Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

The discussion wasn't if states as a thing should exist though.
This is one of the many reasons that ethnostates are complete poo poo though, they can spin any questioning of the legitimacy of the state/territory as an attack on the ethnicity, and then people start to confuse/conflate the two.

e:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think it's an enormously surprising left wing position to say that states are often bad ideas and don't have an intrinsic right to exist, and people probably don't mean that the alternative should be scouring all life off the face of the landmass.
That would be fine were we all dispassionately discussing this. I worry that fuctifino's question, especially given his repeated bans and probations on the subject, stands to could go in a darker direction, which you assume he probably doesn't mean.

e: to clarify - not saying you are going that route f, but that kind of anger directed at Israelis in general can very easily lead to radicalisation.

I personally am not sure discussing it dispassionately is a great idea either, given the historical context of the state's ethnic history and the antisemitism witchunt perpetually hounding the left.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 2, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just for clarity, when I say that Israel has lost its right to exist, I'm not calling for the expulsion of Jewish people. I'm calling for the same as what happened to South Africa when the two-state apartheid fascism ended there,

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Dabir posted:

Britain is a country full of people who want the NHS sold off,

No, every single time this question gets put to a poll, people say they want the NHS to stay in public hands.
The Tories and Labour never explicitly say "we're going to sell off the NHS" for this very reason - it's a vote killer - and sell it off behind closed doors instead.

Dabir posted:

and Israel is full of people who rock up with deck chairs and popcorn to watch the bombing

It's fair to be furious at what the Israel government is doing in Gaza and encouraging in the West Bank, but sweeping statements like these aren't helpful.
There were large anti-government demonstrations in Israel over the weekend. There are lots of people there who loving hate what's going on as well.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

kingturnip posted:

There were large anti-government demonstrations in Israel over the weekend. There are lots of people there who loving hate what's going on as well.

wasn't this principally about extending the draft to the ultra-orthodox community who've historically been exempt from it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

Just for clarity, when I say that Israel has lost its right to exist, I'm not calling for the expulsion of Jewish people. I'm calling for the same as what happened to South Africa when the two-state apartheid fascism ended there,
You get the chance to clarify here, but just be careful man. One misworded tweet too close to the insane countdown lady and you're the next History's Greatest Monster Jeremy Corbyn.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Israeli politics is very complicated in a lot of ways. Demonstrations usually have multiple factions that want different things in them.

Suffice to say that while most Israelis aren't far gone enough to rock up with popcorn to the bombings, the vast majority of Israelis are very, very right wing on most issues.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

Britain is a country full of people who want the NHS sold off,

This is extremely not true, where'd you get this from? Even some of the most rabid tory voters want the NHS free at the point of use (I appreciate there's a distinction between that and selling it off but very few people - tory voters included - want to see private hospitals and private ambulances)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yeah NHS is pretty popular tbh. Not met anyone I think ever who has wanted it sold off.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Nobody wants it sold off but The National Credit Card bill must be settled, so what can the grownups do but sell it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Ahhh the magic money tree. The Tories really loved that expression, I kinda miss it.

On the subject of NHS I'm contemplating going private, been waiting 8 months now for 2 referrals.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
The problem with Israel is normally when it comes to states deciding to do this stuff they are normally done in states with limited or no democracy. Not only is this policy and supported by the political party in charge they get a lot of support.

You could argue that it is an issue with the current policy but they don’t have much opposition to it internally and immigration is easy for those that support the policy.

To which where is the main complaint about? Israel as a county, Likud as a political party, Israeli people and support of it.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tai posted:

Yeah NHS is pretty popular tbh. Not met anyone I think ever who has wanted it sold off.

You haven't met the people that matter, MPs and the people they want to sell it off to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

The discussion wasn't if states as a thing should exist though.

I would suggest that when you see some states very visibly committing atrocities (rather than having committed them in the past or committing them quietly) that should lead you to a general critique of states overall, but I think it's comparatively uncontroversial even for people who aren't willing to go that far, to say that when states become bent on committing horrific crimes against humanity on a daily basis, they have to be somehow dismantled, the government has to go, the structure of the state has to fundamentally change to stop it happening again.

They usually phrase this as "regime change" or look to historical examples like south africa or nazi germany, and while most forms of interventionism obviously don't work, the desire to undermine the authority and ability to rule of states considered to be a danger to everybody they come in contact with, is not some unthinkable concept, it's a quite common one. So it's not unusual or weird to say "this state should not exist" it's just that the sentiment is generally couched in specific language or relegated to history.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 2, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FiftySeven posted:

There are basically 3 things you should never cheap out on in life. Your Bed, Your Shoes, and your Desk Chair. When you think about the amount of time you spend using these things, why wouldnt you want to spend a bit more and get something that wont destroy your body?

Four things. You also need some kind of PlayStation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

FiftySeven posted:

There are basically 3 things you should never cheap out on in life. Your Bed, Your Shoes, and your Desk Chair. When you think about the amount of time you spend using these things, why wouldnt you want to spend a bit more and get something that wont destroy your body?

More reasons not to buy these things online then.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

The mods have closed the Israel thread because people were getting mad about the mass murder, rather than discussing it in the approved detached, nitpicking d&d posting style.

Didn't know it was closed, it was already on my :yikes: list anyways. :shrug:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Microplastics posted:

This is extremely not true, where'd you get this from? Even some of the most rabid tory voters want the NHS free at the point of use (I appreciate there's a distinction between that and selling it off but very few people - tory voters included - want to see private hospitals and private ambulances)

Since when has what UK voters want had any bearing on what our governments actually do?

Also you might want to look up the Ridley Plan.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Four things. You also need some kind of PlayStation.

They said don’t cheap out. Ergo you need a big old PC with lots of RGB flashing lights and poo poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

xtothez posted:

Since when has what UK voters want had any bearing on what our governments actually do?

Also you might want to look up the Ridley Plan.

That's not what I'm discussing though. I'm taking exception to the charge that Britain is "full of people who want the NHS sold off"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What are the people who think it should be free and available to (almost) everyone but not funded by taxes thinking? Malaysian rubber mines and tin plantations again?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm guessing those people don't understand how insurance works and how the largest possible pool is the best possible choice for cost.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

fuctifino posted:

Note that South Africa still exists. So any legal or moral right to existence Israel may or may not have is not contradictory to a similar outcome. Including one that changed the country’s name and had a rather more radical economic restructuring.

To actually destroy, render non-existent, a state is something done relatively rarely in the 20C; even the Nazis kept existing states more often than not. The Boer War.is perhaps a relevant reference point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They were forced to back down from any claim to SW Africa though, which allowed it to become Namibia, and directly led to R. South Africa changing flag, anthem, voting system, parliamentary structure, legal code, etc. (not necessarily in that order).

About the only thing left between that and 'this is a different state' is the name, and only about a dozen people at most care about the Azania debate over things like why the power keeps going off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kinda always felt like letting one specific ethnoreligious group have complete control of Jerusalem was a patently foolish act. Should have made it the loving UN headquarters or something that would force it to be neutral ground.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

Kinda always felt like letting one specific ethnoreligious group have complete control of Jerusalem was a patently foolish act. Should have made it the loving UN headquarters or something that would force it to be neutral ground.

Probably, but it needs to be written and codified well, otherwise you get a ladder that nobody can ever move

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They should do that thing like the Christian church where to prevent religious disputes they have local Muslim families hold the keys to it and they maintain strict neutrality.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Scientastic posted:

So the three solutions are: imprison people, despite there being an historically high prison population and historically low space for them, fine people, despite the fact that being homeless tends to mean you don’t have very much money to pay fines, or move people on, which just shifts the “problem” from one location to another, with the added frisson of depriving someone of what little sleep they might have been able to grab.

I know the cruelty is the point, but loving hell

yeah it's going to be the "moving on" part that's used most. if you're sleeping rough you're going to prefer somewhere well lit and with people passing by because that's the place where you're less likely to be assaulted, raped, or god knows what because if someone tries that, someone else is likely to intervene, ring the police, and also people know there's CCTV recording everything that happens in busy shopping areas

but you do get monstrous people complaining that they ruin the look of a place without putting any more thought into the situation than that, and they just want them to be shooed into a dark alley somewhere, presumably happy enough for them to be prey to god knows what

sick poo poo, embarrassing country

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just imagined typing an email while lying down and my carpals started throbbing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No lie I kinda wanna put a monitor on my ceiling for that reason.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

“My time Cosplaying being poor but with good intentions

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

This is what cheep projectors are for

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I achieve a similar effect using a tablet arm that's clamped to my headboard, and watch netflix in bed that way.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm an American who doesn't really have a good grip on the inner workings of your political system. That being said, I understand that a GE needs to be called pretty soon, and the UK economy is currently going down the toilet. Wouldn't it be better for the Conservatives to hold the GE sooner rather than later and force Labour to have to clean up and possibly gently caress up the recovery? Put the economic woes on them as soon as possible and save the Conservative Brand?

Or is Sunak just a selfish bastard who will hold onto power as long as possible no matter what the cost to his party?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Netflix and gently caress I fell asleep during episode 1 and woke up to massive spoilers in episode 8

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: ^^^ simply solved by switching off autoplay.

Cimber posted:

Or is Sunak just a selfish bastard who will hold onto power as long as possible no matter what the cost to his party?

This, plus they are greedy. The Tories know that they are finished for at least a generation, maybe forever. So they have up to 8 more months of selling off what's left of the country and writing blank cheques for all their chums to cash offshore. There's plenty more to be squeezed out of the GB sponge yet....

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and passing laws like mandatory beatings for the homeless, knowing that the labour party won't roll them back lest even one bloke with finger tattoos in a flat roof pub say they're big softies

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cimber posted:

I'm an American who doesn't really have a good grip on the inner workings of your political system. That being said, I understand that a GE needs to be called pretty soon, and the UK economy is currently going down the toilet. Wouldn't it be better for the Conservatives to hold the GE sooner rather than later and force Labour to have to clean up and possibly gently caress up the recovery? Put the economic woes on them as soon as possible and save the Conservative Brand?

/\ /\ /\
What fuctifino said

The charitable interpretation is that they're hoping for a deus ex machina to solve the economy in the meantime, so they can get some credit for it.
But when that's the charitable interpretation, you can see why the other view is held

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

e: ^^^ simply solved by switching off autoplay.

From my cold, dead hands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

crispix posted:

and passing laws like mandatory beatings for the homeless, knowing that the labour party won't roll them back lest even one bloke with finger tattoos in a flat roof pub say they're big softies

Keith will set up an extensive network of shelters 24/7 courts to deal with the homeless.