Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
oh, I figured out how to do easy public assassinations to collect the hands for the evil route of Impress the Murder Tribunal!

I had a Gloomstalker 5/Thief 3/Battlemaster 4 and a Lore Bard 12 minion combo.

Ranger casts Pass Without Trace. Bard casts Greater Invisibility on the Ranger, teleports away. Ranger does the hit, loots the corpse, teleports away.

It was very painless! The part about this that Im having trouble wrapping my mind around, but shouldnt, i guess, is how there's just zero info on how to kill these dudes on Google, Reddit, Youtube. The SEO/AI garbage that has plagued BG3 from the start has overwhelmingly favored good, since "good = optimal = popular"

I think BG3 Wiki just assumes you know what youre doing and glosses over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

feller posted:

i think you're confusing your dumb posts with good ones

bingo

Like, I respect OP’s right to play however they want but the posts and info are very bad.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Some of us are just feral animals and chew the legos.

And god blesses you, because you're the only reason people figure out you can do poo poo like (Moonrise spoiler) open Balthazar's secret room with Nere's mushroom covered severed head and not just the hearts found on the adjacent corpses.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I hate this bard busker achievement so much. When I get to act 3 I’m gonna join the drat murder cult to go after all the cheap fucks who clap for my performance but don’t toss a coin :black101:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SlimGoodbody posted:

And god blesses you, because you're the only reason people figure out you can do poo poo like (Moonrise spoiler) open Balthazar's secret room with Nere's mushroom covered severed head and not just the hearts found on the adjacent corpses.

Did you know that if you pick up the brainjars in the Nautiloid and bring them along to Act II you can carry them all the way to the mindflayer colony under moonrise tower and plug them into the weird talking head for special dialogue?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So uh, it turns out I didn't actually kill (minor act 1+2 spoilers I guess?) Minthara in the goblin camp. Now that I think about it, I believe I one-turned her with Karlach, performing a double attack and then finished her off with a flourish. I didn't realise it at the time, but I'm pretty sure flourishes are always non-lethal, right? Great weapon ones, anyway. I... never notice the KO status TBH - so I wonder if any other "slain" enemies are still drifting around the place, after I took 'em out, looted them and left them for dead. :v:

Anyway, she's now here at Moonrise being berated. I've busted her out because I figure, now that she's been branded a traitor, she might be willing to flip sides to combat her old boss. She's currently pretending to be a mentally broken slave as a cover, while I get her off-site. Is she worth keeping around, though? Since it's probably not too late to return/kill her. I assume she's evil enough to hate all the decisions I make, so I guess she'll probably end up staying in camp 24/7 like Asty.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Major Isoor posted:

So uh, it turns out I didn't actually kill (minor act 1+2 spoilers I guess?) Minthara in the goblin camp. Now that I think about it, I believe I one-turned her with Karlach, performing a double attack and then finished her off with a flourish. I didn't realise it at the time, but I'm pretty sure flourishes are always non-lethal, right? Great weapon ones, anyway. I... never notice the KO status TBH - so I wonder if any other "slain" enemies are still drifting around the place, after I took 'em out, looted them and left them for dead. :v:

Anyway, she's now here at Moonrise being berated. I've busted her out because I figure, now that she's been branded a traitor, she might be willing to flip sides to combat her old boss. She's currently pretending to be a mentally broken slave as a cover, while I get her off-site. Is she worth keeping around, though? Since it's probably not too late to return/kill her. I assume she's evil enough to hate all the decisions I make, so I guess she'll probably end up staying in camp 24/7 like Asty.

I think she is worth having around even if your character is generally "good", she has some interesting perspectives on things in Act 3 and some fun lines. She's evil but she's also just pretty pragmatic so she might not hate everything you do.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
She won't really like the good things you do going forward but it's pretty difficult to get a companion to actually leave. She has a unique Soul Branding skill that grants bonus movement speed and additional fire damage to any character for the next turn which can be used any number of times per day as a bonus action (which paladins - as her default class - struggle to find a consistent use for). So, mechanically, she's probably worth keeping just for that. Roleplay, eh, she doesn't have a ton of exclusive content.

She does have some pretty fun party banter and dialogue choices though. She's definitely evil but in the kind of banal corporate lawful evil way. I definitely got more mileage out of her than Astarion, like she doesn't go for completely arbitrary betrayals the way that he does and typically doesn't get mad if you keep your word, so long as it serves the greater goal.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 4, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

EorayMel posted:

Everybody approves.

I need to do a barb playthrough. These comments are loving hilarious

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I liked her a lot better as a companion for my resist Durge. They can commiserate about how much Orin sucks rear end.

Also yeah I have definitely KO’d people with a flourish before then come back an hour later to be like wtf why is there a red dot on my map

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Shard posted:

I need to do a barb playthrough. These comments are loving hilarious

I personally enjoyed screaming at a drider until it was sufficient cowed to walk into the void and die.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why can’t my high intimidate warlock do that?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Met The Emperor and LMAO he is making GBS threads me right? Is his sob story meant to reflect my Fighter-Folk hero? Or even probed my mind meat to see how I talked to that Mindflayer in the Underdark? All to be the most manipulative prick so far and probably the entire game? What a loving rear end in a top hat.

There's a book I found but forget where, that says if you find yourself up against a Mindflayer it has out thought you by several magnitudes so just run if you can. Good advice and I wish I could just kill him and release Orpheus if it didn't seem to mean I also immediately die.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
you can trust him

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Why can’t my high intimidate warlock do that?

You need to be whatever very very specific warlock/barb multi class Peter Steele from Type O Negative was

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MariusLecter posted:

Met The Emperor and LMAO he is making GBS threads me right? Is his sob story meant to reflect my Fighter-Folk hero? Or even probed my mind meat to see how I talked to that Mindflayer in the Underdark? All to be the most manipulative prick so far and probably the entire game? What a loving rear end in a top hat.

There's a book I found but forget where, that says if you find yourself up against a Mindflayer it has out thought you by several magnitudes so just run if you can. Good advice and I wish I could just kill him and release Orpheus if it didn't seem to mean I also immediately die.

You won't immediately die because Orpheus is actually super cool and understanding, and that's just another thing Emperor has lied to you about.

Edit: Actually, you do die at that point in the story, nevermind.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 4, 2024

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Hadn't seen this mentioned before, but I main a Mephistopheles Tiefling and went back a few saves to romance Astarion, and you can totally read and identify his tattoo in the first sex scene. He's all "I have no idea what it is!" and Tav's just all, "Uh, this is written in Infernal. Gimme, like, five minutes."

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Major Isoor posted:

I assume she's evil enough to hate all the decisions I make, so I guess she'll probably end up staying in camp 24/7 like Asty.

Minthara is worth bringing along in act 3 because she trusts you more than you might expect, despises Orin, and has the funniest clown-related lines.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Does the (Act 2 and maybe 3 spoilers) Ring of Mind Shielding actually do anything other than what it says in the tooltip? I don't feel like I desperately need its mechanical utility, and I would be sad if Omeluum ever got recaptured by an Elder Brain just because I was keeping his most prized possession in a bag with 35 other rings I'm not using.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No. In Early Access it actually did disable your illithid powers, but in retail all you get is the saving throw advantage against Charmed.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I was goofing around with (Act 1 under dark spoilers) Sovereign Glut and a mushroom zombie bulette today and kinda just seeing what I could do with them. I ended up casting Aid, Mage Armor, and Longstrider on them, as well as feeding Glut and Elixir of Fire Resist to negate his fire vulnerability and feeding the zombie bulette an Elixir of the Colossus lmao. We absolutely tore through the hook horrors by the Sussur Tree (I had already killed Filro with a zombie minotaur that was like five miles away from the main group; for some reason none of them aggro on you if you're a monster with no party nearby, though the hook horrors almost instantly heal to full after you attack. I was able to drill Filro with a charge rush crit tho so he was not a part of the eventual fight when the party showed up). I even healed Glut and the bulette to full after.

I thought I was just so clever. Then it hit me that these two are going to turn on me after the duergar fight, and I'm going to have to deal with 2x HP embiggened Glut with Aid, Mage Armor, Longstrider, no fire vulnerability, and his undead dire bulette with the same (minus the fire elixir). I have played myself.

Also, pro tip: if you get Shovel, they're indispensable for having them go invis and standing next to whoever you're gonna be fighting shortly so that your rogue has instant free sneak attack availability as soon as initiative is rolled. If you buff Shovel with Mage Armor, Longstrider, Aid, and an elixir, plus maybe a Warding Bond from someone who stays at camp, they're actually quite useful and survivable. Shovel has gotten the first and last hit in several of my big fights now. Elixir of Giant Strength is probably the optimal choice, but Colossus is the funniest and still very good. Invisible Man-sized Shovel is such a wonderfully unpleasant thing to have skulking about next to you at all times. I wish there was an elixir that could buff their jump scare move.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

No. In Early Access it actually did disable your illithid powers, but in retail all you get is the saving throw advantage against Charmed.

It's interesting to hear stuff like this. Cause at the time, on your first run through, it seems like this might be a very important event! Then lol just kidding, if you pass a bunch of checks you get a situationally useful ring

To be fair I almost lost my most recent honor run to charm on my most dangerous party member so maybe I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 4, 2024

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
The important thing about Minthara for me that made her playable was despite being “evil” it didn’t mean she was down for all the things she did under absolute control and is in fact pretty hosed up by it. There is some very good dialogue about it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

It's interesting to hear stuff like this. Cause at the time, on your first run through, it seems like this might be a very important event! Then lol just kidding, if you pass a bunch of checks you get a situationally useful ring

To be fair I almost lost my most recent honor run to charm on my most dangerous party member so maybe I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth

i'm still traumatized by the bg1 sirens that would instant game over you with charm. the ring makes me feel safe.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I read recently that Minthara is incredibly mean to origin Astarion, in certain situations

like drat, she has like an oath of hating

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Minthy thinks Astarion is a beta cuck who will forever live in fear unless he kills Cazador and claims his power for his own. She also has some of the most beautiful and poetic lines in the game to say about Karlach.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

Snake Maze posted:

I can't think of much a blind playthrough would miss, assuming that the player fills in the map and talks to everybody. There's small stuff (like failing the quest to steal the idol because you can't give it to Mol at the party), but the vast majority of stuff will work regardless of what order you do things in, you don't need to look things up to find the content. I guess a warning not kill Gortash at the coronation?

I missed karlach and gale on my current (first) playthrough. I was ready to storm the towers before I found out I could backtrack and do risen road.

Deeeefinitely gonna do things better on my next go ‘round

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

She also has some of the most beautiful and poetic lines in the game to say about Karlach.

I do remember seeing a clip about this. And holy goddamn, she sounds absolutely devastated about Karlach preferring to die than go back to Hell. An appropriate reaction, but goddamn

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

SlimGoodbody posted:

I thought I was just so clever. Then it hit me that these two are going to turn on me after the duergar fight, and I'm going to have to deal with 2x HP embiggened Glut with Aid, Mage Armor, Longstrider, no fire vulnerability, and his undead dire bulette with the same (minus the fire elixir). I have played myself.

I did something similar on my first Tactician run but I realized it mid fight, so once I had the battle in good shape for my side I made the zombie bulette jump from the highest level down to the beach a couple times, smashing a duergar and also killing itself so that I didn't have to deal with it later.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I read recently that Minthara is incredibly mean to origin Astarion, in certain situations

if anyone deserves it it's him

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Saraiguma posted:

if anyone deserves it it's him

On the other hand, saying 'Interesting. What do you think, Astarion?' during the chat with the monster hunter is the funniest dialog option I've selected so far. I hope there's more like that to come.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

SlimGoodbody posted:

You can also do that trick with Karlach's severed head if you betray her instead of recruiting her.

**I** have never done that but I saw a Youtube short about it

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

That Dang Dad posted:

You can also do that trick with Karlach's severed head if you betray her instead of recruiting her.

NNNOOOOOOooooo :cry:

Anyway I solved my impending Mega-buffed Glut and Bulette Problem by having them help curb stomp the Duergar fight, then jumping the bulette into the lake of death and making Glut jump off of the catwalks until he had low health and starting the conversation with him backed into a corner and surrounded lmao. I may need to flip the difficulty over to tactician mode because my hit points have pretty much been decoration for the last 30 or so hours.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

SlimGoodbody posted:

Elixir of Giant Strength is probably the optimal choice, but Colossus is the funniest and still very good. Invisible Man-sized Shovel is such a wonderfully unpleasant thing to have skulking about next to you at all times. I wish there was an elixir that could buff their jump scare move.

Giant Strength won't affect Shovel because their claws always scale off Dex. For the jump scare thing, an elixir of battlemage power should at least bump the DC by 3 I think?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

That Dang Dad posted:

Weird, does it work with any severed head? Or any body part or just hearts and those two specific heads?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

NNNOOOOOOooooo :cry:

Anyway I solved my impending Mega-buffed Glut and Bulette Problem by having them help curb stomp the Duergar fight, then jumping the bulette into the lake of death and making Glut jump off of the catwalks until he had low health and starting the conversation with him backed into a corner and surrounded lmao. I may need to flip the difficulty over to tactician mode because my hit points have pretty much been decoration for the last 30 or so hours.

Yeah if you enjoy the combat and min maxing buffs and builds and such, and are sleepwalking through balanced, might as well go over to tactician mode. It’s definitely easier than you are imagining. Most fights still end in a couple rounds. I can think of like 3 encounters that gave me trouble

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Giant Strength won't affect Shovel because their claws always scale off Dex. For the jump scare thing, an elixir of battlemage power should at least bump the DC by 3 I think?

The most effective elixir would be see invisibility because even if she fails the roll a roll happening would indicate an ambush.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Black Noise posted:

The most effective elixir would be see invisibility because even if she fails the roll a roll happening would indicate an ambush.

this with owl's wisdom is a great idea. basket ftw

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I'm Origin Astarion rn and I'm being a true bastard lunatic about it and she's my biggest fan

extremely recommended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Act 3 spoilerz:

Sarevok made me his Unholy Assassin of Bhaal and gave me the thumbs up and the go ahead to go smack Orin for him, and Minthara was just so deliriously proud of me, it is a wonderful feeling to be constantly impressing her