Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Bozja is, so far as I know, the only time we see Garlean lalafell.

We should've seen more Garlean lalafell, one should've been part of Gaius's squad.
What, is Wedge chopped liver? :v:

The Garlean enemy ranks had all playable races in 1.0 but they kind of simplified that for ARR. They still have lalafell-sized uniforms and the guards aren't immediately suspicious of the appearance of lalafell conscripts when you sneak into Castrum Centri so I can only assume they still number within their ranks off-camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Having Garleans be racist to lalafell probably cut against the high-level goal of never verbally acknowledging that lalafell are tiny and cute.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't think Misija is the worst war criminal we see but she might be one of the dumbest.

The Save the Queen story also just fundamentally has too much talking in it. The characters all read 20 pages of dialogue at each other, then send you to place a device on the edge of the map, come back and read 10 more pages of dialogue. It's. So. Boring. Maybe it's because it took me over two years to get through the story, but I have no idea where all the weird imperials who don't look or act like any other imperials came from. Can you imagine ARR Gaius and Nero giving their serious villain monologues while standing next to a greasy shirtless guy?

Not disputing any of your other points but I thought Menanaius' legion were known as the island of misfit toys, and that he was similar to Gaius in that he was clearly a war criminal but he naively viewed his actions as a necessary evil in order to empower himself enough to create a different, more inclusive empire for the people under his wing. iirc I think even the other legions regarded them as unorthodox weirdos, Menenaius' crew was the only place where a greasy shirtless 68-year-old Ala Mighan could gain a foothold and rise up the ranks

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
As an aside: it's interesting the way we use terms like "war criminal" despite this being a reasonably modern and somewhat technical term - I mean it's totally clear what you mean and I agree. I'm just wondering what the common term you might use for "someone who conducts war with no regard for the sanctity of life, only results" before 1850 or so.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I'm thinking specifically of Dabog, who was memory wiped and cloned (or uh melded with machines?) and forced to fight his former comrades for the IVth legion as a horrifying metaphysical slave. this all happened years before Misija under Menenaius' supervision

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I actually though it was Noah's legion but I can't remember the details.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

lines posted:

As an aside: it's interesting the way we use terms like "war criminal" despite this being a reasonably modern and somewhat technical term - I mean it's totally clear what you mean and I agree. I'm just wondering what the common term you might use for "someone who conducts war with no regard for the sanctity of life, only results" before 1850 or so.

Emperor, King and all feudal ranks below that :shrug:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

oh, yeah you're right I had completely melded the characters of Noah Gabranth and Menenius in my memory. whoops! it's hard to keep track of everyone when a lot of their development happens in collectable notes.

So yeah, I would've said Noah was a war criminal but now I'm reading that Sicinius deceived him when he hypertuned Dabog so idk, it's pretty messy. in any case, I shouldn't be so quick to throw around such a loaded term wrt a fantasy game

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
iirc, part of the reason there aren't very many Garlean lalas is that lalas are native to Eorzea, which hasn't been conquered by the empire. You can't have a bunch of conscripts from a place that hasn't been conquered. So they only have a hand full of lalas that moved or grew up outside of Eorzea for some reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

You're not wrong but you are being way weirder about this than they are about Misija.
no every time people in this thread jack off and scream about how much they want to kill video game characters its genuinely uncomfortable and would ideally be bannable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like its one thing to talk about wanting to beat up zenos some more or w/e but its another thing to scream in bold text and caps about how much you want to kill some rando sidequest villain most players only half remember the name of. get help

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Endorph posted:

like its one thing to talk about wanting to beat up zenos some more or w/e but its another thing to scream in bold text and caps about how much you want to kill some rando sidequest villain most players only half remember the name of. get help
I only brought that up because it's really, really weird that it plays out that way. It'd be one thing if both choices played out the same way, or if there wasn't a choice at all. But as-is...it reminds me of how Unukalhai went behind everyone's backs to secretly kill off the Tempered being stored in Azys Lla in a misguided attempt at keeping the Scions' hands clean, only to be told off for it because they don't need that kind of "protection," but from a writer instead of an in-universe character. Like, I don't care what happened to her, it's just that particular bit of writing that bugs me to no end.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 31, 2024

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Funky Valentine posted:

Bozja is, so far as I know, the only time we see Garlean lalafell.

We should've seen more Garlean lalafell, one should've been part of Gaius's squad.

Lalafells don't need to be Garlean to be evil war criminals

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

and then there's the weird scene with Gabranth at the end where he says he's run out of time because some unspecified something has caught up with him, and then he never appears again

do fantasy Nazis go to fantasy South America to hide?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Windcaller and a Bindi? Good taste. I kinda wish my bindi wasn't completely covered by the bandana.

Usually I don't go for much in the way of makeup on my characters, so I've been channeling my frustration with Viera hats into exploring that while I am one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

God Hole posted:

oh, yeah you're right I had completely melded the characters of Noah Gabranth and Menenius in my memory. whoops! it's hard to keep track of everyone when a lot of their development happens in collectable notes.

So yeah, I would've said Noah was a war criminal but now I'm reading that Sicinius deceived him when he hypertuned Dabog so idk, it's pretty messy. in any case, I shouldn't be so quick to throw around such a loaded term wrt a fantasy game

The messiness is one of the things I love about Bozja. They had all that space of Notes and Fates to explore different characters and they used it. I even like Misija as an antagonist, but I think how it was resolved dropped the ball in a way that spoils the taste of the rest of it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was delighted at having another femroe npc to talk to and then all the other stuff happened

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

FuturePastNow posted:

and then there's the weird scene with Gabranth at the end where he says he's run out of time because some unspecified something has caught up with him, and then he never appears again

do fantasy Nazis go to fantasy South America to hide?
The real ending is actually in those notes that get dumped on you after you beat the Dalriada - IIRC Noah had a terminal illness and had Lyon arrange his death, and the whole war was to act as an enemy to let Bozja unite against them and become a proper state or something??? This is another reason why I loathe Misija, because if you'd cut her out of the plot entirely, replaced Delubrum Reginae with the Dalriada, and replaced Zadnor with Rabanastre maybe you could have had that happen on screen instead of in a textdump! The whole thing is so frustrating. Poor writing decisions all around - seriously, why waste precious screen time on Mikoto hemming and hawing over letting herself die instead of the actual plot?

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 31, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

YggiDee posted:

I was delighted at having another femroe npc to talk to and then all the other stuff happened

and they give her primal form a custom model that looks like an elezen body with a roe head, it doesn't look right at all

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Jetrauben posted:

Hell, she jacks Mikoto's Echo in a process highly implied to be very, very spiritually invasive and possibly having a significant cost in lives.

I don't have a dog in this ridiculous race but it's worth noting that nero says he wants to yoink wol's echo in his praetorium speech

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't have a dog in this ridiculous race but it's worth noting that nero says he wants to yoink wol's echo in his praetorium speech

Did he explicitly state that he wanted to extract it? Or just that they wanted to study and replicate it?
I mean, yeah, the latter probably involves the former, but I didn't think that Nero outright said he wanted to stick the Echo vacuum on us.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

the_steve posted:

Did he explicitly state that he wanted to extract it? Or just that they wanted to study and replicate it?
I mean, yeah, the latter probably involves the former, but I didn't think that Nero outright said he wanted to stick the Echo vacuum on us.
speaking in terms of when they came up with the idea of the resonant, it probably wasn't anything more than a vague idea in someone's head back then, if it existed at all. but what the writers knew isn't the same thing as examining what characters say from an in-universe perspective, and on that account it's unlikely that nero means anything but the existing in-development procedure to copy echoes

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
When the mad scientist archetype took up his power armor and death hammer to make a six minute speech about his intent to continue working for the world conquering genocidal empire and that murdering me was a great career move while directly blocking my path to oppose the WMD he helped make operational, well, I knew one day he'd be a really cute and funny fanon gay ship.

Hmm, this made me wonder if there are unironic Valens defenders and I don't think I have the courage to blind search it to find out.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I'm still on board with Jessie Cox's theory that Nero will be the end game villain eventually.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doomykins posted:

When the mad scientist archetype took up his power armor and death hammer to make a six minute speech about his intent to continue working for the world conquering genocidal empire and that murdering me was a great career move while directly blocking my path to oppose the WMD he helped make operational, well, I knew one day he'd be a really cute and funny fanon gay ship.

Hmm, this made me wonder if there are unironic Valens defenders and I don't think I have the courage to blind search it to find out.

i legit dont remember, did Valens actually have like, a (badly-reasoned) moral stance or goal? wasn't his entire purpose in life just career advancement? the only thing I remember about Valens is that he was a weirdo and the milk meme. i feel like the Garlean Defenders would go towards someone with actual philosophies, barring the people just trolling.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rand Brittain posted:

The main distinction is that Misija betrayed, enslaved, mutilated, and murdered people who were supposedly her comrades in arms, as opposed to strangers or enemies, which is the really dirty bit.

Again it's bad but the story and the fanbase is Even more sympathetic to way way worse people so calling her out specifically as the worst person ever on screen is stupid.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sunday Morning posted:

I'm still on board with Jessie Cox's theory that Nero will be the end game villain eventually.

Nero's Counterattack

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Her victims were the equivalent of the officers bad mouthing Fordola in all he scenes with Zenos but just on this side of the playing field.

There's a lot of bozja that's talking about how the political situation pre garlemald and post imperial break up was very bad for some former nobles and great for a lot of the lower class and how this isn't the clean easy revolution we say on places like Doma. The old society was rotten enough that many were happy to see it fall through. It's why there's a mix of true pieces of poo poo and generally nice and normal people fighting on both sides of the war. Many of the reoccurring fights in both zones would, under different circumstances, probably be people we had befriended and fought alongside and some of the people we fought alongside with were people we would have been actively opposing getting back into power.

You got insane pyromaniac wizards on one side and former royal knights talking about the good old days when they could have spit on people like her in the street and that was good and just on the other but you've got loyal honest people that believe in what they're building being better like Pepaga and Lyon fighting against people like us. Her realizing the new world can't be built by the so called comrades that actively look down on her and wish they could mistreat her in the way they used to do to people like her is broadly correct. Her actions after that are hosed up but I don't think it even gets her in the ball park of....a Nidhogg or an Emet Selch or even just a Zenos or Gaius.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Doomykins posted:

I'm not sure on defenders but I checked and there is definitely a contingent of people who have the hots for the guy. Which is wild, to me, but I also found a honest to god Vauthry defender

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I believe Valens started on the bottom of the ladder (as far as native born Garleans go) since they say he 'rose high up the ranks,' so his motivations are probably a pretty simple case of guy who got pushed around being desperate to be the boot himself.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Alright, here's what I ended up with for my DRK hotbars (DRK being the class I know the best). I futzed around with the various settings for ages, but this is what I ended up with - this is with Hold crossbars and WXHB and ExXHB. I also have a reminder bar for cooldowns and so forth.

I am interested in people's thoughts: this seems to work better for me than any prior attempt, at least. I really wish it was possible to configure the target of the WXHB and the ExXHB on a hotbar-by-hotbar basis: being able to, say, use Hotbar 2 and 3 for the WXHB and ExXHB of Hotbar 1 and then Hotbar 5 and 6 for the same for Hotbar 4 would be really cool, and would give a lot more flexibility. But this is fine I think. A similar setup seems to work on GNB, and I've also managed to make BLM fit into the same paradigm, so that's a promising sign.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

goblin week posted:

I'm not sure on defenders but I checked and there is definitely a contingent of people who have the hots for the guy. Which is wild, to me, but I also found a honest to god Vauthry defender

I suspect the sweaty shirtless Estinien we got this post-expansion msq was just actually them re-using the sweaty shirtless Valens model from the Werlyt storyline

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

Fondly remembering the Sorrow of Werlyt discourse right now for no particular reason

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Misija probably isn't even in the top 10 worst people to get sympathy or redemption in FFXIV TBH. She is a bad person but she did bad things for a specific goal that makes sense for her as a person and character using the tools she had available and eventually sacrificed herself, but to get into the top 5 in general you probably need to be an Ancient just on the sheer scale of horrifying crimes you were party to.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've seen Asahi simps, there is no level of love or hate for a character that can astound me any more.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

YggiDee posted:

I've seen Asahi simps, there is no level of love or hate for a character that can astound me any more.

I have a good friend who ships Asahi/Hancock. The world is strange.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lines posted:

I have a good friend who ships Asahi/Hancock. The world is strange.

Dear god, the two of them together would be so greasy the would have to skate around any room they're in.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

YggiDee posted:

asahi is funny so he's far from the worst to annoy your comfort character with

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the ffxiv community would be much happier if they realized that liking bad characters is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

ImpAtom posted:

Misija probably isn't even in the top 10 worst people to get sympathy or redemption in FFXIV TBH. She is a bad person but she did bad things for a specific goal that makes sense for her as a person and character using the tools she had available and eventually sacrificed herself, but to get into the top 5 in general you probably need to be an Ancient just on the sheer scale of horrifying crimes you were party to.

It's not that her crimes are the worst, it's that she as a person is among the most lacking in positive interpersonal qualities.

Misija isn't the most evil, in any utilitarian sense, but she's probably among the most toxic personalities. Nobody likes being betrayed! That's all. It's a perfectly reasonable reason to go "gently caress this lady in particular," especially since a lot of her fans like her most because she's a Mean FemRoe. People have silly emotional responses!