still completable

Kild posted:

I dont think so, sadly. You're just a bubble spammer who does normal attacks and can teleport sometimes. Wish their non bubble skills were good especially versus large enemies. The insta kill move says it's supposed to do something to large enemies that isnt insta kill but from what I could tell it wasn't doing anything noticeable?

you can zoom into a monster's head from 10 yards away and then dragoon stab it after connecting? if you're just gonna bubble itll be boring as poo poo for sure

Sloober fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 31, 2024

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
My pawn finally got the cyclops badge which means I can no longer set cyclops hunting as my pawn quest. This is dumb because cyclops hunting with a 10000 gold reward is one of the best ways to get your pawn hired now I'm locked out of the option.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Phantom Oxcart quest:

Can I go back and get revenge on the checkpoint guards who beat me up or does it mess with progression should I want to walk through the gates at some point?

This quest seems like it'll have some continuation later, it was a fun mystery.

Koorisch posted:

Man, after playing the starting melee classes trying out Archer is so weird to play, especially with a controller.

It feels like i'm doing something wrong playing it since my damage output is massively reduced since I switched over, i'm more used to how archery worked in DD1.

One thing that makes it a bit better is that you don't need to aim if you don't want to, just fire off your attacks (special ones too) and they auto-aim. Obviously can't target weak spots that way, but hey, I don't like aiming with a controller either (and therefore I have skipped archer so far other than level 4-5 or so)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Archer felt pretty drat strong with mkb, but yeah I can see it not being that easy on controller

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Morroque posted:

I wonder if the concept of "dungeons" may be something game designers are moving away from these days. The Legend of Zelda was a series which typified their use, but then they had a game where they decided to make a bunch of little, bite-sized dungeons that could be completed in only a few minutes, instead of the comparatively large ones from before that supposedly took hours. The turnaround on that change was so successful that darn near everyone is doing it now.

... but I also wonder if it isn't really a matter of scale. With seamless open-worlds like these, having no loading zones or other dedicated boundaries, everything loses its sense of proportion after a while. They could drop a DD1 location right into DD2's engine and it would feel smaller because everything else is just that large. Maybe it's possible that a lot of the very large cave systems in the game are actually quite comparable to the "dungeons" of eld, but we're no longer capable of assessing it objectively because everything needs to be that much larger, just to pass.
I find that it's usually the latter. Bigger games have almost no indoor enviroments because everything is supposed to feel big 100% of the time. MGSV had barely any, Zelda didn't feature caves until TOTK... However, it also robbed open world of discovery, knowing that everything is a cave or a crypt of two rooms. While there are a few caves that are definitely bigger than the sunken ruins behind the waterfall from DD1, it's the presentation that goes a long way. The rewards in those places might also be good, of course, so you d oseek them out and they give you happy chemicals, but nothing compared to the Griffin (or was it Cockatrice?) tower of DD1 complete with Crash Bandicoot section.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Koorisch posted:

What rank are you? I found it only really picked up after a about 3-4.
Damage drop off from range is pretty high, so you'll need to be kinda close, and the burst fire skill feels kinda bad. (Maybe the spread shot is better? But the timing on the single isn't any faster than just spamming shots after you get the speed upgrade and I didn't notice a worthwhile damage increase)
Also, you really want to be hitting weak spots with the aimed shots.
For the jump kick move you don't need to be dashing, only moving, and the unaimed shot from that and while dashing does a fair amount of damage.
Finally, grab any stamina improvements you can because the later skills chew through it like you wouldn't believe.

That's everything I'd picked up, but I didn't really experiment, just leveled for the augments and then later used a bow as warfarer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Most classes only come online after rank 3-4.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I think my Pawn spent too long as a Thief; I just watched her hit a goblin with an Explosive Arrow to knock it down, then run over and start punching it in the head while it was on the ground.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Morroque posted:

I wonder if the concept of "dungeons" may be something game designers are moving away from these days. The Legend of Zelda was a series which typified their use, but then they had a game where they decided to make a bunch of little, bite-sized dungeons that could be completed in only a few minutes, instead of the comparatively large ones from before that supposedly took hours. The turnaround on that change was so successful that darn near everyone is doing it now.

... but I also wonder if it isn't really a matter of scale. With seamless open-worlds like these, having no loading zones or other dedicated boundaries, everything loses its sense of proportion after a while. They could drop a DD1 location right into DD2's engine and it would feel smaller because everything else is just that large. Maybe it's possible that a lot of the very large cave systems in the game are actually quite comparable to the "dungeons" of eld, but we're no longer capable of assessing it objectively because everything needs to be that much larger, just to pass.

Stuff like Zelda OOT and Majora's Mask had a unique story and theme attached to every dungeon while simultaneously being part of the main quest. There was a special objective there relevant to the overall story, a person you were going there on behalf of who represented an entire town or ethnicity with a developed culture, and that individual developed some kind of special connection to the main character if they didn't know you already. Each place also had a theme song that you learned to play, which helped you travel around the world or access it further. It was incredibly deep design.

Compared to that DD2 has a big story but to me it felt like nothing came together and I had no idea who anyone was supposed to be beyond Brant, Sven and Disa. I didn't see why Ulrika was important, and suddenly she was really into me and trying to become a lover even after I turned her down the first time. It's a completely different kind of design that encourages player freedom, but communicates it in this really loose way that I just don't care about the plight of the world at all.

IMO I'd say the deepest dungeon design for DD2 is the mines in Battahl that you visit for the Dwarven smith and his apprentice, to collect glowing ore that responds to other sources of light. It forces you to walk around without your lantern on so you can determine which elements are valuable or not, in a place full of enemies. If the devs had a bit more time it could have been a very scary place to visit.

e: This is almost like Baldur's Gate act 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhgI5uHV9Q

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 31, 2024

Reive
May 21, 2009

Would I enjoy Dark Arisen after finishing 2? I've had it for forever and always felt it was incredibly difficult but my mindset for 2 tells me I should give it another try.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Dark Arisen is a superior game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

Dark Arisen is a superior game.

We all miss BBI but that's an insane thing to say.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Koorisch posted:

Left Shoulder + Skill will auto target your skills, while Right Shoulder + Skill allows for manual targeting. So Left is good for smaller things or if you're running around a lot, Right is great for nailing weak points and trying to knock down big guys.

Good skills:

Barrage/Manifold - use this on downed enemies
Torrent/Tempest - you'll likely replace Barrage/Manifold with this once you get it

Dire/Deathly - good for downing big guys, slams little guys around. Launch it as soon as your character flashes white for maximum power.

Whirling/Spiral - does continual damage to whatever it sticks into, so good for sticking into weak spots of big guys or using to clear crowds

Your other skill is probably going to be one of the debuff arrows, depending on what pawns you're with. I always liked Exploding/Erupting because it can set big guys on fire.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vargs posted:

I took her with me today on my low-level journey to unlock Magick Archer early. She jumped into the brine almost immediately.

lol

dat feel when you invest in getting your pawn to 835 Strength and all they do is jump into the brine constantly

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm surprised peope aren't pointing out the crazy damage exploding arrow does if you hit a weak spot with it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

We all miss BBI but that's an insane thing to say.

It can have a higher frame rate for more people

maybe.. you are insane

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I would trade trickster for mystic knight in a heart beat.

Trickster is fun, but also really bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It can have a higher frame rate for more people

maybe.. you are insane

Pong can have even higher framerate, so clearly it's the superior game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

Good skills:

Barrage/Manifold - use this on downed enemies
Torrent/Tempest - you'll likely replace Barrage/Manifold with this once you get it

Dire/Deathly - good for downing big guys, slams little guys around. Launch it as soon as your character flashes white for maximum power.

Whirling/Spiral - does continual damage to whatever it sticks into, so good for sticking into weak spots of big guys or using to clear crowds

Your other skill is probably going to be one of the debuff arrows, depending on what pawns you're with. I always liked Exploding/Erupting because it can set big guys on fire.

This recommended for pawns as well? I think it's what I have except Lyncean Sight instead of Deathly Arrow, and I should probably get rid of Lyncean since it doesn't seem to be all that effective on her.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You know, I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned all the "upgraded" skills being just the base skill but better.

Like, I don't think there's a single upgraded skill that really changes anything, they're all just bigger numbers.

Was it like that in DD1?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Sorcerer has been effective so far but with no way to target weakpoints I worry I'm going to have trouble with Drakes etc.
What element should I be using on the stone lizards (rattlers)?

Most things die when I apply High Levin spam to stunlock them while a warrior pawn walks over to hit them very, very hard. High Halgol is also handy for slowing down groups of monsters to be easily picked off by my pawns (and it is very funny when a mostly frozen enemy uses Blink Strike to replicate the steam roller scene from Austin Powers).

You can target weak points with spells, but the camera can be finicky and jump between them rapidly. It isn't really necessary once you have Meteoron and Maelstrom though, since they *will* gently caress up your target if they're even in the rough vicinity of where the spell lands.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Everdraed posted:

just wanna say that profoundly sucks and they did not make the sudden stakes increase clear at all. if I hadn't seen that exact scenario (save functionality behavior being suddenly drastically changed without being informed) happening to other players I 100% woulda gotten bit myself

I was able to rush back by only doing the sidequest stuff in about two hours but I had done a bit of grinding that I currently didn't want to do. I was aware of the weirdly imposed time limit but the one thing I wasn't expecting (I guess it makes sense POSTGAME SPOILER with respect to the Seneschal saying the world is ending eventually) was for it to just not let you reload your last save.

DD2's postgame would work perfectly fine if that time limit or penalty didn't exist and it just upgraded the overworld like it did in DD1 but camping/inn resting is just not allowed!!!!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Oh yeah, another musing about the game now that I've finished it once.

My only run-in with the dragonsplague was ages ago in the misty woods area when I got the free broken rift stone summon and the tutorial window popped up. I got rid of that pawn basically immediately though and as far as I can tell didn't see a single dragonsplague sufferer the rest of the game. No disobedience, no glowy red eyes, nothing. Postgame seems like the prime place to pick it up but none of my pawns got it there either, although admittedly I mostly beelined the objectives/fights and didn't stick around much. The fact that the internet lost its collective mind over this poo poo is still really funny since on top of it feeling pretty rare, you'd need to ignore it for quite a bit for the big boom to happen from what I've read. Or maybe I just got very lucky.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I never really went exploring in the postgame, but are there any new dungeons that become available, or is it just the endless supply of chests with ferrystones?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There's some new caves in the postgame's new areas but I definitely didn't find many, and the one or two I found had pretty normal loot in them. Nothing special or endgamey.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Clocks posted:

Oh yeah, another musing about the game now that I've finished it once.

My only run-in with the dragonsplague was ages ago in the misty woods area when I got the free broken rift stone summon and the tutorial window popped up. I got rid of that pawn basically immediately though and as far as I can tell didn't see a single dragonsplague sufferer the rest of the game. No disobedience, no glowy red eyes, nothing. Postgame seems like the prime place to pick it up but none of my pawns got it there either, although admittedly I mostly beelined the objectives/fights and didn't stick around much. The fact that the internet lost its collective mind over this poo poo is still really funny since on top of it feeling pretty rare, you'd need to ignore it for quite a bit for the big boom to happen from what I've read. Or maybe I just got very lucky.

I was actually disappointed with how things went down in that regard in my game. My pawn had glowing red eyes at various points, as well as sus voice lines. Out of curiosity I decided not to intervene to see what would happen, but her eyes always just went back to blue after resting. One time they reverted to normal even though I hadn't even rested. I'm honestly not sure how these people managed to unintentionally blow up entire towns, I couldn't get the disease to progress even though I actively wanted it to.

Broken Cog posted:

I never really went exploring in the postgame, but are there any new dungeons that become available, or is it just the endless supply of chests with ferrystones?

There are quite a few areas that open up, since all the water is now gone. Yes, they mostly just feature chests with ferrystones in them, but I did find a Gorechimera at one point, in case you still need a Black Freakish Mane.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm trying out different vocations so I just don't end up doing the same thing for the entire game, but man Warrior seems so slow compared to Mystic Spearhand. On the plus side, a minotaur sat on me and it did practically zero HP damage and I'm able to turn myself into a springboard for my pawns to bounce up and stab it in the loving eye. Swings and roundabouts.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw, if anyone is looking for a pretty strong and skimpy armor for fighter/warrior, on volcanic island, go to the hot springs, jump in from above, and fall down the ledge at the back there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The House of Blue Sunbright sucks and I threw that lady off of her own balcony afterwards, she lived sadly.

But it must have looked really rad because immediately afterwards some guy offered me a house in the noble quarter for 200k gold.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Another tip for playing Archer: don't neglect Front Kick. It counts as blunt damage, so if you encounter something like the rock lizards that arrows and blades do almost nothing to, just run up and start kicking it. Also I feel like the kick staggers/knocks down enemies pretty easily.

Also skeletons are weak to the front kick as well

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 31, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Sea Lily posted:

There's some new caves in the postgame's new areas but I definitely didn't find many, and the one or two I found had pretty normal loot in them. Nothing special or endgamey.
the most notable postgame loot seemed to be 7-8 unique bits of armor (mostly nice hats, includin' an armored crown and ninja mask) that were in chests in the revealed areas

I saw one unmarked, un-interior-mapped tiny lil crypt dungeon that had an entrance at the bottom of an empty lake, which I think had some nice pants? and a skeleton knight

apparently there's a pawn affinity system which if you manage to hit enough affinity with your pawn they can blush in conversation and you get a slightly different variation of the true ending. nothing major, but some neat emotion. talking to pawns, high-fiving them, bringing them to the hotsprings, giving them makeovers all give increasing points, though with cooldowns

ended up installing a few mods, most notably infinite stamina outside of combat which I'll probably never play again without, and true warfarer which is a bit busted (lets ya have armament + 3 unique skills for every vocation) but just wayyy more convenient and fun. I'll probably try to figure out a way to do a new game with it + all vocations unlocked from the start

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Everdraed posted:

apparently there's a pawn affinity system which if you manage to hit enough affinity with your pawn they can blush in conversation and you get a slightly different variation of the true ending. nothing major, but some neat emotion. talking to pawns, high-fiving them, bringing them to the hotsprings, giving them makeovers all give increasing points, though with cooldowns

I had no idea. I talk to mine pretty regularly, but I guess that's not enough. Haven't done any of that other stuff except high-fiving occasionally.

quote:

ended up installing a few mods, most notably infinite stamina outside of combat which I'll probably never play again without, and true warfarer which is a bit busted (lets ya have armament + 3 unique skills for every vocation) but just wayyy more convenient and fun. I'll probably try to figure out a way to do a new game with it + all vocations unlocked from the start

Going to see if there's a mod that allows you to see the locations of the remaining Golden Trove Beetles on the map. Capcop would never come down on you for using any of these, right?

Btw I still have my pawn quest up asking for a beetle in exchange for Magick Medal x 8, if anyone wants to help me out.

e: there is apparently a mod that lets you see your pawn's affinity, could be useful:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/293

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 31, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Channel your inner Agincourt; knock those pompous lizards down and then just stomp the poo poo out of them.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
postgame stuff:

The pathfinding AI of my pawns and the "save everyone within this time limit" thing really make me feel like I'm playing Dead Rising 1 again

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Reive posted:

Would I enjoy Dark Arisen after finishing 2? I've had it for forever and always felt it was incredibly difficult but my mindset for 2 tells me I should give it another try.

I went back to DD:DA after about 20 hours in DD2 - not because I disliked my time in DD2, was having a lot of fun, but more because it makes sense to wait on patches and DLC for DD2 while finishing the game I always liked but never got more than 20 hours into.

I somehow seem to appreciate DA all the more now, probably because I've played a *lot* of Monster Hunter in the years since DD1 came out - starting with World and going back to some of the older games. I appreciate DD's combat style a lot more now.

It's been a real blast so far. Just clearing out the quarry, so I'm really very early in the game.

I even chose not to mod the game except for one that tweaks MA/MK to have a slightly rebalanced stat growth where one point each is moved from the phys/magic defenses to the phys/magic attacks. Plan to use any and all classes as I choose and not try to min/max at all.

It's a lot of fun, def go back to DD:DA if you're even remotely interested.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I would trade trickster for mystic knight in a heart beat.

Trickster is fun, but also really bad.

That they didn't add more vocations is definitely my biggest disappointment about dd2. I don't really understand why they got rid of those other ones. Assassin and thief sure I guess, but they coulda made assassin the advanced form of thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

e: there is apparently a mod that lets you see your pawn's affinity, could be useful:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/293

It's peak Dragon's Dogma for this entire system to be hidden from the player. I don't know who would ever organically end up maxing out their affinity with their pawn. Who the gently caress is visiting the hot springs every ten minutes? I didn't do it even once during my first playthrough.