Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
The Horus Heresy models are so much better than regular 40k but their pricing is insane even by Gee-Dub standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vampire Panties posted:

The Horus Heresy models are so much better than regular 40k but their pricing is insane even by Gee-Dub standards

That was true back in the old days when it was all resin and you were paying like 50 bucks for five guys. But now most of the main guys you'd want in any Marines army is in plastic, and the prices are in some cases better than 40k models.

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/Space-Marines-Primaris-Intercessors-2020?queryID=f939a3263a9c53585c2bd1cb689f3ecb

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/horus-heresy-legion-astartes-mk3-tactical-squad-2023?queryID=9b75b6598f87f8a7f9fe070b8716f946

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

That was true back in the old days when it was all resin and you were paying like 50 bucks for five guys. But now most of the main guys you'd want in any Marines army is in plastic, and the prices are in some cases better than 40k models.

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/Space-Marines-Primaris-Intercessors-2020?queryID=f939a3263a9c53585c2bd1cb689f3ecb

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/horus-heresy-legion-astartes-mk3-tactical-squad-2023?queryID=9b75b6598f87f8a7f9fe070b8716f946

although tbh I've bought plastic space barbies twice and got as far as assembling them before I gave up. I'm not falling for those tricks again

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the vibe he's just got a pretty well functioning fight-or-flight reflex and is also having to constantly calculate the risk of the threat in front of him vs behind him.

Cain's alright but the series has kinda dragged-on with beating the "Cain claims to act cowardly but ends up saving the day; also Jurgen shoots someone with a meltagun" dead horse over and over. The first omnibus is great, though.

Also all the Necron-perspective novels are dynamite.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Hollismason posted:

Oh drat GW ended Forgeworld. What the gently caress. I remember the Horus Heresy books and models looking amazing.
Seems like they just dropped the branding.

some redditor seems legit though posted:

they are now available on warhammer dot com, you can identify them by the 'Expert Kit' tag and the 15+ detail on photos of the models

the forgeworld stuff will also be made of resin instead of plastic, and usually more expensive than mainline comparable GW units

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ran into some figures and displays in a Tokyo mall, the very excited looping commercial trying to hype me up yo play terminids of all factions made me laugh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh HELL loving yes

now THIS is what I'm talking about

THIS is stupid in an almost cool way with a power fist holding a power axe but the doofy skull peeking out of the sarcophagus is VERY dumb in a bad way and also the smoke launcher is blocking itself lmao

and just look at this STUPID FAT rear end in a top hat with his KNEES and ELBOWS

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Space Marines are basic bitches anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
then call me a gorilla because I am loving named after one of them, and a smurf no less

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Waaaaagh!!!

now dis is a stompah

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

now THIS is what I'm talking about

This dude has the absolute best rule name in any game ever

:black101:NONE MAY STAY MY WRATH:black101:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I liked the ones with the pointy houndskull helmets. Also when they basically just had the dudes from Aliens and Judge Dredds as guys you could have.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vampire Panties posted:

although tbh I've bought plastic space barbies twice and got as far as assembling them before I gave up. I'm not falling for those tricks again

You know you can go to a Warhammer store and get a free painting tutorial, right?

Disco Pope posted:

I liked the ones with the pointy houndskull helmets. Also when they basically just had the dudes from Aliens and Judge Dredds as guys you could have.

the Judge Dredd guys are back

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Improbable Lobster posted:

My favourite warhammer character is Ferrus Manus, primarch of the Iron Hands legion. Ferrus Manus, of course, means Iron Hand and the space marines of the legion/chapter replace their hands with iron bionics and follow his teachings, the Iron Creed. They're lead by the Iron Council, which is made up of 40 Iron Fathers and follow the are currently waging the Iron Crusade to save the Iron Guard of Mordia from chaos.

Still can't really compare to the Space Wolves and their utter obsession with wolves. There's a reason a meme joke I read about them was saying something like "The best way to wolf a Space wolf is to wolf his wolf. But if he wolfs his wolf first, you are wolfed."

Gripweed posted:

Corvus Korax chased the Traitors into the Warp and may now be a giant crow Daemon

And if he is, he's supposedly so good at it that Lorgar "I wanna worship SOMETHING and if dad won't let me I'll find someone else-Oops half legions go Chaos" Word Bearer (not his last name but I am not going to look it up) won't come out of his house because he's scared Corax will permakill him, or something.

TK8325 posted:

Waaaaagh!!!

now dis is a stompah

I don't know why, but I always liked the name "Killah Kan".

Just the name. I am neutral on what those actually are.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 1, 2024

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

You know you can go to a Warhammer store and get a free painting tutorial, right?

Are those Arbites? I've never heard of an arbites army in 40k, that's interesting. Maybe they're for one of the other 40k rp tabletop things? They're the federal police, so they usually come up vs genestealer or chaos cults in citywide fighting, organizing the planetary defense forces.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Charles Bukowski posted:

Are those Arbites? I've never heard of an arbites army in 40k, that's interesting. Maybe they're for one of the other 40k rp tabletop things? They're the federal police, so they usually come up vs genestealer or chaos cults in citywide fighting, organizing the planetary defense forces.

They were made for Kill Team, the skirmish game, but have rules for running them basically as allies in any Imperial 40k army. But a rumor from rumor mongers with decent track records says there’s going to be an “Agents of the Imperium” Codex coming soon that lets you build Inquisitor or Rogue Trader armies, with Arbites being a part of that.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Charles Bukowski posted:

I know there's an element of very tongue in cheek metal maximalism to WH4K, which is cool, but not my cup of tea, but this totally is. Just lovely fash cops kicking gently caress out of cultists and juves in hellhole shittowns.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gripweed posted:

Is that from Necromunda

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its from kill team, the game for peeps who want to spend $200, not $5000

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Necromunda has the Palantine Enforcers, who are the equivalent of a local precinct's SWAT team compared to the Arbites' "over-budgeted secret police" status:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
an actual different aesthetic that they have is cyberpunk early modern, which works much, much better than you'd think and also fuckin slaps

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Benagain posted:

The entire work experience rests on the back of the Grot. Theirs is the labor and drive that sends the green tide to the stars and yet they share in none of the rewards.

But it's okay, they're Grots

One of my favorite pieces of 40k is Da Red Gobbo and various worker-collective-grot stories.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 1, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
They also have a retro-50s scifi thing with Admech

(I can't post the Robits because imgur is being weird with its April Fools Day nonsense :rolleyes:)

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

These are some expensive action figures

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Smugworth posted:

Excuse me, I believe you mean these are some expensive toy soldiers. Also acceptable: little army guys.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Oh drat GW ended Forgeworld. What the gently caress. I remember the Horus Heresy books and models looking amazing.

It was merged with the main warhammer site, it technically still exists but it's no longer a seperate retailer

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

well. hmm. that's not very Redwall

I know this post is like a week old but it genuinely made me laugh

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so i am just gonna say their are good action figures of 40k now. they are made by this japanese company called Joytoy and they are loving amazing.

https://ltcave.com/
Ill take some photos of mine. I have a whole squad of sisters and krieg and a couple admech.
https://ltcave.com/collections/joytoy-1-18-preorder
https://ltcave.com/collections/1-18-joytoy-warhammer-figure

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Smugworth posted:

please. action figures implies you can do anything with them besides display them

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m a Tau, look at me, I love diplomacy, here I go, being empathetic toward other life.

*RETCON*

We are all mind controlled by evil leaders.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m a Tau, look at me, I love diplomacy, here I go, being empathetic toward other life.

*RETCON*

The worst tau retcon is they no longer invented their own weapons so they are a faction without any non mechanical identity

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ornery and Hornery posted:

*RETCON*

They walked that back. But it’s still canon that they fought against mind control worms but made peace and now some Ethereals are frequently seen with mind control worm advisors

Barudak posted:

The worst tau retcon is they no longer invented their own weapons so they are a faction without any non mechanical identity

What? Tau lore never shuts up about the latest innovation from Earth Caste scientists.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i am just gonna say their are good action figures of 40k now. they are made by this japanese company called Joytoy and they are loving amazing.

https://ltcave.com/
Ill take some photos of mine. I have a whole squad of sisters and krieg and a couple admech.
https://ltcave.com/collections/joytoy-1-18-preorder
https://ltcave.com/collections/1-18-joytoy-warhammer-figure

oh man those are cool

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

They walked that back. But it’s still canon that they fought against mind control worms but made peace and now some Ethereals are frequently seen with mind control worm advisors

What? Tau lore never shuts up about the latest innovation from Earth Caste scientists.

Apparently the latest thing is the League of Votann (new space dwarves) provided them their tech

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Hollismason posted:

I went to their website to look at all the new models and like 60% of them are like "Not available".

it's so goddamned stupid. There's a secondary scalper's market now. They're plastic toy soldiers and you've got to cop them like they're a shoyoroll gi or a bottle of pappy.

I'm sticking with 2nd edition oldhammer poo poo. I didn't have the money when I was a teenager to buy all of what I wanted, now I've got lawyer money and I can buy some old lead.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I had no idea 40K had all the classic fantasy races like halflings and giants and various beast people/furries, and most of 'em are sub-humans.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Semper humie subhumie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I had no idea 40K had all the classic fantasy races like halflings and giants and various beast people/furries, and most of 'em are sub-humans.

Abhumans, not subhumans.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

"Thrix are an abhuman strain. They possess famously lethal plumage"

That's the entire wiki entry. It sounds like an AI tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Barudak posted:

Apparently the latest thing is the League of Votann (new space dwarves) provided them their tech

That’s lame and I refuse to believe it