Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

oh my god i hadn't heard of this. gently caress yeah. I never got to play IWD2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Popy posted:

i just like saying THACO

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
not getting hitler elected is stealing valour from the ussr

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Thaczero

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

this really could go into about half-a-dozen other threads in CSPAM but I guess this is the most germane

https://red-autumn.itch.io/social-democracy

why doesn’t it start in 1919. weird

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

gradenko_2000 posted:

in old-school D&D, better-quality armor had a lower armor class. As I said, plate armor was AC 2, while leather armor was AC 8

the original way you were supposed to play this was a direct table look-up:

A level 1-2 Fighter, when attacking an opponent with AC 8, needed a 12 or higher to hit the opponent
if the opponent had AC 2, then they'd need an 18 or higher: better armor = higher target number = harder to hit

___

THAC0, which was the method used in AD&D 2nd Edition and all the Infinity Engine games (except Icewind Dale 2), was an alternative that tried to eliminate the look-up table: it stands for [To-Hit, AC 0].

At level 1, you had a THAC0 of 20. That means that if the enemy had an AC of 0, you would need a 20 to hit them.
But, if your enemy's AC was anything else, then you were supposed to subtract it from the THAC0

if the opponent had an AC of 8, then you take your THAC0 of 20, subtract 8, and you get 12: you need a 12 or higher to hit the opponent
if the opponent had an AC of 2, then you take your THAC0 of 20, subtract 2, and you get 18: better armor = smaller reduction in THAC0 = higher target number = harder to hit

this was not particularly intuitive

if the opponent had an AC of [-2], then the equation becomes [THAC0 20 - (-2)], which simplifies to [THAC0 20 + 2] because the negative of a negative is a positive, and then you get a THAC0 of 22

on the other hand, if you had a +1 magic sword, then you were supposed to subtract one from your THAC0, which also gets confusing because the sword is +1, but you're doing subtraction against the THAC0

___

the Target20 method I posted about inverts the equation so that everything retains the same sign, and most things are added

if your opponent had an AC of 8, then you take your d20 roll, and add 8 to it, and look for a 20: you'd need a roll a 12 or higher to get to 20, after adding 8
if your opponent had an AC of 2, then you take your d20 roll, and add 2 to it, and look for a 20: you'd need a roll of 18 or higher to get to 20, after adding 2: better armor = smaller addend to the equation = higher roll required = harder to hit

if the opponent had an AC of [-2], then you subtract from the d20 roll. It continues to be intuitive, because the negative number is still treated as a negative number
if you had a +1 magic sword, then you add +1 to the d20 roll. It continues to be intuitive.

voted 0, which is good

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008
finally finished dragons dogma 2 at around 180 hours. the endgame was as wild as i was hoping. cant wait for the hopefully inevitable bitterblack isle equivalent dlc/expansion down the road

up next im gonna try to play yakuza dead souls

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Hatebag posted:

dang. i got a civil war too, but i lost. guess i shoulda been trying to beat hitler in the streets instead of the ballot box

i got the KPD to join at the end but my paramilitaries weren't strong enough

i mean stumblebum got the KPD to 44% and the civil war still happened so yeah it seems the only road to victory is overwhelming the nazis in the streets before the civil war gets going, if that's possible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Baykin posted:

finally finished dragons dogma 2 at around 180 hours. the endgame was as wild as i was hoping. cant wait for the hopefully inevitable bitterblack isle equivalent dlc/expansion down the road

that is 12 hours a day . that’s impressive

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_QSsSroTo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Baykin posted:

could you send me some money

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i mean stumblebum got the KPD to 44% and the civil war still happened so yeah it seems the only road to victory is overwhelming the nazis in the streets before the civil war gets going, if that's possible.

https://x.com/ebeggin1/status/1775900499138805917?s=20

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Nope, it's perfectly possible to run out the clock if you have control of the presidency, even if the WTB plan has not been implemented and unemployment is still bad lol

Maximo Roboto has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Apr 4, 2024

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Baykin posted:

Goddamn you must have scraped every inch of the map, that's double my playtime and I thought I did almost everything. Game owns even with some of the odd jank, balance, and performance issues. I hope they patch in a harder difficulty between now and the inevitable BBI-style DLC.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Baykin posted:

euphronius posted:

that is 12 hours a day . that’s impressive

thankyou for your service, gamer

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Goddamn you must have scraped every inch of the map, that's double my playtime and I thought I did almost everything. Game owns even with some of the odd jank, balance, and performance issues. I hope they patch in a harder difficulty between now and the inevitable BBI-style DLC.

ya i systematically scanned every bit of the map that i could find, then rechecked all towns/hubs between each main story quest just in case new stuff popped up all sneakily.

being unemployed and playing friends' steam libraries owns

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KirbyKhan posted:

Fuckin.... Whoo boy, that is a tall order. Unlimited Saga has like 0 documentation and is made as a boardgame. Best of luck.

The SaGa Frontier remake is really good, exactly what I wanted as a fan of the PS1 original

The best ressource for Unlimited SaGa is an aborted let's play on these forums.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

this really could go into about half-a-dozen other threads in CSPAM but I guess this is the most germane

I'm playing this with two goals:

1. Sabotage my own party
2. Invest as much as possible in radio

We will see what happens.

edit:

quote:

Cutting resources to the Reichsbanner causes a drop in the membership, and leads some would-be members to join the Communists instead.

Yes....hahaha yes

quote:

The demonstration proceeds peacefully, with a minimal police presence. Onlookers admire the strength of the Communist workers, and perhaps some of our members have been peeled off. The KPD will never admit it, but they are developing a less hostile view towards us (even if they do not like us yet). Our centrist allies denounce the demonstration, but their cries are ineffectual.

YES

edit:

quote:

Ernst Thälmann of the KPD has won the presidency. Immediately, the far-right launches a coup attempt against the government. We have no choice but to unite with the KPD against the fascists...

All according to plan

edit2: NOO I lost the civil war!

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Apr 4, 2024

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best ressource for Unlimited SaGa is an aborted let's play on these forums.

I love SaGa games but unlimited was too opaque and needlessly difficult even for me.

It's a shame because the artstyle is gorgeous and the music was solid.

Frontier 2 remaster when???

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

drat horror queefs posted:

I love SaGa games but unlimited was too opaque and needlessly difficult even for me.

It's a shame because the artstyle is gorgeous and the music was solid.

Frontier 2 remaster when???

Frontier 2 remaster is coming eventually, i trust Kawazu.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: NOO I lost the civil war!

I got the good ending.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I wonder if it's possible to win.

The thing that bugs me about the SPD browser game is that I don't have a good idea of where I stand, or how it's going to calculate my chances in the civil war. Like I keep saying "reach out to this or that group" but I don't know what my current status is with everyone. Is there additional benefit to just spamming "reach out to (insert demographic)"?

It's just extremely hosed up IMO that so many people would fight against me, despite how awesome my radio program was. Everyone liked it! Do they just not care what happens on the next episode of their favorite programs?

edit: It also seems like you might benefit from fishing for the "change funding" card since that card always gains you funding

Another thing I was curious/confused about - what's up with the "put a spy in the comintern" option? I never chose it because it seemed hostile, but is it actually the "diplomacy with the soviets" option?

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Apr 4, 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I would get them to play soccer on xmas morning

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

MonsieurChoc posted:

Frontier 2 remaster is coming eventually, i trust Kawazu.

I've been hurt too many times, MonsieurChoc :saddowns:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1775929097715073535?t=3H4eDBZ-pv9RjBPWXhS3Cw&s=19

quote:

its last big ticket improvement is the "Easy Mode Waypoint System." Now, I loved getting lost in System Shock's levels, and I'm pretty sure its backtracking annoyed me way less than any metroidvania I've ever played, but I do get it⁠—this game is a sequence of spaghetti tangle corridors with elevators that only serve part of the station, and sometimes you just want to know where the hell to go next.

In his System Shock review, PCG news writer Joshua Wolens described "maximising the game's map and just playing that, guiding the arrow denoting my character through long corridors toward what I desperately hoped was the right lift." Me? I just took advantage of the remake's faithfulness and consulted walkthroughs of the 1994 original when I got stuck. Even though the remake's lack of handholding was something we on the team mostly praised, the added option for waypoints will only help more players ease into this game.

And we don't have too much longer to wait: System Shock's 1.2 update is coming to a PC near you on April 11.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

game doesnt currently work with UEVR so i'm hoping that itll work this time, its kind of a perfect vr game

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ I wonder if it's possible to win.

The thing that bugs me about the SPD browser game is that I don't have a good idea of where I stand, or how it's going to calculate my chances in the civil war. Like I keep saying "reach out to this or that group" but I don't know what my current status is with everyone. Is there additional benefit to just spamming "reach out to (insert demographic)"?

It's just extremely hosed up IMO that so many people would fight against me, despite how awesome my radio program was. Everyone liked it! Do they just not care what happens on the next episode of their favorite programs?

edit: It also seems like you might benefit from fishing for the "change funding" card since that card always gains you funding

Another thing I was curious/confused about - what's up with the "put a spy in the comintern" option? I never chose it because it seemed hostile, but is it actually the "diplomacy with the soviets" option?

It's very incomplete and buggy imo, you can't even mute the music lol

Having played it at least half a dozen times now you star to realize certain actions only have limited utility and not all effects are equal. For instance the radio program only appeals to the middle classes I believe.

Always spam emergency fundraising before you have to bribe coalition partners or bourgeois parties.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I just abandoned bourgeois democracy entirely. Refused to form a coalition, just did what I could to agitate the workers, rebuild relations with the KPD, and get as much guns on the left as possible. Ended in Thalmann's election and civil war, which seems to be the cspam ending.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

I just abandoned bourgeois democracy entirely. Refused to form a coalition, just did what I could to agitate the workers, rebuild relations with the KPD, and get as much guns on the left as possible. Ended in Thalmann's election and civil war, which seems to be the cspam ending.

How do you ensure the left gets the guns? There were options to train the police, but reducing that funding caused people to turn to the communists which seemed good.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

gradenko_2000 posted:

this simply taught me that propping up a failing bougie democracy is doomed to failure

Ytlaya posted:

nope, it's the hostile option

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rudecyrus posted:

this simply taught me that propping up a failing bougie democracy is doomed to failure

I tried to avoid this and instead drove all my followers into the arms of the communists, while also investing 40% of the national budget into Pod Save Germany

This just resulted in the remains of my party and the communists having a bold but failed last stand against the Nazis

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

they should've just been polite about hitler's portfolio

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Popy posted:

i just like saying THACO

Wanna go grab some fast food at THACO Bell?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Been so long since a good emote dropped.
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1776037507919905089?t=O7NOX2AqjuyXCkeO5sAong&s=19

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every time I get the tiniest amount of damage, I rush to the nearest restaurant in Kamurocho and eat a meal I haven’t tried before.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Every time I get the tiniest amount of damage, I rush to the nearest restaurant in Kamurocho and eat a meal I haven’t tried before.

this is the way for completionism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
They should put Ernst Thalmann into Fortnite

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

played a game of millennia today, the paradox civ game. it's basically the conceptual design of humankind, but if someone who understood game mechanics worked on it instead of whatever the gently caress the endless devs did instead. highly recommend to civheads...in a couple of months after they patch some poo poo

back to dd2

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Finished chapter 1 of Judgement. Looks like we have a killer to catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finished chapter 1 of Judgement. Looks like we have a killer to catch.

I hope you succeed