Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Waffle House posted:

I have so much guilt and shame about the Laser Dog after accidentally toasting a goon like 5 seconds before dustoff that I specifically avoid bringing it lol

just do what everyone else does: pin it on automaton dissidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i tried the gun dog after the patch, its pretty good at mowing things down extremely quickly, noticably faster than the laser dog. However still tends to lose a lot of ammo shooting brood commanders and other things that liberators don't work great on. IMO It'll never be competitive with the laser dog unless the laser dog loses its 100% uptime.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Man I fuckin love the quasar cannon. Did my first serious bot mission in forever and hit every vent with a single shot and took out factories and drop ships. It was great!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

causticBeet posted:

Maybe I’m crazy but if I wanted to make the slug shotgun a bad sniper rifle I would simply increase the damage falloff before nerfing the attributes that make it a cool shotgun
I think this came up in discord when the dev was talking about the changes and he mentioned their ballistics model doesn't support damage falloff.

Okay I went and checked and he said it doesn't support stagger falloff, in response to people suggesting the Slugger stagger at short range but not long.

I don't think any guns have damage falloff either though, so that's probably true too.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 4, 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Sindai posted:

I think this came up in discord when the dev was talking about the changes and he mentioned their ballistics model doesn't support damage falloff.

Okay I went and checked and he said it doesn't support stagger falloff, in response to people suggesting the Slugger stagger at short range but not long.

I don't think any guns have damage falloff either though, so that's probably true too.

LOL this explains a lot, means that anything can snipe (nice) and is un loving ironically cool and good.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Video Nasty posted:

Man I fuckin love the quasar cannon. Did my first serious bot mission in forever and hit every vent with a single shot and took out factories and drop ships. It was great!

The dropships spinning out of the sky at 1/3 the frame rate will never not be hilarious

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Baiard posted:

It made more sense when all the players were on one screen and a charger running onto screen required an immediate response.

I love the flavor of it, but the person reloading should not have to wear the backpack. It makes no goddamn sense.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sindai posted:

Pretty sure there is damage falloff is possible. I've watched videos where the shits to kill a shrieker nest could vary at very long range consistently IIRC.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Do any of you do team reloading for the Autocannon or Recoilless? I have literally never seen anyone doing this in game, although I have mostly played scrub level 5 and below bug missions.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Once in a while for autocannon, never for recoilless because I don't use it so never have the backpack.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BadLlama posted:

Carl Gustav when

CGs died at their peak, and I am happy letting them rest in peace. RRs in Helldivers 2 are pretty good though.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i sometimes team reload a recoilless using a spare backpack

the main issue ive had is that if you're doing this to say take out a tank at long range, well, it can take 4-5 recoilless shots to do that, its just not worth it when theres so many tank one shots around like 110mm or 500kg or Airstrike. Buddy RR works better on bugs, but you gotta preempt whatever you're shooting at; ironically you don't have time to do buddy loading when they're pushing you hard and already on top of you. With the change to chargers, its not really necessary for them; buddy loading does work for bile titans, but you need to start shooting at long range. two divers standing in place are just a huge target if the titans get close enough. plus you generally need at least a third player in the fight who's actively clearing trash, so it doesnt work well for Pubbie Individualism Tactics.

Bear in mind the other advantage of buddy loading is doubling the available RR ammo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RRs one-shot chargers in the head, and also one-shot tanks/hulks when you shoot em in the vent I believe. Unfortunately the backpack situation loving sucks. You can 2-shot a titan fairly reliably though.

I mean, I never use RRs but I'm not going to be disappointed if someone did, like when someone brings flamethrowers against the bots.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

causticBeet posted:

Maybe I’m crazy but if I wanted to make the slug shotgun a bad sniper rifle I would simply increase the damage falloff before nerfing the attributes that make it a cool shotgun

I remember BF and the other semi realistic games usually balancing smgs and shotgun slugs at range by having them have noticeably worse ballistics and projectile speed than rifles and the like. Does helldivers do any of that? I haven’t really paid too much attention since I rarely try to snipe with them out of habit

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Slug Shotguns in BF were usually eldritch mystery machines that didn't really make any sense in any role but when you got good with them you got GOOD with them. I remember using the Saiga with slugs to great effect in BC2

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Gotta say I'm loving the dominator when blasting bots after the buff. It really just dunks on them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think the whole playerbase agrees that team reloading is really cool and generally a good idea, but also that it's insane that you can't pull the ammo out of the shooter's backpack. If you could do that, it would be used a lot more, and a lot more spontaneously.

Example: I am running around with an autocannon and suddenly three bile titans spawn. I can't do much against those. But the guy twenty feet away has a recoilless. I can run over to him and reload while he pops off six shots in seven seconds and takes them all out.

Example: We are pinned down by bots on a sand dune. I am plugging away with the autocannon into the distance but the guy beside me only has a shotgun and a flamethrower. He can swing over and reload so I can keep up constant fire until the last stragglers get close enough for him to be useful.

The occasional boost you get in situations like that, though, just isn't worth the tradeoff of giving up your own backpack or duplicating a weapon when you could specialize for another situation. The extra ammo you get from a team reload is okay, but not really all that critical. There are lots of ammo boxes in the world and it doesn't take that long for the support box stratagem to cool down. But the speed of reloading the heavy weapons can mean life or death.

All the dedicated players have realized this, so idk what makes Arrowhead think otherwise.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 4, 2024

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
The solution to this issue is that the Diver with the team reloadable weapon drops their backpack, you drop your backpack if you have one, and you pick up their backpack. Voila, you are now team loading without having to duplicate support weapons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BadLlama posted:

That's the strategems that are expensive as gently caress. The meat is cheap.

Yeah the main point for us Helldivers is to serve as a cheap disposable target designator for the Super Destroyer(and the Artillery on maps that have it) to focus its ordinance on, everything else we do is just a nice bonus

Gorelab posted:

I'm really amused by the group of players who seem to think the Quasar is this amazing wonder weapon, because it's good in it's role, but it's legit a side-grade to the EAT and RR, yet people apparently are acting like it's this amazing a anti-medium and I'm just so confused.

Its because since it has unlimited ammo it doesn't feel too wasteful to use a shot on one of the wimpy medium enemies like it would with the EAT or RR, much like with the Auto Cannon in that regard(since the AC has a metric shitload of ammo)

LazyMaybe posted:

I would like a belt feed backpack strat that drops down containing ammo for whatever support weapon(that has ammo and doesn't have its own backpack reload mechanic) you currently have.
If you had a flamethrower, it'd be tanks on your back connected by a tube instead of a belt.

This but if you have a Mech it instead drops a refill for its ammo

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

In a game with so so many AoE attacks team reload makes even less sense. You’re creating an incredibly high value two person target for acid spit, bile mortars, bot rockets, devastators, Chargers, Hulks, gunships. Not to mention the vast array of friendly fire that is typically AoE and punishes stationary and grouped Helldivers.

Even if you could buddy reload from someone else’s backpack it’s still a very dangerous thing to do and is incorrect in many cases. You almost always need someone to flank the tank and Hulk to distract it, and sticking two people together makes that more difficult.

I think it’s loving awesome when it does work and using the personal and team shield to enable it is also very smart. But even significantly buffing it by removing the backpack requirement still barely brings it in line with “guys with EATs” because of how incredibly mobile and resilient that strategy is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

The solution to this issue is that the Diver with the team reloadable weapon drops their backpack, you drop your backpack if you have one, and you pick up their backpack. Voila, you are now team loading without having to duplicate support weapons.

Yes, exactly. You can bypass the restriction on loading from the shooter's backpack with a dumb little 5 second dance. So all it does is make the situation more obscure and annoying. They can't stop people from doing this "exploit," so the restriction is meaningless, and they should remove it to streamline the game.

Same as people saying that you can do the bot extraction missions by cheesing the spawns and kiting them around while someone sneaks in and gets the civilians out. I can't imagine that's how you're "supposed" to play that mission type. If it is, it should be made more explicit somehow -- "distract the robots while the civilians escape" or something, and alter the map to suit. If it isn't, then fix the mission so the intended strategy is the one that works best.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Not saying the devs haven't been wrong before but they've already mentioned there's damage dropoff:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
yea op amended that post to be about stagger fall-off, not damage.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is there a site somewhere with weak spot diagrams for the enemies?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, exactly. You can bypass the restriction on loading from the shooter's backpack with a dumb little 5 second dance. So all it does is make the situation more obscure and annoying. They can't stop people from doing this "exploit," so the restriction is meaningless, and they should remove it to streamline the game.

Should we consider teamwork and communication an exploit?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
What's the most efficient way to earn medals? I want to finish up this set of weapons before the next warbond lands and rumour is it's on the 11th.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
been rolling a new loadout for bots that's fun

spear
walking barrage
120mm barrage
eagle bombs (the normal one)

use the spear to snipe objectives halfway across the map, throw a walking barrage towards a big base, drop a 120mm barrage behind us as we run, use the eagle bombs for more targetted killing

massive success

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i tried the gun dog after the patch, its pretty good at mowing things down extremely quickly, noticably faster than the laser dog. However still tends to lose a lot of ammo shooting brood commanders and other things that liberators don't work great on. IMO It'll never be competitive with the laser dog unless the laser dog loses its 100% uptime.

it would be fine if picking up ammo refilled one magazine in the backpack if the current one was full.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Logged into the game and was greeted by this.

One what? What did I get?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
A cape.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wish the Break Action Shotgun was a calldown or something

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

This was way too funny to me for some reason. I mean, these are fake reviews to begin with so...

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

There's a tip that says it at first you don't succeed, try again, and again, and again... etc about ten times. Bit mad it wasn't twenty times for all the reinforcements.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Artelier posted:

Logged into the game and was greeted by this.

One what? What did I get?
That's what shows up when you get this:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sagebrush posted:

I think the whole playerbase agrees that team reloading is really cool and generally a good idea, but also that it's insane that you can't pull the ammo out of the shooter's backpack. If you could do that, it would be used a lot more, and a lot more spontaneously.
At this point I expect this is in the pipeline, it's just going to take time because it requires animation work.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

There's something about "Don't drink and drive" that gets me every time. Like its completely absurd but its also delivered so bluntly and earnestly, usually right when the drop music crescendo's too.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Picked this up yesterday and realized that the itch that this was scratching for me was like the OG Left 4 Dead co-op play

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Apple Craft posted:

This was way too funny to me for some reason. I mean, these are fake reviews to begin with so...

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

LazyMaybe posted:

That's what shows up when you get this:

there's a nonzero number of idiots on r/helldivers claiming they'll kick anyone wearing this cape for disrespecting the heroes of malevolon creek