Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Speaking of space marines if you like the concept and want to see how it might play out in WWII check out Uber, a comic series about Nazi Germany cracking alien tech and making giant super-soldiers to turn the tide at the last second. Thankfully Allies get their hands on the tech and have hope of mounting a counterattack.

and I was going to take a ride from them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Ciaphas Cain books are really good. Dude's a legitimate hero of the Imperium and is a coward that constantly tries to stay out of combat. He does deserve most of the accolades he gets though because he is legit good at fighting. Would just rather be sitting in a nice room, far from battle, with whiskey, good food, and maybe a woman for company.

He also constantly gets sent into the worst poo poo because of his reputation, and can't say no to suicide missions because it would destroy his reputation. Its a fun character in a series full of edgy grimdark. He'll even work with xenos if he has to without many qualms.

His aide Jurgen is such a fun character. Every description of him talks about what a slovenly, smelly, dim witted, disgusting excuse for a man he is, but he has saved Cain's life countless times and is his closest friend. He smells worse than a demon of Nurgle and there is no one you would rather have by your side.

Its too bad its drat near impossible to find physical copies of the 3rd omnibus. The 1st one is easy enough too find but the 2nd is quite expensive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ciaphas Cain is famously pretty much Flashman 40k, but hey, steal from the best.

Speaking of, this is probably canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfYx_013UuY

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

The Ciaphas Cain books are really good. Dude's a legitimate hero of the Imperium and is a coward that constantly tries to stay out of combat. He does deserve most of the accolades he gets though because he is legit good at fighting. Would just rather be sitting in a nice room, far from battle, with whiskey, good food, and maybe a woman for company.

He also constantly gets sent into the worst poo poo because of his reputation, and can't say no to suicide missions because it would destroy his reputation. Its a fun character in a series full of edgy grimdark. He'll even work with xenos if he has to without many qualms.

His aide Jurgen is such a fun character. Every description of him talks about what a slovenly, smelly, dim witted, disgusting excuse for a man he is, but he has saved Cain's life countless times and is his closest friend. He smells worse than a demon of Nurgle and there is no one you would rather have by your side.

Its too bad its drat near impossible to find physical copies of the 3rd omnibus. The 1st one is easy enough too find but the 2nd is quite expensive.

dude, just be happy that Guilliman is back, and Orks is still orks

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
In the early 90s, Games Workshop had a record label. There was a band called D-Rok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YH8jROzZQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRtRkET9xMA

Brian May played on some of these because he ran into them when he went to look at the spacemans with his son.

Wikipedia posted:

D-Rok owes some popularity to the fact that Brian May, guitarist of Queen played on two of the songs ("Get out of My Way" and "Red Planet Blues"). In an interview with Kerrang! magazine, lead singer Sigh explained that May had visited a Games Workshop store with his son, met the band, and offered his services. Sigh went on to say that May had not been offended when he was asked to tune up his guitar before recording his parts, and was the nicest rock star he had ever met.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

While they had him they should have gotten him to fact-check some ideas they had for space stuff

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

While they had him they should have gotten him to fact-check some ideas they had for space stuff
He did have his own music where he could tell stories about time dilation alienation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8kGMfXaFU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
My favourite warhammer character is Ferrus Manus, primarch of the Iron Hands legion. Ferrus Manus, of course, means Iron Hand and the space marines of the legion/chapter replace their hands with iron bionics and follow his teachings, the Iron Creed. They're lead by the Iron Council, which is made up of 40 Iron Fathers and follow the are currently waging the Iron Crusade to save the Iron Guard of Mordia from chaos.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 31, 2024

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Elukka posted:

In the early 90s, Games Workshop had a record label. There was a band called D-Rok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YH8jROzZQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRtRkET9xMA

Brian May played on some of these because he ran into them when he went to look at the spacemans with his son.

I’d like to point out that the guy in the front there is scar face.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Improbable Lobster posted:

My favourite warhammer character is Ferrus Manus, primarch of the Iron Hands legion. Ferrus Manus, of course, means Iron Hand and the space marines of the legion/chapter replace their hands with iron bionics and follow his teachings, the Iron Creed. They're lead by the Iron Council, which is made up of 40 Iron Fathers and follow the are currently waging the Iron Crusade to save the Iron Guard of Mordia from chaos.

A legion with lots of iron is less likely to assault a planet for iron ore than one whose iron supplies are low.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I don't play myself, but I did work for a guy who had a who had a room full of that poo poo. It was yellow and red

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't play myself, but I did work for a guy who had a who had a room full of that poo poo. It was yellow and red

Iron Hands are grey with silver. Iron Warriors are grey, with black and yellow hazard stripes for trim. One is "good" and one is not very nice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weirdly enough it's not the Iron Hands that the Iron Warriors have particular beef with, they have a particularly deep hatred for the Imperial Fists, even moreso than their deep hatred for literally everything else.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Pertie and his boys were not well treated. The Dorn/Iron Fists beef is one of those dark reflections type deals. They're so similar they must hate one another.

An entire iron fists successor chapter was written out of history because the majority of them joined with the Iron warriors during the war of the beast.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Like a week before he died Ferrus Manus decided that when he had a moment he really needed to tell his sons to stop cutting off their hands.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ciaphas Cain is famously pretty much Flashman 40k, but hey, steal from the best.

Absolutely, although I would say Ciaphis is better than Flashman since it doesn't have all the problematic poo poo that's in Flashman. Plus Ciaphis is actually likable and easy to root for. He's not an irredeemable piece of human garbage like Flashman.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weirdly enough it's not the Iron Hands that the Iron Warriors have particular beef with, they have a particularly deep hatred for the Imperial Fists, even moreso than their deep hatred for literally everything else.

its because they had a literal Iron Cage match, and the Iron Warriors were winning until Undertaker Ultramarines showed up and tag-teamed them with the Imperial Fists

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vampire Panties posted:

its because they had a literal Iron Cage match, and the Iron Warriors were winning until Undertaker Ultramarines showed up and tag-teamed them with the Imperial Fists

lol the Iron Cage, that's a fun one. And a grand execution of a classic gambit.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Who would have thought a secret doom fortress was actually just mile upon mile of killing corridors and death traps to murder them all? Though.. why didn't they just have the whole thing explode when Dorne got there? Ah that's no fun I guess.

e:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
so there's 2 primarchs that are back and ready to gently caress, is Vulkan still alive? last I heard he was captured and being tortured or something? so there's 3 maybe. who else could come back? Russ? that would be sick as hell, flying out of the warp with some screeching guitars playing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Charles Bukowski posted:

Who would have thought a secret doom fortress was actually just mile upon mile of killing corridors and death traps to murder them all? Though.. why didn't they just have the whole thing explode when Dorne got there? Ah that's no fun I guess.

Not nearly as fun as letting him have to live with that, no.

I love how insanely vicious and brutal the Heresy was, and I get the feeling it's if anything still not quite as bloody and messy as civil wars tend to be irl, with unpredictable betrayals, venting old grudges and sheer chaos (no pun intended) as allies become enemies and suddenly the battle lines are a total mess.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Demon Of The Fall posted:

so there's 2 primarchs that are back and ready to gently caress, is Vulkan still alive? last I heard he was captured and being tortured or something? so there's 3 maybe. who else could come back? Russ? that would be sick as hell, flying out of the warp with some screeching guitars playing

captured and tortured is not even by the end of the heresy (millennia before 40k). traitors are getting models rolled out on the regular, loyalists have russ, dorn, vulkan, khan and corax on deck. sanguinius and ferrus are permanently dead (vulkan gets killed to be worfed all the time in the heresy but he gets better)

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Dark Eldar have a Primarch they captured in order to torture him for all eternity.

Maybe that's Vulkan but I want to say it's someone else.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
khan is the one that hosed off to the webway. russ and corax hosed off to the eye of terror. dorn is supposedly killed but they'll retcon that if the model sells well, prolly. vulkan will come back after the salamanders do an epic scavenger hunt

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Charles Bukowski posted:

e:

Her scrunt is peeking out!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

limp_cheese posted:

Absolutely, although I would say Ciaphis is better than Flashman since it doesn't have all the problematic poo poo that's in Flashman. Plus Ciaphis is actually likable and easy to root for. He's not an irredeemable piece of human garbage like Flashman.

Yeah. Cain is also not a coward, just has enough brain to feel fear but also a gently caress ton of impostor syndrome. I feel like amberly would have blasted him if he was an actual coward.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Pertie and his boys were not well treated. The Dorn/Iron Fists beef is one of those dark reflections type deals. They're so similar they must hate one another.

An entire iron fists successor chapter was written out of history because the majority of them joined with the Iron warriors during the war of the beast.

Pertie is a giant shithead who doesn’t have the spine to ask for better assignments because he is perpetually fishing for compliments and praise and poo poo. Dudes basically an incel. He had some fun moments where he smashs fulgrims face with model kit. Also he just up and leaves the heresy because he gets sick of it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 31, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yeah Vulkan got the poo poo tortured out of him by Konrad Kurze, but he got out. As far as I know, he was last seen 2,000 years after the Heresy fighting a giant Ork called The Beast until the Imperial Navy dropped a torpedo on both of them from orbit, apparently vaporizing them both.

Russ will return during the Wolftime, and the Space Wolves think they're in the Wolftime now.

Jaghatai Khan rode off into the Webway and is possibly captured by Eldar of some variety

Corvus Korax chased the Traitors into the Warp and may now be a giant crow Daemon

Dorn was last seen leading a boarding action on a Traitor ship, and all that was recovered later was his hands

The Blood Angels are occasionally visited by something called the Sanguinor, a being of great powers who appears in times of crisis, who is probably Sanguinius's soul or something along those line.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Kharnifex posted:

Her scr*nt is peeking out!

Reported

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bad Purchase posted:

orks live in an egalitarian society free of discrimination and prejudice. they organize under local collectives rather than a central authority, falling in line under a warboss only when necessary in wartime

an ork’s currency is his teeth, and his teeth regrow, ensuring no ork remains in poverty forever

vibes are the driving force of ork society and positivity creates its own reward.

I deeply appreciate this post

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The entire work experience rests on the back of the Grot. Theirs is the labor and drive that sends the green tide to the stars and yet they share in none of the rewards.

But it's okay, they're Grots

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

From Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society by Uthan the Perverse, a controversial Eldar philosopher

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mr Teatime posted:

The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

From Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society by Uthan the Perverse, a controversial Eldar philosopher

If I was an ork I'd probably get murdered for not being orky enough

Or I'd be a weird boy, that'd be ok I guess

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I remember in that art book Xenobiology there's an ork that just gets dumb and fat because he had nothing to fight and no external stimulus in his little preserve. Sounds like the ideal existence.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I think I want that book.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man it was so weird to hear GW smashed the glass on the "bring smurf king back from the dead" button. and I saw some weird-rear end new models, and some really lovely looking new dreadnoughts. giving dreadnoughts actual proportional limbs and thighs and poo poo? the gently caress? 40k jumped the space shark

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Captain Invictus posted:

man it was so weird to hear GW smashed the glass on the "bring smurf king back from the dead" button. and I saw some weird-rear end new models, and some really lovely looking new dreadnoughts. giving dreadnoughts actual proportional limbs and thighs and poo poo? the gently caress? 40k jumped the space shark

I went to their website to look at all the new models and like 60% of them are like "Not available".

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I own a 5000 point Adepta Sororitas army.

titty_baby_ posted:

It's called Warhammer 40k because it costs $40,000 to get your first army

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh drat GW ended Forgeworld. What the gently caress. I remember the Horus Heresy books and models looking amazing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda funny that GW has had a massive upshot of sales but I'm not sure how much is actually credit to the fancy new deluxe model Space Marines vs just actually getting their poo poo together with everything else.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah. Cain is also not a coward, just has enough brain to feel fear but also a gently caress ton of impostor syndrome. I feel like amberly would have blasted him if he was an actual coward.

I get the vibe he's just got a pretty well functioning fight-or-flight reflex and is also having to constantly calculate the risk of the threat in front of him vs behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

I went to their website to look at all the new models and like 60% of them are like "Not available".

Yeah their sales liked doubled during Covid and they have not been able to keep up with demand at all

Hollismason posted:

Oh drat GW ended Forgeworld. What the gently caress. I remember the Horus Heresy books and models looking amazing.

They merged, it's all one website now. And Horus Heresy is still going strong. They're releasing a drat Blackshields character next week

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/blackshields-endryd-haar-the-riven-hound-2024?queryID=b92e66034888fbbef17fe1e083ebb904