Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Had to go through my Steam library to refresh my memory, but apparently I Iogged 70-80 hours on Sacred 2 Gold despite being it being the action rpg equivalent of dino chicken nuggets

Professor Moriarty fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

you also can't just download pso2 without ngs so if you want to play pso2 you have to accept this extra 100gb weight on your hard drive lol

Yeah, they updated it so you can play NGS without downloading PSO2, but not the reverse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Agh another thing unbidden about Lunar Dragon Song. The way you make money is by delivering items. Items are gotten through fighting in item mode and are in no way guaranteed or common. The quests for delivery are random, and can make you go across multiple dungeons to drop stuff off compared to where you are and where the items can be farmed.

Heres where it gets fun, some enemies can randomly steal your delivery items.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunar Dragon Song is the kind of game where "they designed it wrong, as a joke" is somehow a more logical explanation than anyone being that bad at game design.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

what are some isekai jrpgs?
Like I know the mainstream famous ones like FFX, Chrono Cross, Ni No Kuni, Kingdom Heart
any lesser known titles to be aware of, not counting games that came from isekai series like .hack/sao, looking for ones with their own original story.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

.hack is an original story...it was a multimedia project from its inception.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Like I know the mainstream famous ones like FFX, Chrono Cross, Ni No Kuni, Kingdom Heart
any lesser known titles to be aware of, not counting games that came from isekai series like .hack/sao, looking for ones with their own original story.

Depends on how you're qualifying Isekai.

Does Star Ocean count, since it's "people from a future world end up in a fantasy world" instead of a modern world?
What about Brave Fencer Musashi where there isn't really a 'modern' element in play, just a parallel world element?
Does raw dimension travel count, like in Super Robot Wars?
Would Majora's Mask count since Link travels to an alternate dimension?
I assume FFX counts so maybe Utawarerumono would?
Does Shin Megami Tensei V count? What about SMTIV which is kind of a reverse?
I assume Digimon Survive would, as would Forspoken.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 3, 2024

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Wouldn’t SMT 3 and 4 count as Isekai?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does it count as Isekai if you're actually in a fantasy world that exists inside the dying mind of Frederic Chopin?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

GateOfD posted:

Pokemon Legends: Arceus

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

TheMightyBoops posted:

Wouldn’t SMT 3 and 4 count as Isekai?

SMT 1 technically, too.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and all of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.

Dragon Quest Monsters 1 is setup like one too, although in that case Terry gets isekai'd from a Dragon Quest world to a slightly different Dragon Quest world.

Edit: Magi Nation for the GBC is the deepest cut I can think of that's unambiguously an RPG and unambiguously an isekai narrative.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 3, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, isekai is defined as "a Japanese genre of science or fantasy fiction featuring a protagonist who is transported to or reincarnated in a different, strange, or unfamiliar world."

So arguably even Persona 3/4/5 count.

(I just wanted the excuse to go "Well, according to the DICTIONARY" for isekai.)

Edit:
Nier is an isekai.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 3, 2024

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Super Mario Bros is an isekai.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

Does it count as Isekai if you're actually in a fantasy world that exists inside the dying mind of Frederic Chopin?

To this day, I still don't understand why they wrote a dull Tales game story but just added that it was all in Chopin's head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

D.Fuzzbot posted:

To this day, I still don't understand why they wrote a dull Tales game story but just added that it was all in Chopin's head.

To be honest if they didn't I don't think a single person alive would remember the game.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I'd like to hear the pitch meeting for it. Just at the last second reading the negative reaction to dull fantasy jrpg one of them just blurts out "BUT ITS ALL IN FREDERICK CHOPIN'S MIND WHILE HES DYING!"

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Worst RPG I've finished is Fairy Fencer, worst RPG I haven't is Dark Rose Valkyrie. Really, the entirety of Compile Heart's extended library is just terrible to mediocre, especially since they just stuff the exact same awful crafting system into every game they make (or at least I assume they're still doing this).

The game I hate most that I've finished though is Tales of Zestiria, but it had characters I remember and like so I can't say it's the worst.

ImpAtom posted:

I've finished that game and I'm still not convinced it wasn't a fever dream.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, isekai is defined as "a Japanese genre of science or fantasy fiction featuring a protagonist who is transported to or reincarnated in a different, strange, or unfamiliar world."

So arguably even Persona 3/4/5 count.

(I just wanted the excuse to go "Well, according to the DICTIONARY" for isekai.)

Edit:
Nier is an isekai.

I would make the argument to be an isekai the protagonist who’s spirited away has limited to no contact with their former world for a majority or all of the runtime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

I would make the argument to be an isekai the protagonist who’s spirited away has limited to no contact with their former world for a majority or all of the runtime.

.. wait, does that mean Kagome from Inuyasha isn't an isekai protagonist?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

.. wait, does that mean Kagome from Inuyasha isn't an isekai protagonist?

Listen I just make the rules.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Tangential, but in those early days it seemed like the PS3 was going to miss out on a lot of jrpgs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
crying with my launch ps3 as all the japanese studios abandon me to give the xbox 360 their big name classics like infinite undiscovery and blue dragon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sometimes i think about how tales of vesperia singlehandedly pushed about 100k xbox 360s in japan. and then the ps3 release a year later got 10x those sales

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i miss the "Xbox tries to sell in Japan" period

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also genuinely kind of sad/funny how I think every single X-Box Exclusive JRPG got a PS3 release with more content and bug fixes shortly down the line.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cries in Lost Odyssey

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

TheMightyBoops posted:

I admit to a perverse desire to see what we'd get if John Carter of Mars was picked up by one of the weirder or more whimsical Japanese game devs or manga writers. See where they'd take it, coming from a different cultural background and freedom to keep what they want from the original and toss out whatever they don't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Cries in Lost Odyssey

Oh, true. Shame on that one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
microsoft trying for years to court bandai namco while bamco is like "uhhh sure. here we made an exclusive fps for you (that's just a weird experimental brawler we couldn't put anywhere else and has a part where you vomit into a toilet in first person.) for your next generation console we will give you an exclusive entry in the tales of series (that's an unfinished version because we want to release the full game on ps3) and the first console entry in idolm@ster (all of the sequels are going to be playstation exclusive). we've even cooked up the newest console entry in the ridge racer series (we're going to release ridge racer 7 on ps3 a year later.) and uh here's mr. driller online i guess"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No Dignity posted:

Cries in Lost Odyssey

Thankfully it is on the Xbox Series X and Series S consoles, now available at Best Buy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

microsoft trying for years to court bandai namco while bamco is like "uhhh sure. here we made an exclusive fps for you (that's just a weird experimental brawler we couldn't put anywhere else and has a part where you vomit into a toilet in first person.) for your next generation console we will give you an exclusive entry in the tales of series (that's an unfinished version because we want to release the full game on ps3) and the first console entry in idolm@ster (all of the sequels are going to be playstation exclusive). we've even cooked up the newest console entry in the ridge racer series (we're going to release ridge racer 7 on ps3 a year later.) and uh here's mr. driller online i guess"

To be fair Breakdown owned.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Thankfully it is on the Xbox Series X and Series S consoles, now available at Best Buy.

And iirc it emulates decently enough

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
at least they got sega to give them panzer dragoon, jet set radio, crazy taxi and a really weird arcade shooter nobody really paid attention to for real, no strings attached. you can only ever trust hitmaker

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Why did bamco release a bare bones, cut down version of Taiko no Tatsujin exclusively for Xbox, last year.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there was also koei tecmo giving them crimson sea. before, releasing crimson sea 2 on ps2 two years later lmfao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair Breakdown owned.

as a fan of the first person brawler niche who's played zeno clash more times than anyone should i've been waiting for xbox emulation to get good enough that i can give it a look

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It's also genuinely kind of sad/funny how I think every single X-Box Exclusive JRPG got a PS3 release with more content and bug fixes shortly down the line.

infinite undiscovery, blue dragon, and lost odyssey are still xbox 360 exclusive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Breakdown is also on the Xbox Series X and Series S home consoles, now available at Best Buy. Sonycels in shambles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Why did bamco release a bare bones, cut down version of Taiko no Tatsujin exclusively for Xbox, last year.

Speaking of, what is the current best version of that series to play?