Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol Anroid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

windows server 2008 still winning, suck it "obsolescence planners" :c00l:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
honestly the windows numbers are way better than expected

lol @ anroid tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
always and forever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

honestly the windows numbers are way better than expected

lol @ anroid tho

well, it's broken out by release/build for windows and android is just android

tbf, if you put all the windows CVEs on a single line, you wouldn't see the others

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the windows cves would probably be largely duplicative thought right? like there aren't 1000 different vulnerabilities between Windows 11 21h2 and 22h2, it's probably ~largely the same 500, double-counted

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
probably, but you'd assume the same for android versions

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i do like how going from win10 1507 to win10 1607 managed to introduce over a hundred extra vulnerabilities tho

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

well, it's broken out by release/build for windows and android is just android

tbf, if you put all the windows CVEs on a single line, you wouldn't see the others

Android is just Android. I think the people making that graph get it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

now that ios lets you customize your home screen icon layout i may actually shift over there next time round.

still wish they'd have a proper SMS software though.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

They do! It's the green icon with the talk bubble on the main screen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They do! It's the green icon with the talk bubble on the main screen

ahhh, whatsapp. i like it a lot but most of the people i know are too dull to pick it up.

Apr 7, 2003

My mom has an android phone. When I want to talk to her, I send a message to my brother and ask him to relay it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

My mom has an android phone. When I want to talk to her, I send a message to my brother and ask him to relay it.

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my mom has an iphone but she doesn’t know how to initiate a facetime audio call so when she wants to call me she uses whatsapp :shrug:

Apr 7, 2003

I'm not installing some trash app. If my mom wants to talk to me she can get an iphone.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

I'm not installing some trash app. If my mom wants to talk to me she can get an iphone.

why don’t you get your mom an iPhone?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Steve is rolling in his grave

amazing. they managed to make the lovely icon grid even worse

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

ahhh, whatsapp. i like it a lot but most of the people i know are too dull to pick it up.

they probably use better things not owned and run by facebook, like signal or imessage

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i’ve brought this up before but i did not at all like signal doing the “upload your contacts” thing and then anyone who had me in their contacts got told i was now on signal

i installed it and like fifteen minutes later someone i hadn’t talked to in years messages me

basically just deleted it straight up after that. i think i would expect facebook or linkedin to do that poo poo but getting from a privacy focused apl really rubbed me the wrong way

Apr 7, 2003

Perplx posted:

what

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I use signal a lot and it seems fine.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i bought my mom and iPhone SE 2 after my hand me down 6s died and she enjoys it a lot

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i got a sarnsung galaxy S24+ to replace my S10+ because sarnsung stopped releasing OTA updates for it. i can't tell what's new it's exactly the same as the last one, phones are a scam!

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i got a sarnsung galaxy S24+ to replace my S10+ because sarnsung stopped releasing OTA updates for it. i can't tell what's new it's exactly the same as the last one, phones are a scam!

username + phone choice combo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i've used android forever and i don't give a poo poo. also i'm pretty sure i don't have enough lifeforce left in my body to learn a new phone OS.

gotta say though, the amount of AI poo poo you have to disable now is comical

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i've used android forever (...) i'm pretty sure i don't have enough lifeforce left

hmmm. wonder if these two might be connected

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i don't have enough lifeforce left in my body to learn a new phone OS.

lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Google's Android platform is protected by several additional barriers to entry and expansion, including strong network and scale effects and high switching costs and frictions. For example, if an Android user wants to buy an iPhone, they are likely to face significant financial, technological, and behavioral obstacles to switching. The user may need to re-learn how to operate their smartphone using a new interface.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i just can't bring myself to care about phone

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pinterest Mom posted:

Google's Android platform is protected by several additional barriers to entry and expansion, including strong network and scale effects and high switching costs and frictions. For example, if an Android user wants to buy an iPhone, they are likely to face significant financial, technological, and behavioral obstacles to switching. The user may need to re-learn how to operate their smartphone using a new interface.

source your quotes

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

shitface posted:

username + phone choice combo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

anyways, I switched from a pixel 3a to an iphone 7 in 2023, there was zero friction and the two phones behave the same in a lot of ways

no more green bubbles though which is such a relief

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i've used android forever and i don't give a poo poo. also i'm pretty sure i don't have enough lifeforce left in my body to learn a new phone OS.

the android is the thing sucking your life force. ditch the os and be freed

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

sb hermit posted:

source your quotes

the department of justice lawsuit against apple, with the names switched

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the doj saw the bullshit the eu has been doing and wanted a piece of the action.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Perplx posted:

:hmmyes: for a bit my folks got my previous phone when I'd upgrade, until i stuck with my xs for four years. now they both have 12s mini which are perfect for them

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i just can't bring myself to care about phone

:hmmyes: too

Apr 7, 2003

Perplx posted:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016