Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Clarste posted:

If there's some bottleneck where you have to do B before C or it fails to trigger, that simply means they didn't make it complicated enough.

Most of it is just due to having state changes and long rest triggers. They built in a staggering number of options to keep you out of "But I already killed the bandits!" situations and that's really cool. My (admittedly pretty minor) peeve is that the triggers are hidden so you need online resources to not trip them, but they're so specific that you invariably wind up reading spoilers.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hag bugged out during conversation and screwed me out of my skill boost. 0/10 game is garbage do not buy

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You can cheat engine it or script extender it if you are on PC. You might’ve reloaded by now.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Woolie Wool posted:

If I do a Durge run and aim to enslave the Absolute to Bhaal are there any run-ending traps to watch out for? I have heard under certain conditions The Emperor will see your attempt to betray him at the last moment and enthrall you because he is holding the Netherstones and you're not and I'm sure Orpheus or Karlach wouldn't approve of me doing an Amelyssan either.

I don't think this is true. It's just a choice between the good or bad ending.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 3, 2024

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Goddamn, Jaheria is hard to keep alive. Everyone else is at 75% health, boss is at 25% health, but shes at 3 hit points.

Guess we'll see you next campaign. :commissar:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mailer posted:

Most of it is just due to having state changes and long rest triggers. They built in a staggering number of options to keep you out of "But I already killed the bandits!" situations and that's really cool. My (admittedly pretty minor) peeve is that the triggers are hidden so you need online resources to not trip them, but they're so specific that you invariably wind up reading spoilers.

Can you give some examples of plot things you needed to research before playing?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

feller posted:

Can you give some examples of plot things you needed to research before playing?

A mix of ones I've either tripped over, or not tripped over because I hit the wiki, or read about so I didn't trip over:

Kill Thorm before lifting the curse (locked out of Halsin, probably breaks a bunch of Last Light stuff too)
All the grove quests becoming null and void the second you whack the goblin bosses
The order of operations for getting the owlbear cub
Murdering Last Light because it looks like the kidnapping is just going to happen as a plot point
The abomination bartender that looks like an infinite series of DC21 checks unless you click a dialog option that autokills him for no reason
Waukeen's Rest long rest trigger
Nere cave-in long rest trigger

I've had a few others where google revealed it was just a bug so I reloaded or did something to mitigate it, but those are pretty rare.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Someone lied to you several times.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Seriously. A lot of this is bullshit.

quote:

Kill Thorm before lifting the curse (locked out of Halsin, probably breaks a bunch of Last Light stuff too)
I actually did this once and it was no big deal. Just wrapped up Halsin’s quests before I left. Last Light was just fine, though. You also get the big ARE YOU SURE pop up before you can do the Ketheric fight that is a good chance to pause and look at your quest log to figure out anything you might have missed.

quote:

All the grove quests becoming null and void the second you whack the goblin bosses
ish - the only thing you can goof up is exposing Kagha, which doesn’t materially change the overall outcome since Halsin still just gets back and tears her a new one.

quote:

The order of operations for getting the owlbear cub
Very intuitive and has a few failsafes. Just talk to it in the Goblin Camp and don’t aggro it or kill it before you convince it that it’s safe to come to your camp.

quote:

Murdering Last Light because it looks like the kidnapping is just going to happen as a plot point
What? No. I mean, do your evil run any way you like but I’ve saved Last Light on all of my dozen plus runs through the game.

quote:

The abomination bartender that looks like an infinite series of DC21 checks unless you click a dialog option that autokills him for no reason
What? No, again. You can kill him through dialogue trees but it’s cool and good and makes perfect sense.

quote:

Waukeen's Rest long rest trigger
Nere cave-in long rest trigger
Both of these are stupid obvious. “Don’t leave the scene of a burning building or cave-in full of poison without helping out.” Like, you can see the fire or get psychic visions of the poison. Couldn’t be more obvious.

As long as you’re exploring and paying attention, the game lays out its paths really, really well. The only thing I think is truly unintuitive is that you can and should do both the Underdark and the Mountain Pass. Get aallll that XP and loot and all the companion character development.

I wonder how much of the advice out there is based on much earlier patches, like how even in this thread people said not to use karmic dice because of something one guy claimed to have data-mined in early access that was patched out before the game even went live.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I admit I accidentally let the inn burn down the first time because I went back to camp to switch Wyll into my party (it just sounded like he'd want to be there), but once you understand the game logic of "if there is an ongoing and urgent situation, you do not have time to rest or go back to camp" it's fairly straightforward. Or rather, it would be completely obvious outside of a weird metagaming perspective that you can trick yourself into having.

It is also pretty blatantly telegraphed that you can make the undead bartender drink so much that he'll explode like a Monty Python sketch.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
is there a 'what does tali's sweat taste like' breakdown about why egg-born githyanki have breasts

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Loel posted:

Goddamn, Jaheria is hard to keep alive. Everyone else is at 75% health, boss is at 25% health, but shes at 3 hit points.

Guess we'll see you next campaign. :commissar:

There's conversation options where she joins you as a temp follower. Much easier because you get to control her directly and stop her from blindly rushing in to a crowd of enemies.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is there a 'what does tali's sweat taste like' breakdown about why egg-born githyanki have breasts

There's also a conversation for this, with Lae'zel. IIRC she says they evolved (might be gifted from their goddess) to lay eggs so they can keep on fighting.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Githyanki laying eggs completely falls apart if you think about it even slightly, so don't do that

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Fantasy poo poo don't need to make sense

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

They're monotremes. :science:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Monotremes don't have breasts either, they just sort of sweat the milk out into their fur for the babies to suck on.

That said, if we assume that Gith are just some entirely alien species unconnected to Earth evolution, then technically there's no reason an egg-laying species can't also have breasts.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't know why you would apply rules of evolution to a setting that is canonically only something like 35,000 years old, and features literal creation gods who can do whatever they feel like.

Having said that, the Gith are explicitly altered/created by the Illithids to be their servant race and have been significantly changed from whatever species they began from. So the real answer as to why they have breasts is 'Illithids are weirdos' and we can more or less leave it at that.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

fireball violatyes the laws of thermodynamics and i won't have it

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Ashcans posted:

I don't know why you would apply rules of evolution to a setting that is canonically only something like 35,000 years old, and features literal creation gods who can do whatever they feel like.

Having said that, the Gith are explicitly altered/created by the Illithids to be their servant race and have been significantly changed from whatever species they began from. So the real answer as to why they have breasts is 'Illithids are weirdos' and we can more or less leave it at that.

Illithids love big titties

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
In act 1 during Alfira's quest to help her with a song, she plays a lute in a cutscene- yet she produces two clearly different instrumental tones. I mean what are we to believe this is some sort of a magic lute or smth??

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Goatson posted:

In act 1 during Alfira's quest to help her with a song, she plays a lute in a cutscene- yet she produces two clearly different instrumental tones. I mean what are we to believe this is some sort of a magic lute or smth??

wizard lute

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Geekboy posted:

Seriously. A lot of this is bullshit.

It's entirely possible that some of the stuff I pulled from the wiki is wrong, but also I'm not spending the hours to test each thing. From stuff I've personally seen yes the pre/post grove state change affects almost all of the quests - Dammon is still technically available. The barkeep I thought I had to outdrink will happily drink for ~6 DC21 checks, which is as far as I got before I hit the wiki to find a speech option that looks like flavor text but also autokills... for reasons. Some quests are fine forever despite seeming urgent and some terminate if you rest too much. I'm not sure if the whole owlbear thing requires hitting the lair first, but again that's a wiki pull. If Nere is poisoned I had no idea, because I failed that check.

I'm not raging against the game here. My only comment is that trying to wiki things to make sure you don't miss an item/character/whatever winds up generating spoilers because the triggers are so specific.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This go-around I used a runepowder barrel to kill Nere. And all but two evil dwarves. Somehow my party and my video card survived that explosion.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

runepowder barrels rule. last game I found out there are more in the ironhand gnomes hideout, very exciting.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mailer posted:

It's entirely possible that some of the stuff I pulled from the wiki is wrong, but also I'm not spending the hours to test each thing. From stuff I've personally seen yes the pre/post grove state change affects almost all of the quests - Dammon is still technically available. The barkeep I thought I had to outdrink will happily drink for ~6 DC21 checks, which is as far as I got before I hit the wiki to find a speech option that looks like flavor text but also autokills... for reasons. Some quests are fine forever despite seeming urgent and some terminate if you rest too much. I'm not sure if the whole owlbear thing requires hitting the lair first, but again that's a wiki pull. If Nere is poisoned I had no idea, because I failed that check.

I'm not raging against the game here. My only comment is that trying to wiki things to make sure you don't miss an item/character/whatever winds up generating spoilers because the triggers are so specific.

There’s no autokill option. You’re supposed to do the checks.

Do I understand correctly that you want to be able to look up everything for some kind of completionist first run while avoiding all spoilers?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

Gnolls loving rule, they're so metal. Yeenoghu the demon lord makes them insatiably hungry to the extent that it makes them violently and irretrievably insane, and their gift to him is the flesh they gorge on after going on rabid slaughter rampages. After butchering everyone and everything they come across, whole towns and caravans and fields of livestock, they drag the carcasses into big piles around the smoldering ruins they've made, devouring them, sometimes vomiting up the contents of their stomachs into the gore nests because they've choked the flesh down too quickly and too voluminously.

When the gore nests get to a sufficient size, they become a portal to Yeenoghu's Seeping Woods in the Abyss, and more fully grown gnolls start growing in veiny, fleshy cysts within the corpse pile. They crawl out, screaming and steaming and starving and wet with stinking puke and viscera, immediately going on a rampage for flesh to sate the curse of their slavering hunger.

They're like zombies but way WAY worse, they are just about the worst thing that can happen to an area.

Just to make it even more metal, dead gnolls can be cannibalized by their fellows and reanimated as skeletons called Witherlings that accompany their old crew as extra muscle.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

feller posted:

Do I understand correctly that you want to be able to look up everything for some kind of completionist first run while avoiding all spoilers?

I guess if not inadvertently failing things is completionist... yes? I don't consider a 100+ hour stretch a run-based game. I expect inconsistency and jank (not to mention bugs) in any game with a big scope. It's barely worth mentioning beyond saying that the triggers are fiddly and trying to mitigate that by looking stuff up tends to spoil a lot due to the specific nature of the options you pick.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
With rare exceptions, they’re really not fiddly though.

You’re way, way, way, way overthinking this. This isn’t an MMO launched in 2003 or Cyberpunk 2077 at launch or something like that.

You can’t see everything in one go. In more than a dozen completed games, I’ve still never seen some of the evil content. There’s several end game states I’ve never seen for the companions because I can’t bear to force them to live their worst lives.

Give that up and just play the game.

The game works best when you just let the chips fall where they may, especially on your first/only play through. Being obsessed with this since before it launched was a gift because I just played through the game before there was a lot to read or watch about what acts 2 and 3 were like. I made choices the first 2 times I haven’t made since then.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can easily see almost everything in one go if you look it up. don't think there was anything i missed other than durge stuff on my first run.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

it's ok to miss things (imo)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Jay Rust posted:

it's ok to miss things (imo)

Unless it is attack rolls

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It depends on how you define seeing everything. Like to use an example from earlier you can't have both the bossfight with the bartender and the outcome where you talk him to death for obvious reasons. But this isn't a Fromsoft game where the event flags can be something totally innocuous and have no in-universe justification for how those two events are related, they're almost always really, really spelled out in the dialogue or the story.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 3, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

you def can't see everything because their are a lot of narration changes that are different for each origin character. And there's poo poo like Evil Wyll if you play as him, or Karlach romancing Minthara which probably has Minthara's best voice acted part in the whole drat game during their ending.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i prefer to experience content instead of missing it. but i think it's okay if other people feel differently.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BG3 is such a huge game that you could do what reasonably feels like everything, but have still missed 20+ hours of content through unlikely dialogue choices or really well-hidden secret areas. Which is good.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

if you just look it up you're definitely not going to miss 20+ hours of content, and i do look it up. it's ftw.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
On my first playthrough I missed both scratch and the owlbear cub lmao

Dudes were like "our cult leader got killed by an owlbear" and I was like "skill issue, goodbye"

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

BG3 is such a huge game that you could do what reasonably feels like everything, but have still missed 20+ hours of content through unlikely dialogue choices or really well-hidden secret areas. Which is good.

yeah. it would be a much worse and sillier game if it were designed instead from the ground up to permit you to 100% all content ever no missables on a lone single save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Morrow posted:

Just to make it even more metal, dead gnolls can be cannibalized by their fellows and reanimated as skeletons called Witherlings that accompany their old crew as extra muscle.

God drat I love me some D&D.

Also, it seems so strange to me that Larian painstakingly modeled several different ranks of gnoll, gave them stats and mechanics and animations and gear and sound effects, and then used them for one single fight and then you never see one again for the next 115 hours (unless there's a sudden reappearance somewhere in the back half of act 3 that I'm unaware of).