Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean its also not just like, 'dramatic effect,' in japan specifically uniforms are associated with youth for what feels like kind of an obvious reason. and they are a big part of culture over there, like there's teenaged girls that will pick what high school to go to (since high schoolers over there have a bit more of a choice) partly based on how cute the uniform is. to an extent that sort of youth story *not* having uniforms if its set in some kind of school would feel weird to japanese people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like im not saying youre wrong to not personally like it or anything more just, its kinda inevitable from a jp thing playing in that kind of space

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
Yeah these are all very good points, and looking at some images of the Three Houses cast their uniform are much more personalized and unique than I remembered, I guess that playing the first Cold Steel in the past year influenced my memories.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it's not really fair to name ff2 and 3 since all three of the og final fantasies were essentially inventing the basic thematic and mechanical ideas the next generation of square rpgs would build on. like ff2 is kinda bad but there's also no SaGa without it and SaGa is sick

the really bad poo poo as far as rpgs is going to be in a league of its own for low completion rate. people will finish a fascinatingly bad rpg but almost no one's going to finish one that's just a pure slog with nothing cool to say about it

I also beat 3 PR within the past few years but I thought that version was great. I don't beat most games I play anyway, so thinking about which one was the 'worst' out of ones I have beaten is pretty hard!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Infinity Gaia posted:

I usually am fast to quit out of games that are bad, and I think most non-Barudak people are too, so I think a more interesting question is worst rpg you actually beat. For me that'd have to go to Suikoden 4. God that was a SLOG.

I have a hard enough time beating the games I actually like, and I'm struggling to think of beating a bad game. In terms of overall quality, I'd probably have to say Phantasy Star III is the worst game I've ever beaten. Then there are games that are technically proficient and well-loved but that I hated but still slogged through to the end in my idiot youth, like Chrono Cross. I probably would've beaten Lufia 1 if I could've but I got stuck somewhere in the submarine area and I was too dumb to figure it out and too poor internet so I abandoned it because honestly I hated it in spite of Lufia 2 being still one of my favorite rpgs.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

microfolk posted:

Yeah these are all very good points, and looking at some images of the Three Houses cast their uniform are much more personalized and unique than I remembered, I guess that playing the first Cold Steel in the past year influenced my memories.

The CS 2 cast have really boss jackets, so there’s that.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

If we're narrowing down to worst games actually beaten, then proooobably (in that I can meaningfully remember it) the original Fairy Fencer F. Most of the characters are just the flattest trope-piles, the somewhat interesting premise feels squandered, the difficulty rapidly snaps in half so there's no real challenge, the humor in what's supposed to be a comedy RPG is dire. The funniest stuff feels like it's just accidentally funny. It also pulls a time-rewind reset button mid-game to have an excuse to send you through all the exact same dungeons again with no real variation at all in the second half. I finished it mostly out of spite, including to my future self who I knew would decide to give it another chance if I left it undone.

The actual best part of the game is the twink barbarian being given a really heavy stereotypical Canadian accent in the English dub - like Bob and Doug Mckenzie heavy. I don't recall him calling anyone a hoser but it would've fit.

By most other people's judgment, though, I bet the actual worst RPG I've beaten is Return to Krondor, which I will fully admit is incredibly rough, but was something I played obsessively for a while as a teen and which I still look back upon fondly. I am still weirdly in love with the long chunk in the middle where you go wondering across the countryside between Krondor and the next chunk of the main plot, fighting random goblins and trolls and having to set your wizards on alchemy duty to replenish your potion supply because there are no shops.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Probably the worst I finished was either the Third Birthday, because I wondered in vain where they were going with that nonsense, or the legacy of goku, which I honestly forgot I played through until somebody recently brought it up in the thread. Just so broken and forgettable. And short, which is probably the only reason I finished it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

legacy of goku 2 isnt even *that* good (its like a 7.5/10) but the gap in quality between 1 and 2 might be one of the biggest sequel improvements in video game history.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

I usually am fast to quit out of games that are bad, and I think most non-Barudak people are too, so I think a more interesting question is worst rpg you actually beat. For me that'd have to go to Suikoden 4. God that was a SLOG.

For me it's definitely Lunar: Dragon Song. Can't target enemies, only one of your party members does any real amounts of damage and he gets nerfed for a portion of the game early on, new party members join at level 1, you can pick either gaining exp or items from battle, running on the maps drains your HP, and the story is just a rehash of Lunar 1 but worse. I bought a DS for that game and thank god I also got Mario Kart DS around the same time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Third Birthday is not the worst game I've finished that I didn't have to finish for job reasons, but it is absolutely the game I finished that I hated the most. Just fuckin' loathed. There are genuinely worse games I've disliked less. It's just the perfect combo of being an annoying sequel, having annoying mechanics, and slathering just enough creepiness over the whole thing that it becomes hard to even give the rare things it does right credit.

I kept gambling on the ending maybe having some payoff I wouldn't hate and instead it was... that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There are enough good RPGs that I enjoyed playing that I still haven't finished that my "worst completed RPG" is still probably fairly above average.

Off the top of my head, it might be Breath of Fire 2, which was bad but was also weird and interesting enough to hold my attention.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Endorph posted:

legacy of goku 2 isnt even *that* good (its like a 7.5/10) but the gap in quality between 1 and 2 might be one of the biggest sequel improvements in video game history.
:yeah:

LoG2 is Fine. It's a popcorn game that looks and plays okay without really doing anything amazing. If you're a DB junkie looking for a fix, it would fill that void. But the gulf in quality between it and LoG1 is immediately apparent upon gaining control of your playable character, it's that obviously better.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
It took me like 12 years to finish Earthbound because I started playing it on zSNES in like 1997 and then that computer died and I didn't start playing it again until the Mother 3 fan translation came out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is PSO2:NGS a JRPG or an MMO? Either way I finally quit playing that after like a year despite being excited to see it coming to PS4 initially. 35 hours of grinding to buy one giant boob accessory. Less bureaucracy than real life but still a slog.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Discussion of Dragon Ball Z and terrible RPGs has reminded me that I've beaten Chou Saiya Densetsu multiple times. Worth it for Mode 7 Raditz.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

Is PSO2:NGS a JRPG or an MMO? Either way I finally quit playing that after like a year despite being excited to see it coming to PS4 initially. 35 hours of grinding to buy one giant boob accessory. Less bureaucracy than real life but still a slog.

It's a mmo/online rpg

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The worst rpg I've played from start to finish, at least that I can remember, is Tales of Arise. I really enjoyed it up to the fourth Lord boss fight, having to drop the difficulty because of its sponginess sucked. But then the game just took a nosedive from there and there was pretty much no coming back once the second opening played. I did think the credits were really cute though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i got arise on steam family sharing now so i could play it... theoretically... at some point... after i play all the tales games that actually look good to me

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
a lot of this discussion is boiling down to a old-ish media criticism question, which is "Is it worse for a piece of media to be boring, or outright bad?"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
like the point of art is to provoke a reaction, and like it or not, revulsion, anger, annoyance, those are emotional reactions

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I feel like disappointment is actually the worst reaction to something but it requires one to start with expectations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Junpei posted:

like the point of art is to provoke a reaction, and like it or not, revulsion, anger, annoyance, those are emotional reactions

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Snooze Cruise posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i mean, the point of modern art is that the emotion it's trying to provoke is confusion, to further the question of 'what even is art, really'

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Junpei posted:

i mean, the point of modern art is that the emotion it's trying to provoke is confusion, to further the question of 'what even is art, really'

ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

d-. see me after class.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
no one actually knows what modernism means. i mean look i don't know what it means either, everyone who says they do are just lying to you. post modernism is just when a video game talks to you, way easier to understand.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

art does tend to provoke emotions, that much is true... but uh, i don't think it makes much sense to bring it up when people are talking about lunar dragon song or w/e.

anyways its by no means The Worst but i was highly disappointed by golden sun dark dawn as a kid after TLA

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

The equipment system in Tales of Zestiria is like Marina Abramovic in a way,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NBA FAN !!!!!!! posted:

The equipment system in Tales of Zestiria is like Marina Abramovic in a way,
its more like duchamp because its the toilet

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
You can't say game is bad cuz like "what bad?"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

You can't say game is bad cuz like "what bad?"

game bad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

I hate NGS so much, it ruined everything that long time players liked about PSO2. No one asked for an open world MMORPG out of PSO2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

disposablewords posted:

In Settings -> Account -> Account Details, there's a "Store Preferences" page where you can put in tags to ignore. (Or, you can click on your name in the upper right on the client and select "Store Preferences" there.) It's also the page where you can set the sexual content filters.

This seems to work, thank you so much!!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Post modernism is when you make a post that has modernism in it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kind of, yeah

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
If something ends up being boring, I could at least see myself playing it again to perhaps give it another shot at some point down the road, which I've done. If I end up hating it, then it doesn't get that second chance unless someone whose opinion I care about makes a convincing enough case.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's hard to say what the worst RPG I've completed is.
Firstly because I give up on games very easily.
Secondly because the definition of 'RPG' is very hazy and a game will tag itself as one just because you level up and gain points and maybe occasionally make a dialogue choice.

Unironically I believe that in the same way as 'first-person shooter' is a genre described by the thing you do (shoot things in first person), 'menu fighter' is a better term for games where the primary gameplay is fighting things via menu options.

But to pick a game I did play to completion, and where I did occasionally engage in violence via a menu, I would go with The Council as the worst, though it labels itself as a 'narrative adventure game'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9iPspBGh0c

It does actually have skills you spend XP on, and to accomplish a skill test you spend willpower equal to the difference between the task difficulty and your skill. You also have inventory management to do! Some potions restore willpower, some make your next skill test only cost 1 willpower no matter what, etc.

The game starts off with a promising if goofy concept of "What if you were part of basically the Templars from the Assassin's Creed series" and only gets goofier from there. Bearing in mind that episode 1 has you meeting George Washington and Napoleon Bonaparte. My favourite part of that is that Napoleon has a ridiculous French accent, but our hero and protagonist Louis de Richet is also French but speaks with an American accent.

I think my 'favourite' goofy part is that the game, despite being designed episodically, was released as one large whole. Episode 3 is entirely devoted to a complex combination lock puzzle, and you can wander the grounds of the rest of it to get clues to it. This means you can miss swathes of episode 3 'content' (in terms of dialogue with characters) simply by being smart and knowing you have enough information to solve the puzzle.

Terrible game with a terrible story and awful voice acting. But I did kind of appreciate what they were trying with the skill system. Too bad they went on to make Vampire Swansong which was apparently equally bad.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In my early weeaboo years I remember playing an RPG maker title that ticked every box. Edgelord tone? Sprites ripped out of Castlevania? Completely hosed balancing? All yes.

But what pissed me off was that one of the party members is an unpleasant dude in glasses. Every scene with him has him killing somebody with a post hoc justification given afterwards. At the two thirds mark you kill the apparent big bad, but then glasses guy reveals two party members are actually in cahoots with the real menace. These two party members either kill themselves or get killed by glasses guy.

These two party members were also the main characters. You started with them and played as them long before you recruited the glasses guy. I have no idea how that game ended, because it was likely created by a weeb no older than myself, and so the challenge was completely hosed. Blades of Heaven, I think it was called.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted: