Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

itry posted:

Imagine the amount of good games you could've bought for that.

Could have bought a freaking nes mini instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

credburn posted:

No game should have a "respec" option, or the ability to move skill points around.

It honestly makes the game boring to me, knowing there are no consequences to my upgrade choices.

counterpoint: having your character be forever subpar because you misclicked is pretty unfun

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

sirtommygunn posted:

Isn't this thread for unpopular opinions rather than facts?

I only post facts

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

Blizzard peaked with og starcraft everything else was downhill from there

Starcraft 1 is a significantly worse game than starcraft 2 and people who still go on about brood war are way way more broken than moba players

(60 days clear today wooo)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

credburn posted:

No game should have a "respec" option, or the ability to move skill points around.

It honestly makes the game boring to me, knowing there are no consequences to my upgrade choices.

OK games should only have a single save so you can't make a save before leveling up and reloading.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Vic posted:

OK games should only have a single save so you can't make a save before leveling up and reloading.

Yes! All games, not just OK games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Khanstant posted:

But what if the people who cannot abide by a perceived insignificant mistake? We got folks out here restarting games because they don't like the cheek shadows they picked out for character and you wanna make em start over because they picked up the useless Flower Sniffing perk?

solution: make a game where all the perks are equally useless

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Starcraft 1 is a significantly worse game than starcraft 2 and people who still go on about brood war are way way more broken than moba players

Yeah no Blizzard managed to gently caress that up by releasing SC2 without custom maps. LOL.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
They also took about 7 years to implement 3 races having unique mmr but I'll forgive them all transgressions because stormgate is gonna fail hard and we probably won't see another rts game until keyboards and mice are obsolete

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Like idk about the actual game I played primarily use map settings games like zergling madness or whatever weird poo poo was going on and that sort of stuff in sc2 was not nearly as cool or exciting as it was in sc1

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I used to prefer sc2, but after enough time had passed I came to my senses. A lot of brood war's flaws made it a more fun multiplayer game.

As for the single player, some of the missions in sc2 are cool but the writing is just so insanely incredibly bad and stupid. I cringed to death somewhere half way through heart of the swarm.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

counterpoint: having your character be forever subpar because you misclicked is pretty unfun

skill issue

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah no Blizzard managed to gently caress that up by releasing SC2 without custom maps. LOL.

imo this was the beginning of the end for blizzard as a well-respected development studio, pretty much everything they did after that point just further tanked their reputation. Based on the timing I tend to believe that Activision exerted too much control and in the process ruined Blizzard's ability to make good games, starting with starcraft 2. They completely kneecapped the custom map scene and in the process destroyed the main thing that kept OG Starcraft popular a decade after its release. Hearthstone was developed by what was basically an indie development team operating independently from the rest of the organization; they still had enough development talent to spin gold when the executives went hands off, but the game's financial success meant that the executives just couldn't help but heavily involve themselves so that got hosed up too.

The irony is that starcraft 2's co-op mode, which was free and came out years after the last expansion, is basically another indie effort of love like hearthstone: a small development team created a bunch of custom maps with fun new abilities, and according to blizzard it was by far their most popular multiplayer mode and caused a big uptick in players returning to the game. They could have had all of this for free if they'd just let the custom map scene happen again.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Game Dev companies should be forced to change their names once they hit an original employee turnover rate of 75%

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

they named one of the Starcraft 2 releases "wings of liberty" and people still take them seriously lol

credburn posted:

you're a monster

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
The impression I got was the wc3 map editor was the sweet spot of powerful yet easy to use. The star craft 2 one let you upload images to create a UI and change the camera angle and stuff, but it was just too complicated to be fun.

Plus I sorta think the brightly colored fantasy graphics of wc3 lent themselves to goofy custom games more than the grungy sci fi.

It kind of reminds me of the mod scene of halflife vs halflife 2. You could do more with the later game but the magic just wasn't there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

itry posted:

Imagine the amount of good games you could've bought for that.

That could have been, like, 50 pulls in an anime jpeg gacha

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MSPain posted:

It kind of reminds me of the mod scene of halflife vs halflife 2. You could do more with the later game but the magic just wasn't there.

Could that be more that you just aged out of the scene? HL2 had numerous insanely popular mods that went on to become their own games, just like HL1. Garry's Mod alone has had a ludicrous amount of interesting content over the years

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Co op starcraft 2 would have been a real winner if playing co-op rts games with random strangers had any appeal and if it didn't appeal to me then I don't have a clue who it clicked for

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuarkJets posted:

The irony is that starcraft 2's co-op mode, which was free and came out years after the last expansion, is basically another indie effort of love like hearthstone: a small development team created a bunch of custom maps with fun new abilities, and according to blizzard it was by far their most popular multiplayer mode and caused a big uptick in players returning to the game. They could have had all of this for free if they'd just let the custom map scene happen again.

Not to nitpick you Quark but the coop missions came out about a year before the last expansion pack. (Late 2015 -> November 2016)

Not to defend their release schedule, it was badly handled

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

That could have been, like, 50 pulls in an anime jpeg gacha

Or, like, 5 copies of Orc Massage.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Not to nitpick you Quark but the coop missions came out about a year before the last expansion pack. (Late 2015 -> November 2016)

Not to defend their release schedule, it was badly handled

Looking up the details, Legacy of the Void came out in November 2015 - apparently the mode released with the last expansion pack, but most of the maps and interesting commanders came along later

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The best thing to do in starcraft was to play 2v2 matches with your buddy on the PC next you but on the other team and then switch your allegiances when you attack the other guys base and your mate moves to help "defend" his ally lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I played Warcraft 3 multiplayer very casually and it was fun but I had a strict policy, the second you lay into me like an rear end in a top hat (constructive criticism was fine) I would shift my strategy into building lumber mills and only lumber mills

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuarkJets posted:

Looking up the details, Legacy of the Void came out in November 2015 - apparently the mode released with the last expansion pack, but most of the maps and interesting commanders came along later

Oh poo poo you are right I would have sworn legacy came out as I was starting a new job but looking at November 2016 releases I appear to have replaced all my memories of final fantasy 15 with starcraft memories lmao

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

found my old "A Skyrealms of Jorune Adventure: ALIEN LOGIC" disc, time to boot up DOSBox and find out just how rose-tinted those ol' glasses are

edit: and the scratch on the CD made it install bad, now it's gonna be a big ol' ordeal. Evidently it is not an easy game to get running, which I remember being the case even back in the day. :argh: SSI

i loved this game though

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 31, 2024

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Could that be more that you just aged out of the scene? HL2 had numerous insanely popular mods that went on to become their own games, just like HL1. Garry's Mod alone has had a ludicrous amount of interesting content over the years

Really? I know GM was big but I can't think of a single other hl2 mod that was any good.

Fake edit: how could I forget E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy? That was a great mental illness simulator

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Hidden was awesome

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Broodwar was better than StarCraft tho

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Broodwar was better than StarCraft tho

everyone who says "starcraft" means starcraft broodwar

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Blizzard was hosed the moment world of warcraft dropped and started making insane amounts of money.

But also a bunch of Blizzard nostalgia flows from the fact that they employed really good AV artists at the time when games were going through puberty.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Blizzard games aren't very good, but their UIs define genres

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Has Blizzard every brought Blackthorne into any of their other games? Is there Blackthorne lore?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Fur20 posted:

solution: make a game where all the perks are equally useless

I love the RPG boss in Kirby Super Star who when you defeat it you level up which increases your Puffiness, Friendship, and Roundness stats.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Blizzard just need to stop putting glowing swirls on stuff. There's probably other things they can stop but my minds a blank.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blizzard should stop making bad games

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vic posted:

Blizzard was hosed the moment world of warcraft dropped and started making insane amounts of money.

But also a bunch of Blizzard nostalgia flows from the fact that they employed really good AV artists at the time when games were going through puberty.

Videogames were hosed that moment. That's when all the investors turned their heads because they learned some suckers will pay full price for a game and then keep paying monthly on top and hmm wonder what else they'll pay for.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

Videogames were hosed that moment. That's when all the investors turned their heads because they learned some suckers will pay full price for a game and then keep paying monthly on top and hmm wonder what else they'll pay for.

There was also a solid 3-5 years where every single game cribbed the WoW look.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

found my old "A Skyrealms of Jorune Adventure: ALIEN LOGIC" disc, time to boot up DOSBox and find out just how rose-tinted those ol' glasses are

edit: and the scratch on the CD made it install bad, now it's gonna be a big ol' ordeal. Evidently it is not an easy game to get running, which I remember being the case even back in the day. :argh: SSI

i loved this game though

That game was a bit of a mess, but because they put it into every collection I think I have three copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

MSPain posted:

The impression I got was the wc3 map editor was the sweet spot of powerful yet easy to use. The star craft 2 one let you upload images to create a UI and change the camera angle and stuff, but it was just too complicated to be fun.

Plus I sorta think the brightly colored fantasy graphics of wc3 lent themselves to goofy custom games more than the grungy sci fi.

This was my experience. The sc1 editor was really easy to use and the wc3 editor was more difficult but still easy enough so you had a ton of random yet fun custom maps because anyone could try. Literally invented tower defense and mobas.

Sc2 editor was much more powerful but also way more difficult to use/learn plus it wasn't colorful or bright at all so even if you did make a custom game it just wasn't fun and didn't look appealing.

Also brood war is so fun to watch at a high level, that game pretty much created what is modern day esports. Literal 13 year old Koreans completely dominating a game was so crazy, too. UC Berkeley even had a professor teach a competitve starcraft class.

sc2 on the other hand is so boring in comparison. Nevermind the actual game itself being kinda bad, too.