Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Precambrian Video Games posted:

More young people are getting colorectal cancer(s), which is an ok article, but I had thoughts on Why Are Older Americans Drinking So Much?:

The article goes on but as far as I can tell does not actually answer the question in the end, perhaps because there's still no new CDC mortality data? But then why even write this, other than to meet a deadline and open with the slightly troubling anecdote about the 77-year-old with signs of dementia drinking a pint of scotch per day?

Pre-covid the per-capita ethanol consumption was on the same trajectory so unsurprisingly the NYT is full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

DickParasite posted:

Pre-covid the per-capita ethanol consumption was on the same trajectory so unsurprisingly the NYT is full of poo poo.

lockdowns stretching back to 1995, yet they call it the Land of the Free

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

huh, kinda surprised by this since it this does not match at all my experience the past 15+ years. I feel like wine's been on the decline for a decade largely fallen out of favor, and beer was really loving huge and growing circa ~2011 - 2019 with big microbeer and bespoke scenes popping up nation-wide; however, covid really did a number on it and feels like it's rapidly regressing, consolidating, and falling out. spirits felt like they gained a bit of popularity around 2017 but otherwise were relatively constant. it would make sense they would (and did) rise a lot during covid

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

huh, kinda surprised by this since it this does not match at all my experience the past 15+ years. I feel like wine's been on the decline for a decade largely fallen out of favor, and beer was really loving huge and growing circa ~2011 - 2019 with big microbeer and bespoke scenes popping up nation-wide; however, covid really did a number on it and feels like it's rapidly regressing, consolidating, and falling out. spirits felt like they gained a bit of popularity around 2017 but otherwise were relatively constant. it would make sense they would (and did) rise a lot during covid

I mean, are those spirits drunken in company? Would you see this?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Zantie posted:

Direct link to the calculator here: https://partnersplatform.who.int/tools/aria/calculator

I feel like this got missed by a lot of people so I'm adding someone else's summary. I actually find it encouraging as it means they're only using airborne transmission for their calculator.

https://twitter.com/_CatintheHat/status/1773676758882988331

edit: the link below should send you to a non-Twitter page with the whole thing laid out

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1773676758882988331.html

Weren't there a slew of OSHA regulations and perks for workers that were supposed to happen if COVID was acknowledged as an airborne workplace risk? I seem to recall the thread way back when saying that was one of the primary reasons that no matter what ever happened, the CDC would never admit COVID was airborne?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Weren't there a slew of OSHA regulations and perks for workers that were supposed to happen if COVID was acknowledged as an airborne workplace risk? I seem to recall the thread way back when saying that was one of the primary reasons that no matter what ever happened, the CDC would never admit COVID was airborne?

I vaguely recall that this was why the mask mandate dropped as abruptly as it did

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DickParasite posted:

I don't think I like the formatting on this graph lol. Like it's the same unit of measurement, gallons per capita, but the scale is different on the two sides, with the left being a 1.4 range and the right being a 0.7 range. It makes the year over year difference in total ethanol consumption seem swingier than it ought to. It's also strange cause it seems like by only including wine, spirits, and beer on the left, they're excluding about half of the total consumed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

posted from deep within our years-long lockdown on July 21, 2021

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

I was trying to explain to a friend last night how the mask guidelines from OSHA and the CDC guidance were in conflict, and how the CDC guideline to not wear masks were released at the perfect time to gently caress over the OSHA draft guidelines. This was all based on some excellent posts earlier by DarkEuphoria and Lansdowne at the end of June, but I couldn’t find the posts and the info wasn’t really organized in my head. I went ahead and found the posts today, and spliced them together in time to more easily explain how things went down starting at the end of April. I thought this would be useful to have for a quick link, and if you haven’t seen their posts I would definitely go and read them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3926175&pagenumber=6162&perpage=40#post515845869
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3926175&pagenumber=6166&perpage=40#post515856329
All credit for this goes to them, I just wanted to organize it temporally, and it is kind of funny to go back and re-read this thread to see how the pessimistic posts usually wind up being the accurate ones.

April 26
OMB’s OIRA receives updated OSHA ETS (Emergency Temporary Standard – emergency regulations for workers) draft. OMB review expected to end May 10th. [DarkEuphoria, Politico]. This draft includes “grave danger” language and protections for all workers [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]. Note that this draft is created and reported on, but not made public.

April 29
Industry groups being weighing in on OSHA rules. At least 9 meetings scheduled through May 5th [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

May 7
Talks with industry groups (and OMB-OIRA deadline) extended until May 13th. Narrative of OSHA being slow, vaccinations making regulation unnecessary begins to show up [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

May 10
Minutes from OMB-OIRA meetings include letter from May 3 from Senators Marshall (R-KS), Burr (R-NC), and Scott (R-SC) discussing how additional regulations are not needed, and that OSHA should follow latest CDC guidance, and anyways it is too late for a new ETS to help (lol). [DarkEuphoria,Letter]

May 11
More manufacturing consent with color commentary:

May 13
CDC goes mask off. More letters from the OMB-OIRA agenda show dental industry groups fighting against masks [DarkEuphoria].

May 14
Almost immediately, articles start coming out showing the conflict between OSHA rules and CDC guidelines [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]. Also, the OMB-OIRA review still isn’t done.

May 17
OSHA says to follow CDC guidelines until further review is finished [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

May 20
Major pushback on OSHA’s ability to regulate since they must prove Covid is a “grave danger” and give “due regards” to CDC recommendations [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]. Doubts starting to appear publicly that a standard will come at all.

May 24
Letter from Republican members of House Committee on Education and Labor send a letter stating that CDC says covid is over so OSHA can’t issue ETS [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]

May 26
OMB-OIRA deadline pushed back to May 28th; pushback on rules continues from lobbyists. Threats of lawsuits if OSHA requires anything significant [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

June 10
OSHA rules finally released. We are also finally told that OSHA emergency rules don’t require “public input” at all, but in fact the “White House regulatory office chose to solicit opinion from a wide range of advocacy groups.” It also includes a 900-page preamble justifying why “grave danger” is only for healthcare workers [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

June 28
Draft from April released allowing us to see what was in the original proposal, and that it covered all workers and not just healthcare [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Strep Vote posted:

... good luck to him and your family. 😬

thanks, his kids deserve better than what society gave them. My sister is strong but this is tearing her up.

they went hard open Biden, but I don't blame them. They are non goon and being the weirdo was never going to be in their cards/makeup.

it's just another anecdote in a sea of stupidity sad anecdotes

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Old post, but allow me to quote Minnesota’s premiere epidemiologist on this exact topic, because we will all be hearing about it for the rest of our natural lives.

quote:

In the United States. 40 different states enacted some type of stay at home orders in March of 2020. If you look at those 40, within eight weeks, all of them were basically lifted. More importantly, many of them were basically screen doors on a submarine in terms of what they accomplished. In Minnesota, for example, the governor had in place a stay at home order except for essential workers, but 82% of our workforce was defined as essential workers. We never really had a lockdown here. There may be individual companies or organizations that decided not to have activities or be open, but it wasn't forced on it. And remember, the pandemic lasted more than three years. In that sense, this was 6 to 8 weeks at the beginning of the pandemic, when at that point, fewer than 5% of all the cases had occurred. So we get into these debates about lockdowns and what happened. This is just an emotional issue. There was never really any activity that was a lockdown as far as I'm concerned, in this country.

They’ve successfully redefined “lockdown” to “I saw a mask” and it’s maddening.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oracle posted:

I vaguely recall that this was why the mask mandate dropped as abruptly as it did

There were/are parts of the CDC that never stopped saying COVID was airborne. I thought the abrupt dropping of masks in May of 2021 to knee-cap OSHA was because "vaccines work" and completely ignored the data coming out of S'pore showing double-vaccinated people (with Pfizer no less) were actively spreading Delta around to each other.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
It was always about the rich staying rich and/or in power. Up here in Alberta, our piece of poo poo premier forced the prov to open up for summer - right before the huge Calgary Stampede in July 2021. He partially admitted that it was too early (after the fact), and that they didn't know it would explode again at the end of summer (they did, and so did anyone covid cautious).

The lockdowns threatened all the profit they were making from the businesses and properties they own, and also showed that the population could (mostly) rally around a single event/threat. That is a huge threat to their power. So the misinfo/propaganda campaign went full swing, and here we are hoping things miraculously improve, while knowing that won't be possible unless things/bad decisions are admitted to. I have a feeling we're already seeing the religious factor play a part more than usual with Trump specifically supporting evangelicals/catholics/christians, and saying anyone without those religions aren't welcome in the US (and will be turned away).

I like to hope that all it'll take to turn this around is 1 or a few social influencers/cult leaders to rally the population around a goal (or doing something to make the people at the top not feel as safe, which could be a small team of twitch streamers, or something much bigger that we can't talk about). Being in the age of social media, the ability for anyone to do this exists.

Maybe I'm all hosed up, and making things too simple, but the above helps me make some sense of whats happening in this garbage world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mawarannahr posted:

this mf
Remarks by President Biden at a Campaign Event | New York, NY | The White House

quote:

One million people dead. Didn’t have to be that high. Didn’t have to be that.

If I were that rear end in a top hat, I would not remind people of the number “one million”.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1319446692236791814

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

If I were that rear end in a top hat, I would not remind people of the number “one million”.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1319446692236791814

"You think I owe you 600 more? I gave you another 600,000!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
my brother just tested positive for the fifth time

Apr 7, 2003

Joementum posted:

If he weren't testing, he wouldn't be testing positive for the fifth time.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

Imagine how much immunity he's built up by now

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

these mfs...
Why school absences have ‘exploded’ almost everywhere

nytimes.com - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 posted:

In the four years since the pandemic closed schools, U.S. education has struggled to recover on a number of fronts, from learning loss, to enrollment, to student behavior.

But perhaps no issue has been as stubborn and pervasive as a sharp increase in student absenteeism, a problem that cuts across demographics and has continued long after schools reopened.
The habit of daily attendance — and many families’ trust — was severed when schools shuttered in spring 2020. Even after schools reopened, things hardly snapped back to normal. Districts offered remote options, required COVID-19 quarantines and relaxed policies around attendance and grading.

Across the country, students are staying home when sick, not only with COVID-19, but also with more routine colds and viruses.

And more students are struggling with their mental health, one reason for increased absenteeism in Mason, Ohio, an affluent suburb of Cincinnati, said Tracey Carson, a district spokesperson. Because many parents can work remotely, their children can also stay home.

After working at a nursing home during the pandemic, and later losing her sister to COVID-19, she said, there were days she found it difficult to get out of bed. Murff was also more willing to keep her children home when they were sick, for fear of accidentally spreading the virus.

After a visit from her school district, and starting therapy herself, she has settled into a new routine. She helps her sons, 6 and 12, set out their outfits at night and she wakes up at 6 a.m. to ensure they get on the bus. If they are sick, she said, she knows to call the absence into school. “I’ve done a huge turnaround in my life,” she said.

But bringing about meaningful change for large numbers of students remains slow, difficult work.

The Ypsilanti school district has tried a bit of everything, said the superintendent, Alena Zachery-Ross. In addition to door knocks, officials are looking for ways to make school more appealing for the district’s 3,800 students, including more than 80% who qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. They held themed dress-up days — ’70s day, pajama day — and gave away warm clothes after noticing a dip in attendance during winter months.

“We wondered, is it because you don’t have a coat, you don’t have boots?” Zachery-Ross said.

Still, absenteeism overall remains higher than it was before the pandemic. “We haven’t seen an answer,” she said.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The answer is kids are working instead of going to school. They got used to that high hog living of ‘not poverty’ with the child tax refunds and when Republicans in Congress allowed it to expire they saw those 18/hr burger flipping jobs and decided ‘yeah school is a waste of time if I do this three days a week my mom can stop working so many hours/I can buy that phone/those shoes/help pay the crazy high rent.’ This is especially hitting the immigrant kids hard. They aren’t staying home more because it’s cold but because retail is hiring for the holidays and it’s more money for Christmas. Working late means sleeping in and skipping school.
At least that’s how it’s going for high schoolers in this neck of the woods. Employers aren’t supposed to hire school age kids but at 16 they can’t make you go anymore and they will happily nod along to ‘I’m a community college student.’

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Young children are facing an epidemic of vision loss, experts say. What's behind the surge in myopia?

quote:

What causes myopia, and why are cases surging now?

For years, scientists thought genetics alone dictated whether one developed myopia. Now, the debate has been muddied — one's environment clearly made an impact, given the rise in recent cases, but the exact factors weren't clear, Wong explained.

The consensus now is that exposure to natural sunlight likely plays a big role, he said. Studies suggest certain wavelengths of natural sunlight can stimulate dopamine release inside the organ, potentially protecting against nearsightedness as the eyes develop.

"As more and more people are becoming educated, their kids are (spending more time) indoors reading, and not being into outside play as much," he said. This was intensified during the pandemic lockdowns, when kids were kept away from sunlight at a time when they needed it most, Wong continued.

"The recommendation is kids really should be getting a certain amount of light, about 90 minutes to 120 minutes of light a day outdoors," he continued.

Jones noted this issue is compounded by our collective screen addictions — bad enough for adult eyes, but far worse for those still growing.

"There's this dependency on digital devices for entertainment. Kids have iPads, they have cellphones … and everything's being watched up close," she said. "So our big recommendations are to limit non-academic screen time and to go spend more time outside."

Kawawada said she felt "dismayed" when her daughter Penelope, now 14 (the Star is identifying both by their middle names for privacy reasons), was diagnosed as myopic near the start of the pandemic. Her youngest, Lillian, now 11, following suit a couple of years later.

"I have been trying to ensure that they got a lot of outdoor time, and I was trying to limit their screen time and stuff," Kawawada, who works in communications for the University of Waterloo, said. But it was difficult when both grew to be "bookworms" like their mother, and especially during the pandemic when they were "shut up in the house with nothing to do but stare at a screen.

"I'm sure that's where the problems started," she said.

Wasn't someone compiling a list of all the health problems caused by lockdowns? Well anyway now that the pandemic is behind us surely people should be healthy than ever?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Joementum posted:

does he take pax every time or does he just tank it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New antiviral just dropped:

Drug rep swag

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Myopia? In America??

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Myopia? In America??

yeah sorry I don’t see it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Soap Scum posted:

does he take pax every time or does he just tank it

he took pax a couple of the times, but for the others he's had very light symptoms or none at all and hasn't

he works in entertainment and has to test multiple times a week which is why this has happened

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Young children are facing an epidemic of vision loss, experts say. What's behind the surge in myopia?

Wasn't someone compiling a list of all the health problems caused by lockdowns? Well anyway now that the pandemic is behind us surely people should be healthy than ever?

when kids were kept away from sunlight?

the covid lockdown oubliette strikes again

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Joementum posted:

he took pax a couple of the times, but for the others he's had very light symptoms or none at all and hasn't

he works in entertainment and has to test multiple times a week which is why this has happened

ouch. well, i guess good that he probably gets early detection in most cases. hope he does alright this time :')

i wonder what the average # of confirmed cases for mandatory testers vs. for non-mandatory testers is

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

when kids were kept away from sunlight?

the covid lockdown oubliette strikes again

we are going to be hearing about lockdowns until the end of days

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

quote:

Murff was also more willing to keep her children home when they were sick, for fear of accidentally spreading the virus.

After a visit from her school district, and starting therapy herself, she has settled into a new routine.

quote:

"As more and more people are becoming educated, their kids are (spending more time) indoors reading, and not being into outside play as much," he said. This was intensified during the pandemic lockdowns, when kids were kept away from sunlight at a time when they needed it most, Wong continued.

lmao I hate everything

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-19-leaves-its-mark-on-the-brain-significant-drops-in-iq-scores-are

quote:

To put the finding of the New England Journal of Medicine study into perspective, I estimate that a three-point downward shift in IQ would increase the number of U.S. adults with an IQ less than 70 from 4.7 million to 7.5 million – an increase of 2.8 million adults with a level of cognitive impairment that requires significant societal support.

I started learning the piano a few months ago, mostly as a hobby since I no longer go anywhere. Now it might be part of my "survive covid" habit building, since learning an instrument can improve your IQ.

So far "open Biden" has gifted me with my first ever regular cardio habit as I strive to minimize my chances of long COVID. Maybe that same stressor can gift me a piano habit.

Anyone else have min/max strategies they've adopted beyond mouthwash/boosters/masking?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
"kept away from sunlight" is going to stick with me lol don't use Dr. John Dies At The End for vision care

Apr 7, 2003

The Canadian government forced parents to keep their children in literal closets for years, very sad

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Emergency dental appointment is going to get me. I went to the same practice two years ago, dentist wore a PAPR, all the hygienists wore a surgical over an N95. Went back today, apparently that dentist left and a new dentist started <2 years ago. Everyone is in baggy surgical masks on their chins, pulled up only when breathing directly into a patient’s mouth.

I asked the dentist to pull his up because my dad just got out of surgery (true). He was like omg yes of course, and did. Literally 10 seconds later it must have been uncomfortable, because he pulled it back to his chin, and there it stayed, including for drilling, polishing, etc. This is insane for a dentist regardless of transmissible diseases.

Praying to Xlear now since I failed my respirator

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is your reminder that dentists didn’t wear gloves till HIV showed up, and many were fiercely resistant even then.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
everyone addicted to their screens so nobody go a out…that’s a lockdown

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1774852620084969752

:getin:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

haven't there been plenty of cases of animal-human transmission?

we just haven't seen human-human transmission?

call me when the cdc tells me to stay 6 feet away from ranchers. then i'll know we're fuckin' toast

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Need at least twenty‐five of these for BINGO cards.

1. Wash your hands.
  2. There’s no clear evidence of human‐to‐human transmission.
  3. We have vaccines.
  4. We have antivirals.
  5. You, the reader, are too healthy for pharmaceutical intervention.
  6. It’s not airborne.
  7. The highest‐quality evidence is that masks do not work.
  8. We need to save masks for healthcare workers.
  9. Masks may cause risk‐compenstion.
  10. Don’t touch your face.
  11. This is the good influenza, the one that you want to get.
  12. This is a consequence of immune debt.
  13. This is a consequence of lockdowns.
  14. Most people make a full recovery.
  15. Worried about literally the flu? But COVID‑19 is worse!
  16. Long flu is just another post‐viral condition.
  17. The ultimate fate of all viruses is to become endemic and mild. It happened in 1889 and in 1918.
  18. Coordinate with local health authorities to do your laundry.
  19. You can stop isolating if symptoms are improving.
  20. You’re immune. Act immune.
  21. Those least at risk to H5N1 are behaving the most risk‐averse. Curious.
  22. By H5N1 or with H5N1?
  23. Maybe the patient just had virions in the nose.
  24. The first patient was gay, so it’s critical that CDC immediately update all Alegria art to be gayer.
  25. CDC is investigating possible connexion to dogs.
  26. There is no evidence that H5N1 spread in airplanes.
  27. Most cases of influenza are contracted at home. For their safety, people should eat at local chain restaurants.
  28. CDC is concerned about homemade air purifiers.
  29. CDC is concerned that you are not trained or medically cleared to wear a respirator. Exceptions are only for wildfire smoke, remediating flood damage, and cleaning up raccoon latrines.
  30. Surgeon general raises “pandemic of loneliness”.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 19:10 on Apr 1, 2024

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Infected ranchers are encouraged to try to avoid the immunocompromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

nah dog, you want H5N1 now, before the hospitals get full