Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

this is the mild highly pathogenic avian influenza, it's the one you want to get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Anne Whateley posted:

Emergency dental appointment

Ugh, I hope you're able to avoid infection. I'll never understand how people are ok with medical / dental care being like this, and how doctors / dentists are totally fine with harming their patients. All of this is so unfair.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I've been in and out of the dentist's office three times since November and I've been fine so far, my dentist has these units going when I'm there, brings me in early, and masks at all times when I'm in (surgical but still). Getting there early before a full slate of patients have come through and plagued the place up is probably helpful.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

nah dog, you want H5N1 now, before the hospitals morgues get full

suggested change

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shiroc posted:

suggested change

get h5n1 now before all the good cemetery plots are taken

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the cemetery i run in/near a lot has two rows of graves at the back of the cemetery, near the BQE. they're almost exclusively for people from latino families who had some connection with the church and could get a plot for free/reduced cost in 2020. there are hundreds of them. they usually have small headstones, if any, or white wooden crosses with mementos/watering cans/cans of beer. i have never run by them without seeing at least one family visiting

so, you're not wrong

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-19-leaves-its-mark-on-the-brain-significant-drops-in-iq-scores-are

I started learning the piano a few months ago, mostly as a hobby since I no longer go anywhere. Now it might be part of my "survive covid" habit building, since learning an instrument can improve your IQ.

So far "open Biden" has gifted me with my first ever regular cardio habit as I strive to minimize my chances of long COVID. Maybe that same stressor can gift me a piano habit.

Anyone else have min/max strategies they've adopted beyond mouthwash/boosters/masking?

Learned to sew, cook, cleaned up my diet and went back to school to become a nurse so my family has someone on the inside. My anatomy and micro professor told us a story about a terrible idea he had that landed him in the hospital and some of his former students worked there, and they were like, "oh good you have dr so and so, we call the other dr Dr Infection."

So you know. Wordle every night, keeping up with school, learning French and Spanish, yardwork and weightlifting and good cooking.

And mask everywhere! I did a blacksmith class the other day and it turns out you produce a lot of metal dust. I just don't want anything in my lungs these days, Breateteq be my guide.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

"kept away from sunlight" is going to stick with me lol don't use Dr. John Dies At The End for vision care

I remember this being a thing pre-covid. Kids staying inside watching TV and reading books made them need glasses. If you limit your Google search for something combining "nearsightedness" and "outdoors" and set it for published no later than 2018 you'll get a ton of results.

Same thing for staying inside if you have seasonal allergies. It's not just a lockdown thing, but everyone's hyper-sensitive about it so all of a sudden now it is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gunshow Poophole posted:

"kept away from sunlight" is going to stick with me lol don't use Dr. John Dies At The End for vision care

sonatinas posted:

everyone addicted to their screens so nobody go a out…that’s a lockdown

They should build grow lights into smartphones so they simulate sunlight

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
as a certified absolutely disabled without corrective lenses bad eyeball haver

I don't think I was even able to read by time I was asking my parents why the numbers were fuzzy on the microwave

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Zantie posted:

I remember this being a thing pre-covid. Kids staying inside watching TV and reading books made them need glasses. If you limit your Google search for something combining "nearsightedness" and "outdoors" and set it for published no later than 2018 you'll get a ton of results.

Same thing for staying inside if you have seasonal allergies. It's not just a lockdown thing, but everyone's hyper-sensitive about it so all of a sudden now it is.

my eyesight started getting worse real soon after we got our first computer. i also lost my tan and endurance.

but i got to play doom at lot.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Strep Vote posted:

Learned to sew, cook, cleaned up my diet and went back to school to become a nurse so my family has someone on the inside. My anatomy and micro professor told us a story about a terrible idea he had that landed him in the hospital and some of his former students worked there, and they were like, "oh good you have dr so and so, we call the other dr Dr Infection."

So you know. Wordle every night, keeping up with school, learning French and Spanish, yardwork and weightlifting and good cooking.

And mask everywhere! I did a blacksmith class the other day and it turns out you produce a lot of metal dust. I just don't want anything in my lungs these days, Breateteq be my guide.

Diet is a good one. I forgot to add, we started going flexitarian. We have no-meat days, and have greatly cut back on red meat. I'm also very, very good about taking vitamins/probiotics and fiber supplements now, something I was kind of "eh" about before the pandemic. My IBS has never been better.

Weightlifting is a good idea, I just can't play videogames while I do it like I can with cardio so I wonder if I can make it stick.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
haha it's amazing that twitter can just keep getting worse and worse

we thought we'd plumbed these depths but buddy, we got MILES To go!!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Strep Vote posted:

i spend most of my workday in a woodshop. pre covid i always wore an n95, ear protection, safety glasses, etc. so did most other people!

now? I saw a coworker working with a piece of HDPE (plastic) material on a router, spraying little particles everywhere. i intervened and helped him set up a dust collector for that router, but also said "this will catch most of the larger debris, but you should put on a mask for the little bits that will float in the air"

"no man, I'm good, I'm done with masks"

I looked him dead in the eye for two seconds and just said "okay then" and made sure the whole-room collector was running full-blast

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

when kids were kept away from sunlight?

the covid lockdown oubliette strikes again

UPDATE (5/1/2020): All areas managed by the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation are now open to all visitors. Visit the Utah State Parks COVID-19 page for updated information.

Even to the extent it was like “please don’t”, it lasted all of six weeks.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

as a certified absolutely disabled without corrective lenses bad eyeball haver

I don't think I was even able to read by time I was asking my parents why the numbers were fuzzy on the microwave

Oh yeah mine's totally genetic. Couldn't read the minutes on a clock in 3rd grade after one of my teachers had the whole class look. Apparently that age is really common for it to start showing up. Same for my parents and like 90% of all the family members I've ever known.

Spent the younger years of my childhood around California and had a wicked tan. We moved up to WA right before 3rd grade and there's no way 2 months of living in the PNW did that much damage.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Apr 1, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Platystemon posted:

UPDATE (5/1/2020): All areas managed by the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation are now open to all visitors. Visit the Utah State Parks COVID-19 page for updated information.

Even to the extent it was like “please don’t”, it lasted all of six weeks.

A sports radio guy here went on a rant about how he had to go to Ohio to play golf "in the pandemic year" because the government shut all the golf courses down and ruined the industry in PA

Anyway

quote:

As everyone has heard, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf has allowed the reopening of golf in the Commonwealth on Friday, May 1.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A sports radio guy here went on a rant about how he had to go to Ohio to play golf "in the pandemic year" because the government shut all the golf courses down and ruined the industry in PA

There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

jetz0r posted:

my eyesight started getting worse real soon after we got our first computer. i also lost my tan and endurance.

Could it be the Sega Genesis I got for my birthday? No. It mustn't be Sonic's fault.

Griz
May 21, 2001

jetz0r posted:

I needed glasses in first grade and I didn't even have a computer then

re: sunlight everyone north of DC should be taking vit D supplements, that's why they have vitamin D fortified milk and orange juice

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol the latest HPAI review literature doesn't even have cattle listed as hosts

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1477893923000984

swine, sure!

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/30/4/23-1141_article

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol the latest HPAI review literature doesn't even have cattle listed as hosts

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1477893923000984

Cause they weren't until last week.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Cows bunched up, humans bunched up in meat packing.

Hmmm

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8SWhBsbxmpk&si=zq7BdXuzFqXXBjTv

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Crazypoops posted:

Cows bunched up, humans bunched up in meat packing.

Hmmm

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8SWhBsbxmpk&si=zq7BdXuzFqXXBjTv

naw come on it's more like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR_4h5A5z_A

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I haven't been super paying attention but once this is transmittable between humans which it's going to be it's going to be apocalyptic correct?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

nah, we have robust public health controls ready to be put into effect in the case of the outbreak of a novel new disease with high fatality rates

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Crazypoops posted:

I haven't been super paying attention but once this is transmittable between humans which it's going to be it's going to be apocalyptic correct?

Unless we get super lucky and it mutates weaker in the transmission... but yeah its pretty loving bad.

the good news is we know we can wipe out flu strains but the bad news is that there will be no political will to do it and people will behave the same as the did for covid.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
good news is nobody who frequents this thread is actually at risk from the disease itself because it's a widdle baby in terms of infectiousness

keep on keepin' (your respirator) on

... now please don't ask any further questions about the dependence of all of society on labor

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

silicone thrills posted:

people will behave the same as the did for covid.
we will bang pots and pans together at 7pm while the underclass delivers korean bbq to us

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

we will bang pots and pans together at 7pm while the underclass delivers korean bbq to us

speak for yourself. I just got really good at making food at home and buying in bulk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nah, we have robust public health controls ready to be put into effect in the case of the outbreak of a novel new disease with high fatality rates

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

silicone thrills posted:

the good news is we know we can wipe out flu strains but the bad news is that there will be no political will to do it and people will behave the same as the did for covid.

The boy who cried "it's just the flu"

I forget how the original story ended but I assume everyone lived happily ever after??!?!?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The boy who cried "it's just the flu"

I forget how the original story ended but I assume everyone lived happily ever after??!?!?

The wolf was mild

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkjXcRLNZHQ

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

if youre not a bird theres nothing to worry about, its right there in the name

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1238192553574490112

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

DickParasite posted:

Pre-covid the per-capita ethanol consumption was on the same trajectory so unsurprisingly the NYT is full of poo poo.

I believe that and I may be an outlier but COVID changed my reaction to alcohol

From the ages of 22-40 I drank 2-5 alcoholic units (1-3 strong beers usually) on average per day. That was clearly an unhealthy thing I should not have been doing, anyway, but something got hosed up during COVID, I lost my appetite for it, and now I drink NA beer instead in almost all cases. (I've also found out NA beer is possibly still slightly mood altering).

On the other hand, I also don't really seem to feel tired or hungry a lot of the time, either. I'm having to actively manage my calorie intake right now because the combined effect of lack of hunger, cessation of that level of alcohol intake, being sick for part of the winter and then very physically active for the second half is that my body fat is under 6% or something dumb, I definitely need to gain 10-15 pounds just so I don't die of malnutrition the next time I get sick.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

the comments on this thread make me think that overall we're living in the world we deserve, it just sucks for those of us who might choose a different way

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DickParasite posted:

Pre-covid the per-capita ethanol consumption was on the same trajectory so unsurprisingly the NYT is full of poo poo.

I've harped on this a lot but I feel like alcohol advertising, especially hard liquor has really loving kicked up in the last 10 years. Like you can't watch anything on TV that involves adults and not see someone pouring a whiskey or taking shots. Online, the advertising is everywhere. In person in grocery stores its everywhere. The liquor lobby and costco managed to get states to turn over state run liquor stores in WA so its easier to get and Im fairly sure this isnt the only state that has happened in.

I'm hyper sensitive to it - both my parents died from their alcoholism and both of my siblings have had to do stints in rehab. I almost feel lucky that due to my stomach issues I can't tolerate it. But especially when I was really considering how difficult it must be for my sister as she's navigating sobriety - its just everywhere.

Erica C Barnett wrote a book called Quitter about how diifficult it is to be sober as a working professional and it gets into the stats a bit around just how much advertising is pointed at professionals.