Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Looks good but I'm going to miss the chonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
These are technically AoS models so I'm crosspostin':

Safety Factor posted:

Finished up my first batch of chaos warriors over the weekend. My original test model was really helpful and I was able to modify the scheme a bit to get it where I wanted. For example, I pushed the contrast in the metallics a bit more and deepened the shadows on the cloaks. I was aiming for something I could knock out relatively quickly. There's a fair bit of drybrushing here - the cloaks especially. I still took some time to wet blend things like the horns and the color change on the banner. Speaking of which, I took my first real shot at freehanding on this banner which was definitely a learning experience. So without further ado, here are the models:

Group shots:

Command section:

Mooks with my test model in the middle:

More mooks:

I'm really happy with how these guys turned out. They're tzeentch weirdos so I added some small things like glowing runes on their pendants, the standard bearer has a glowing blue eye, and the champion has orange eyes and fiery runes on his sword to make him stand out. If I have a complaint with these models it's that I wish there was a little less variety in the skins and furs they're wearing just to help streamline things. I think I managed a good amount of variety there though. I also felt obligated to paint them off of their bases just to be able to access certain areas. The cloaks can be difficult to work around otherwise. Of course the shields were separate too. I'll be continuing the general wizard van art theme with future banners. I have some ideas already and I think I'm locked in on my eventual battle standard bearer.

Next up I'll be painting a wizard as I've previously mentioned and then maybe some hounds for something quick and easy before diving back into another batch of warriors. I'm planning 40 of these. :shepface:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The pauldrons are yet another symptom of shrinkflation.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hmmm, the ugly gold armor had more personality than this. Still keeping on the pauldrons and shield doesn't help either. I'm not convinced when people say this is a huge improvement over the original main color scheme.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This is a big improvement over the old goofy thicc lads, but I wish they'd have kept the original shield design to differentiate them from the spear guys. The original shield was cooler imo, a simpler, cleaner design.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

Hmmm, the ugly gold armor had more personality than this. Still keeping on the pauldrons and shield doesn't help either. I'm not convinced when people say this is a huge improvement over the original main color scheme.
All my Stormcasts are Hallowed Knights. I always liked silver more than gold for armor.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It needs more color, it needs something.

This looks better, at least colors wise, to me

Maybe could have painted the knees in the blue and gold too or something.

Maybe it looks better as a whole unit of these guys and they just picked the most unfortunate model to show it off.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The old thickcast are genuinely trash models with few redeeming qualities, they look like something out of a Blizzard game more than anything that looks identifiably Warhammer (and before you jokers get any ideas yes there are genuine differences between these artistic styles).

I also expect that their sheer similarity to Vindictors means that Vindictors will soon be known as "Liberators with Spears".

Edit: also the paint scheme is a LOT better than the gaudy gold Hammers Scheme, I genuinely don't get the idea this looks worse in any way

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 2, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume it's these guys, that the community post seems to emphasize with this composition?

AnEdgelord posted:

Edit: also the paint scheme is a LOT better than the gaudy gold Hammers Scheme, I genuinely don't get the idea this looks worse in any way
Gaudy is exactly why it's better, it at least has color to it instead of nothing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It turns out when you have a professional painter who is specifically getting paid to make a model look good under press photography, the model looks good.

No Hammers model in the wild looks like that. Retributor Gold is a particularly ugly shade to begin with, and it's not getting multiple layers of highlighting and shading to disguise that. At best, you might see someone do a brown wash over it and daub some Ultramarines Blue on the shoulder pads, but more often you're looking at a bunch of sad fat armored babies rattlecanned with an ugly shade of ochre and nothing else.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Gaudy is exactly why it's better, it at least has color to it instead of nothing.

Nothing is genuinely better than that hideous gold look. Also I even dispute that silver armor is "nothing", the more muted tone makes it so the details of the model stand out more rather than being drowned out by insanely gaudy gold tones.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well to each their own I guess, art is subjective.

I'd like to see the rest of the unit that this model is from though. The art for Hallowed knights and some paint models look much better than this one, I just don't get why they picked such a bland looking one for their first reveal.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's just that spear guy but with a hand weapon, super low effort!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I personally think the Hammer’s scheme looks good on the Vindictor, but not on the Liberator in that image.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I know people have been asking for an update to the original Stormcast models, but seeing them side-by-side... I honestly prefer the look of the chunky one. Sure, they don't match the newer units, and maybe in-hand it looks a lot different from the photo's (I'm not an SCE collector), but there's something charming about how stout he looks compared to the more appropriately scaled versions.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 2, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Definitely fits the 40mm base unlike the other two.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Y'all are insane, the old liberator looks like a Mr potato head got lost in a chop shop and got spray painted gold by accident

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Ignoring all of this preamble as I wait patiently for the actually exciting announcement, that Skaven are back but now they're all called things like Gnawgrumble Verminkin and Chitterboil Poxmendicants

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

These are technically AoS models so I'm crosspostin':

Got ya on record now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Marmaduke! posted:

It's just that spear guy but with a hand weapon, super low effort!

Oh no my SCE army might look visually consistent, the horror!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. All of these SCE models look the same to me. They’re all just about the most visually boring models GW has ever put out. If you put one SCE from each year in front of me I would have no idea how to put them in order.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

That's a bold claim to make when space marines exist.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

for all that modern marine designs are insanely bland, there’s at least forty years of legacy design crust leaving traces of human creativity that bob up here and there among the flotsam. SCE read to me as marines with the few remaining sharp edges sanded to a completely smooth, frictionless plane. It’s all the more jarring because AOS sculpts are generally dripping with flavor much more than mainline 40k.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
SCE models are designed to be simple to paint, and the box art paint scheme is boring so even painters of mediocre technical skill (like me) will feel they did better than GW.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

As mentioned before

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cause I like reposting stuff I see, some cool Blanche AoS concept art.

GhastlyBizness posted:

They’re crying out for something like that, something big and lumbering with a howdah/ballista on top would really fit their ancient vibes. Also not something you see in other Death armies tbh.

RE: the Blanche art, what’s almost surprising is how 1:1 some of the AoS minis are from the sketches. The Darkoath guy, the kharadron, Skaggrot.

games-workshop outright translates John Blanche's art into figures sometimes.

It's a matter of how close they manage to get.

Happens in 40K for example with

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
To be clear my perspective is of someone who has a fully painted SCE army and largely got into the army off the back of Annihilators and Dragons. I have painted both a Vindictor from the Dominion box and a Liberator from the Start Collecting. My hate for the old fatcast is not some distant thing, these are models on my display shelf that I played with throughout 3rd edition. These new liberators are an insane glowup that won't look like loving poo poo next to my other thunderstrike models and, while I'm non-plussed about the Ruination chamber SCE not having a more creative design, I am very excited to banish the lovely 1st edition SCE from the game.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Got ya on record now.

The AoS chaos range is very pretty and a good update. I have no qualms in square basing them. :c00l:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

AnEdgelord posted:

To be clear my perspective is of someone who has a fully painted SCE army and largely got into the army off the back of Annihilators and Dragons. I have painted both a Vindictor from the Dominion box and a Liberator from the Start Collecting. My hate for the old fatcast is not some distant thing, these are models on my display shelf that I played with throughout 3rd edition. These new liberators are an insane glowup that won't look like loving poo poo next to my other thunderstrike models and, while I'm non-plussed about the Ruination chamber SCE not having a more creative design, I am very excited to banish the lovely 1st edition SCE from the game.

To be fair, the article explicitly says these are not the Ruination Chamber. Which I'm kind of glad for, because we really didn't need an 8th battleline unit to sell the new box with. Especially when the Ruination Chamber, by definition, sounds very much non-battleline-y.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

AnEdgelord posted:

Oh no my SCE army might look visually consistent, the horror!

I'll at least be consistent myself and if the Ruination models look a bit more exciting I'll give them credit for that

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I like the new body but I vastly prefer the old head, but I think I'm some sort of weirdo for actually loving the original Stormcast death mask helmets.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Bee posted:

To be fair, the article explicitly says these are not the Ruination Chamber. Which I'm kind of glad for, because we really didn't need an 8th battleline unit to sell the new box with. Especially when the Ruination Chamber, by definition, sounds very much non-battleline-y.

oh I know these aren't Ruination dudes, I'm talking about what we saw of the Ruination dudes in the trailer which I wasn't particularly impressed by, though there is still a chance for the models themselves to sway me

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Getting in some skaven games at 1k teams levels so I can pretend not to be a Johnny-come-lately at the 4.0 launch.

I understand full well it's an artifact of the points levels, but dang, a big block of clanrats getting whipped and prevented from battleshocking by a clawlord is actually really good, especially for a grand total of 300 points.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Working on a cyberpunk morathi. Started with lesrathi

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lostconfused posted:

It needs more color, it needs something.

I think the mistake was to paint the scale armour silver as well, even if they've tried for a little tonal variation.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 3, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/03/how-building-your-army-has-changed-in-newaos/

Today's 4e update shines the spotlight on regiments and army building.

quote:

Every unit within a regiment deploys together as a single drop. You can reinforce most non-Unique units with more than one model, and while there is no longer any limit on the number of units you can reinforce, you may no longer double-reinforce units.

Otherwise, the restrictions of the current edition are gone.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
It's interesting, after 10th edition of 40k basically got rid of most army building rules I was expecting something similar for AoS 4th, instead it's becoming more complicated if anything. I like it though, helps makes things feel like a real army then just throwing the best units in. I do worry about that Teclis mention means that Special Characters will be even more vital for the list building flexibility.
Not surprised they got rid of in universe sub factions in favor of army composition based ones, lots of AoS armies already worked like that and who knows what the Big Yella color scheme is supposed to be.

neaden fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 3, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Maybe they're trying to make regiments of renown more of a thing?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I dig the idea of limited units that are hero themed. To many armies are just weird skew imo, like Ironjawz pig riders. Although I guess people will just spam the same hero + units if they're good enough. Oh well.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sounds kind of MESBG, which is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I thought the same thing with the heroes leading different units.