Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just imagined typing an email while lying down and my carpals started throbbing
You need like a standing desk but rotated 90 degrees with massage table holes (no, not like that) so that you can hang your arms down and type while seeing the screen. Some spacelab poo poo.

e: One2One is now T-Mobile UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

(no, not like that)

Well, maybe sometimes like that

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Just shout at ChatGPT from your bed to write your emails

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angepain posted:

again jk rowling and the media coverage of her is just depressing. like, you don't have to be a full-blown brick-throwing trans activist to see her twitter thread's a load of poo poo, right? here are four trans people who have committed actual crimes, one of whom isn't even from scotland i guess she thought three wasn't enough. also here are six other trans women i've had spats with on twitter that i'm totally not implying are basically the same, no siree. i'm just asking questions. like, it can't be a wild and radical position to say this person is in fact rather transphobic? im in tiny train world

I, one of the richest women around, am going to spend Easter making GBS threads on trans women because it's the most fun I could possibly have!

Does she ever actually bother to do anything nice for anyone with her ridiculous piles of goblin cash? After all, she "cares" so much about cis women....

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smellmycheese posted:

I’m sure people in this thread have read Orwell’s “Down and Out in London and Paris” which explains in revolting detail how the homeless and poor were treated in this country around this time last century. This is simply a return to good old pre WW2 British values

Edit : The other big takeaway is that if you were poor in Paris you just got pissed on fairly decent red wine, whereas in England the best you could hope for was a cup of weak tea and some toast

My big takeaway was that if you're down and out in Paris then you have a job, somewhere to live, and can borrow a thousand francs from your mate back home.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Runcible Cat posted:

I, one of the richest women around, am going to spend Easter making GBS threads on trans women because it's the most fun I could possibly have!

Does she ever actually bother to do anything nice for anyone with her ridiculous piles of goblin cash? After all, she "cares" so much about cis women....

Terfbrain is a sickness

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Microplastics posted:

Terfbrain is a sickness

Yeah. I mean, she could throw Easter parties for all the women/kids in local refuges/homeless shelters, poo poo like that, but no. Hate hate hate. gently caress sake.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

She has two incurable conditions - hyper-terfism and billionairism.

And when I say incurable, I'm obviously not talking about [redacted]

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's kinda funny how she could have lived and died beloved by all, but went and torched her own legacy because of a twitter addiction

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jedit posted:

My big takeaway was that if you're down and out in Paris then you have a job, somewhere to live, and can borrow a thousand francs from your mate back home.

The book did rather come from the Johann Hari school of journalism, yes. Which is ironic because he had to give back his Orwell prize

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

"A Bit Of An Inconvenience In Paris" didn't scan well.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dead Goon posted:

“My time Cosplaying being poor but with good intentions” also didn’t quite work. Good book tho

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

smellmycheese posted:

“My time Cosplaying being poor but with good intentions” also didn’t quite work. Good book tho

I wouldn't call it cosplay, that too is unfair. Orwell did sell his own possessions before falling back on friends for money. But it was poverty tourism, and at least in the Parisian section he wasn't entirely honest with himself about how easy he had it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Been years since I read it but doesn't Orwell just write to his rich aunt to send him some cash after things start getting too tough.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's also a part of the new proposed homeless bill.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Dead Goon posted:

I imagine it would be going over the finer points of changing from Gare de Nord to Gare de Lyon

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just reading about the Israelis killing the aid workers and the Iranian generals, the shooting dead of a 12 year old kid in West Bank who was holding a firework - it's like Israel is daring the world to stop them, like a death wish.
They are completely out of control. Moshe Dayan said Israel had to behave like a mad dog so they would be too dangerous to bother. For sure they're behaving like rabid dogs.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just reading about the Israelis killing the aid workers and the Iranian generals, the shooting dead of a 12 year old kid in West Bank who was holding a firework - it's like Israel is daring the world to stop them, like a death wish.
They are completely out of control. Moshe Dayan said Israel had to behave like a mad dog so they would be too dangerous to bother. For sure they're behaving like rabid dogs.

ONE British white person has now been killed and suddenly it’s “oh. Maybe Israel are the bad guys”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Moshe Dayan needs to be reminded that when you see a mad dog, you destroy it before it can hurt anyone. Maybe not the analogy he wanted to make.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Is it illegal to voice the opinion that the state of Israel has lost its right to exist?.... because....

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Microplastics posted:

It's kinda funny how she could have lived and died beloved by all, but went and torched her own legacy because of a twitter addiction

Her plan was to have another long career with the crime novels but they're poo poo so she's got nothing better to do now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Microplastics posted:

She thinks she is beloved by all, that's the thing. At least, beloved by the people she hasn't mentally unpersoned.

She blocks anyone who criticises her so thoroughly that the twitter she sees and the lovebombing she recieves from terfs both mean that her perception of reality is that everyone loves her and thinks she's brave. Because if they don't, they get blocked. It's self-reinforcing narcissism.

It's probably a good thing twitter doesn't really work logged out because if she ever saw it she might for half a second start to question her carefully curated reality filter.

Runcible Cat posted:

She donates to / funds a few womens shelters, but only after making certain they're trans exclusionary. So even when she tries to be nice she's still a poo poo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A state doesn't lose its right to exist because of the actions of some people within the government.
But those people should be held to account, and in the case of Netanhayu and some of his closest internal allies, there should be some cells being prepared at the Hague.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Israel doesn't have the right to exist because it's an apartheid, was founded as an apartheid, is codified as an apartheid in its laws and culture and should in fact be dismantled on that basis alone, let alone the active genocide. You can repeat all that again while replacing apartheid with ethnostate.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i bet orwell had a thousand pound chair the loving fraud

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Runcible Cat posted:

Her donations are the equivalent of someone in this thread handing out a few quid to a homeless person and then making sure everyone knows that you make donations and do philanthropy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

fuctifino posted:

Is it illegal to voice the opinion that the state of Israel has lost its right to exist?.... because....

Well, this is probably the only thread in d&d where you can say that without being banned, at least.

The mods have closed the Israel thread because people were getting mad about the mass murder, rather than discussing it in the approved detached, nitpicking d&d posting style.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

e: One2One is now T-Mobile UK

(For a given value of fun) fact: One2One was originally part of Mercury which was part of Cable & Wireless. Cable & wireless sold their mobile phone business to Deusche Telekom who renamed it T-Mobile and their internet business to NTL, who became Virgin Media. Virgin Media just finished merging with O2, who were originally BT Cellnet. T-Mobile merged with Orange and became EE, who got bought by BT. So the last thirty years has, from a certain angle, been an elongated process of British private cable and BT swapping mobile phone providers.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

kingturnip posted:

A state doesn't lose its right to exist because of the actions of some people within the government.

I'm of a belief that the only solution to long-term peace would be for Palestine to become one country again, and with it, equal rights for all. South Africa managed to end their two-state apartheid fascism without the oppressed killing the oppressors, so it is possible.

Or we can continue on the same path of oppression and genocide....

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tai posted:

Her donations are the equivalent of someone in this thread handing out a few quid to a homeless person and then making sure everyone knows that you make donations and do philanthropy.

apparently the fantastic beasts royalties go to comic relief. that seems like quite a lot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does seem hard to imagine what a two state solution would look like given the entire history of Israel.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

She donates to / funds a few womens shelters, but only after making certain they're trans exclusionary. So even when she tries to be nice she's still a poo poo.

This is after campaigning to get the inclusive shelters closed down, at least in Edinburgh.

That means, as there's now a shelter, no one else can open one that might help trans women as well.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

Is it illegal to voice the opinion that the state of Israel has lost its right to exist?.... because...
I don't know if this is a sarcastic reference to something else; but illegal or not, I think it'd be a pretty poo poo thing to say or even imply Israel has 'lost its right' to exist, given how Miftan is a regular poster, has mentioned the toll people saying things like that unchallenged has had, and we've been over this so many loving times now.

Israel is a country full of people who likely want this about as much as British people want the NHS sold off. Israel as a state or country or entity is not the problem. The actions of the government and the IDF in Gaza are the problem. Anything beyond that and you're stepping on territory we have banned less liked posters for.

I get that you're outraged from watching clips of atrocities on twitter and have been banned multiple times in the other thread but please for the love of god don't let that outrage start you down the road of open antisemitism.

Renfield posted:

This is after campaigning to get the inclusive shelters closed down, at least in Edinburgh.
poo poo, I didn't know about that side of it, which makes it so much worse. Saying 'they can go to their own shelters' while actively funding efforts to make sure they don't exist.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

apparently the fantastic beasts royalties go to comic relief. that seems like quite a lot

Royalties on two products that generated combined £17 million at the time will be gently caress all. How generous of her. What a legend.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Britain is a country full of people who want the NHS sold off, and Israel is full of people who rock up with deck chairs and popcorn to watch the bombing. The common thread here is that propaganda works, and it works even better when every adult has been made to be part of the same organisation as those snipers who murdered inconvenient journalists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the British Raj didn't have a right to exist either, nor did Britain as an empire generally, nor necessarily does the UK at the moment depending on who you ask (it's me i don't think the state is legitimate) And in all those cases the solution is a fundamental reconstruction (or abolition) of the nature of the state and probably changes to territorial control.

I don't think it's an enormously surprising left wing position to say that states are often bad ideas and don't have an intrinsic right to exist, and people probably don't mean that the alternative should be scouring all life off the face of the landmass. Giant asteroid 2024 excepting.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

For what it's worth, my main objection is to "all the Israelis should go back where they came" stuff. My preferred solution is one state with equal rights and separation from church and state.

States having a right to exist is a very murky concept which isn't worth discussing imo, because states can't have rights - they're not people. At that level of operation it's about what you can get away with, and what other states/your population will punish you for or not.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the British Raj didn't have a right to exist either, nor did Britain as an empire generally, nor necessarily does the UK at the moment depending on who you ask (it's me i don't think the state is legitimate) And in all those cases the solution is a fundamental reconstruction (or abolition) of the nature of the state and probably changes to territorial control.

I don't think it's an enormously surprising left wing position to say that states are often bad ideas and don't have an intrinsic right to exist, and people probably don't mean that the alternative should be scouring all life off the face of the landmass. Giant asteroid 2024 excepting.

The discussion wasn't if states as a thing should exist though.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Tai posted:

I know we've sensibly kept the text of Rowling's rantings off-thread, but I think it's relevant to point out that she has a history with one of the trans women she attacks (and categorises alongside sex offenders, and implies to be part of a collective danger to women's safety) - Mridul Wadhwa, the director of the Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre.

The implications of a billionaire stirring up hatred scot-free like this against a charity director working towards women's safety - a victim who she clearly views as a competitor to her own trans-exclusionary shelters - are horrific; the soft-and-neutral framing all of this is receiving across the media is unsurprising but repellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

WhatEvil posted:

I realise this has already been talked about a fair bit, but anyway...

Two things mainly:

Expensive chairs have way more adjustments than cheaper ones.
They are (generally speaking), built to last.

If you spend a lot of time in your chair (8+ hours a day) you can really benefit from getting a better chair. In particular you can look for a "24 hour chair" which just means they're designed to be comfortable enough to sit in for 24 hours at a time - which is mostly achieved by having lots of adjustments you can make to them.

I've had a Humanscale Freedom chair with headrest for the last ~10 years that I got from 2ndhnd.com for £150, back when it still existed.

https://ca.humanscale.com/products/seating/freedom-task-office-chair

If I couldn't find another used one for cheap and this one broke, I would pay £1000 for a new one. Compared to a ~£200 (new) one it is significantly more comfortable. The way the tilt works (leaning back) is unique - the back tilts separately from the seat but also it causes the seat to move a tiny bit, and the headrest to effectively move forward and tilt your head up so you can stay looking at your screen. There are animations/vids on the humanscale website I posted above if you want to know what I'm talking about - about halfway down the page, where it says "Dynamic headrest". The tilt function works simply by leaning back into the chair. I spend a good deal of my time in the chair leaning back at about a 35° angle since it's really comfortable in that position and gives good back support.

The padding is better quality than a cheapo chair. I can adjust the back height, seat depth, arm rests up/down, seat height, headrest height and tilt tension. Because I'm able to adjust all that stuff, I have it dialed in to fit me pretty much exactly. It took a couple of weeks of making small adjustments to get there but now it's right for me I don't have to mess with it.

Since I got it, my back/shoulder/neck pain issues from prolonged computer use have basically disappeared.

I cannot recommend this chair enough. We got them for 6 people in the office I used to work in, and not one person disliked them.

I just checked on Reyooz and they currently have ~70 in-stock of the non-headrest version for £125, which is an absolute steal. I checked for delivery and IDK how much it varies by where you are in the country but it was gonna be £20 to near where I used to live in Milton Keynes. Plus they have a discount of 20% off for your first order on, so it would work out to like £136 or something as the total delivered price:

https://www.reyooz.com/products/humanscale-freedom-office-chair-with-coat-hanger-37564

I adore mine, I have fallen asleep in it more times than I can count. You can get them all day on ebay for under £300 and often much cheaper. 100% worth the money and there is definitely a huge difference between a cheap office chair from ikea or whatever and a premium product.

There are basically 3 things you should never cheap out on in life. Your Bed, Your Shoes, and your Desk Chair. When you think about the amount of time you spend using these things, why wouldnt you want to spend a bit more and get something that wont destroy your body?