Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Harbinger of Family Values

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Black Noise posted:

This will never get used but it would be nice to have a Dismiss with Honors option for when you have to kick someone because a friend signed on. The missions are pretty long and I hate having to screw guys over after we find the super samples and I suddenly get the discord ping.

You could just...not do this? There's nothing forcing you to be a jerk.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Doesn't host leaving during mission assign a new leader? Just leave the game lol

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Kicking someone for a friend mid mission is a dick move and I'm fine with waiting for someone to complete a mission to then join after they kick someone post mission personally.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 31, 2024

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Hwurmp posted:

what's the best ship name

I've seen King of Democracy and Fist of Family Values, those are both pretty quality

my own ship was Pride of Pride for a long while but now it's Bringer of Science

I went with Claw of Democracy, which sums me up pretty well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

just ask them to leave.

It works every time. “Hey so my buddy is going to join so I’m gonna back out and play with them.”

Or if you have 3 friends in and some rando joins “appreciate the help helldiver but my buddy is about to join, and we need the extra spot if that’s cool”

Or whatever. People will get it. They’ll do the hug emote and leave and it’s nice.

You don’t gotta kick no one unless they won’t leave or something lol

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I wonder what the most common vs uncommon names are. It would be cool to see a graph

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

Harbinger of Family Values
This was my first ship name and I still love it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hot take: I enjoy automatons more than terminids now

you get to creep up all tactical, crawling through the underbrush, marking the hulks and emplacements, finding the right spot to drop a cannon shell or airsrike on their fabricators and slip away

with nids you just kind of rush in and hope not too many titans breach

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Does the new laser rocket launcher work as intended on cold planets? My heat meter drops really fast but then when it try to spin it up to fire it's still not ready for another few seconds.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Song of Science

🎶Hello dorkness my old friend🎶

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Tom Tucker posted:

Does the new laser rocket launcher work as intended on cold planets? My heat meter drops really fast but then when it try to spin it up to fire it's still not ready for another few seconds.

The spin up part happens no matter what, that's the drawback for it since otherwise no one would ever take EATs or the RR.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hwurmp posted:

you get to creep up all tactical, crawling through the underbrush, marking the hulks and emplacements, finding the right spot to drop a cannon shell or airsrike on their fabricators and slip away

Been this way since the start.

The first time I played robots I didn’t go back to bugs until I got something out of it lol

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ship name talk:

I run the "Leviathon of Serenity" because it outs me as a huge sci-fi nerd.

Armor talk:

I always run Light Armor with the recent exception of Eradication missions, where I've been using the Democracy Protects armor, as deaths per minute are so high there that it makes a big difference.

90% of the rest of the time, I run the Scout Armor, with the other 10% with the Legionnaire armor for the extra throwing range.

The Scout Armor is always useful with the decreased detection range, and I actively use the scouting radar feature. In fact, I only recently discovered that when you place a pin on the map, you're the only one who can see that extra radar, so as soon as the group decides what path we're taking, I'm placing pins along the route, and at the destination to be able to call out what I'm seeing. It also makes it a little more palatable to run with a booster other than the extra radar one.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

My ship is SES Blade of Twilight. If i can squeeze in two vampire references i’m gonna do it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Marshall of the regime here.

Also, why the gently caress do pubbies always call for reinforcents in the middle of a drat squad. It's tiring redeploying into 2 dozen bots.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

This was my first ship name and I still love it.

yeah I feel like it nails the tone and is also a good joke

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Black Noise posted:

This will never get used but it would be nice to have a Dismiss with Honors option for when you have to kick someone because a friend signed on. The missions are pretty long and I hate having to screw guys over after we find the super samples and I suddenly get the discord ping.

Mods?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

LazyMaybe posted:

Yes, but that's why I pinged the wall and showed the zero-the gun is set to the default zeroing of 50 meters, and the target is 50 meters away.

Worth saying I actually had to search around a bit before finding terrain that both a). the ping worked properly on, since your pings will go 'through' many manmade structures, and b). has visible decals where bullets hit.
My bad, do you know if you go to 100 yards or 25 yards does it get higher or lower?

smellmycheese posted:

This is going to be a dumb question but why would you not wear the armour suit that gives you a FIFTY PERCENT CHANCE NOT TO DIE WHEN YOU GET WHACKED? Feel free to explain to me why I’m an idiot

50% less explosive damage lets me survive a bot missile every time, not 50% of the time, and they are my real problem on bots.

My ship name is:
Elected Representative of Self-Determination

Because it is the longest possible ship name and covers the whole ship, on top of being patently absurd.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Hwurmp posted:

Theyre way better. Like way way better to fight than bugs. Bugs are really boring. Bots make you claw your way to victory

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Bugs are fun when I'm looking for a good time, bots are fun when I'm looking for a bad time

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pharmaskittle posted:

yeah I feel like it nails the tone and is also a good joke

The Carbot Animation studio uses "Superintendent of Family Values", which is also good.

I use Emperor of Democracy to hit the nail on the head because 40k taught me Fascism Satire needs to be utterly blunt.

Edit: Taking a second look, I think I'll go with "Comptroller of Individual Merit" for a while.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 31, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stun grenades are a little too good. The stun lasts forever and the area is big enough you can easily catch an entire bot drop(sometimes two) in a single grenade.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

I've seen King of Democracy and Fist of Family Values, those are both pretty quality

SES Lord of War

There's enough firearms on Super Earth to have one for every twelfth citizen.

The only question is, how do we arm the remaining eleven?

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I run the Superintendentent of Conviviality.

More syllables, more freedom.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Marshall of the regime here.

Also, why the gently caress do pubbies always call for reinforcents in the middle of a drat squad. It's tiring redeploying into 2 dozen bots.

It seems +/- 50% wether you'll survive that drop. It gets more :smith: when you see a big ol' red flag pole signaling a cluster bomb of despair. BUT the times I've survived have been memorable :xcom: moments (there should be a Helldivers 2 gif sometime soon)

Away all Goats posted:

Stun grenades are a little too good. The stun lasts forever and the area is big enough you can easily catch an entire bot drop(sometimes two) in a single grenade.

And you're complaining about this??

Molrok posted:

The only question is, how do we arm the remaining eleven?

Bear-arms Warbond when

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 31, 2024

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

BlackIronHeart posted:

The spin up part happens no matter what, that's the drawback for it since otherwise no one would ever take EATs or the RR.

In this case it's a red reticle with a click, not the spin up, though\

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My ship is the Lady of Pride.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

A contact nade could have just killed them all. Stun Grenades rock but their only real advantage is being able to stun stuff like Hulks, Chargers, and BTs. Giving up being able to nuke trash, spewers, and spawn holes/bot factories is a fair tradeoff.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Tom Tucker posted:

If you're getting a red reticle with a click then it's not done discharging the heat sink (reloading) yet.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Away all Goats posted:

I think they’re well balanced because you give up some utility with a guaranteed way to close nests/factories and the best non-GL tool for dealing with spewers. But with that said, they are amazing and I usually run them. Stun+500kg will absolutely shred bile titans, chargers, and hulks and if you’re running EAT 2x stuns will buy you enough time to call in the rockets and then blow up whatever you’re stunning. They’re also really nice just for general “time to hit da bricks” stuff when you need to make space from a dense group or fast enemies and using defensively when you have a sentry up that’s about to get bowled over by a charger.

Chillgamesh posted:

A contact nade could have just killed them all. Stun Grenades rock but their only real advantage is being able to stun stuff like Hulks, Chargers, and BTs. Giving up being able to nuke trash, spewers, and spawn holes/bot factories is a fair tradeoff.

Stuns absolutely have a larger radius than an explosive grenade’s lethal radius - it’s extra work but stun+shoot will kill more than any other nade can and it’s pretty trivial to mow stuff down that is stunned with a sickle or shotgun.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 31, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Chillgamesh posted:

If you're also getting completely surrounded by little yard treasure bugs, they're safe to drop at your feet to escape

Dropping the contact grenade at your feet is less advisable

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I simply throw a grenade at the bugs before they are directly on top of me and then shoot the survivors

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Stallion of Science

And so I’m not just piling on the name-train, a bit of armchair game design: The default movement speed is ridiculously slow, but juggling the stamina bar on long treks is lame. It would be better if sprint speed was the default and “sprinting” was like 2 seconds of really booking it. Then it could lock you into the old jogging speed while the stamina bar recharged, just long enough that juggling wouldn’t offer an advantage.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

I enjoy commanding the Panther of Patriotism

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

I've noticed what you're noticing too - the cold planets don't actually make it recharge faster. They make it cool down faster but there seems to be an intrinsic delay before they can shoot again regardless of whether it's cooled down or not, so it cools completely but you still have a couple seconds before it can start charging again.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ChaseSP posted:

Kicking someone for a friend mid mission is a dick move and I'm fine with waiting for someone to complete a mission to then join after they kick someone personally.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Harbinger of Twilight because I'm a JRPG character.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hwurmp posted:

Against both enemies avoiding patrols and using strategems on objectives to rush them before loving off is a good tactic. It's easier to achieve against bugs and more important for bots, but the enemies feel pretty similar once you're used to both of them. You dive more against bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does anyone else use the sickle on charger legs?

It's weird because it looks like it's doing nothing. Then the charger dies.