Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Lord Packinham posted:

Yea, I’d still rather have an autocannon sentry, pretty much every upside to the mortar turret and like no downside.

Mortars have 70-80% uptime with ammo upgrades, often closer to 100% if they’re not engaging the entire time. Not needing direct LOS on their targets also makes them less likely to get deleted by the first rocket or charger that sniffs them out and more able to respond to a new flank opening up after it has been placed. AC is usually my third sentry choice vs. bots but I’ll almost always take an explosive mortar before I take AC sentry, if not just for the uptime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lord Packinham posted:

Yea, I’d still rather have an autocannon sentry, pretty much every upside to the mortar turret and like no downside.

I like them but they run out of ammo so fast even with max upgrades. On jungles and canyons it just makes sense to bring a mortar tbh. You can also hide them behind cover so you can push into the bot alarm if needed

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The Dominator was already really good against bugs and now it's so powerful it feels wrong, :getin:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The numbers on the Dominator definitely seem really good but I just cannot get past the sluggish handling and slow projectile travel time. I need my primary to be snappy so I can quickly deal with light enemies

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Lord Packinham posted:

as mentioned, LOS is a huge disadvantage and also, it chews through ammo and will happily waste its entire stock of ammo shooting a tank and not killing it. Ive also had it tk about as much as the mortar does against bots

much rather use the mortar, tho the AC turret can put in work if deployed correctly

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Is there a trick to playing solo or is it better to just not bother?

Obviously the game's always going to be better with friends, by virtue of how it works, but I like the idea of doing quick solo missions when I'm not in the mood to work with people or don't want to commit to a 30 minute map clearance. The ones I've tried today have been especially unfun though, just death spiraling and being spawn-camped by enemies I can't get a foothold to kill.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WoodrowSkillson posted:

My issue with the scorcher is it just feels so boring to use. The sound is so piddly and weak, the explosion effect is hardly noticeable, and the mag size is real small. It just feels bad. There is nothing that makes it feel any different than a semi auto rifle.

Really the sound design for weapons in this game is pretty bad overall, with a few good ones and most of them feeling nearly identical and very underwhelming.

It kills everything in a clip that isn’t a elite enemy and even then it can kill the bots by shooting their back vents including tanks and towers

It’s the best weapon in the game

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Teratrain posted:

Obviously the game's always going to be better with friends, by virtue of how it works, but I like the idea of doing quick solo missions when I'm not in the mood to work with people or don't want to commit to a 30 minute map clearance. The ones I've tried today have been especially unfun though, just death spiraling and being spawn-camped by enemies I can't get a foothold to kill.

I think it's possible, the game isn't really built for it as you say but it'll require you to play quite differently. I think to find success on the higher difficulties solo, you'd have to very much learn the cadence of enemy spawn patterns and such before really trying it, you probably have to be a lot more choosy about engagements and what stratagems you bring too. Even if you do everything perfectly you might still run into situations that end up being impossible as well.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im very close to getting the scorcher and im excited to try it. seems like the perfect compliment to my bot setup of quasar + shield. Its painful to fight scout walkers with that and its also not great against devastators since you can only take out one before needing to cooldown the quasar

hoping the scorcher will let me mop up those medium targets while still having enough ammo to deal with raiders

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Teratrain posted:

Is there a trick to playing solo...

If you want to play solo you pretty much need to avoid engagement and stealth as much as possible at any other than the lowest difficulties.

However, IMHO the real trick is:

Teratrain posted:

...or is it better to just not bother?

That. Just drop into quick play.

Edit: I find the Scorcher, Shield, Quasar combo great against bots. But, you have to be conservative with scorcher ammo. You can't just lead plasma hose. Two hits to anywhere on the upper body of a strider kills it. One hit to any small bots. Berzerkers are doable but use a lot of ammo. The Quasar two shots tanks anywhere and turret towers anywhere but the mantlet, and murders dropship with engine hits. Feels good.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 2, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Scorcher just needs 5 more rounds a magazine. Cmon devs, dont be afraid.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Teratrain posted:

You'll probably want to temper expectations on how much poo poo you can complete on your own at higher difficulties, as you'll probably need to expend a stratagem for every single objective.

For bugs you'll need to bring a grenade launcher to destroy holes and pop spewers. You otherwise just don't have enough options to close 8 holes. Pray you don't get a stalker nest.

For bots you'll need to bring EMP something and a laser cannon (or quasar?) because nothing else will clear the big robots without taxing your stratagems/ammunition a lot.

What's wrong with playing "solo" in a quick play game, and just going Rambo? If you die way out in the wilderness, that means you would have died on your own more because your buddies are at least drawing some of the enemies/spawns away from you.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Ha so many EATs in the ground today

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

quasar is really good at sniping bot fabs and turrets. It takes 3 hits to kill a turret from the front, but you can do that from 250+ meters away. Bot fabs need to be hit in the exhaust, so they can be done from range, but you need the correct angle

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dandywalken posted:

While I feel this, I don't want the monkey paw wish of "To balance a bigger mag now scorcher is 90 damage and even more prone to 'sometimes you don't oneshot a trooper' you hit'."

15 with 6 spares is "fine" and the real reason it feels small is 100 explosive is pretty damned weak trying to deal with anything not mega vulnerable to a couple 100 damage cherry bombs with penetrating splash. With a side of spam spam spam. When the enemy throws 10+ troopers at you AND larger friends, not like my beloved defender is going to be swimming in ammo long.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CelticPredator posted:

It kills everything in a clip that isn’t a elite enemy and even then it can kill the bots by shooting their back vents including tanks and towers

It’s the best weapon in the game

none of that makes it feel fun to use. its entirely boring and gives next to no feedback that it is a powerful and impactful weapon.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Even 3 extra per mag would make a significant difference IMHO.

They need to add back in weapon upgrades from the first game. Gimme 50% bigger mags I need to upgrade.

Edit: In the original game the Plasma gun got two upgrades that had to be researched. The first doubled magazine size, the second lit on fire anything in the blast zone.

Section Z posted:

15 with 6 spares is "fine" and the real reason it feels small is 100 explosive is pretty damned weak trying to deal with anything not mega vulnerable to a couple 100 damage cherry bombs with penetrating splash.

Worth noting that unless I read it wrong, the devs mentioned that explosive damage isnt listed in weapon stats, only the direct damage part is. It's in the patch notes under known issues. Explosive damage weapons do more than listed with an unknown number of explosive damage on each shot.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 2, 2024

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Darox posted:

Needing line of sight is a massive downside.

It's an upside because it means you can control what it's engaging. You can set it up so it's exchanging shots with distant enemies across an empty plain, for example, while your squad is dealing with the group that dropped behind you.

Meanwhile the mortar will ignore those distant enemies to paste your squad as you are trying to fight.

A huge bunch of builds do in fact require you to go close to the enemy.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 2, 2024

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just use the breaker all the time. Can someone suggest a better default gun against bots? The latest warbond gun I've seen is the breaker spray and pray, so I've unlocked everything until that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

quasar is really good at sniping bot fabs and turrets. It takes 3 hits to kill a turret from the front, but you can do that from 250+ meters away. Bot fabs need to be hit in the exhaust, so they can be done from range, but you need the correct angle

Does the quasar have 'bullet drop'? The few times I used it, I thought it might, but that makes no sense since it's a laser kind of weapon?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Spear is great against the gunships everyone

They stay in the open, don't move too much and go down in one hit, their respawn time is fairly long so if you find gunships, drop them, find the gunship post and blow it up.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

redreader posted:

I just use the breaker all the time. Can someone suggest a better default gun against bots? The latest warbond gun I've seen is the breaker spray and pray, so I've unlocked everything until that.

Scythe cause they rarely get up to close range so you always have time to spin up

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

redreader posted:

Does the quasar have 'bullet drop'? The few times I used it, I thought it might, but that makes no sense since it's a laser kind of weapon?

Not that I can tell, and I've hit things 300 and 400 meters out with it.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

redreader posted:

slugger tho that just got nerfed so maybe not, defender, scorcher, and sickle are all solid

redreader posted:

not sure, maybe a little. I can usually aim right at the turret and hit it from pretty far

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

redreader posted:

🔥🗣🗣🗣Scorcher scorcher scorcher scorcher🗣🗣🗣🔥

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

redreader posted:

I'm enjoying the marksman rifle (scoped to 75m) + jetpack + quasar on light throwing armor, also have fun with the defender + ballistic shield, but I don't think it's viable above 5

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

redreader posted:

Sickle is really nice and feels more useful against bots than bugs since “can this one shot the hunter thats right in my face” isn’t a concern - basic Liberator is nice and fills a similar niche. I haven’t tried it yet post changes but before the patch I was playing almost exclusively arc thrower + scorcher, with the scorcher being a bit less generalist than something like a sickle but really good at killing striders and heavy weak spots with it’s weird semi-splash that let’s you hit them without a direct LOS.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

jokes posted:

What's wrong with playing "solo" in a quick play game, and just going Rambo? If you die way out in the wilderness, that means you would have died on your own more because your buddies are at least drawing some of the enemies/spawns away from you.

This is a fine idea. It doesn't do much for the "I just want to be bad at the game in my own little bubble" problem but it's a way of doing things.

I'm not even really interested in higher difficulties necessarily, was just wondering about my options for playing the game in general. I'm still missing EMP and other specific stuff to handle missions by myself, so I'll just fall back on QP for now.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Teratrain posted:

I do solo pretty frequently and it's pretty doable but you kinda have to play smartly. Imo bots are easier to solo than bugs: I can do up to bot 7 reliably, but bugs I can only do 5 or 6 usually (I've done solo bug 7s but it tends to be a crapshoot if I survive to extract or not) because with bots it's easier to bring a "one size fits all" weapon (like the AMR or AC) and they don't swarm you so it's easier to manage their numbers.

Learning how to steath is handy, but more important is knowing when and how to pick fights in an intelligent manner so you're starting out in a good position and are knocking out the biggest threats as soon as possible. Also try to get a rough understanding of when you got an alert called on you, because it's on a global cooldown and you can be far more aggressive at taking out enemies when you know they can't call a breach/dropship on you.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://i.imgur.com/grx0GTu.mp4

Been enjoying the helldiver special on bile titans, railcannon + quasar headshot that impact at same time to instakill. (video unrelated just got a long range headshot to finish off a BT which looked cool at the time due to all the fog but now in tiny gif form is un-watchable lol)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BitBasher posted:

Even 3 extra per mag would make a significant difference IMHO.

They need to add back in weapon upgrades from the first game. Gimme 50% bigger mags I need to upgrade.

Edit: In the original game the Plasma gun got two upgrades that had to be researched. The first doubled magazine size, the second lit on fire anything in the blast zone.

there was an entire weapon customization system and a million more sample types used for research that were seemingly cut at some point in development. maybe they'll come back.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

there was an entire weapon customization system and a million more sample types used for research that were seemingly cut at some point in development. maybe they'll come back.

I swear one of the developers posted that their biggest regret was not getting weapon mods in at launch, but now I can't seem to find it.

Technically that also doesn't mean they are still coming, but I'm hopeful.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

I really hope they do, but seeing like Breaker/Liberator variants being categorized as totally differrnt weapons vs their baseline makes me think any datamined stuff was never meant to be implemented :(

And tbh them not having that system lets them fill Warbonds with more stuff which may be intentional

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

weapon/strat customization is def at the top of my dream list for the game, after they fix all the crash issues and add a third faction

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Teratrain posted:

BitBasher posted:

If you want to play solo you pretty much need to avoid engagement and stealth as much as possible at any other than the lowest difficulties.

However, IMHO the real trick is:

That. Just drop into quick play.

Edit: I find the Scorcher, Shield, Quasar combo great against bots. But, you have to be conservative with scorcher ammo. You can't just lead plasma hose. Two hits to anywhere on the upper body of a strider kills it. One hit to any small bots. Berzerkers are doable but use a lot of ammo. The Quasar two shots tanks anywhere and turret towers anywhere but the mantlet, and murders dropship with engine hits. Feels good.

I literally quickplay 99% of time and its a blast. Some games you get potato players who die to the same environment hazards over and over, other games you get solid level 50s (before the patch) who were smooth operators. You're goal is to steer them to victory, even drag them unwillingly if necessary

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dandywalken posted:

I really hope they do, but seeing like Breaker/Liberator variants being categorized as totally differrnt weapons vs their baseline makes me think any datamined stuff was never meant to be implemented :(

And tbh them not having that system lets them fill Warbonds with more stuff which may be intentional

i could see a relatively limited series of upgrades being implemented

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

For the Qasar, where do you aim in 3rd person for a precise shot - the fixed dot in the center, the wobbly circle that goes below it when charging, or somewhere in between? I'm fine with it for Charger/Ttian heads and stuff, but when I need precision for things like fabricator vents or hulk eyes I'm not sure where exactly it's impacting to thread that needle. I've had mixed luck when trying to be that precise with it.

Also, can Qasar/EATs destroy stratagem jammers or is that the domain of the Spear only?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hakarne posted:

For the Qasar, where do you aim in 3rd person for a precise shot - the fixed dot in the center, the wobbly circle that goes below it when charging, or somewhere in between? I'm fine with it for Charger/Ttian heads and stuff, but when I need precision for things like fabricator vents or hulk eyes I'm not sure where exactly it's impacting to thread that needle. I've had mixed luck when trying to be that precise with it.

Also, can Qasar/EATs destroy stratagem jammers or is that the domain of the Spear only?

the circle that moves around shows where your projectiles will go for every weapon in third person

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Hakarne posted:

You need to destroy the adjacent fabricator to kill the jammer. Anything that kills the fabricator kills the jammer, grenades, explosions, whatever. The spear works from range on the fabricator, which is ironically the best use of the spear, the long range building sniper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Chiming in about solo play to agree that it is not worth it. I had a hellish time completing a bug mission on medium where I was constantly swamped, constantly running out of stamina and getting knocked down. It doesn't help that I'm a fairly low level and don't have many stratagem options.