Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

webcams for christ posted:

AI image. but not that far off from reality

Can't be an AI image, the cars are all going the correct direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

you know what's really wasteful? toll gates

millions of hours of productivity are lost, and millions of tons of greenhouse gases are spewed into the air, while cars and trucks idle at long pileups behind toll gates. You might even have a highway system that has the capacity to handle so-and-so high levels of traffic... and all that means is that it creates an even bigger bottleneck when you get to the end of it

not to mention the space and resources involved in creating gigantic toll plazas (which necessarily have to be much larger than the straight roadway it services), as well as the design demands of creating on-ramps and off-ramps with toll gates (as opposed to ramps whose only consideration is a safe entry and exit from the main road)

and for what? so the private corporation that [partly] built the road gets to extract their pound of flesh? it puts to lie that capitalism efficiently allocates resources - you'd free up so much productivity and effort and manpower by simply channeling the payment for the road project and its maintenance directly into the corporations coffers via the government, even if the money has to be extracted with taxes, but no, we have to get ourselves paid at the point of use, so you end up with bullshit like this

https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/1775791665199899091

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
they got rid of tollbooths here and just do camera-only tolling, but they don't really help out with traffic because like half the point of them were to throttle traffic onto bridges since a bridge gridlocked out the wazoo in traffic ain't good for EMS, which they kept

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the tolls around here always have half the booths closed because they have a staffing problem cause the city pays poo poo wages ($15 an hour for a "senior" position), so inevitably you get huge backups as people scramble for change as if they somehow forgot this booth they've driven through for the thousandth time exists, and then cant find another quarter and just drive through it anyway. keeping at least one booth dedicated to the prepaid pass usually resolves this but again, not gonna happen if half the booths are closed.

not as stupid as West Virginia though which has toll booths sprinkled regularly along the highway that cost about $5 and are cash-only unless you have the pass thing, you can't pay with a credit card except for getting a ticket to pay later where it costs twice as much. tolls...ftl.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

My favorite tolls are the dynamic tolls that go up and down based on demand so they can discourage users so you only end up going over at certain times if either you’re desperate or if $30 is nothing to you

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I hate it here

Source:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412024001272

Interactive visual to feel smug about :
https://citiesmoving.com/visualizations/

Fitzy Fitz has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Apr 4, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

those are also my favorite tolls, unironically

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Highways are generally widest in the city not in some remote forest

That image isn't real but Katy Freeway cuts straight through Houston, directly to downtown

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Personally, I can't believe China finally solved traffic by adding one more lane.

Edit:

:smith:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Not entirely sure about the data they're using, they're saying that 90% of people in DC are driving which is, uh, very not true. Maybe you could get those results if you use the DC-Baltimore combined statistical area, which includes counties as far away as West Virginia, but that strikes me as an odd way to do it.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

this is interesting. IMO tokyo, dar es salaam, and shimla are closest to the ideal. fun places to visit?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Not entirely sure about the data they're using, they're saying that 90% of people in DC are driving which is, uh, very not true. Maybe you could get those results if you use the DC-Baltimore combined statistical area, which includes counties as far away as West Virginia, but that strikes me as an odd way to do it.

It vastly overstates car use in my city too, but I think it's using metros instead of city limits, and their source data was broad but not particularly selective ("all available transport surveys"). The larger trends are probably more valuable than the city-level findings.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

you all want to have sex with automobiles

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

There's something very wrong with their numbers for DC according to DC metro statistics even if you include the entire commuting population from MD, VA, WV

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

aw frig aw dang it posted:

that's what the map says, yes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay. I only ask because the bike that I really like (not that I'm in any market to buy it anytime soon, if ever) is made out of that and I'm wondering if it requires more/special care because of that.
It requires frame saver like every steel frame you ever want to keep for a while, and being watchful of corrosion anyway. Other than that go nuts.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

OK, I was going to repost the old My Strange Addiction video for the hundredth time in response to this, but THEY MADE AN UPDATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_7b9Jpx2Pk

Fitzy Fitz has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Apr 4, 2024

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

no. i want to have sex with trains.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OK, I was going to repost the old My Strange Addiction video for the hundredth time in response to this, but THEY MADE AN UPDATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_7b9Jpx2Pk

Chase...

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gently caress CARS

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Does anyone know if those self-driving cars follow the speed limit? The type of person that would jump at a self-driving Tesla also seems like the type of person that would be frustrated with it driving in the rightmost lane at the speed limit.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tesla owners have actually been complaining that a recent software update to FSD doesn't go over the speed limit as much as it used to.

Apr 7, 2003

Mauser posted:

Does anyone know if those self-driving cars follow the speed limit? The type of person that would jump at a self-driving Tesla also seems like the type of person that would be frustrated with it driving in the rightmost lane at the speed limit.

IIRC you can straight up configure how much they speed through a menu

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq4YM-R4NTw

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mauser posted:

you can speed as much as you want. If you are on full self driving and on the freeway you can set that poo poo to 100. If you are on regular roads it only allows like 20% higher or something.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

A real society would throw those responsible for this decision into a volcano

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Oh and I saw someone going the wrong way in a two lane traffic circle yesterday. luckily I was the only other person using it at the time

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

actually, it made your life worse while you wrere driving a car. that means tolls ftw.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I hate it here

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

congestion pricing ftw

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

khazar sansculotte posted:

congestion pricing ftw

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I love truck commercials because they're the ultimate pandering to insecure men, like HERE'S A BUNCH OF poo poo YOU'RE DEFINITELY NOT GONNA DO WITH YOUR TRUCK. HAULIN' TRAILERS, MUDDIN', GRILLIN' BRISKET FOR SOME REASON. NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE YOU EVER GONNA DO WITH THIS TRUCK YER ABOUT TO BUY, BRO.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

I love truck commercials because they're the ultimate pandering to insecure men, like HERE'S A BUNCH OF poo poo YOU'RE DEFINITELY NOT GONNA DO WITH YOUR TRUCK. HAULIN' TRAILERS, MUDDIN', GRILLIN' BRISKET FOR SOME REASON. NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE YOU EVER GONNA DO WITH THIS TRUCK YER ABOUT TO BUY, BRO.

this is true, they should show realistic activities like driving the truck through chik-fil-a and picking up your wife's boyfriend's kid from school

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Getting that third DUI

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
she dewee til i decimal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

my bony fealty posted:

this is true, they should show realistic activities like driving the truck through chik-fil-a and picking up your wife's boyfriend's kid from school

Things you'll actually use it for, like washing it on the driveway and hoping a neighbour walks past so you can give them a knowing nod

Apr 7, 2003

Thirty seconds of a guy maxing out two credit cards while gassing up. Guts. Glory. Ram.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

Winter is great because all the car companies put out ads like 'We are AT WAR with Winter, and you need the Biggest Weapon in order to win the fight. Contact your local RAM dealer today' and then you look outside (the place where grass is fyi) and it's just an endless procession of trucks going suburb - well plowed highway - office and back lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Winter is great because all the car companies put out ads like 'We are AT WAR with Winter, and you need the Biggest Weapon in order to win the fight. Contact your local RAM dealer today' and then you look outside (the place where grass is fyi) and it's just an endless procession of trucks going suburb - well plowed highway - office and back lol

you're helping to end winter permanently no matter where you drive your stupid loving truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Chevy had it the best with LIKE A ROCK. They even had Bob Seger make a song about it.