Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it is weird how credulous journalists, especially covering tech and media, are. even a surface understanding of like... the concept of communication should put a damper on the AI alarmism. people don't watch video content because it has motion and legible language. they watch it for human-to-human communication of human meaning.

edit: even if that meaning is cackling at glitches in stalker or whatever

The subtext of all of these sorts of things is that while it may not be a substitute for genuine interaction right now, the technology is rapidly advancing toward an (assumed) point at which an AI will be able to hold a conversational style to sufficient degree to emulate the real thing. That is to say, one day, maybe soon, anime will be real, and anime will talk to you.

But of course that's all assumed. People treat AI and tech as though their imagined fantasies are simply, incontrovertibly inevitable. For a lot of them it betrays a sort of hopeful quasi-optimism and held certainty that they will be able to 3D print a girlfriend to their exact specifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
We anthropomorphize pets and rocks, humans will absolutely project meaning and emotion onto random text gibberish. Look into Replika and how its breaking the brains of lonely people folks already.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Squidster posted:

We anthropomorphize pets and rocks, humans will absolutely project meaning and emotion onto random text gibberish. Look into Replika and how its breaking the brains of lonely people folks already.

I've met people that believe the power of AI is so strong that the stuff it makes up is actually it telling us things we aren't able to figure out because its mega-AI brain is making connections and leading us to conclusions so far beyond us.

Naming it AI has caused a lot of deeply stupid people to already start believing it's decades (or even infinitely) beyond where it is.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I once heard legends of a guy who believed AI should have human rights so hard he banned himself from an internet forum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PostNouveau posted:

This is akin to those AI-generated Family Guy streams. It was a novelty that was interesting for 5 minutes and now no one cares about it. There's not going to be a generation of kids growing up on this gibberish, but it might generate a few AI panic articles from like Slate or something.

The Atlantic will milk it for months.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If Replika is what I think it is I tried it for a little while on both my iPhone and their website and was baffled that it was drawing people into some sort of fantasy world. It was just as clumsy, random and repetitive as all the other programs intended to simulate realistic conversation.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i wouldn't use replika as a portent of the future since there are some people who, to use quincy jones' phrase, would gently caress a mailbox. that won't change much in the future

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a YouTube about someone trying one of those ai companion apps and it was funny how no matter what they said the ai tried to turn it sexual.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i wouldn't use replika as a portent of the future since there are some people who, to use quincy jones' phrase, would gently caress a mailbox.

https://twitter.com/dan_domenech/status/257521215479091200?s=20

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it is weird how credulous journalists, especially covering tech and media, are. even a surface understanding of like... the concept of communication should put a damper on the AI alarmism. people don't watch video content because it has motion and legible language. they watch it for human-to-human communication of human meaning.

edit: even if that meaning is cackling at glitches in stalker or whatever

Journalists are some of the dumbest people alive because the only people who can afford to become journalists are the inbred failkids of the wealthy.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

new silent hill designs got people realizing Things

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

put ur post in it

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

kazil posted:

put ur post in it

*visibly sweating*

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the only good AI generated content was the AI Seinfeld but it was ruined when they had to change all the character designs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i wouldn't use replika as a portent of the future since there are some people who, to use quincy jones' phrase, would gently caress a mailbox. that won't change much in the future
It may make the circle of people who will, without irony, marry a visual novel character somewhat wider, but I do not think we are addressing a large population in absolute terms. Of course, many of them work in tech, which means they post, so

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Tech Journalists are some of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

people don't watch video content because it has motion and legible language. they watch it for human-to-human communication of human meaning.

Haven't been around many gen alpha kids when they are getting screen time have you?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

D-Pad posted:

Haven't been around many gen alpha kids when they are getting screen time have you?

dunno what age that refers to. i've got kids fwiw but i suppose they're not teens if that's what you mean

to be clear i'm not talking about how everybody wants to watch quality cinema all the time or something. it sounds grandiose but it seems impossible to phrase it in a down to earth way. basically I'm referring to a very low baseline. tiktokers hocking a line of crowdfunded anime t-shirts or whatever counts.

Deep Glove Bruno has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Apr 1, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

apatheticman posted:

Tech Journalists are some of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I've met people that believe the power of AI is so strong that the stuff it makes up is actually it telling us things we aren't able to figure out because its mega-AI brain is making connections and leading us to conclusions so far beyond us.

Naming it AI has caused a lot of deeply stupid people to already start believing it's decades (or even infinitely) beyond where it is.

ah, rip Rutibex

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:stare:

https://twitter.com/speederaserhead/status/1774596269769478650?s=20

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I remember following her on early Twitter when she was posting about her cancer treatments and stuff and then I got off of Twitter and came back to see that she was in remission and had also become completely insane

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Good lord

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Man his actual fuckin pants caught fire on the way out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Heath posted:

Man his actual fuckin pants caught fire on the way out

Liar.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
When stuntmen had sideburns and burning pants

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Kids watch things I don't like so that means they lack the ability to exercise judgement and they will therefore be sucked in by anything that hits their eye holes.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the only good AI generated content was the AI Seinfeld but it was ruined when they had to change all the character designs.

Hey! I made a cryptid that broke Bruce Sterling's brain for about six months. That has to count for something.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Reminds me of this stunt in THX-1138: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nmxHjPuvY&t=152s
It wasn't supposed to go that hard, I think the stuntman was just meant to fall off his bike. Apparently George Lucas was pissed because people rushed in from off-camera to help the stuntman and he was worried it'd ruin the great shot.

See also the Mad Max unintentional stunt where the stuntman caught his foot on the car, causing him to flip over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oo5vMlulCs

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

minato posted:

Reminds me of this stunt in THX-1138: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nmxHjPuvY&t=152s
It wasn't supposed to go that hard, I think the stuntman was just meant to fall off his bike. Apparently George Lucas was pissed because people rushed in from off-camera to help the stuntman and he was worried it'd ruin the great shot.

See also the Mad Max unintentional stunt where the stuntman caught his foot on the car, causing him to flip over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oo5vMlulCs

I'd read that it was the stuntman that was angry with people running in to the shot.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chip Cobb's early work still stands up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_da33g5ac

Tora! Tora! Tora! had a near miss stunt make it into the film. Plane was supposed to taxi down the runway and explode at the end of it, and it hooked hard left and ran towards the stunt performers instead

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/BisqueBoi/status/1774568256290074642

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM2Q3IOoOOg

Terrible Erik Estrada movie from the 80s, Light Blast, also has some absolutely bonkers stunts.

There's also the James Bond knock off Order of the Black Eagle which has a stunt man get his head run over by an ATV on camera.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

...what the gently caress is an esports arena? Are they bringing back pc gaming cafes? I hope so

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://x.com/almacon_/status/1774878238315339887?s=20

LOL at it next to the wall of honor

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Milo and POTUS posted:

...what the gently caress is an esports arena?

It's like a regular arena, only the competitors are generally of robust carriage

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

for the love of god

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

F

Verification can consumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU