Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Salt Fish posted:

I love this threads perfectly even split between people who hate cars because they hate everything and people who hate cars because they love bicycling.

I hate cars because cars are awful and trains, bicycling, and walking are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

bikes are fail and those clowns are next after cars are illegal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mystes posted:

por que no los dos

porque you can't love bikes and also hate everything

Don't make me draw a Venn diagram

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

How would you be getting two gears? Hub with integrated gears? Flip‐flop hub? Yeah sure.

like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEc91AHs63k

mystes
May 31, 2006

For a while I was commuting on a single speed bike I converted to a 3 speed igh with a bar end shifter and it was neat

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Microplastics posted:

you can't love bikes and also hate everything

maybe you cant

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

A vehicle being unsafe to drive because it's too slow is the stupidest loving idea. If a bicycle is on a highway, the problem isn't the bicycle, it's everyone else! What it really means is that we'd much rather lock people out of certain stretches of road, rather than asking everyone else to tap their brakes once in a while. It's an elevation of car-havers to their own privileged position within society, at the expense of everyone else.
roads should be speed segregated, it's the only potentially (if licensed drivers were adequately trained, which is the main problem besides "cars" ) safe way to have high speed traffic with stuff like semis and not have constant deaths
mixed traffic for cities etc. should be limited to the speed of the slowest vehicles allowed/present on the road

bicycles have no place on a full speed freeway, they're just not able to reposition themselves fast enough they'd essentially be stationary obstacles with terrible visibility, it'd be like letting pedestrians on it, freeways are too hostile to life

a cyclist on a freeway would be super vulnerable to stuff falling off vehicles or getting kicked up by tires, wind buffeting, no way to really evade stuff like trailers losing tires, let alone being around any kind of vehicle loss of control situations

motorcycles shouldn't even be on the freeway with cars really, but they've got the mobility to position themselves relative to other traffic safely and can spread out from clustered vehicles and can maintain pace to avoid traffic zooming by, that's the safety gained from having speed/acceleration - someone on a bicycle on a freeway is placing their safety entirely in the hands of the traffic around them and that's just suicidal imo even if everyone's responsible there's just no way to make it safe

also from a strictly throughput standpoint traffic on a saturated road functions just like a fluid (watch in your rear view mirror as you start/stop next time you're in a traffic jam, you can see each tap of the brakes propagating behind you through hundreds of cars one after the next) and if you think of it like something pouring into something else you don't wanna have random spots that can't flow as fast or it'll create a bunch of bottlenecks emitting turbulent waves that crash into each other and create artificial bottlenecks from self-interference which is what traffic jams are - in other words even one much slower vehicle on a busy road that's not even doing anything wrong can have effects that stretch out for dozens of miles bc the speed differential alone is the problem

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Mar 31, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

shoutout to the people who ride the electric rental scooters on highway shoulders

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Bicycles are awesome just from a turning movement into work perspective if nothing else. It’s pretty loving cool that a mechanical device with no motor will increase a human’s max speed like 3x and comfortable moving speed like 5x.
Bicycles are incredibly elegant and efficient machines. Bike wheels even moreso.

http://caravan.hobby.ru/materiel/Bicycle_Wheel_-_Jobst_Brandt.pdf

You think the bike hub hangs from the top spokes? Well it doesn’t, you absolute moron

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

cat botherer posted:

Bicycles are incredibly elegant and efficient machines. Bike wheels even moreso.

http://caravan.hobby.ru/materiel/Bicycle_Wheel_-_Jobst_Brandt.pdf

You think the bike hub hangs from the top spokes? Well it doesn’t, you absolute moron

Do you think you just dangle from the heavens???

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

500excf type r posted:

dangle from the heavens

thats what she called it

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I hate cars because they are stinky dangerous and loud. I like walking and I think bikes are neat but dont ride myself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Bicycles are awesome just from a turning movement into work perspective if nothing else. It’s pretty loving cool that a mechanical device with no motor will increase a human’s max speed like 3x and comfortable moving speed like 5x.

There's a quote about how bicycles are one of the few things left in contemporary life that lets you feel like you're operating a contraption, when everything else is a gadget or a gizmo.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

^Very cool that cars know 100% they're being driven dangerously and then... they just let it happen.

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a quote about how bicycles are one of the few things left in contemporary life that lets you feel like you're operating a contraption, when everything else is a gadget or a gizmo.

Yeah, there's so many cool concepts that are presented right in front of you in very understandable ways, and not hidden under a hood, cowling, whatever. I love explaining gearing ratios by showing the movement of the teeth between cassette and chainrings is always synced due to the chain, but the size of the cog determines how many revolutions the wheel will to make per crank revolution so that the number of teeth utilized is the same. And everybody kinda "gets" shifting, you click the thingy and it changes gears, but directly pulling the cable right before it enters the derailleur has people understanding you're adding and removing tension and the parallelogram keeps the pulleys in-line. Then you've got counter-steering, rolling resistance/hystersis losses, aerodynamic drag, even the diamond frame is very self explanatory when you start thinking about the forces that act on a bike. Bikes are cool :cool:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

FirstnameLastname posted:

roads should be speed segregated, it's the only potentially (if licensed drivers were adequately trained, which is the main problem besides "cars" ) safe way to have high speed traffic with stuff like semis and not have constant deaths
mixed traffic for cities etc. should be limited to the speed of the slowest vehicles allowed/present on the road

bicycles have no place on a full speed freeway, they're just not able to reposition themselves fast enough they'd essentially be stationary obstacles with terrible visibility, it'd be like letting pedestrians on it, freeways are too hostile to life

a cyclist on a freeway would be super vulnerable to stuff falling off vehicles or getting kicked up by tires, wind buffeting, no way to really evade stuff like trailers losing tires, let alone being around any kind of vehicle loss of control situations

motorcycles shouldn't even be on the freeway with cars really, but they've got the mobility to position themselves relative to other traffic safely and can spread out from clustered vehicles and can maintain pace to avoid traffic zooming by, that's the safety gained from having speed/acceleration - someone on a bicycle on a freeway is placing their safety entirely in the hands of the traffic around them and that's just suicidal imo even if everyone's responsible there's just no way to make it safe

also from a strictly throughput standpoint traffic on a saturated road functions just like a fluid (watch in your rear view mirror as you start/stop next time you're in a traffic jam, you can see each tap of the brakes propagating behind you through hundreds of cars one after the next) and if you think of it like something pouring into something else you don't wanna have random spots that can't flow as fast or it'll create a bunch of bottlenecks emitting turbulent waves that crash into each other and create artificial bottlenecks from self-interference which is what traffic jams are - in other words even one much slower vehicle on a busy road that's not even doing anything wrong can have effects that stretch out for dozens of miles bc the speed differential alone is the problem

i agree abolish all motor vehicles op

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I hate cars because roads, highways, and parking lots are giant eyesores and hostile to people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Very carefully.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Very carefully.

what are you listening to?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Very carefully.

it's a one way road, which is how they design racetracks anyways

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
cars and other ICE vehicles are very loud and its kind of upsetting

edit: and lmfao at the "sound of the heavens" thing that electric vehicles make, that's somehow even worse

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The natural whine of the motor and inverter is fine.

The racket that they pump through the sound system for “pedestrian safety” but also to impress buyers is not fine.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I hate cars because cars are awful and trains, bicycling, and walking are good.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

aw frig aw dang it posted:

bikes are fail and those clowns are next after cars are illegal

Yep any day now.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's just bikes and firearms

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
feet or treads ONLY unless you need a wheelchair

e:

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 08:43 on Apr 1, 2024

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2024/03/25/salt-lake-city-man-intentionally/

This guy intentionally ran over six women over seven months even though the police had a license plate registered to the driver and description of the car after the first victim

quote:

Before the first crash, on Aug. 22, 2023, witnesses saw a white sedan with a license plate number registered to Pham pull up beside a 36-year-old woman. She shrugged off the vehicle and began to run away when the car “sped up and hit [her] causing her to fly over the vehicle and land on the ground hard,” charging documents state. The driver then sped away.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FirstnameLastname posted:

I think it is the freeways that should go, and not the people and vehicles deemed to slow to be on freeways

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Epic High Five posted:

It's just bikes and firearms

manual machining is fun. Like a Bridgeport with a trokey rotary table. you've got this spinning cutter and you move dials around to run the piece into the cutter in a precise way. you get to feel the vibrations through the handles. you can tell how sharp the cutter is. things like the speed and feeds go off of feel. the whole time you are trying to solve a puzzle. especially one offs. It's just an experience

cnc is lame to run. just upload some files and hit the go button

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They fixed the crosswalk button that I called a report in for! There's an entirely new, better kind of button on there. He is risen.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!
I hit every button when I cross so drivers have to wait longer

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/JimboPastoral/status/1774142340795359494

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Those car payments must really be cutting into the sunscreen budget.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

willingly signing myself up for a lifetime of debt and poor credit for an instantly depreciating money sink

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
3 or 4 of those payments = a decent car in most cases!

They could get a high-end bike every month!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
$78000 at 14% APR for a loving truck lmao also at the end "we don't even need either vehicle since we have an audi we paid off"

also the blue book value for that truck is about $48000

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 15:21 on Apr 1, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Boywhiz88 posted:

3 or 4 of those payments = a decent car in most cases!

They could get a high-end bike every month!

at just two payments they could get a Surly Big Easy

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ah, what says freedom quite like a lifetime of soul-crushing 14% APR debt for a highly depreciating asset.

She could probably get 3-5 years of transit passes in a functional city for what she pays in one month for those two cars.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!
If that’s for real, her husband (and her) will spend over $115k on payments alone for a used truck. Utterly deranged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
How many loving cars do these people need?