Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh great someone who doesn't even watch movies is running the watch movies competition

You can have a challenge a month early: SHUT UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crescent Wrench posted:

After extensive PM negotiations with Hollismason, reviewing Robert's Rules of Order, and scrutinizing the fine print of the Necronomicon, it has been decided I will take up the mantle of running the May Horror Challenge 2024. In other words...

:spooky: I'M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN :spooky:

So we harass you with our category decisions. Got it.

SCAVENGER HUNT

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The original Wicker Man is a musical and the remake didn't seem to realize that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What are other horror films with really good music like Wicker man? Well like uh, music that is actually perform in the movie like that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Snooze Cruise posted:

What are other horror films with really good music like Wicker man? Well like uh, music that is actually perform in the movie like that.

Lair of the White Worm! It's only one scene but it's a whopper.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

So we harass you with our category decisions. Got it.

SCAVENGER HUNT

I am ABSOLUTELY soliciting category ideas, anyone is encouraged to post em here or shoot me a PM.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Crescent Wrench posted:

I am ABSOLUTELY soliciting category ideas, anyone is encouraged to post em here or shoot me a PM.

What about using your own idea from this past October, the "That Guy" challenge which I thought was one of the more fun new challenges we did. Maybe a That Gal challenge for May instead? I like it as a potential new tradition for the challenges.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Crescent Wrench posted:

-Internet horror/haunted technology
-Watching a film and its remake together
-Something with legacy sequels so I can harass everyone into watching Psycho 2
-Musicals (which absolutely includes the original Wicker Man)
-Giant animal attacks is usually included and it's always a great category
-Rewatching a childhood favorite you haven't seen in years (I think this was in last year's maybe?)
-Old school anthologies, focusing on stuff earlier than I don't know, mid 90s. I want more people watching Amicus films.
-Films about dreams/altered consciousness. Could get spoilery I guess but there are lots of ones where that are up front plot points and not a twist. Nightmare on Elm Street obviously, but also Alerted States, Videodrome, Come True, etc

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 3, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
NOT HORROR Category where you watch one movie that is not categorized as horror but you explain why it is horrific to you.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Helldivers: watch a horror movie involving people going to hell

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

NOT HORROR Category where you watch one movie that is not categorized as horror but you explain why it is horrific to you.

"The gates are open."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A category based around watching something a now famous actor did very early in their career. Like how Billy Bob Thorton was in Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town, or Kevin Bacon in Ft13th I, or Crispin Glover in Ft13th IV or Jennifer Anniston in Leprechaun or…

Call it I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's what's on the inside that counts: watch something with parasites/creatures hiding inside people

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

What about using your own idea from this past October, the "That Guy" challenge which I thought was one of the more fun new challenges we did. Maybe a That Gal challenge for May instead? I like it as a potential new tradition for the challenges.

Oh yeah, I'd love to keep that theme running for sure.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

-Internet horror/haunted technology
-Watching a film and its remake together
-Something with legacy sequels so I can harass everyone into watching Psycho 2
-Musicals (which absolutely includes the original Wicker Man)
-Giant animal attacks is usually included and it's always a great category

I like these, I've also done the remake thing myself during challenges just for kicks, but it would a fun category to formalize.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow people have a lot of ideas, uhh... bedtime!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

A category based around watching something a now famous actor did very early in their career. Like how Billy Bob Thorton was in Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town, or Kevin Bacon in Ft13th I, or Crispin Glover in Ft13th IV or Jennifer Anniston in Leprechaun or…

Brad Pitt in the noes TV show

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Hollismason posted:

This is an awesome idea, it can also be used for movies that may not be horror but have great horror scenes or villains. As long as there's an explanation as to what makes it count for the poster!

I don't think I'll do the May challenge, as October is just the perfect time for me since I'm already usually locked in and binging movies then, but I'll still suggest categories and ideas!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Hollismason posted:

I love this one

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is great too!!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

This is an awesome idea, it can also be used for movies that may not be horror but have great horror scenes or villains. As long as there's an explanation as to what makes it count for the poster!

I don't think I'll do the May challenge, as October is just the perfect time for me since I'm already usually locked in and binging movies then, but I'll still suggest categories and ideas!

The may challenge is half as many movies fwiw

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’d like to thank the Academy

Horror movies by directors who have won Best Director OR Best Picture OR movies that feature Academy Award winning actors.

Thrilla in Manila

Southeast Asian Horror

Border Issues

Horror movies with a Country or U.S. State in its title

Hard Rock Horror

Horror movies about OR featuring real life Hard Rockers

I’m running this monkey farm now, Frankenstein!

Horror movies featuring killer monkeys, zombies, and/or Frankenstein(s)

Jolly Ole Saint Nick

Horror movies featuring Christmas themes or Nicolas Cage

Lucky Number Seven

Horror movies that are the “7th” in a franchise

Hematology

Horror movies with “blood”, “bloody”, “bleed”, “bled”, “bleeding”, etc. in the title

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 3, 2024

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kvlt Klassic

Watch a pure horror movie (no thrillers, sci-fi, etc)

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Crescent Wrench posted:

Oh yeah, I'd love to keep that theme running for sure.

I like these, I've also done the remake thing myself during challenges just for kicks, but it would a fun category to formalize.

I did it a few years ago with The House on Haunted Hill original and the remake back-to-back. It is a very fun challenge because you immediate identify the strengths/weaknesses in both (like things the remake hosed up on or flaws the original had that got fixed, that kind of thing) with that kind of watch.

As for a title for it,

WELL drat THEY RUINED IT

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

WeaponX posted:

I’m running this monkey farm now, Frankenstein!

Horror movies featuring killer monkeys, zombies, and/or Frankenstein(s)

Lol I love this one and I want to find one that includes all three

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Late Night with the Devil was very solid.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

The Game, cuz it has a spooky clown.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You’ll Never Find Me fuckin slaps.

Why are Aussies so good at horror movies?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Am I wrong or were there a couple basic continuity errors in Late Night with the Devil?

First, the title of the book seemed to first be announced as Lillith or whatever the girls name was, even though the cover on screen obviously had a different title. Later when that guest is introduced, they say the title that’s on the book.

Second, the James Randi-esque check is first said to be 100,000 dollars, then later they refer to it as 500,000. Did I miss them raising it at some point?

Assuming I’m not wrong, it kind of contributes to the shoddy feeling I get about the movie and its use of AI art. Just in general the whole thing felt a little too artificial, especially the cuts to people talking backstage that are in no way found footage. I couldn’t really get into it for that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just read someone’s social media post trying to get e-cred by saying they’ve seen Cannibal Holocaust but then referred to it as a zombie movie, what a poser.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd personally brag that I'd seen a good movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Lair of the White Worm! It's only one scene but it's a whopper.

But enough about the blowjob, how's the music?

Weissey
Aug 16, 2023
As someone who isn’t the biggest fan of jumpscares, I was wondering how I would do with movies such as When Evil Lurks and Evil Dead Rises. Wheresthejump.com doesn’t have either movie up.

Unrelated, but does anyone know where I could find a copy/stream Kōji Shiraishi’s Occult? I saw Noroi: The Curse last year on Shudder and was quite impressed and have heard great things about Occult.

Thanks!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Both those movies have some pretty big jump scares. Especially evil dead.

Where evil lurks has a few big ones

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

veni veni veni posted:

Being surrounded by creatures that can kill you probably got them in the right mindset to direct some good horror.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

fr0id posted:

Am I wrong or were there a couple basic continuity errors in Late Night with the Devil?

First, the title of the book seemed to first be announced as Lillith or whatever the girls name was, even though the cover on screen obviously had a different title. Later when that guest is introduced, they say the title that’s on the book.

Second, the James Randi-esque check is first said to be 100,000 dollars, then later they refer to it as 500,000. Did I miss them raising it at some point?

Assuming I’m not wrong, it kind of contributes to the shoddy feeling I get about the movie and its use of AI art. Just in general the whole thing felt a little too artificial, especially the cuts to people talking backstage that are in no way found footage. I couldn’t really get into it for that.

You did miss not!Randi upping the amount. Extremely minor spoiler I'm tagging so no one can complain He ups to 500k right after the psychic declares that he doesn't need the 100k.

No idea on the book title.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I thought Late Night With The Devil was kinda meh when it came to being scary tbh. It's a film I ended up wanting to like more than I actually liked it.

You'll Never Find Me has some insane production value and atmosphere for what's basically a two hander though, yeah.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I think they used AI art for like, three title cards? At that point just, uh, hire a human artist to copy it and swap them. AI and art is such a hot button issue, I get it. But having only learned about that after seeing the film, I think after a thousand watches I would never sense something amiss or off with the film enough to harm my enjoyment.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Snooze Cruise posted:

It'll maybe stretch the definition of good, depending how much you're okay with things being theatre kid adjacent, but Repo: The Genetic Opera.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Stage Fright (2014) was a $3 Best Buy DVD blind buy I picked up specifically for Meat Loaf and it's a really fun and charming horror musical that's a Phantom of the Opera pastiche with tons of camp and great songs and some brutal kills. Meat Loaf did not disappoint.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Snooze Cruise posted:

Phantom of the Paradise is an absolutely no-brainer immediate pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Weissey posted:

As someone who isn’t the biggest fan of jumpscares, I was wondering how I would do with movies such as When Evil Lurks and Evil Dead Rises. Wheresthejump.com doesn’t have either movie up.

Unrelated, but does anyone know where I could find a copy/stream Kōji Shiraishi’s Occult? I saw Noroi: The Curse last year on Shudder and was quite impressed and have heard great things about Occult.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qri3HnUQQ