Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, the movie is not required for S3 because it takes place after the characters graduate high school and are in the middle of starting their careers.

EDIT: what a snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

sb hermit posted:

Also, the movie is not required for S3 because it takes place after the characters graduate high school and are in the middle of starting their careers.

EDIT: what a snipe!

actually watched the movie today cause i didn't know this. it's still fun though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Southern Cassowary posted:

actually watched the movie today cause i didn't know this. it's still fun though.

such a good movie

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

sb hermit posted:

such a good movie

parts of it are kind of goofy (lol at the rocky 4 robot) but i really like the time skip and what they did with it. felt like yuru camp but also unique.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

You know, upon actually checking it out, Banished Hero might be worth a watch simply because it's SO dumb I can just have fun mocking it.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Doodles posted:

Like I said before, it's Senko-San, angel edition.
So... Similar premise, except for different target demographics. Senko-san is for some workers that want some comfort and healthy dose of sweets after exhausting day at work

The angel is for school boys. The first few minutes and camera angles makes it obvious

Level 2 Super Cheat Power: Geez... The MC’s stats growth is absolutely bonkers. He starts from being a weak merchant not suited to combat into an OP god with infinite stats with just one level up. The unique part is that the isekaied MC comes from a fantasy land to another fantasy land. But there are some hints that he probably didn’t get teleported into another world as there are similarities between his home world and the new world. Other than that, it’s just generic OP Isekai stuff. No Takehito Koyasu in the episode, though.

Salad for Eccentrics: Interesting. It reminded me of Sasaki and Peeps from the previous season. Instead of middle aged salaryman and magic bird, we have a detective and magic princess. I think the artstyle does look similar.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

Wind Breaker had some above-average fight animation. not familiar with the source material but I'll give it a chance

pork never goes bad posted:

I thought I'd like this well enough, not a ton, but I'd watch it anyway because my partner loves delinquents. It turns out that I really enjoyed the first ep. I think it'll be real predictable and pretty straightforward but if the animation and character design keeps up it'll be a lot of fun. There were some rad fight moments with plenty of visceral fist-face connection sound effects.

ok i'm sold

if i start watching this are there going to be stupid fart jokes or is that just a poor title choice

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

watching like 20 seconds of fight scene footage on youtube i love the extra sense of motion the rotating camera brings. you can kinda see the trick - they're really just rotating the background, the animation of the characters themselves is pretty close to what i'd expect to see with a static camera angle. but even being able to see that, it's still a good effect. it's adding a lot of visual complexity to the scene while still keeping the actual fight motions clean and easily read.

this video, for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f41FO-PjRx0

not gonna watch more than the first 20 seconds myself, i'll wait to see the fight in context. but it's neat!

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 5, 2024

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Re Yuru Camp, I caught up on the first season and liked it a lot and I'm just starting the second season. My understanding is that it wasn't well liked and was even quite controversial - can anyone fill me in? I guess there's a movie too. Should I skip the second season or just be prepared for a drop in quality or something else?

its fine, theres no drop in quality really, it just has less camping and more tourism which made it feel a bit lesser than season 1

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think the way they're doing backgrounds in the new season of Yuru camp is too photorealistic. New studio seems to be doing a good enough job otherwise, but man I really didn't like how the shots of Fuji over the lake looked like someone put a photoshop filter over a real picture.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

agreed, the new char designs and directing are fine but the backgrounds took a hit

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

astro note is pretty thorough maison ikkoku pastiche despite the sci-fi twist. it succeeded in making me want to return to my watchthrough of that instead

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
It's "My Favorite Maison." It just needs the female lead to sprout antenna on occasion and I'll be unable to hear the male lead in any other voice but Bill Bixby.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

So... Similar premise, except for different target demographics. Senko-san is for some workers that want some comfort and healthy dose of sweets after exhausting day at work

The angel is for school boys. The first few minutes and camera angles makes it obvious.

Bingo. Taking a more wholesome story and lewding it up is a time honored tradition in mass media, and this is done so ham-handed that it breaks kosher.

quote:

Salad for Eccentrics: Interesting. It reminded me of Sasaki and Peeps from the previous season. Instead of middle aged salaryman and magic bird, we have a detective and magic princess. I think the artstyle does look similar.
Oh, now I understand what had me put off by the series. It really is a similar vibe so far. Given how that show ended up, not the best thing to be reminded of. And like the angel show, lewds where it isn't necessary. It didn't really need naked spear fishing or some of the other items shoved into it, and it would be better without them.

My suspicions are that the Fall & Winter were such treasure troves of riches that it dropped my tolerance levels for the same old BS. My list was short as it was, I dropped the angel show after one episode, and I'm likely to do the same here. My autism has me strolling down a tunnel of restoration videos of late, and when I'd rather watch this video of a French dude fixing up an antique whetstone than your anime, it's not the best of appearances.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Picking up Astro Note to my list, never read maison ikkoku, the humor does seem a bit retro style
But I do like these "live in boarding house job" type setups.

Feel like its a waste for a chef of his experience level to just do breakfast for a share house, but if it includes room, it be good to for him to just do breakfast and get another job for the rest of the day.

Wondering if 250yen budget per person for meals is good enough, but it is just breakfast. So about 1250yen for a meal for 5 people, I guess considering price of raw ingredients, it can be do-able. Eggs and bread can be used for multiple days and is cheap, ect.

Not sure where its gonna go with the aliens thing, wouldn't mind if it was just a regular gig anime, but don't mind that its there.

--
Irregular at Magic High School S3 ep1 also out today. Been a while, don't have hopes for it, since the first two seasons was a very very chopped up adaptation with a ton of scenes and character moments cut that isn't the main two characters. Magic Jesus kind of gets too OP even for me at times, so a balance of the regular characters is kind of needed.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 5, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
My take on the big Windbreaker fight scene is that the backgrounds really stand out, and the swooping around ends up emphasizing a disconnect between that and the animation that still feels very 2d in framing. The two parrts don't really mesh into something that I like.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I understand that Wind Breaker appears to be a cool and good show that people like, but lol at the title.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Sponsored by Beano.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Doodles posted:

Oh, now I understand what had me put off by the series. It really is a similar vibe so far. Given how that show ended up, not the best thing to be reminded of. And like the angel show, lewds where it isn't necessary. It didn't really need naked spear fishing or some of the other items shoved into it, and it would be better without them.

My suspicions are that the Fall & Winter were such treasure troves of riches that it dropped my tolerance levels for the same old BS. My list was short as it was, I dropped the angel show after one episode, and I'm likely to do the same here. My autism has me strolling down a tunnel of restoration videos of late, and when I'd rather watch this video of a French dude fixing up an antique whetstone than your anime, it's not the best of appearances.

I stopped the angel show too. It was just the same old, same old. Was the spoiler about naked spear fishing pertaining to Salad for Eccentrics?

Ugh. I don't know if I'm getting old or the joke is getting old. Probably both. But I find I'm less tolerant of stupid ecchi shoehorned in for a cheap, easy laugh.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I thought some of the gags in Salad for Eccentrics were p funny, and I like the dynamic of the detective and princess. It's not clear to me whether it'll have enough interesting stuff to do. The unnecessary lewdness isn't great but so far they've kept it to the adult character rather than the teenager. A low bar to clear, but not one I can take for granted. If it doesn't ramp up or switch focus then the weird lewding alone wouldn't stop me watching it, but the show is definitely a candidate for dropping.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

read somewhere that Girls Band Cry isn't licensed for streaming anywhere outside of Japan currently, is that right? was looking forward to the first ep today but that may not be in the cards...

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Pan Dulce posted:

I stopped the angel show too. It was just the same old, same old. Was the spoiler about naked spear fishing pertaining to Salad for Eccentrics?

angel show i gave a few minutes but i hated the style and then got to the like milk spill undressing scene and decided i had better things to do with my time

i watched the first ep of salad and yeah the princess's guard woman gets reverse isekai'd also and everyone freaks out because she's covered in blood so she takes a bath and then spearfishes up some food. it's a dumb bit but when it's juxtaposed with the princess being a precocious 13 year old who moves in with private detective guy and gets really into detective conan it feels like it could get more gross and i'm kind of eh on it. the rest of it was charming and energetic, so that bums me out.

also watched some other stuff:

yuru camp: the backgrounds do look worse, which is a bummer because yuru camp's backgrounds really did a lot of selling the awe-inspiring feeling of nature. but the vibes are still there, and i don't think i've seen any part of a show or movie that does as good of a job at capturing the yearning solitude of being outdoors as yuru camp's quiet moments. rin's grandpa is the coolest anime character.

wind breaker: this is 100% what i want from my dumb delinquent show. the vibe and characters were really fun (if not particularly original), and that fight scene was sick. also want to mention the sketchy dream sequence at the beginning was a really neat style choice also. big surprise for me cause i was eh on the pvs, loved this.

a condition of love: seems like inoffensive shoujo but i wasn't really feeling the style or how it was written at all.

highspeed etoile: insanely weird first ep. there's a little exposition dump and hologram idol concert at the beginning, then the entire rest of the episode is a tv broadcast of this near future f1/prototype racing series played incredibly straight. like, 15 minutes of this guy pits now, this person crashed, they hit their boost at the right time, they hit the apex. straight up watching anime IMSA with tron lightcycle beams for 15 minutes. it's all cg and the racing stuff looks...fine, the cars have some heft and sense of speed but they are avoiding showing crashes or turns much as that breaks the illusion.

right at the end they set up that the actual protagonist for the show is a ballerina they recruited to start racing and the next episode is another race at a new track. i do not know what the stakes or plot of the show are currently past some vague insinuations.

i have zero idea what to make of this yet but i'll be watching more just because the juxtaposition of the characters kind of feeling like an idol show and dedicating most of the episode to an insanely dry racing broadcast is so strange that i want to see where they go from here.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 5, 2024

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

Si.

quote:

Ugh. I don't know if I'm getting old or the joke is getting old. Probably both. But I find I'm less tolerant of stupid ecchi shoehorned in for a cheap, easy laugh.

Also si.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1776349067326460302

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Wow @ river bathing shaming

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

GateOfD posted:

Picking up Astro Note to my list, never read maison ikkoku, the humor does seem a bit retro style
But I do like these "live in boarding house job" type setups.
If you like setups like that, then Maison Ikkoku is right up your alley. Hell, it's probably the progenitor of such tropes, given that it's from Takahashi. There was an anime made of it as well, but I don't know of it's availability. Given that they've remade "Urusei Yatsura," maybe they'll do a remake of that one too.

"Ranma 1/2" first, though.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

alright girls band cry rules.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

streaming...when...

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The actual important tweet in that thread.

:carol: Yurieguchi confirmed. :carol:

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1776350842548896228?s=19

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

haypliss posted:

The actual important tweet in that thread.

:carol: Yurieguchi confirmed. :carol:

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1776350842548896228?s=19

That legitimately looks like some great animation.

More CGI like this plz.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darth Walrus posted:

I understand that Wind Breaker appears to be a cool and good show that people like, but lol at the title.

ninjewtsu posted:

if i start watching this are there going to be stupid fart jokes or is that just a poor title choice

It's pretty much another name for a bomber jacket, which is the school uniform.

There's also a pun there because the school name because furin (風鈴, wind bell) sounds similar to furin (不倫 adultery, impropriety) and their new nickname boufuurin (ボウフウリン) means a protective windbreak row of trees or hedges
(I googled this, if anyone knows better please chime in)

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

wind breakers and bomber jackets are quite dissimilar to each other and neither is very much like a gakuran which is what that uniform is

that japanese stuff tracks though (and except the adultery bit is explained in the show at the end of the first ep)

eta at first i was being cagey about the show to avoid spoilers but it's in the official description so - the students at the school formed a gang to defend the neighborhood instead of just fighting amongst themselves. they named it bofurin because it's a windbreak to prevent the violence from nearby neighborhoods from spilling into theirs. as far as i can tell the name of the show references this metaphorical windbreak rather than the clothing item.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Farter

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

someone post a link to the first episode of Girls Band Cry or i will actually kill myself

e: just showed up on my completely legal and free site. see you all later

symbolic fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 6, 2024

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i will wait for non-MTL subs

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

i will wait for non-MTL subs

these subs don't seem MTL. skill issue

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

these subs don't seem MTL. skill issue

the one set of english subs i see on my completely legal free site of choice explicitly say they're mtl

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

the one set of english subs i see on my completely legal free site of choice explicitly say they're mtl

if mine are i can't discern any irregularities. skill issue

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

anyways first ep was very solid, CGI felt less natural than it did in MyGO but it was still done rather well, looking forward to more

e: as i was typing this the translation spat out "it's joever"

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Can someone DM me about something that’s not wherever you can find Girls Band Cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

that japanese stuff tracks though (and except the adultery bit is explained in the show at the end of the first ep)

Yeah the furin/fuurin thing might be a bit of a stretch, I'm completely guessing about the puns