Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
people keep saying "custom games" but all i hear is "tower defense "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
I still watch pro brood war in the year 2024 even though I havent fired up starcraft in a decade

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
getting moderately good at StarCraft was rewarding and I wouldn't unspend those hours practicing, but I would not liken the experience to playing video games

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
We were making what was effectively "tower defense" games as far back as Warcraft II (custom maps designed to be filled with towers while waves of enemies rushed through a maze), and we DEFINITELY were doing it in Starcraft (we called them Starship Troopers maps or Bunker Defense maps, I think) I hate when I hear people say tower defense came from Warcraft 3. You're like a full seven years off, you dang kids.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Videogames were hosed that moment. That's when all the investors turned their heads because they learned some suckers will pay full price for a game and then keep paying monthly on top and hmm wonder what else they'll pay for.

Everquest had already done that, but it was only very successful whereas people blew the fuckin' doors off of Blizzard HQ with how much money got dumped into World of Warcraft.

I will forever be bitter that Asheron's Call, the MMO that basically released a free expansion every month and sometimes had devs playing as boss characters showing up in town to rain meteors on people, wound up not being as successful as Everquest or WOW.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
EverQuest owned

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vampire Panties posted:

There was also a solid 3-5 years where every single game cribbed the WoW look.

It's still happening.

The WoW look is the default art style for a ridiculous number of mobile games.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Fallout 4 would have been better if you got to Speak as Shroud everywhere. In the Institute, to Eldet Maxson, to the Railroad... just Speak as Shroud all day every day

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The WoW look is probably the best art style from games in the past 20 years

gently caress guys don't make me play wow again, i only just bought diablo 2 remastered.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Everquest had already done that, but it was only very successful whereas people blew the fuckin' doors off of Blizzard HQ with how much money got dumped into World of Warcraft.

I will forever be bitter that Asheron's Call, the MMO that basically released a free expansion every month and sometimes had devs playing as boss characters showing up in town to rain meteors on people, wound up not being as successful as Everquest or WOW.

Asherons Call deserved better. There still hasnt been anything like it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The WoW look is probably the best art style from games in the past 20 years

gently caress guys don't make me play wow again, i only just bought diablo 2 remastered.

Not gonna lie when I was 15 the game looked amazing in the sense that it was a creative way of having low (even for the time) polycount models look good.

It being copied by others wasn't Blizzard's fault. But Blizzard then made this art style inform all their games from then on. As a result all blizzard games and all other games copying that style made it into a generic unexciting ubiquitous thing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Starcraft 2 is a far better designed game than broodwar but RTS games were kind of old hat by that point.

Mobas didn't kill RTS games, Total War did, they kinda took out the casual audience who's there to watch a bunch of people go and see zillions of people on screen fighting.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

fridge corn posted:

EverQuest owned

every other mmo is lame in comparison to everquest. EQ is the scariest game I've ever played.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Random Stranger posted:

That game was a bit of a mess, but because they put it into every collection I think I have three copies.

It was a mess but it was really cool and really experimental, the art direction was great and the setting is pretty neat. My copy has the Jorune compendium or whatever on it, but it only runs in Win95.
I also have not gotten it running, yet, across multiple disc images and the disc in DOSBox. A bit of a mess in-game, a total loving mess as far as software is concerned.
I do remember I spent about a month trying to get it to work on our old computer before it magically worked one day and then stopped working like 3 months later when my dad installed something, so this is a very accurate recreation of my now poo poo-tinted glasses.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 + Phantom Liberty is one of the best games ever made.

Turbo Overkill does what DOOM Eternal was aiming for but far better.

A game console is always going to be better value for money than a gaming PC no matter how much members of the so called “PCMR” try and claim otherwise.

Thank you and god bless.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panzeh posted:

Starcraft 2 is a far better designed game than broodwar but RTS games were kind of old hat by that point.

Mobas didn't kill RTS games, Total War did, they kinda took out the casual audience who's there to watch a bunch of people go and see zillions of people on screen fighting.

I'd say MOBAs, esports RTSes, and total war each ripped the target RTS audience apart enough that each of them are "dead" industries with zero room for growth.

Starcraft 2 is definitively the best RTS as we normally conceive of them but gently caress playing that game, I'd rather play a game that's fun. I love the Total war games and would never play a MOBA game. But for a brief time, all 3 of those games were contained within the same box: warcraft 3.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
RTS games died when they couldn't make cut scenes with Kane in them anymore.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
My biggest complaint against RTSs is they've all devolved into APM clickfests or rock-paper-scissor unit matchups. I'm really interested in the new Planetary Annihilation game because it seems like designing a better economy will have direct benefits in game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The entire Total War series sucks rear end with the exception of the Warhammer ones, they barely get a pass because they have skeletons

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

every other mmo is lame in comparison to everquest. EQ is the scariest game I've ever played.

Sneaking through kithicor forest at night... :skeltal:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

The entire Total War series sucks rear end with the exception of the Warhammer ones, they barely get a pass because they have skeletons

Yeah, who could argue otherwise

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I seriously don't understand why people play skeletonless videogames.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The total war games piqued with the shogun fmvs

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

been playing some Dragon Quest 11 and it's fun, I just beat Jarvis, don't think I'm very far in at all, but I'm wondering, does it get substantially harder? Cuz so far this has been a breeze. Most of the enemies run from me, and I haven't done any grinding or anything. Even the puzzles so far are super simple "we need to do this, the solution is 10 steps away, if it's a hard puzzle the answer may be around a corner" type stuff.

Also, does the requisite pedobait "I look like I'm 8 but I'm actually 18" girl ever grow up, or will I have that creepy poo poo hanging over my head the whole game?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

been playing some Dragon Quest 11 and it's fun, I just beat Jarvis, don't think I'm very far in at all, but I'm wondering, does it get substantially harder? Cuz so far this has been a breeze. Most of the enemies run from me, and I haven't done any grinding or anything. Even the puzzles so far are super simple "we need to do this, the solution is 10 steps away, if it's a hard puzzle the answer may be around a corner" type stuff.

Also, does the requisite pedobait "I look like I'm 8 but I'm actually 18" girl ever grow up, or will I have that creepy poo poo hanging over my head the whole game?

The main game difficulty peaks with Dora In Grey who is about 4 bosses or so away from where you are. There is a shitload of optional content that is a significant step up, mind you.

They will do stuff with the child girl character that moderately interesting and not in some perv way.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
As soon as it was revealed one of the girls is actually an adult in a child's body, I was waiting for the pervy shoe to drop but it never happens

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

I seriously don't understand why people play skeletonless videogames.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I quit DQ11 when I got to a town that was a long straight line with multiple zone transitions and the quest was to run back and forth from end to end like ten times. gently caress OFF.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Unpopular videogame opinion video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w70Xc9CStoE

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

They changed the text from bright red

You died!

You lost a level!

because too many people were spazzing out and they found red is a triggering colour.

Goddamn that game ruled.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vic posted:

I don't think he has much of a case for forcing basic decency from game publishers, but I wish him the best of luck because because we'll all be better off if it works.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I tried Total War a few times and it just takes so long for anything at all to happen. I don't see the appeal unless you really want to feel like an actual general in ancient Egypt or China or the Hanseatic league or whatever the hell.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Moon Monster posted:

I tried Total War a few times and it just takes so long for anything at all to happen. I don't see the appeal unless you really want to feel like an actual general in ancient Egypt or China or the Hanseatic league or whatever the hell.

*sacks Carthage 10 turns in*

GAME IS SO loving SLOW

*takes over half of Europe with your starter army*

JESUS CHRIST WON'T SOMETHING HAPPEN

Total War games are just RTS games with a very light 4X-style meta layer. If you play Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, it's the same vibe. You're not supposed to give a gently caress about the meta layer, but it does help you frame the actual game which is an RTS. The good Total War games even have monsters and magic-- it rules. Historical Total War games are a hard sell.

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 2, 2024

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think he has much of a case for forcing basic decency from game publishers, but I wish him the best of luck because because we'll all be better off if it works.

I think there's plenty a case in this, but there's no big party being affected. He's asking videogamers to sign stuff, that's like twice the amount of effort than voting with wallet.

And also people are ambivalent because we're kinda used to paying for subscriptions, but e.g. movies don't stop working once you buy them. The online service might cease to exist but that's a different thing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jokes posted:

*sacks Carthage 10 turns in*

GAME IS SO loving SLOW

*takes over half of Europe with your starter army*

JESUS CHRIST WON'T SOMETHING HAPPEN

Total War games are just RTS games with a very light 4X-style meta layer. If you play Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, it's the same vibe. You're not supposed to give a gently caress about the meta layer, but it does help you frame the actual game which is an RTS. The good Total War games even have monsters and magic-- it rules. Historical Total War games are a hard sell.

You're neglecting to mention that one turn takes an eon if a battle happens, and that the battles are pretty slow and boring.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bring back Wintermaul

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So that I can play someone's hacky edit called Pokemaul where black shadowed illidans are a whole tower tribe.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Khanstant posted:

Bring back Wintermaul

Now we're talking that was the best. I hated that the pathing always broke down near the end, but man that was a good game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Vic posted:

I just want to say, this guy makes some of the only videos I can watch on YouTube because he is willing to allow there to be a second of dead air and it's not.full.of.sudden.cuts.every.second.god.dammit.

edit: though he still has a few in this video :mad: but they're not egregious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

jokes posted:

Now we're talking that was the best. I hated that the pathing always broke down near the end, but man that was a good game.

Getting mad at the broken endgame is just your reward for not having too many noobs or leavers. I googled internal to see if somebody made a standalone or something of it (no), but the first videos were some random YouTuber and he was a frustrating noob. He would be responding to his chat while people in game are like hey I sent u gold for gas can u build, hey can u build with multiple ppl being like hey build the thing! He just ignored and blew the tower on himself. Hurt to watch.