Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

FauxLeather posted:

I may be crazy for this but I can't help but feel as though the ogres, trolls and chimeras have had their difficulties neutered in this game. The hardest time I had with the chimera was during the sidequest where you had to get the poison lover to be doused in chimeric snake venom. They're barely a threat otherwise and can either be chain stunlocked with well-placed shots or slashes, or get too lost in their own attack animations to really hit anyone? Comparing them to DD1 where climbing was far more effective at dealing damage encouraged the player to get real up close to them and it felt like their AI knew how to deal with that. Like I beat the Medusa earlier and it felt like they didn't have any idea where the party was.
Everything in this game feels easy and I'm not even that good at gaming. The chimeras in the first game were definitely harder but here you can just yoink their health down basically anywhere you hit them since it's all weak spots. I think the hardest fights in the game were the first couple of times I fought a dragon (notably also on a new vocation) when I wasn't supremely leveled and geared either. It's definitely one of my biggest complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I managed to eventually tweak the custom difficulty mod's settings to the point where things were challenging but not tedious, but now that I think about it some more, I wonder if you could achieve the same thing by cutting the XP gain down, since it only affects the stats and they might have just been too generous with XP.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014
Holy poo poo, can't you remove scars from your main pawn? Are they permanent? I tried going to the barber but I can't just remove any. I usually don't mind some of them, but they literally put one on their face and they now look like the joker.

Didn't save in an inn for some time too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lamare posted:

Holy poo poo, can't you remove scars from your main pawn? Are they permanent? I tried going to the barber but I can't just remove any. I usually don't mind some of them, but they literally put one on their face and they now look like the joker.

I think you can remove them at a hot spring.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lamare posted:

Take a dip in the hot springs

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

I think you can remove them at a hot spring.

Broken Cog posted:

Take a dip in the hot springs

Oh alright, that's good to hear! Didn't cross the border yet, but I'm about to now, illegally.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah, I think the way to do a good faux-NG+ in this is gonna be the reduced XP mod, Warfarer unlocked from start, and True Warfarer + some other QoL. Outlevelling the world is a big bummer because there's so much of it to see, and it becomes trivial pretty quickly if you're not careful. Like I just decided to check out some kick-rear end areas I hadn't done before, since I'm approaching the end of the story, but everything I found just got absolutely wrecked by my crew.

The suggestion someone had earlier in the thread for a mod that reduces "minion" XP and makes big monsters your main source seems like a really good idea.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 31, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sixto Lezcano posted:

The suggestion someone had earlier in the thread for a mod that reduces "minion" XP and makes big monsters your main source seems like a really good idea.

The rate of return on boss XP/VP is really bad. Like, less than a single goblin pack.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hahaha I have been saved a few times by then catching me, but haven't unlocked resurrection arrows yet lol.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think Magic Archer was my favorite vocation by the end. Just transforms the game into a third person shooter, has some really weird skills and a loving MGS' NIKITA missile which was always hilarious.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Created a DDDA mod merge that adds a 2.5x slower leveling factor into the Magick Archer Alternate Stat Growth and Mystic Knight Alternate Stat Growth mods: DDDA 2.5x slower leveling with MA MK alt stat growth.

This doesn't touch Vocation leveling or even Experience gain, so you'll get dcp at the same rate as vanilla and can buy skills just as normal. It changes the experience required for each character level instead, slowing it down by a factor of 2.5x. So I'm at level 20 and instead of the 16,300 xp I need in vanilla to hit level 21, I now need 40,456 xp.

So your HP/Stamina/Attack/MagAttack/Defense/MagDefense values will go up more slowly since you gain character levels slower, but you'll gain skills and vocation ranks at the exact same rate as in vanilla.

This does mean your pawn will have better skills at lower levels, so it'll be stronger than other pawns online. But no one's hired my pawn in 20 hours, so I feel I'm not going to disrupt the fabric of the universe with this.

There's a 3x slower leveling mod that people seem pleased enough with, so I went for slightly faster leveling with a 2.5x slowdown instead. That mod also drops dcp leveling and therefore skill acquisition by 2x, which I didn't want. And of course, this merges in the MA/MK alt stat growth as well.

It uses the balanced versions of the MA MK alt stat growth values, which keep everything about MA/MK the same except for moving 1 point each from phys/magic defense to phys/magic attack - which brings them up to the combined 7 points of attack that all other vocations have, including Assassin.

If you want to do this yourself, there's a good merge tutorial I followed. You can download ArcTool itself, customized for DDDA, on Nexus.

E: Back up your nativePC/rom/game_main.arc file first if you want to revert easily - or use Steam verify to do that. You can only have one mod active that changes that file, hence this merge.

I'm doing the slower leveling because I thought the Hero Achievement looks quite fun: doing all quests in the game. Not an achievements person but that's how I tend to play in any case so it's a fun goal. Using the wiki and this guide to make sure I don't miss any quests by progressing the game too quickly. Sounds like you get over-leveled very quickly in DDDA if you are a do everything player.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 31, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

found the riftstone for "pawns with a distinctive pate," wasn't disappointed. I love these stupid themed rifts

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This rules but it’s also one of those things that illustrates the line between “quasi-deliberate system interaction (cool)” and “unintentional system interaction (should’ve been deliberate)”.

Sometimes it sucks when your classes are each doled out one cool fun mechanic (if that) with no means of crossing over, short of giving up your present thing. This is the sort of wacky / inventive problem solving poo poo I want to do all the time… environmental interaction and traversal always feels incomplete absent a full-on immersive sim approach. A big part of why HITMAN and the new Zeldas are so good.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Whoever designed some of these battahl caves to have fights in tunnels that are so tight you can't actually see anything needs to be smacked.

Bonus points when those enemies explode when hit with flame learned that the hard way. :saddowns:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sloober posted:

you can zoom into a monster's head from 10 yards away and then dragoon stab it after connecting? if you're just gonna bubble itll be boring as poo poo for sure

It's boring as poo poo even if you do all that bc nothing does good damage. So you dash a bunch of times tickling big monsters down assuming it's not armored and you just bounce off while you wait for your pawn to just one shot it with meteoron or whatever else you have that's actually strong. Like I'm getting annoyed that trash doesn't die to a stun -> dash -> triangle attack anymore with some poo poo not even losing half their HP to it now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My lazy archer pawns won't shoot down ladders for me, what's the best item to give them to let their owner know my immense disappointment in them

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mystic Spearhand's teleport is so loving inconsistent too it was constantly getting me killed by not triggering for no reason or teleporting me to a stupid spot.

It's the one class I actively dislike playing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

My lazy archer pawns won't shoot down ladders for me, what's the best item to give them to let their owner know my immense disappointment in them

Have you tried teaching them yourself?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jack Trades posted:

Have you tried teaching them yourself?

I don't own a bow, so this isn't my fault at all :v:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

This recommended for pawns as well? I think it's what I have except Lyncean Sight instead of Deathly Arrow, and I should probably get rid of Lyncean since it doesn't seem to be all that effective on her.

It's what I am running on my Pawn. She doesn't seem to hang back far enough to make Lyncean Sight feel worth it, and not even the pawns seem to know what to do with Heavenly Shot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

You can't shoot down ladders, unless I somehow did it wrong when I tried

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Owl Inspector posted:

You can't shoot down ladders, unless I somehow did it wrong when I tried

I think Launchpad to kick it down is the only way.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Nemo2342 posted:

It's what I am running on my Pawn. She doesn't seem to hang back far enough to make Lyncean Sight feel worth it, and not even the pawns seem to know what to do with Heavenly Shot.

I've had so many archer pawns heavenly shoot a barrel.

I really need to start paying attention to thier skills.

My pawn is a beast of a warrior so I'm never changing her now.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm no expert, I didn't use the skill when I was working on spearhand, but it looks like you missed both times. Like the first swing he got knocked out of range but you weren't even close for the 2nd.

It's a ranged blue magical projectile

Jack Trades posted:

You need to be within the kissing range for it to hit.

https://i.imgur.com/IxR4zgA.mp4

Not sure how much closer I can get ignoring the fact it's a projectile and small mobs don't have to be that close

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kild posted:

https://i.imgur.com/IxR4zgA.mp4

Not sure how much closer I can get ignoring the fact it's a projectile and small mobs don't have to be that close

Huh. I guess I never paid attention to the enemy health bar when using that move.

In my defense when I played Spearhand I was desperate to get to Bakbattahl so I could switch away from Spearhand as soon as loving possible.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Warfarer actually kinda owns, especially in the late-game where it's not exactly viable to equip every vocation's best armor (but with Warfarer you can equip any).

And for NG+ it's not like whatever stat debuff really matters, since I'm already too strong.

Speaking of being too strong, it's kind of silly that Thief gets a Holy-damage top weapon.

Edit: I've also confirmed that pawns definitely say different stuff when you encounter/recruit them in NG+.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 31, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Draven posted:

I've had so many archer pawns heavenly shoot a barrel.

I really need to start paying attention to thier skills.

My pawn is a beast of a warrior so I'm never changing her now.

deathly shot and heavenly shot have got to be some of the worst pawn skills in the game

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I do not like controllers.

How are the mouse and keyboard controls? I have read things saying they are... pretty awful, but that is often a complaint people raise which is remedied by tweaking them.

So, how are they?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Real Arisen play with a gamepad

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Well despite having no idea where I found my first token it ended up being in the very first place I looked. Nice

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When would you actually want to use the weird zoom-in Archer skill? Getting a couple shots on a target from far away before a fight starts doesn't seem worth a skill slot.

I usually go with the DoT skill, the rapid-fire one, explosive arrow, and either Deathly Shot or another specialty arrow (probably the latter in the late game where I have plenty of them).

Speaking of specialty shots, how good is applying Blight to enemies? It's a DoT as a poison I'm guessing? Seems like the sort of thing that would either be really good or really useless.

Edit: Unrelated, but the lack of a "transmog" is really bugging me in the late-game, because the various armor and weapons are so cool looking. It's just a huge waste. I know you can just eat the stat loss (since it's not exactly super hard to begin with), but at that point it might as well just allow you to choose the appearance.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 31, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Diogines posted:

How are the mouse and keyboard controls? I have read things saying they are... pretty awful, but that is often a complaint people raise which is remedied by tweaking them.

So, how are they?

they're fine. the combat in this game is not difficult and the biggest lift for kb+m is adjusting to pressing ctrl to access additional skills (or whatever else if you remap). i've done everything easily with kb+m. some of the higher jumps took a little practice for chaining thief skills.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deathly arrow is funny when you perfect time it and it launches something into the brine but it isn’t stronger enough than the full draw core skill that does almost the same thing faster and without removing your ability to strafe.

having reached 9 with archer the class basically feels like “here’s the ranged half of strider that we nerfed in several hundred unnecessary ways but also added explosive arrow” so it’s basically just a vehicle to trivialize things with explosive arrow. I don’t have the maister skill for it yet but unless it really transforms the class, I’m incredibly disappointed with what they did to it after strider was my most used class in DD1.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

This rules but it’s also one of those things that illustrates the line between “quasi-deliberate system interaction (cool)” and “unintentional system interaction (should’ve been deliberate)”.

Sometimes it sucks when your classes are each doled out one cool fun mechanic (if that) with no means of crossing over, short of giving up your present thing. This is the sort of wacky / inventive problem solving poo poo I want to do all the time… environmental interaction and traversal always feels incomplete absent a full-on immersive sim approach. A big part of why HITMAN and the new Zeldas are so good.

Why did everyone who posts like this decide to start talking about this game in particular lmao

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Archer rules and the only reason I am unlikely to main it after maxing everything else is because magick archer exists (and also sorcerer, for those times I want to drop meteors on the heads of everything in visual range).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Magick Archer and Sorcerer are a lot of fun but I ultimately didn't feel like they hit a good gameplay balance. Playing them correctly trivializes everything and playing them sub-optimally feels really mediocre.

I ended up settling on Mystic Spearhand because it still deletes monsters at warp speed but at least I feel like I'm DOING something to make that happen.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Diogines posted:

So, how are they?

Combat with keyboard and mouse is fine. The true annoyance comes from navigating menus, you're going to have to learn certain key combinations to do it efficiently, just like the first game.

'Just like the first game' is a good summary of DD2 in general

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Golems are somehow the most dangerous monsters in the game because even if your pawns have physical attacks, there's always that one last medal they just don't want to attack, and meanwhile the golem can one shot your scrawny sorcerer rear end even at fairly high level.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Thundarr posted:

Golems are somehow the most dangerous monsters in the game because even if your pawns have physical attacks, there's always that one last medal they just don't want to attack, and meanwhile the golem can one shot your scrawny sorcerer rear end even at fairly high level.

Learn Maelstrom and Golems become the least threatening thing possible to Sorcerers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Thanks for all the goons that have hired out my pawn, Jaie. He is now a level 52 fighter and I'll be switching to the 12x Onyx reward soon so people can earn 30k for killing ogres!

Lookit this guy.

Is there anyone who has a mage who they would like to be hired on steam who needs some RC/gifts?