Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Ended up dicking around instead of going inside the main house in the nameless village and it turns out my natural instinct to scope out things -besides- the main roads at all times paid me huge dividends. Also knowing how to figure out the platforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, in case anyone is curious, if you don't do the Readvent of Calamity quests, the later Havre Village quests end up with the racist mayor just kicking out poor Fyoran and the other Beastren.

I spent a while confused and wondering if I could have somehow done something different or if there would be a later quest, but it turns out I had made the key mistake a very long time ago.

So I did the same, but I finished the Ulrika chain afterwards and she brought them back.
I did find it funny he was blaming the beastren, when the reason I was even in Harve was to help the vermund guards tool around in that very cave. Yeah man, the lizards are upset at the guy who poked around a little, not the person who murdered their way through the entire thing, twice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Found the misty woods area with low visibility, a bunch of undead, a hidden gryphon nesting on top of a portcrystal and a bridge to a gallows wight. that was a really cool area. more of that please.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vargs posted:

They seem pretty crap compared to other pawn vocations. If you want a ranged damage-dealer and don't mind not being able to see anything, take a Sorcerer with Maelstrom and Augural Flare. It'll put in 20x the work of an Archer.

This is a weird opinion to me because I would switch those around, Sorcerer pawns are theoretically powerful, but they hardly ever seem to cast their spells. I've been running with a level 74 (non-goon) Sorcerer for a while now, and she just barely seems to do anything. I don't know if it's a stamina issue or what. Plus, I actually really don't like not being able to see poo poo. Meanwhile, my Archer pawn might not be as flashy, but she's pretty reliable when it comes to hitting boss weak points or bailing me out when I'm pinned down.

She does occasionally get stuck in a loop of running back and forth without doing anything, which might be what you're seeing more often for whatever reason. I have wondered how inclination comes into play, if it does and I'm not giving Capcom too much credit. Calm makes sense for an archer, but maybe it makes them spend too much time trying to get away from the enemy.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Also my pawn was fairly popular but never got the pawn disease so I need to look into that and why everyone was so upset over it.

I am baffled that this was an issue for people, every time my pawn got the red eyes they were gone by the next rest, and once even without resting. I had decided to let it progress to see what would happen, but it seemingly always went away on its own.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 2, 2024

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Stupid question time: Rolled into NG+ and decided for funsies to change my pawn's inclination. Except I miss her complete smart-assery, so I want to change her back. Bought a bag of magic cocaine fairy dust and it says "can only be used in camp" but I can't use it anywhere. What's the trick?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm 70 hours into the game and I'm yet to see the dragonblight yet.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

I am baffled that this was an issue for people, every time my pawn got the red eyes they were gone by the next rest, and once even without resting. I had decided to let it progress to see what would happen, but it seemingly always went away on its own.

I only ever saw one pawn in my party with the plague, way in the endgame where I don't think it even matters anymore. It's possible that there were others that I just didn't notice but I don't think there were since the thing that twigged me on to that one pawn being infected was some new lines of dialogue I hadn't heard before despite being very deep into the game and having heard the same pawn lines dozens of times over already. I am not really sure if "the thing" can happen if any pawn in your party is infected, or only if your main pawn has it, but apparently one way for the plague to be cured is for a pawn to pass it off to someone else in your party, like the sex ghost from It Follows, and this can happen randomly, which is probably what happened to you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I'm 70 hours into the game and I'm yet to see the dragonblight yet.

Same (dunno if it's 70 hours, but I've definitely played a lot without encountering it).

I kind of hope I encounter it just to see what it's like. The idea of my cheerful himbo pawn suddenly becoming edgy and uncooperative is very funny.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the especially funny thing about the dragonblight is that the warning lines are, like, the most obvious klaxons in the world. i think people imagine it's them getting generically grumpy or tempermental in an easy to miss way, but they'll straight up say poo poo like "yeah it feels like i've got some kind of unnatural, alien power flowing through me" post-battle

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A calm pawn going gently caress STRATEGY, WE ARE MIGHTY AND WILL CRUSH ALL BEFORE US

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Trickster fashion sure is a whole thing, isn't it. I also wasn't expecting that the default role of the job is... tank? At least it sounds like all you start out with is ways to attract attention to you.

Trickster is essentially a tank, yeah. entire thing is focused around getting everything to hit your ghost instead of your pawns or you and then buffing your pawns up

honestly it's pretty fun and ita bsolutely dumpsters everything, the pawn damage buff is way higher than it should be

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ran into a drake in the middle of the night while trying to level up new vocations for me and my main pawn. Turned into an absolute shitstorm but we managed to get it down to 2 pips of health left and I was starting to feel we'd worked out a good rotation of attacks to keep it on the back foot... and a loving Griffon flew by and went,"Oh poo poo I have GOT to get in on that action!" and that lead to a horrific series of midadventures that left me dead and having to reload my old save :gonk:

Anyway, later I went to the griffon's house and beat the poo poo out of him to teach him a lesson :colbert:

RubberLuffy posted:

I somehow missed Myrddin and his house in my first run but found him in NG+. He locked me out of his house so I jumped onto the balcony and went in through the second floor, but this really made him mad so he tried to kill me. I left the way I came and thought things were okay, but when I went by his front door again he came out and yelled at me then my Thief pawn jumped on him and stabbed him to death.

I just ran into this quest, he told me to go find some books (I had just sold half of them because "when am I ever gonna use these books?" :doh:) and my pawn said,"Hey I know where one of those is, follow me!" so I followed them... back into the house, where Mryddin told me to gently caress off for trying to rifle through his things. Thanks pawn! I hope I haven't hosed myself!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I've had it about twice in NG+ now. The red eyes are pretty noticeable if the pawn isn't wearing a full helmet. You are "cured" of dragonsplague once it passes on to another pawn (or if you brine/fail to revive your personal pawn if it has it) so what happens is it will bounce around your party. So your pawn might have it, pass it on to pawn 1, after a bit it might hit your main pawn again, etc. As long as you dismiss the hireable pawn when it's the one that has it you are safe from any ill effects.

It also seems to "build up" very slowly. It starts with just the red eyes and then you'll slowly get the altered AI/dialogue (which makes it more noticeable) but just getting to that state takes a while and I have only had a pawn go "I know better than you!" just once and I was already aware that the plague was kicking around my pawns, I just hadn't bothered replacing them yet.

Maybe it's possible to hire a pawn that has an advanced form of it, but I honestly have absolutely no clue how people let it get to town-ending levels bad because it seems like it takes a long time to ever get to that point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That makes it even more baffling how much you have to ignore the system for it to become enough of a problem to go online and bitch about it.

It seems like if you're constantly changing pawns, as you should be doing in the first place, then you simply won't have any issues with dragonblight.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my rule to live by: if they start to whine, it's time for brine

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Well...some kind of adaptive difficulty system has been confirmed by the modders. It seemingly has 5 levels and it seems to get easier when you die, but we don't know yet what it actually does.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Well...some kind of adaptive difficulty system has been confirmed by the modders. It seemingly has 5 levels and it seems to get easier when you die, but we don't know yet what it actually does.

hopefully that means they can enable something to swing it in the other direction, although you'd probably have to add some truly silly stat boosts to even make a dent in the challenge

i think the easiest way to keep the difficulty at a more even keel is to avoid having a sorc at all and just keep a mage around for elemental buffs/damage. even if maelstrom wasn't a boss mulcher, high hagol is good enough on its own to completely trivialize, like, 95% of the game's encounters, bosses included

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Ironically a bit subtle from just the screenshot at a glance, but her normal eyes are yellow and the red sorta flashes in game. (Also I just wanted to post my arisen/pawn :3: Currently leveling trickster... urgh)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Thundarr posted:

Trickster fashion sure is a whole thing, isn't it. I also wasn't expecting that the default role of the job is... tank? At least it sounds like all you start out with is ways to attract attention to you.

It is a tank where you buff your pawns and make them take constant health damage

And then you can put floors to make small creatures trip or fall

or a wall that makes creatures walk around it or just ignore it because pathfinding is hard

or a dragon that just makes small creatures flee

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Clocks posted:

I've had it about twice in NG+ now. The red eyes are pretty noticeable if the pawn isn't wearing a full helmet. You are "cured" of dragonsplague once it passes on to another pawn (or if you brine/fail to revive your personal pawn if it has it) so what happens is it will bounce around your party. So your pawn might have it, pass it on to pawn 1, after a bit it might hit your main pawn again, etc. As long as you dismiss the hireable pawn when it's the one that has it you are safe from any ill effects.

It also seems to "build up" very slowly. It starts with just the red eyes and then you'll slowly get the altered AI/dialogue (which makes it more noticeable) but just getting to that state takes a while and I have only had a pawn go "I know better than you!" just once and I was already aware that the plague was kicking around my pawns, I just hadn't bothered replacing them yet.

Maybe it's possible to hire a pawn that has an advanced form of it, but I honestly have absolutely no clue how people let it get to town-ending levels bad because it seems like it takes a long time to ever get to that point.

It happened to me but only after I got forced rested by Ragnall and in Harve and then went for a clean Inn save

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Trickster fills a pure tank and support role.
It's a shame that it's not particularly efficient or that fun but it is a really cool idea.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I am not really sure if "the thing" can happen if any pawn in your party is infected, or only if your main pawn has it, but apparently one way for the plague to be cured is for a pawn to pass it off to someone else in your party, like the sex ghost from It Follows, and this can happen randomly, which is probably what happened to you.

I am also pretty sure that that's what happened. Thing is, of course I had support pawns with me, nearly everyone does, so how is anyone's main pawn ever progressing to the later stages of this disease if they can just pass it to them? The only way I could see it happen is if you let your main pawn get infected, and then dismiss the support pawns. Which you might do if you suspect that they gave your pawn the disease, but most people would just hire new ones afterwards.

Vermain posted:

the especially funny thing about the dragonblight is that the warning lines are, like, the most obvious klaxons in the world. i think people imagine it's them getting generically grumpy or tempermental in an easy to miss way, but they'll straight up say poo poo like "yeah it feels like i've got some kind of unnatural, alien power flowing through me" post-battle

Yes, it is very difficult to miss unless maybe you just don't know that the Dragonblight is a thing that exists, but pawns explicitly tell you about it all the time. Spoilered for those who might want to encounter this on their own:

Bonus my pawn being a dumbass:

What the hell are you talking about, I am the Arisen, and you should know this as we've spent dozens of hours together

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There really is no way to improve the trickster maister skill

making enemies flinch or flee is about all it can do

and it is so bad against anything large

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I wonder if my current pawn isn't getting as many rentals because he has glowing eyes by default.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Stupid question time: Rolled into NG+ and decided for funsies to change my pawn's inclination. Except I miss her complete smart-assery, so I want to change her back. Bought a bag of magic cocaine fairy dust and it says "can only be used in camp" but I can't use it anywhere. What's the trick?

idk about the bags but you could just spend 500 RC for the book of metamorphosis which lets you fully recustomize your pawn, which seemingly includes inclination.

Phlegmish posted:

This is a weird opinion to me because I would switch those around, Sorcerer pawns are theoretically powerful, but they hardly ever seem to cast their spells.

She does occasionally get stuck in a loop of running back and forth without doing anything, which might be what you're seeing more often for whatever reason. I have wondered how inclination comes into play, if it does and I'm not giving Capcom too much credit.

Mine is Straightforward and he seems to cast nonstop. I do always run a Fighter tank with Shield Summons to help peel aggro though. I'm also playing a Sorcerer myself, so perhaps he's learned from me. And he runs Meteoron/Maelstrom/Hagol/Flare, so everything he can cast is pretty high impact. Oh, and I've modded the game so enemies take 1/3 damage, which I suppose gives casters more time to get their spells off.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 2, 2024

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Vermain posted:

hopefully that means they can enable something to swing it in the other direction, although you'd probably have to add some truly silly stat boosts to even make a dent in the challenge

i think the easiest way to keep the difficulty at a more even keel is to avoid having a sorc at all and just keep a mage around for elemental buffs/damage. even if maelstrom wasn't a boss mulcher, high hagol is good enough on its own to completely trivialize, like, 95% of the game's encounters, bosses included

Genuinely I think with the way power levels are right now, the game was ABSOLUTELY not balanced around three pawns and the player. I know they say it was, but it super wasn't. I think the best option is to just give every boss monster like three more health bars or something, so at least it's FUN to play sorcerer and not "fight something and watch it die before your cast goes off"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I spent 70 hours attacking the tails of the rock lizards before I realized what their actual weakness was and now I feel loving stupid.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

A calm pawn going gently caress STRATEGY, WE ARE MIGHTY AND WILL CRUSH ALL BEFORE US

It is funny that the symptoms are described by your pawns as "an unruly attitude and overconfidence" because like, my dude you are a straightforward pawn, that is what you are like literally 100% of the time, how would I tell the difference.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I spent 70 hours attacking the tails of the rock lizards before I realized what their actual weakness was and now I feel loving stupid.

After 90 hours I still have no idea what their weakness is.

In the first game my stupidity wouldn't have been a problem since my pawns would constantly be giving me tips

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rock lizards have soft underbellies, so forcing them to roll over and then heavy attacking them is ideal. they're usually found near loose boulders and a single one to the dome will stagger them

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Already hit 2.5 mil sales https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e240402.html

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

rock lizards have soft underbellies, so forcing them to roll over and then heavy attacking them is ideal. they're usually found near loose boulders and a single one to the dome will stagger them

I knew about the underbellies, I just had no idea how to get them to roll over as a Thief. Ineffectually attacking their tails was the best I could think of. I will try the boulder-throwing method :tipshat:

Not a Capcom guy, how does this compare to their other fare? My guess is that it did particularly well on PC, I know for me personally that this is the only Capcom game I've ever been interested in, other than Yakuza 0 and Infinite Wealth.

e: I keep typing Capcop instead of Capcom

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I knew about the underbellies, I just had no idea how to get them to roll over as a Thief. Ineffectually attacking their tails was the best I could think of. I will try the boulder-throwing method :tipshat:

Not a Capcom guy, how does this compare to their other fare? My guess is that it did particularly well on PC, I know for me personally that this is the only Capcom game I've ever been interested in, other than Yakuza 0 and Infinite Wealth.

e: I keep typing Capcop instead of Capcom

RE4make did 4 mil in a 2 week timespan, so supposing a healthy Wednesday it's around 2/3-3/4 of that. 8 shipped 3 mil in like a week but that's a different metric and Street Fighter 6 only hit 3 mil at the start of this year

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Capcom is one of the few that actually provide sales numbers https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html So DD2 currently has sold slightly more than Dino Crisis, RE4 PS2 version and the PS4 / XBone version of Dark Arisen

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I knew about the underbellies, I just had no idea how to get them to roll over as a Thief.

Implicate

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The way enemies mostly ignore each other is really annoying.

Just had a cart trip that pitted me against a group of hobgoblins, a pack of wolves, a griffon, an ogre and a flock of harpies at the same time and I don't think I saw any in-fighting at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vermain posted:

Yeah, I was speculating about whether my pawn might have gotten it since he uncharacteristically made some sarcastic comment along the lines of "looks like I have to pick up the slack as usual, what's new," but other than that one line has been acting totally normal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jack Trades posted:

The way enemies mostly ignore each other is really annoying.

Just had a cart trip that pitted me against a group of hobgoblins, a pack of wolves, a griffon, an ogre and a flock of harpies at the same time and I don't think I saw any in-fighting at all.

I will see them fight among each other if I'm not close enough for them to notice the party, but the moment they do they all seem to do the Arnold Schwarzenegger/Carl Weathers handshake and team up to fight me. :smith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
can pawns be magick archers this time around?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^^ No. No Magic Archer, Mystic Spear, Trickster, or Warfarer pawns

I had a miserable fight against a Drake earlier where it was positioned in such a way that my camera kept making it hard to see where the gently caress I was whenever I tried to climb it. I won, but had to use two wakestones because I couldn't see anything at the end when he was casting all the meteors (while it would have been easy if I was playing most other vocations I've tried).

It didn't help that I was a Fighter with a fire weapon and two of my pawns were casters who spammed fire attacks and Frigor and the other was a Warrior with good stats but the loving launch ability (that he also spammed constantly instead of doing damage, like that other Warrior from a while back).

Speaking of Frigor - please don't give this to your Mage/Sorceror pawns people. It sucks rear end when ice is constantly filling the screen and making it impossible to see anything. The Mage fire spell is also pretty bad in this regard, especially at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Okay so the one I saw on the road was someone cheating, that's a shame. I got exciting thinking I could make my pawn one without cheating.

I had similar problems with a drake I fought last night, its wings make it so hard to see and the weakpoint can be super finnicky to hit because horizontal strikes will just hit the arms or chest around it instead.

I will never take frigor off my pawn though, sorry.