Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It's probably viable to set up cloud to beat the fight without perfect blocking but I haven't unlocked chapter select to go back and see what that might entail in a way that will meaningfully help. If the wider perfect block window materia isn't helping the best advice I can give with my vague memory of the fight is just build cloud super tanky and use steadfast block materia and just literally hold down block until you see the reload move and then punish him exactly once (one atb charge or probably about 3 regular attacks) or heal if necessary. If that doesn't help I'm sorry BC yeah if you aren't good at playing this like an action game it's gonna suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is all the advice I made from all the things I learned about that fight.

Fedule posted:

Gonna compile a short advice section for that one boss of Chapter 12 since I just spent so much time trying to practice that fight on Hard Mode long past the point where I could consistently get to the end of it.

This is geared for people coming into it on Normal Mode but to be honest Hard isn't very different except you'll have less room for error and more moves.

If you didn't notice, there's an opening to hold Square to use the menu before the fight begins. This is a mixed blessing; it comes after the checkpoint so if you rebuild you will need to redo your changes every time you retry. Precision Defence and Steadfast Block are recommended, as is a Healing. Add other utilities like Protect or Haste to taste although those aren't necessary and it can be hard to find the time to cast buffs. Specifically on normal mode the materia that gives you an item for 0 ATB every few commands is a godsend. Elemental Thunder on the armour is nice to have although as you'll see it might come in less handy than you'd think.

Embrace the push/pull. You do not get to set the pace. You are going to be fully reactive, and not be on the offensive outside of your window.

You are going to have to learn some of his moves. Many aren't complex and can probably be grasped intuitively; literally any sideways movement will evade Bright Lights, but Ricochet and Spiral have a little bit of timing needed. It's possible that on Normal you'll have the leeway to just eat these moves if you're committed to just muddling through. He throws a lot of new poo poo at you but you'll find it easy to memorise after a few tries.

If you're looking for advice at all someone's probably told you that he'll stagger instantly if you hit him with Braver during a Reload. This is true but absolutely not necessary. This is for the people who want show off. It's hard to hit him with Braver. It has a long windup and a decent animation, and very low range, to land this you have to evade a lot of moves very perfectly and then start the move before the Reload actually becomes visible. Your bread and butter is actually going to be Focused Thrust if you're even in his vicinity and Triple Slash (or just the dodge and hold square closer) if you're across the arena. Focused Thrust can cover a lot of ground, comes out quickly, and will land that all important interrupting hit fast enough that you can still do it after you actually see him reloading, and will then pressure him and build a lot of stagger on the same execution. If you have another ATB in the tank you can hit him with a second right away, or back off to heal if needed. Or land some combos to get the gauge back up. Now, by all means, if you're plugged in and counting his shots (he gets four attacks in a combo, I think (does anyone know this for certain?)) and you're reasonably sure a Reload is coming and you have the margin to eat the poo poo if you're wrong and you're in position then gently caress it, roll those dice. But it's for opportunists and showoffs.

Triple Slash in particular is surprisingly good at interrupting Rufus in the middle of attacks. So is Counterstance but you won't have that in Normal mode. This is maybe risky though.

His regular unnamed attacks can be blocked, perfectly if you're into that. Guns Akimbo can also be blocked. He has two variants of Akimbo and the one without a jump in the middle of it is always (I think) followed by a reload. However it will push you back quite a ways so unless you perfectly dodge it, which is much harder, it's not ideal for Bravering.

You don't need to sweat optimising the stagger. You can get another if you can get one. Big damage feels good but be sure to leave some gauge in the tank. Or use the time to heal if you have to.

When Darkstar joins the fray, KO him ASAP. He's generally vulnerable to Punisher counters and pressures easily after one. When he does, unload on him immediately. He can be juggled while pressured and if you use Triple Slash on him the second slash will also fairly reliably interrupt Rufus from whatever he was going to try to interrupt your juggle with, so it's pretty easy to stagger him out of a pressure. It's pretty good practice to save a Limit from the first half of the fight and use it as soon as he staggers. It'll then be straightforward to finish him off before you have to face too many team-up attacks. When he's out, Rufus will get some buffs but nothing that changes how he behaves.

Hopefully this will help some people who are struggling with this and for whom advice, such as it is, from gaming gods is unhelpful.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Instant Grat posted:

I really wish there was an easy way to refight him at will. I think he might be my favorite boss in the game.

I replayed that chapter to get to the bugged sidequest again and its a pretty fun chapter just to play in general. Lot of good fights very quickly

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fedule posted:

This is all the advice I made from all the things I learned about that fight.

I don't know if this works in normal mode (I assume it does?) but my strategy on hard mode was to hold my limit for the start of phase two and absolutely unload on darkstar because after you take him down it's effectively just phase one again.

My other piece of advice is that every time he dashes towards you get use to just blocking because if it's a normal attack you'll probably perfect block it and also gain a bunch of ATB if you've been using/leveling the block materias, and if it's an unblockable attack there's enough of a delay to dodge out..

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

He can't counter a summon attack so summoning can actually be useful in that fight.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This video is full of very good tips for the Ch. 12 boss that do not require super high-level execution:

https://youtu.be/UL6xgLzx090

The title says "Hard Mode" but the strats are universally applicable

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Am I really dumb or does yuffie not have a synergy skill that lets her increase her limit level? I managed to unlock her level 3 limit break but can't find an ability to raise the limit level

E: nvm I found one in reds folio she just doesn't have one in her own I think

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Wamsutta posted:

wtf is the rufus fight?
In phase 2 he will always reload after the ice attack.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Am I really dumb or does yuffie not have a synergy skill that lets her increase her limit level? I managed to unlock her level 3 limit break but can't find an ability to raise the limit level

E: nvm I found one in reds folio she just doesn't have one in her own I think

Cloud and Barret's tandem attacks with Yuffie also raise the limit level, but yeah, her own grid doesn't have any.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LadyPictureShow posted:

Cloud and Barret's tandem attacks with Yuffie also raise the limit level, but yeah, her own grid doesn't have any.

I can't even guess how far into the game I was before I realized that the tandem attacks weren't paired across grids and unlocking it on someone's grid just unlocked it, and the other character had a different one with a different effect.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Me too as in I literally figured it out during the party split in chapter 13 lol

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm still at the start of Chapter 12, and I'm in a weird place mentally -- I still want to do all the minigames and new challenges they added, I really do. But a growing part of me wants this game to just loving end already. There's just too much video game here and I think they were better served by Remake's linearity forcing them to edit themselves.

I did finish off Queen's Blood, though; that was fun even if the final fight is a bullshit cheat-fest that I took one swing at and then promptly looked up a guide for. Bit weird that Regina's motivation is "I can never lose and I couldn't handle the pressure of having to keep winning" when you've canonically already beaten her at least once to get to that point, since she's a gatekeeping boss to rank up, and probably twice because anyone who bothered to complete the QB storyline would've played out the cruise ship tournament, and you beat here there too. Regina, girl, you're not the best, you can chill about that. You lose every time I meet you.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I sort of read her competitive nature specifically making her vulnerable to the queen because you whooped her

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think “too much” is exactly the right amount for FF7, I am glad they went as balls to the wall as they did

I didn’t think the final queens blood fight was that bad, I just beat it using the same card-destruction deck I used for every other fight. Tonberries and Midgardsormr ftw

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Yea it was a first try for me. Guess people just cheesed all the fights without ever adding the op cards you get later on

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just finish the game and see the story play out. You can jump back in to sidequest like a maniac any time you like.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I just ignored the middle row, put win boosters on top and bottom, then used Gi Nattak to buff both of them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Personally I'm glad there's this smorgasbord of content lol... I'm in no rush to see the end, sometimes i just pop on to do a few open world or minigame checkoffs and then the longer sessions on the weekend are where i push forward into the next chapter. Been playing since release date and just about to finish Gongaga

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I did all side quests except chocobo racing, but I skipped out on crunches, glide de chocobo, finishing the protorelic quest (I would do this after finishing the game, but I doubt I’ll have time before leaving on a long trip) and updated chapter 12 minigames. I’m just starting at chapter 14 and conflicted about whether or not I’m ready for the game to end. I’m definitely not ready for the ending itself if it follows the original game’s plot, though. The game is absolutely amazing, and intensely frustrating at the same time. Definitely a weird feeling.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just finished the main story last night.

Now looking to make the most cheesy broken build possible to blitz the postgame content.

Does anyone have a link to something or s list of what to equip and do to achieve this?

I'm 50/50 on doing the last of the mini games.

I got hit by that bug for the final quest that prevents me from completing it, despite meeting all the requirements. It seems like chapter select resets your progress on it too.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thanks for everyone who posted here to help me with the ch 12 boss. Was able to do it last night after all. I put Fire-Elemental on my armor, precision block, steadfast block, kept Regen up constantly, and then just focused on dodging and attacking after he had fired twice (or done Guns Akimbo), the attempt I won on took like 15 minutes because it’s such a plink fest. Definitely didn’t find it fun, glad it’s over, won’t be doing it again! It probably doesn’t help that outside of using Punisher mode (or when I’m playing Red) I never use block, trying to learn to use it in this fight was a bad time so I bailed and went back to just dodging. I play Souls games the same way lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just spammed dodge and attack like a maniac until he died.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I had enough healing that I felt the fight was hard to lose on dynamic and I got through on my first try, but it took forever and I won by brute force. I didn’t pick up on the pattern for reloading and I didn’t know how to dodge his ricochet move, so I just reflexively dodged every time he got close, which meant I missed out on a lot of opportunities. It just felt like a really messy fight that was frustrating and punishing, but that I was still able to win just by grinding it out for long enough to wear him down.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Hoo boy you guys weren't kidding about Glide De Chocobo huh, this poo poo sucks big time

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Trip Hazard posted:

Hoo boy you guys weren't kidding about Glide De Chocobo huh, this poo poo sucks big time

I think it'd be loads better if I could just control the camera fully while doing it. Half the time I have to guess my angle for the next ring because I can't see it properly.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
What I've learnt is that my partner is some kind of Glide de Chocobo savant because they got perfect scores on it all like it was easy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Item Economizer helps a lot for that chapter 12 boss, since it lets you heal without spending ATB. Not an option in hard mode replays, though.

Can't say I'm really a fan of the fight either, since it's not very action-y to me to spend 90% of the fight blocking or dodging while the boss gets to do cool poo poo non-stop. That and he's got more than one of that style of unblockable fakeout move where you know it's coming, but the actual timing to avoid it is both unclear and very tight so you just end up eating poo poo repeatedly.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Beat the one legendary duo trial with Zack after many tries. Not enjoyable. Trying the seph one but despite him being supposedly OP, his spin dash skill is very twitchy and I get knocked out of it half the time since it’s difficult to see what an enemy is doing when you’re spinning in rapid circles around him. I think I’ll end up just resorting to the Zack strategy of “let cloud do 90% of the work.”

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Arkage posted:

Beat the one legendary duo trial with Zack after many tries. Not enjoyable. Trying the seph one but despite him being supposedly OP, his spin dash skill is very twitchy and I get knocked out of it half the time since it’s difficult to see what an enemy is doing when you’re spinning in rapid circles around him. I think I’ll end up just resorting to the Zack strategy of “let cloud do 90% of the work.”

I've often heard that people think the Zack one is harder than the Sephiroth one and I broadly agree but that's mostly because Sephiroth has magnify Barrier and Reraise. You'll often be getting infinite MP on both partners so avail of that liberally. Zack's fully combo'd High Braver is ludicrously powerful. Ironically I don't think Sephiroth has an equal to it but his triangle combos can increase stagger % and also make his fairly powerful ATB skills do a second hit which is nice. Also don't forget about Sephiroth's parries, they're fairly useful. Both characters get a tutorial VR when you unlock their missions, it's probably worth checking those out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CapnAndy posted:

I'm still at the start of Chapter 12, and I'm in a weird place mentally -- I still want to do all the minigames and new challenges they added, I really do. But a growing part of me wants this game to just loving end already. There's just too much video game here and I think they were better served by Remake's linearity forcing them to edit themselves.

I did finish off Queen's Blood, though; that was fun even if the final fight is a bullshit cheat-fest that I took one swing at and then promptly looked up a guide for. Bit weird that Regina's motivation is "I can never lose and I couldn't handle the pressure of having to keep winning" when you've canonically already beaten her at least once to get to that point, since she's a gatekeeping boss to rank up, and probably twice because anyone who bothered to complete the QB storyline would've played out the cruise ship tournament, and you beat here there too. Regina, girl, you're not the best, you can chill about that. You lose every time I meet you.

This happened to me too and so I just finished the game because now when you're revisiting all that skipped content in the postgame you get the doubled/tripled (I forget which) exp and AP gains while doing it. I ended up hitting level cap well before I even started on the harder coliseum and VR fights.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Just finished the game and now I have depression.

Overall, this is the most impressed I’ve been by a game since Elden Ring. I absolutely hated parts of it, but the parts that are good are so good it’s worth it. Kind of like the original, actually.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Can someone explain what the deal is with the closed-off area in Costa Del Sol, where there's a security guy outside telling you to piss off? He mentions something about "Club Duel", which seems to be something from an old feature phone game???

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wish there was a way to save loadouts because a lot of these Hard Mode boss fights seem to expect you to build your party around them and it's annoying to always have to manually shuffle everyone back to their standard all-rounder builds afterwards.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Thundarr posted:

Item Economizer helps a lot for that chapter 12 boss, since it lets you heal without spending ATB. Not an option in hard mode replays, though.

Item Economizer is a hugely powerful crutch to get through any story encounter before hard. Just 0 ATB revive/haste/heal/remedy almost always available.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
after you beat the game, what's the right way to see all the ch12 gold saucer dates and finish up unfinished side quests without screwing up progress and stuff?

- replay ch12 with a different person selected; beat the chapter and overwrite progress?
- once you've done this with everyone, load up ch13 and try to get as many quests and collectibles; beat the chapter and overwrite progress?

i never bothered to do this with remake, i wanna make sure i don't spend god knows how long with nothing to show for it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kliras posted:

after you beat the game, what's the right way to see all the ch12 gold saucer dates and finish up unfinished side quests without screwing up progress and stuff?

- replay ch12 with a different person selected; beat the chapter and overwrite progress?
- once you've done this with everyone, load up ch13 and try to get as many quests and collectibles; beat the chapter and overwrite progress?

i never bothered to do this with remake, i wanna make sure i don't spend god knows how long with nothing to show for it

You get credit as soon as you see the events, so you don't have to replay the entire chapter.

Note that the events also take alt outfits into account if they're equipped, but the main cutscene itself wasn't scripted with them in mind, so you may experience unexpected and inappropriate physics.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
For side quests specifically, it's kind of weird once you get chapter select. Basically the game keeps track of two different "completion states": the best result you've gotten on a given sidequest at any point in your save file, and the "current status". That second one is the one you can reset when you use chapter select. The three options you get upon chapter select boil down to "reset all sidequests back to zero", "keep current status", and "overwrite current status with the best results you've gotten so far". Completing a sidequest you never got around to, or getting a better result on it than before, will automatically permanently merge the result into your "best so far" state.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's impossible to permanently lose or overwrite progress through chapter select. if you reset sidequests the game still remembers that you cleared them on a previous playthrough and you can choose to restore quests to their completed state. the game expects you to reset sidequest progress since side quests that have battles attached to them give manuscripts for redoing them on hard mode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My assumption based on Remake is that you don't need to redo all the sidequests if you're trying to get the platinum though, since IIRC there was no trophy for getting all the manuscripts. It would certainly help, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also PSA that you can see which sidequests give hard mode manuscripts and which you've already gotten by going to the sidequest tab from the map screen.