Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The biggest disappointment with the AC is you really can’t/shouldn’t wear a jetpack so the bounty hunter Mandalorian meta is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

LazyMaybe posted:

You can keep attacking the abdomen even after it's popped with high enough pen weapons to fully kill the bile titan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ2pfkmktjs

Noteworthy right at the start there, heavy machinegun is one of the weapons with enough pen to do this!

Oh sure but it's way cooler just to put them down immediately the first time it opens it's mouth.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorelab posted:

All it really needs is letting you team reload off the wielder's backpack.

This is a really weird oversight yeah.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Lobok posted:

Is there a setting for numerical ammo counts that I've never seen?

Can you reload? No = you have 6 or more loaded. Eventually you learn what 6 looks like

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

smellmycheese posted:

Or just complete idiots

Yea or like, actual kids.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah you put in two cartridges of 5. You learn what half the clip looks like quickly.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Sagebrush posted:

This is a really weird oversight yeah.

I'd say it's deliberate, the AC with a teammate loading it is loving monstrous and making that too accessible would probably be too much.

E) they really need to like, at least double the magazine size of the HMG, gimme a 200+ box of link, cmon

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 3, 2024

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Sagebrush posted:

I have probably taken the autocannon in 98 out of 100 missions played since I unlocked it. I wish I could use some of the other backpacks, but the autocannon is just too goddamn good.

For bots I recommend trying the AMR, if you haven't already and you want to try backpacks. It hits most of the same breakpoints on enemies as the AC, including 2-shotting hulk face, except it's 2 shots to strider faceplate rather than one and it doesn't close factories. In exchange you can reload while moving, hipfire it at very close range to saw berserkers in half without risking blowing yourself up and have a backpack slot. The recent buff of +30% damage was kinda wild given how good it already was for bots, but I'll take it.

AC is an amazing gun, probably the best all-round weapon in the game, but it's in a good spot balance-wise because of how powerful backpacks are. By comparison Recoilless Rifle and Spear just don't seem good enough to make up for the loss of a backpack in most cases, especially not now the quasar exists.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Bondematt posted:

I keep jumping between AC and Queso with Shield.

They are both great, and I just pick the opposite of what everyone else is doing.

Shield con Queso

Gorelab posted:

I'm really amused by the group of players who seem to think the Quasar is this amazing wonder weapon, because it's good in it's role, but it's legit a side-grade to the EAT and RR, yet people apparently are acting like it's this amazing a anti-medium and I'm just so confused.

Quasar is legit amazing with a scorcher. The scorcher murders mediums and the Quasar can take basically everything else.

Sagebrush posted:

... the autocannon is just too goddamn good.

- comes with 110 rounds

60 rounds unless I am missing something? 10 rounds in the gun plus 10 5 round magazines visible in the backpack.

Edit: also after the patch the Arc cannon is still really good. You can now straight at unlock Berzerkers and Hulks to death without them doing squat. The shorter range is mildly annoying but it's still very workable. The Arc can still jump farther than the initial contact range.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 3, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
players actually running increased reinforcement budget/flexible reinforcement budget is still my #1 red flag when joining randoms

Tommy the Newt posted:

For bots I recommend trying the AMR, if you haven't already and you want to try backpacks. It hits most of the same breakpoints on enemies as the AC, including 2-shotting hulk face, except it's 2 shots to strider faceplate rather than one and it doesn't close factories. In exchange you can reload while moving, hipfire it at very close range to saw berserkers in half without risking blowing yourself up and have a backpack slot. The recent buff of +30% damage was kinda wild given how good it already was for bots, but I'll take it.
I am an AMR lover but it needs to be said that AMR's sight is misaligned, and its shots hit a bit higher than the center of the reticle.
Line up the top of the center square with what you want to hit instead.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lobok posted:

Hold down reload and it well tell you how many shots you still have in your current mag.

The simplest thing to do though is just when ever you have breathing room of like a second just hit R. You'll toss a new clip in super fast.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 3, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

causticBeet posted:

EAT, Quasar, and AC are all really well balanced and are great examples of support weapons that are good at their role, have some uniqueness to them, and feel good to use. RR is definitely on the outside looking in and seems kinda redundant- if they don’t want to just crank up it’s damage maybe they could give it a bigger explosion radius or something?

From a purely vs bots perspective, it definitely needs something that would make you want to take it over the AC or the Spear, two weapons similar to the RR in that they also take up your backpack slot. Personally I would love to see more penetration so that you can hit tanks/turrets from the front, but that honestly sounds more like the Railgun's job.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
It's me

The Recoilless Rifle user

Gorelab posted:

I'm really amused by the group of players who seem to think the Quasar is this amazing wonder weapon, because it's good in it's role, but it's legit a side-grade to the EAT and RR, yet people apparently are acting like it's this amazing a anti-medium and I'm just so confused.
Some people never got over the railgun nerf and are still coping hard

Lobok posted:

I'm a recent convert to Autocannon, and at least against bots, it is an adjustment getting used to the backpack requirement because I always used to have a shield against bots. Having the Quasar and shield was nice.

You can hold R (and presumably the reload button on controller) to check how much rounds you have exactly, but there's no way to do it quickly without pausing

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
With the automaton instant-kills much less prevalent, I am definitely switching in the autocannon for them, in particular because my sluggy boy was taken out behind the woodshed. For bugs, the laser rover is still too good to be displaced. Imagine having to worry about hunters.

I like the Quasar, but am sticking with EATs. Quasar is great but it sticks in your support slot and doesn't let you use anything else, EATs are just so much more freeing even if you don't get as many shots as a Quasar.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I do feel like the Railgun needs some love now.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

They really, really should implement ad hoc team reloading from the bearer's backpack, until they do team reloading recoilless etc will never happen outside of specific groups of friends making a special effort to coordinate mainly for the feels.

Recoilless could take its place next to the other anti-tank options simply if you were able to seamlessly run up to someone with one and help them fan the hammer to blap titans or down dropships, then immediately run off about your business without having to juggle radial menus in the middle of a melee.

Edit:

BadLlama posted:

Also yeah, I agree. People keep singing about how it's still good for bots and how one-shotting hulk eyes justifies the downsides, but I feel like those same people can't have tried the AMR. You can fire multiple shots with the AMR in less time than it takes to charge a sufficient rail shot (hell, you can fire a quasar in the same time it takes to charge a sufficient rail shot), you have more ammo and can use it more flexibly on other enemies, it's better for damaging vents. AMR also just got another completely unexpected and significant damage buff that means you can blap it willy-nilly at whatever bodypart and down devastators really fast anyway, it just doesn't even seem like a competition to me, I dunno what they're on about.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 3, 2024

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Against bugs at least the slugger changes are basically unnoticeable, it's staggering some things slightly less but it's not a big deal. I use the scorcher against bots but I'd assume it's staggering devestators less which is fair, chain stunning them on deflected shots is probably a bit much.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The quasar is infinite ammo, which is important.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Quasar having infinite ammo just solves so many problems. Land within view of a shrieker nest and only have EATs? It would take you 3 to 5 minutes to blow up all of them with no help from teammates. Quasar will get that done in less than a minute.

Its slow and methodical but it will always get the job done.

EATs will still be S tier just for being so plentiful, easy to discard, deathproof, and opening up ability to pull random guns from POI and carry them across the map.

jokes posted:

The quasar is infinite ammo, which is important.

:hfive:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Against bugs at least the slugger changes are basically unnoticeable, it's staggering some things slightly less but it's not a big deal.

Didn't run into a Stalker nest I take it? The lack of stagger is very noticeable.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Poor railgun, turns out its only real crime was benefiting from a very weird bug way more than any other gun.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

BadLlama posted:

I think it's still pretty good damage and penetration wise as long as you can consistently hit that max overcharge. If they do buff it again I say instead of straight damage or penetration buff, give it a bit more leeway by adding about 0.5s extra at the top end of the charge where you can get that max charge shot off without blowing up. That'll make it easier and more comfortable to hit that charge level.

LazyMaybe posted:

players actually running increased reinforcement budget/flexible reinforcement budget is still my #1 red flag when joining randoms
These two really need to do more to be anywhere near worthwhile, like at least +50% reinforcements/-50% budget time. At that point I would consider using them on weaker teams but even then it's questionable if they would be worth the opportunity cost of not using another, more directly beneficial booster instead.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sindai posted:

Poor railgun, turns out its only real crime was benefiting from a very weird bug way more than any other gun.

Arrowhead is really hit or miss on balancing so far. Their justification for nerfing the Slugger (that it acted as the best sniper) really goes to show that they are not committed to making this game more like BC2 (where the slug shotgun was insanely good at long range sniping).

Feel like they should make literally any of the sniper type options better and let the slug shotgun slug. Like the advantage of a sniper should be increased damage/ROF/range

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

LazyMaybe posted:

I am an AMR lover but it needs to be said that AMR's sight is misaligned, and its shots hit a bit higher than the center of the reticle.
Line up the top of the center square with what you want to hit instead.

Thats your red flag? The other day I saw a guy using incendiary breaker on bots, he couldnt kill any trash mobs at all and kept dying. Now I started looking at primary weapons

BadLlama posted:

Revert the changes to unsafe mode, give safe mode 10% base damage, reduce ammo to 8 :bisonyes:

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Quasar having infinite ammo just solves so many problems. Land within view of a shrieker nest and only have EATs? It would take you 3 to 5 minutes to blow up all of them with no help from teammates. Quasar will get that done in less than a minute.

Its slow and methodical but it will always get the job done.

EATs will still be S tier just for being so plentiful, easy to discard, deathproof, and opening up ability to pull random guns from POI and carry them across the map.

:hfive:

It's a toss up for what supp weapon to bring for flavor, fun, and just the mission itself. So far: on ion storm planets quasar wins out just because it's always available despite supply drop availability (or strats in general), I like the new AMR damage but it's spotty since sights aren't exactly lined up, I'm curious to pick up the laser cannon again, especially on the ice planet thats having blizzards; of course AC is king against bots but it's nice to have flavorful options

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Jerkface posted:

Arrowhead is really hit or miss on balancing so far. Their justification for nerfing the Slugger (that it acted as the best sniper) really goes to show that they are not committed to making this game more like BC2 (where the slug shotgun was insanely good at long range sniping).

Feel like they should make literally any of the sniper type options better and let the slug shotgun slug. Like the advantage of a sniper should be increased damage/ROF/range

Maybe I’m crazy but if I wanted to make the slug shotgun a bad sniper rifle I would simply increase the damage falloff before nerfing the attributes that make it a cool shotgun

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jerkface posted:

Lol who is disappointed they didn't commit to making their game more like Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I read it more that they didn't want the slugger to keep it's medium range niche AND the stunning niche, and decided to buff the JAR into the stun niche and let the slugger have it's range niche since there's still the plasma punisher/punisher/JAR and arc thrower for stunning now.

I actually still like the slugger more than the scorcher, though I'm unsure how much of that is just not being used to the scorcher comparatively.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

Didn't run into a Stalker nest I take it? The lack of stagger is very noticeable.

That's the most noticeable, yeah, but you don't see them that often and it still kills them pretty fast.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The quasar is just a recoiless rifle that lets you do stuff while it reloads

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
the blizzard is so dope as a weather effect, it adds so much atmosphere when fighting bots

also way more stable today with that hotfix

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

They need to allow teammates to help reload a RR/AC even if they aren’t wearing the backpack. It makes no sense narratively or mechanically.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

jokes posted:

Lol who is disappointed they didn't commit to making their game more like Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Carl Gustav when

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

Carl Gustav when

Asking the important questions :hmmyes:

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

The Kingfish posted:

They need to allow teammates to help reload a RR/AC even if they aren’t wearing the backpack. It makes no sense narratively or mechanically.

It made more sense when all the players were on one screen and a charger running onto screen required an immediate response.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Insert name here posted:

I think it's still pretty good damage and penetration wise as long as you can consistently hit that max overcharge. If they do buff it again I say instead of straight damage or penetration buff, give it a bit more leeway by adding about 0.5s extra at the top end of the charge where you can get that max charge shot off without blowing up. That'll make it easier and more comfortable to hit that charge level.

FWIW, I really wanted to get a handle on the rail's armour pen scaling and utility now compared to the quasar so I set up a progressive series of firing macros to test different levels of charge consistently. I then ran a bunch of missions with a mouse side button that would do a milisecond-perfect max charge, release and reload for me and I still think the gun is underperforming compared to the competition, including the quasar.

I don't necessarily think the quasar is overpowered but it has the same 3s spool of the rail, but with infinite ammo and a much more powerful and versatile shot. The question is what's the rail's niche supposed to be?

You don't have to cool down afterwards and you can release shots early to handle less-armoured medium enemies, sure, but if we just focus on heavies for a second: you need ~2.7s+ of rail charge twice for charger leg and three times for face with reloads in the middle and the potential repositioning that'd entail vs a single 3s charge from the quasar. Even allowing for the quasar cooldown you're spending more time with the rail regardless when it comes to heavies in all cases, sometimes significantly more and you lose out on all the peripheral utility stuff like objective killing.

That leaves its performance against medium enemies as a yardstick imo, where it is frankly just straight up worse than the AMR or grenade launcher in the no-backpack medium-killer category. The one thing going for it is the fact that it's competent at mediums but retains some usefulness against heavies in a pinch if everyone's out of EATs, but it's so muted vs heavies and so tight on ammo and ROF vs mediums that I don't think it's in the right spot at the moment.

If it were up to me I wouldn't bother trying to make it compete with the anti-tanks, rather try to make it like a riskier-to-use but more flexible AMR, by increasing the ammo pool and decreasing the spool time so it's easier to blow yourself up but you get better ROF. There are *so* many enemies in this game, a gun that has Quasar-equivalent spool times but a fraction of the damage just feels kinda out of place to me.

(edit: I'm not a pre-nerf railgun player who's salty by the way, I didn't have it unlocked at the time. My opinion is based entirely on its post-nerf performance.)

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 4, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

E) they really need to like, at least double the magazine size of the HMG, gimme a 200+ box of link, cmon

The HMG should have gotten a backpack with a belt feed and like 300 rounds that never needs to reload. Ammo boxes dump in another 100 or whatever.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Jerkface posted:

really goes to show that they are not committed to making this game more like BC2

lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sagebrush posted:

The HMG should have gotten a backpack with a belt feed and like 300 rounds that never needs to reload. Ammo boxes dump in another 100 or whatever.
I would like a belt feed backpack strat that drops down containing ammo for whatever support weapon(that has ammo and doesn't have its own backpack reload mechanic) you currently have.
If you had a flamethrower, it'd be tanks on your back connected by a tube instead of a belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I have so much guilt and shame about the Laser Dog after accidentally toasting a goon like 5 seconds before dustoff that I specifically avoid bringing it lol