Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Looks like it’s not an increased shiny chance event, just marks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://x.com/mana_chan__/status/1771719695940399538?t=coLXX4QbUmYdUCDk0mfAww&s=33

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

mycelia posted:

I assume they all do that, but literally everyone I know picked Larry, so I have no way of finding out... But yeah, it's a very cute touch. The characterisation is getting better and better each game.

I didn't want Larry to somehow wind up with more responsibility so I chose not to pick him. According to Iono, I picked her, and I'm annoyed because I thought my answer was supposed to be confidential! :argh:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I know the 'sleep app' style of Pokemon Sleep isn't for everyone, but the music is actually above what I expect for a cash-in.

Here's the Ecruteak music remix for the current event.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:buddy:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
grr. they pushed a news update (i think?) when I was only 5 minutes into a sandwich, and all my outbreaks reset. Happily i had just found a shiny, or I would have been very, very angry (Marvin the Martian voice)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/SnivyPokemon21/status/1773657221047419099

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So all we’re missing are Arven and Team Star at this point (maybe the DLC cast should they decide to include them eventually)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 29, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Almost done with my X playthrough, gently caress Meowstic. What a loving annoying pokemon.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The new Jaiden Animations video is pokemon relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbdyXIaBK9A\
If only because she met the great Yuka Morii

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

pretty good Japanese Pokémon April Fool’s bit

https://youtu.be/CrEWn5Kp234?si=aTLk2P7D5SB0re_P

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1774576003546776055

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ha! April Fools!

They would never feature a 7 star raid dedicated to Meganium of all things.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

also Regulation G announced (single restricted format). busy day

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN8P5lCPRsU

They reference MissingNo and Pokemon XD in this one

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’ve been watching a lot of phylogeny videos lately and thought it would be fun to attempt a phylogeny of Pokémon again. I attempted one before in 5th gen, but now I’m using the aid of a tiermaker to more easily sort Pokémon into groups.

Let’s start with a group that doesn’t even have a comparison in the animal kingdom. I wanna call this group Mineralia, but I’m sure there’s a better name. These are primarily Pokémon that don’t easily fit into any other group and are largely Rock, Ground, Steel, and Ice types.

I’ve broken it into six clades whose names I haven’t fully settled on yet.

Geodudae consists of Pokémon that are rocks and minerals. It’s comprised of 6 families (7 if you wanna count Diancie and Carbink as different families, but I like to group them together).

Golem, Steelix, Gigalith, Carbink/Diancie, Coalossal, and Garganacl.

Sudodae consists of Pokémon that are mimicking other things. There are 8 families.

Sudowoodo, Probopass, Lunatone, Solrock, Minior, Stonjouner, Claydol, and Golurk.

The next group I wanna call Metallica. It is comprised of Steel types and has 9 families.

Magnezone/ Sandy Shocks, Metagross, Bronzong, Klingklang, Klefki, Melmetal, Magearna, Archeludon, and Revavroom.

Aquadae is mostly ice types and has 4 families.

Castform, Vanilluxe, Cryogonal, and Avalugg

Then we’ve got Elementidae with 6 families.

Thunderus, Landorus, Tornadus, Eternatus, Heatran, and Volcanion.

And finally we have Regidae with all 6 Regis.

Regirock Registeel, Regice, Regileki, Regidrago, and Regigigas.

Next up I’m gonna tackle the ghosts.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

meanwhile i've been attempting phrenology of pokemon

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

oddium posted:

meanwhile i've been attempting phrenology of pokemon

What happens when you get to Cubone

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nanigans posted:

What happens when you get to Cubone

Criminal skull shape (the crime is desecrating a corpse)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

BonHair posted:

Criminal skull shape (the crime is desecrating a corpse)

Nah, that thing's an heirloom

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Zuzie posted:

Lol, 10 entries so far in a monthly series that claims they'll get to all the Pokemon from "1 to 1000 and beyond", good luck with that, pals.
NGL I'm kinda disappointed they're not going in order and I can't watch Poliwhirl right now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They have invented an average of 3 pokemon per month for the life of the franchise.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Zuzie posted:

They also reference Magmar being frozen in the Pokemon Adventures manga, but don't mention what happens right after...

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Diet Poison posted:

Lol, 10 entries so far in a monthly series that claims they'll get to all the Pokemon from "1 to 1000 and beyond", good luck with that, pals.
NGL I'm kinda disappointed they're not going in order and I can't watch Poliwhirl right now.

It would be faster if they covered an entire family instead of a single Pokemon. But I guess they're only going to cover Pokemon that actually have interesting stuff on them in most areas of the franchise.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, here’s my attempt at a ghost phylogeny. I’ve broken them down into 4 clades.

Gengaridae consists of 3 families.

Gengar, Sableye, and Marshadow

Reaperidae has 5 families. These Pokémon all appear to be draped in fabric in at least one stage. The “boo ghosts” if you will.

Flutter Mane/ Mismagius, Banette, Dusknoir, Darkrai, and Mimikyu.

Possessidae is the largest clade with 9 families. These are all Pokémon that mostly appear to be possessed objects.

Drifblim, Rotom, Spiritomb, Cofagrigus/ Runerigus, Chandelure, Aegislash, Pallosand, Polteageist/ Sinischa, and Gholdengo.

Finally there is Djinnidae with just one family.

Hoopa.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Does Shedinja go into a bug family, or ought it be considered a "possessed object"?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

...I'd probably make the argument that Hoopa and the Force of Nature (Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus and Enamorus) should be in the same group.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

Does Shedinja go into a bug family, or ought it be considered a "possessed object"?

I’m gonna put it with the other bugs, but it could be argued that the shell is taken over by an unrelated ghost Pokémon. I’m going with the idea that the spirit of Shedinja is just a tiny part of Nincada that didn’t want to leave, which is why it only has 1hp. That would still make it more closely related to the other ghosts.

Zuzie posted:

...I'd probably make the argument that Hoopa and the Force of Nature (Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus and Enamorus) should be in the same group.

That’s a good point. Y’know, I think I’m gonna move all of those guys into a completely different group, a group I wanna call “demons”. There are a lot of Pokémon based on yokai and oni and such that are just staight up monsters. All the genies should really go there now that I think about it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also wouldn’t Torkoal go in your elemental turtles group?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, I think I’ve finished with the plants. This one took a lot checking and double checking Wikipedia and Bulbapedia.

Plantae contains 9 clades. Let’s start with the smallest ones, each containing only 1 family.

Viridiplantae: Dhelmise.

Lycophyta: Tangrowth

Gymnosperm: Abomasnow

Nymphaeaceae: Ludicolo. I debated where to place Ludicolo. It might be better placed with the demons as it’s a kappa, but I’m currently placing it as if it were a water lily.

Malvids only has 2 families. Whimsicott, and Brambleghast.

Monocots consist of 3 families.

Exeggcutor, Lilligant, and Lurantis. Lurantis is placed as an orchid as it is actually a plant masquerading as a bug, rather than the other way around.

Caryphylids contains 4 families.

Cacturne, Maractus, Victreebel and Carnivine.

Next we have Asterids, which has 5 families.

Sunflora, Jumpluff, Eldegoss, Arboliva, and Scovillain.

Finally we have the largest group, the Rosids, which contains 8 families.

Vilveplume/ Bellossom, Shiftry, Trevanant, Roserade, Cherrim, Ferrothorn, Gourgeist, and Tsareena.

Arivia posted:

Also wouldn’t Torkoal go in your elemental turtles group?

Nope. Heatran and Volcanion are both quadrupedal beasts composed of elements of the deep earth, but they are not turtles. If they were true turtles or tortoises, they would go with Torkoal and the rest of the turtles.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 5, 2024

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Today I’m doing some of the odd linneages.

Ameobozoa has 3 families.

Shuckle, Ditto, and Reuniclus. I’m classing Shuckle as the slime mold I think it’s supposed to be.

Mycota has 4 families.

Breloom, Brute Bonnet/ Amonguss, Shiinotic, and Toedscruel.

Next we have the Cnidarians. I’m making a new group just for Weezing because why the hell not. Cnidarians are weird.

Aerialzoa has 1 family. Weezing.

Hydrozoa has 1 family. Tentacruel.

Scyphozoa has one family. Jellicent.

Anthozoa has 1 family. Corsola/Cursola

Now let’s look at the Echinoderms.

Crinoidea contains 2 families.

Cradily and Glimmora. I’m making Glimmora a crinoid because it has some things in common with the echinoderms and has a “bloom” like Cradily, so why not. Ech8noderms are weird.

Echinozoa contains 2 families.

Pyukumuku and Pincurchin.

Asterozoa contains 2 families.

Starmie and Toxapex.

Finally, we have the group Annelida, which contains just 1 family. Orthworm.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Nessa posted:

I’m classing Shuckle as the slime mold I think it’s supposed to be.

I always assumed it was an endolith, which probably wouldnt change it's taxonomy on your list

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 5, 2024

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Pokemon, just like real animals, can easily be categorized in one of 3 categories: dog, cat or guy.

Pikachu? That's a dog. Snorlax? That's a cat. Mewtwo, oh that's a guy.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Pokemon, just like real animals, can easily be categorized in one of 3 categories: dog, cat or guy.

Mewtwo is a cat though, look at Mew

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Unbound posted:

Mewtwo is a cat though, look at Mew

:haibrower:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

that’s a louse

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

And eevee...? Dog or cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

And eevee...? Dog or cat?

I’d say cat due to the ears and the overall look of its evolved forms