Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Simply build an additional sacrificial bridge on either side of the real bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What we need is a SPACE bridge to transport energon back to Cybertron

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

did they fix the bridge yet

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

GolfHole posted:

did they fix the bridge yet

People always forget to spay and neuter their bridges

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont think its any of governments business to be building bridges, i think anyone who wants to get from one side of the bay to the other should take the responsibility to build their own individual bridge and handle its upkeep. maybe a bridge could be shared between family members but thats about it. or perhaps companies like mcdonalds and starbucks on opposing banks could build bridges that their customers are allowed to use if they show a proof of purchase. by 2030 we could be arguing over whether to take the dunkin donuts bridge or the pizza hut bridge because dunkin donuts is notoriously behind on their upkeep and the bridge is unsafe but it still comes with a free box of munchkins when you get to the other side

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 30, 2024

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

the free market will build the bridge

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Enough of the fake solutions, real plans are finally here

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Elon Musk really is the stupidest man alive.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does it have to take 10 years though?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
It won't take 10 years. It'll be rebuilt in 18 to 36 months.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm predicting there will be something visible to news cameras by late October. Pushing the repair through as fast as is safe would be a huge campaign issue for Biden. Alternatively, the House GOP blocks any federal funding and he campaigns on that.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

biznatchio posted:

That and I’m sure they’ll establish a ferry for appearances alone

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

biznatchio posted:

Elon Musk really is the stupidest man alive.

Much like the trapped Thailand soccer team, Elon should send his own bridge solution and then call someone a pedo. It clearly works for him.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Vegetable posted:

It's a huge project. There's a lot of corruption they've got to get through.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Medullah posted:

What we need is a SPACE bridge to transport energon back to Cybertron

Please, Shockwave can’t guard poo poo.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Time_pants posted:

It's a huge project. There's a lot of corruption they've got to get through.

A project like this one, which will have lots of eyes on it all the way up to the feds, isn't likely to get mired in corruption. It's the less-closely-watched state and local public works projects that usually get milked.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Either someone skims tens of millions off this project or millions gets spent in oversight man-hours to make sure they don't. Just gotta find that sweet spot where you spend enough to stop enough of the stealing to make it a net gain.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

frumpykvetchbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ9lhqqxpo0

this guy bridges

and if he's right, Mayland DOT is at least partially culpable for being neglectful in not installing barrier protections for such infrastructure. Was it ineptitude or a dysfunctional state or city government unable to secure funding, or did they not even have commissioned studies done for such upgrades? Surely a fading empire if true.

this video would be a lot better if he didn't spent 75% of it reading wikipedia articles to the viewers

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

biznatchio posted:

No way in hell 18. It's going to take a few months just to get the old bridge cleaned up. Whatever type of bridge they go with, the big structural elements aren't just sitting on a shelf somewhere.

3 years is plausible, but I'd still bet the over.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
You know those salmon cannons that launch fish upstream over dams? That, but for boats

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Kevyn posted:

You know those salmon cannons that launch fish upstream over dams? That, but for boats

T shirt cannons firing fish into the audience

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah. Paint the picture of a long gone used to be local beer company on the side and let it rip

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

ZeusCannon posted:

gently caress yeah. Paint the picture of a long gone used to be local beer company on the side and let it rip

Does Reckless Ric's still exist in glen burnie

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

500excf type r posted:

Does Reckless Ric's still exist in glen burnie

If you are talking about reckless Rick’s in point pleasant it’s some rams head dockside crap now

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Klyith posted:

No way in hell 18. It's going to take a few months just to get the old bridge cleaned up. Whatever type of bridge they go with, the big structural elements aren't just sitting on a shelf somewhere.

3 years is plausible, but I'd still bet the over.

My money would be on 3-5 but I think with all of the public attention, it's gonna be a priority for the government to make sure bidding is quick, design has an aggressive timeline, etc, so might be closer to 3 than 5

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Sentient Data posted:

Enough of the fake solutions, real plans are finally here

Early AND safe?

gently caress, he is so loving stupid...

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
this is an immensely ignorant question, but does the type of bridge affect the time it would take to rebuild?

could they build a suspension bridge so this doesn't happen again without construction taking more time than replacing the truss bridge?

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Vegetable posted:

It originally took 5 years, so with inflation, I put it around 18.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vampire Panties posted:

this is an immensely ignorant question, but does the type of bridge affect the time it would take to rebuild?

could they build a suspension bridge so this doesn't happen again without construction taking more time than replacing the truss bridge?

no infrastructure of any meaningful size has been built or maintained in the area for generations so the idea it can be done at all is purely speculative tbh

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 31, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

no infrastructure of any meaningful size has been built or maintained in the area for the better part of a century so the idea it can be done at all is purely speculative tbh

On that note, is there any reason to rebuild the bridge at all? IIRC there's other hazmat corridors available that they're adding lanes to?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

Seems like it would be cheaper if they avoid having pylons in the water but not sure if that’s possible at this crossing.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
gently caress the bridge, bridges are lame, how long will it take to rebuild the ship? Ships are great.

Edit: replace bridge with some ships!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Replace the bridge with so many ferries that cars can just drive across, and when it's a ship's turn to go through you can just have the ferries in the way put up their gates and move aside

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vampire Panties posted:

On that note, is there any reason to rebuild the bridge at all? IIRC there's other hazmat corridors available that they're adding lanes to?

I suppose it depends on how committed you are to having a major seaport there, and not routing that poo poo through an extra hour or two of residential neighborhoods

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

biznatchio posted:

A project like this one, which will have lots of eyes on it all the way up to the feds, isn't likely to get mired in corruption. It's the less-closely-watched state and local public works projects that usually get milked.

Remind me how long it took to replace the World Trade Center.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the thing the bridge is costing rich people (and everyone else ofc) money every second it's not completed so there is more of an impetus to get it done than the wtc which was just 'yea we could build another thing here i guess'

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The ship has clearly proven itself to be higher in the food chain.

I would not bet on bridges in the future.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Bridge, more like bitch

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah the WTC holdup was as much as anything else just waiting for things to blow over and it to become politically viable to build something profitable in the most expensive part of Manhattan again instead of some big creepy war church

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vampire Panties posted:

Dunno, but probably? Cable-stayed bridges have been pretty overwhelmingly popular in the last few decades. They're faster and cheaper to build. So my bet is the new bridge will be one of those.

Cantilever-truss type bridges like the Key Bridge were big in the 50s-70s, probably because steel was cheaper then. (Possibly they were also better for military use? Tons of them were made during the Interstate Act era, when a requirement was "a platoon of tanks rolls across your bridge." Cantilever bridges are more rigid than suspension bridges.)

e:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah the WTC holdup was as much as anything else just waiting for things to blow over and it to become politically viable to build something profitable in the most expensive part of Manhattan again instead of some big creepy war church

also a giant stupid legal fight over who got the insurance money, the port authority or the developer who had the overall lease