Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Maxed Thief starting vocation at the weekend, and am now at the point where I want some of those other passives but that means not being a thief for a long while. :negative:

At least, I collected some decent gear for other vocations so it's not quite like starting from scratch.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

Maxed Thief starting vocation at the weekend, and am now at the point where I want some of those other passives but that means not being a thief for a long while. :negative:

At least, I collected some decent gear for other vocations so it's not quite like starting from scratch.

Often three pawns can completely carry you and you can just let them fight while you collect DP.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

FishMcCool posted:

become warfarer

pick only thief skills

warfarer levels up all vocations at the same time

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Post game question: Have the location of all the different chests with head armor pieces been collected somewhere? I've been looking around, but only found scattered information here and there, and a lot of misinformation.
So far I have the warrior, thief and archer helmets, and I'm pretty sure I know where the trickster one is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Third World Reagan posted:

become warfarer

pick only thief skills

warfarer levels up all vocations at the same time

Where do you unlock Warfarer?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Where do you unlock Warfarer?

It's near the end of the game on the Volcanic isle, you need to pay the guy with three newt liquor which you can get by combining saurian tail with wine.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My 2 favorite things that happened to me today in DD2.

1) Trying to find a house I can buy in Bakbattahl I accidentally trip over a quest trigger near the jail so I take the opportunity to check it out. After confirming that Hugo from the bandit quest is a giant loving idiot baby I learn that the forbidden spell research institute is connected to the Gaol so I go over there figuring it would be a stealth job. The game certainty ACTS like you're not supposed to be there until one dude just runs up to you and yells 'HEY ARISEN! Can I show you this super cool story! I think it's about the Medusa!'

2) I try to use the ropeway station. First time is fine. Second time my main pawn walks off a clip so I get to ride the gondola to its location with the lovely soundtrack of 'a pawn dying'. I touch down. I charge a group of Toxic Saurians despite being at like 60% loss because the hell I'm paying 9999G for an inn room. I die because I'm stupid. Luckily when I reloaded the game reloaded my idiot pawn next to me so I could revive him instead of having to find a waystone.

3) I really hosed up "Trouble on the Cape" So I went on the rescue mission with the NPCs. I took a wrong turn and wound up at the bottom of a dead end room. Which would be fine but the NPCs didn't follow me out. Whatever. I go the right way, rescue the guy myself. On my way back I immediately run into the corpse of one of the guys who followed me in. I have no idea what he's doing there and I don't care because gently caress him he's an idiot and not worth a wakestone. I bring the guy I rescued to the surface. But now I have a singular quest mark on 'Mell', a guard who didn't follow me in and had nothing to do with the quest, and the yellow circle in the city where I'm supposed to bring the guy I rescued, except he stopped following me when we got out of the cave and even picking him up and carrying him there didn't trigger anything. I decided to look up the quest online and what is being described online is completely different.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh, that's a long way away then! (Warfarer)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

2) I try to use the ropeway station. First time is fine. Second time my main pawn walks off a clip so I get to ride the gondola to its location with the lovely soundtrack of 'a pawn dying'. I touch down. I charge a group of Toxic Saurians despite being at like 60% loss because the hell I'm paying 9999G for an inn room. I die because I'm stupid. Luckily when I reloaded the game reloaded my idiot pawn next to me so I could revive him instead of having to find a waystone.

There's also a cheap inn in town. You don't have to go to the 5-star one.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Demiurge4 posted:

It's near the end of the game on the Volcanic isle, you need to pay the guy with three newt liquor which you can get by combining saurian tail with wine.

I'm so stupid that I didn't realize you can craft it because ofc you can. I found two bottles by exploring out in the world and doing quests, waited several in-game days to see if they'd respawn, and then when they didn't I just looked up where to get the third bottle.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

This is so funny in hindsight but I stayed at the gate inn a bunch of times before I realized this. It's probably an Eastern dev mindset but it does feel like Eastern developers hate the player sometimes because very little thought is given to QoL. Like the ferrystone system feels just spiteful both by the cost of buying them, the extreme rarity of them dropping and the way quests in the world are structured. There's a quest that takes you from the Arbor to Bakbattahl, back to the Arbor, back to Bakbattahl and then back to the Arbor for your (poor) reward and it's such a loving chore to do it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just used epic gamer meta reasoning to figure there must be a buyable house in Bakbattahl, and immediately went and sought it out as soon as I arrived the first time. Didn't stay in either of the inns even once, least of all the extortionate one.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Lone Badger posted:

oh. I did not know that.

Also: Dear Armor Vendor in Bakbattahl. I have spent like 70k at your store. Stop talking to me like I'm some two-bit cutpurse.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh, that's a long way away then! (Warfarer)

If you want to get it early, you can go through a long cave dungeon to the very south-east of Battahl and get there to the final zone and so the unlock the back way, but it'll be a slog. Bring a portcrystal as there's no permanent one there at first.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Phlegmish posted:

I just used epic gamer meta reasoning to figure there must be a buyable house in Bakbattahl, and immediately went and sought it out as soon as I arrived the first time. Didn't stay in either of the inns even once, least of all the extortionate one.

Me trying to find the house led to the first adventure in my previous post.

I feel like this is the discussion I'm routinely having with DD2.
Me: This game is pretty good.
DD2: You think I'm pretty good huh? Well how about NOW! Does something really embarrassing
Me: Stop trying to make me hate you.
DDS: NEVER!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My Crab is Fight posted:

If you want to get it early, you can go through a long cave dungeon to the very south-east of Battahl and get there to the final zone and so the unlock the back way, but it'll be a slog. Bring a portcrystal as there's no permanent one there at first.

I would also recommend doing that just so you can get early access to Dwarven smithing, which is probably the superior smithing style for Fighters, Warriors, and Archers. Brokkr's Smithy has a quest related to that, one you can pick up in Vernworth. And yes, bring a portcrystal, it will make things much easier for the future.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
People getting got by the tourist trap inn in Bakbattahl owns

Well, either tourist trap or they're charging the gently caress out of you because they're racist against pawns

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Another thing that annoys me with the opaque systems in the game is how bosses respawn and how it apparently distinguishes between dungeon(cave) bosses and those in the wild but there's no information on it at all in the game.

I wanted to get some electrum for a weapon upgrade and there's apparently only two places to fight the high tier golem that drops it. I was able to find it eventually and did some exploring, sleeping at every campfire on the way to pass time and on the way back it had respawned so I got the two electrum I needed, great.

Before going there I had killed a Lich in a cave for the high tier crystal I also needed. The Lich had not respawned and apparently after some googling there's a weird timer system where you need to rest at at inn on another continent 7 times before they respawn?

The game desperately needs a codex or ingame source of information about enemies. I only know cyclops are resistant to fire because pawns will occasionally say so if they get set on fire. I think human enemies are resistant to frost and goblins are resistant to fire but only because of a throwaway "our enchantment confers no advantage to this foe" line when I'm fighting them. Even after earning a full pawn token for a specific enemy there's no change or further information about the foe or what the token even does. Do they get a damage bonus? Who knows. I like the game a lot but I'm burnt out and annoyed from the way it actively fights me when I try to find information.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah it's a bit weird that there's a compendium of every NPC you've interacted with but no bestiary, especially since pawns in DD1 had different tiers of knowledge for every monster and how best to fight them.

Before I start NG+ later does anyone know if the Dragonforged sells all the endgame gear off the bat, or is that gated behind the "hey the world is hosed" true ending scenario even on NG+?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Lone Badger posted:

Often three pawns can completely carry you and you can just let them fight while you collect DP.

Oh, I'm not stressing about difficulty, it's just that I enjoyed the toolkit a lot and will likely go back to it afterwards. I just feel like I need the carry weight passive from Fighter and the faster climbing from (late) Archer. I deeply resent the latter in fact, like wtf Capcom? I like the Strider/Assassin/Ranger split into Thief/Archer, but faster monster climbing should have been on the Thief side. :argh:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Another thing that annoys me with the opaque systems in the game is how bosses respawn and how it apparently distinguishes between dungeon(cave) bosses and those in the wild but there's no information on it at all in the game.

I wanted to get some electrum for a weapon upgrade and there's apparently only two places to fight the high tier golem that drops it. I was able to find it eventually and did some exploring, sleeping at every campfire on the way to pass time and on the way back it had respawned so I got the two electrum I needed, great.

Before going there I had killed a Lich in a cave for the high tier crystal I also needed. The Lich had not respawned and apparently after some googling there's a weird timer system where you need to rest at at inn on another continent 7 times before they respawn?

In the first game at least you could use forged crafting materials in upgrades.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Owl Inspector posted:

Data (untested):
- a pawn quest can give rewards to every player who completes it until the owner rests, so if you never rest again on that save, the quest is always available to everyone
- starting a new save does not wipe your old pawn from the server, so you can upload a pawn and still play normally on a different save

Proposal:
- get a low level public charity pawn onto the servers who gives a portcrystal as an easy quest reward
- the pawn is shaped like a portcrystal

Could you then theoretically start 3 games and in the third hire your first and second pawn, just to have a full roster of your own pawns? And pawn quest dupe port crystals to yourself on other characters?

Clocks posted:

Hell there was a pawn I hired the other day with a drenching arrow for 10k and I was almost too lazy to grab one out of storage to actually capitalize on it.

I found a pawn walking on the road the other day that had 10k for like two fine roborant or something. But I just had two pawns that gave out 500G both for an ogre (I actively looked for two pawn with the same quest) and I stupidly decided to ignore the 10k pawn because I did not want to switch one of my pawns out for him.

Phlegmish posted:

I am baffled that this was an issue for people, every time my pawn got the red eyes they were gone by the next rest, and once even without resting. I had decided to let it progress to see what would happen, but it seemingly always went away on its own.

Weird, I thought you needed to toss them into the brine to get rid of it. Maybe another player brined them in their world and they just come back to yours cleansed?

On another note: I finally found a forger in Checkpoint Rest Town. Is that the only one there is in the game? I was surprised I didn't find one in Venworth.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I made an amazing discovery last night.

If you pick up one of the roly-poly saurians and throw them down an incline they’ll roll forever till they hit something or reach the bottom of the hill.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So my performance in DD2 has suddenly tanked. I was getting 60fps outside of towns and most of the time in towns yesterday (and for the previous week) and now suddenly I am getting 30-40fps everywhere? (7800X3D and 4080 super)

Anyone else had similar problems? Restarted the game, rebooted PC etc

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Bonus my pawn being a dumbass:

What the hell are you talking about, I am the Arisen, and you should know this as we've spent dozens of hours together

I've wondered about this. Especially in the rift, pawns seem to talk to you like you're another pawn, and then there's this dialogue that I always assumed was directed at your main pawn but seems directed at the arisen. I don't think they'd make such a huge, elementary mistake as confusing the arisen for a pawn, whatever little quibbles I have with the narrative presentation in this series it otherwise seems very clear that the player character is the arisen. What do we think is going on here?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I've wondered about this. Especially in the rift, pawns seem to talk to you like you're another pawn, and then there's this dialogue that I always assumed was directed at your main pawn but seems directed at the arisen. I don't think they'd make such a huge, elementary mistake as confusing the arisen for a pawn, whatever little quibbles I have with the narrative presentation in this series it otherwise seems very clear that the player character is the arisen. What do we think is going on here?

when i see that it's a rented pawn asking my pawn the question, since my pawn answers it

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sloober posted:

when i see that it's a rented pawn asking my pawn the question, since my pawn answers it

My pawn has never answered this question for some reason, any time it's asked the party just ignores it lol. What reply does your pawn give?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I’ve had pawns ask and answer their own questions before, they’re just janky

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Deified Data posted:

My pawn has never answered this question for some reason, any time it's asked the party just ignores it lol. What reply does your pawn give?

it answers with the starting profession, which for mine was mage

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I have never once seen even the question in 90+ hours, except for that screenshot where it's my main pawn asking me. Weird how it can be so different depending on the player.

My pawn often says poo poo like "you might think this a trifle, but..." and then doesn't follow it up with anything.

Yes? What's a trifle? Please finish your sentence, even if you're just going to tell me about how materials can be combined for the 500th time

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Had a pretty miserable ox cart run where a grim ogre attacked, but it got lost in the dark and I couldn't find it so the ox cart refused to move. After killing every bandit and skeleton in draw distance of the cart we finally found the drat thing. The actual fight was pretty funny since I'd just switched to Trickster and only had the starting actions. I basically kept yoinking the ghost behind him every time he was about to make an attack, so he just kind of drop kicked the air while my pawns whittled him down.

Then I encountered the downside of Trickster when we attacked a chopper camp and I let the ghost die by not paying attention, leading to every single one of them charging straight at me. Lesson learned!

My pawn finally seems to have contacted dragon ligma, given back talk and exulting in battle aren't usually part of the calm inclination's wheelhouse. I let him hang out for too long with some sketchy hirelings I guess. Time for a bath.

That said, I had those hirelings for weeks of in game time. You have a LOT of time to notice dragonblight, and given how often pawns pipe up about the symptoms there really isn't any excuse for letting it get to the final stage lol. It should be relatively easy to game the period of time where it just buffs them, since it's not like you're minutes away from disaster at that point.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would love to see goon screenshots of the aftermath of letting's Dragon's Ligma reach the final stage. I genuinely wanted that outcome in my game, but the disease just kept going away on its own.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The pawn dialogue is generally much improved in this one but the patchwork nature of it can still be a little weird. I'm sure I'm not the only one who got to hear plenty of this in the second act:

:haw: Say, I had a thought!
:cry: It hurt when my soul got ripped from my body.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So the ligma follows It Follows rules and clears up on the host when it passes to someone else right? Because I could swear I had two pawns with it at once at some point, but I assume it's possible to get a pawn who already has it from the rift so you can have multiple.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think they tried to do a lot with the pawn dialogue and it seems like in places the system couldn't keep up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Emulating DD1's Hard Mode with mods makes such a huge difference in experience.
The whole Battahl zone ends up an increase in challenge, rather than other way around.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I really like what they did with the endgame armor and weapons. For example, Magick Archer gets a spellbow that looks like a cute little dragon hitching a ride on your back.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 2, 2024

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
I love magick archer on every level except for the fact that holding down R1 pretty much all of the time absolutely murders my hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a good reason for why they wasted two whole buttons on Magick Archer?
The "Heavy Attack" and "Vocation Action" buttons are completely superfluous on that class and could've been repurposed to do something cool and/or useful instead.