Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Tired Moritz posted:

Wtf, is this not day 2

It's Day 2 but someone town was vigged last night. That means we're now 10 and 6 to execute, instead of 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shellception posted:

Walk me through it, please. I need coffee.

Or, you know, I think we're alone here, so you can also post spoidah facts if you feel like.

Spoidah!

I thought you were saying I had no night action because I didn’t win the contest.

So I said scum could have actions too, not just fish derived ones, because the op doesn’t say otherwise.

Then after a couple of minutes thought maybe I had misunderstood your point about the no night action.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

hambeet posted:

Spoidah!

I thought you were saying I had no night action because I didn’t win the contest.

So I said scum could have actions too, not just fish derived ones, because the op doesn’t say otherwise.

Then after a couple of minutes thought maybe I had misunderstood your point about the no night action.

Well, yes, scum could bave non-fish related actions. But, you know, there's a bit of a hole in that logic re:you...

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

Wtf, is this not day 2

You around? Anything you want to tell us about?

It can be spoidahs.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I feel like I don't have any cool animal facts to tell. Maybe fish, but it's been a bit since I got really into fishkeeping so I've kind of forgotten them.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shellception posted:

Well, yes, scum could bave non-fish related actions. But, you know, there's a bit of a hole in that logic re:you...

Well yeah. It was more of a question in my first post… but yeah.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You know the myth about the average human eating 8 spoidahs in their lifetime?

It’s not true.

It’s way more than 8 in Australia.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

All I recall is those dummies (platyfish: pretty common in aquariums and also ovovivipares that hold eggs inside and give birth to live fishies) had a pretty funny sex chromosome distribution: they can be male, male, female, female or female. They've got two different sets of what's in humans the X chromosome. Any combination of genes that has no Y chromosomes will result on a female specimen.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

hambeet posted:

You know the myth about the average human eating 8 spoidahs in their lifetime?

It’s not true.

It’s way more than 8 in Australia.

Well yeah, but I kinda feel like you all go around raising the bar for everyone else.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Shellception posted:

You around? Anything you want to tell us about?

It can be spoidahs.

Nothing much. All I did was fish on C.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Unlike most egg-laying fish, platyfish mate, so the male of the species has a goniopodium (word). This is a modified ventral fin that's pointy and rigid, instead of rounded like in the female fish. So you can tell the difference at first glance.

Except that sometimes you can't. Because those are lake fishies, if you have young males in a tank with mature males, the older fish's hormones can actually inhibit the sexual development of the younger ones. It's actually not rare to have adult female-looking fish naturally "transition" when mature males die.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

Nothing much. All I did was fish on C.

How big and what was your biggest fish? This may be an extremely dumb question, but I don't think it hurts to ask.

Also, what do you think of the current day state?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I got a salmon 4826g. Didn't win though, lame.

Honestly the fact that people suddenly brought up the LYLO/MYLO is a bit... It's pinging me. Feels like people are just randomly bringing it up to distract people from something.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

I got a salmon 4826g. Didn't win though, lame.

Honestly the fact that people suddenly brought up the LYLO/MYLO is a bit... It's pinging me. Feels like people are just randomly bringing it up to distract people from something.

I'm not sure who brought it up first, but I felt like it made sense in the context of "can we afford to vote out both Cube if we vote Beet and Cube is pulling a gambit, or are we locked out into EXLO if we gently caress up and exe Beet on a fake Cube claim?" I don't think that's a bad question to ask, honestly, just maybe a bit premature.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Pinged Illu and got told the votecount is now fixed (was showing Keats as alive). So that's where we are now:

Votecount for Day 2

hambeet (3): CubicalSucrose, Zoya, PlasticAutomaton

Not Voting (7): Hal Incandenza, hambeet, Maerlyn, Sandwolf, Shellception, shwinnebego, Tired Moritz

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 06th, 2024 at 11 p.m. EEST -- that's in about 1 day, 11 hours.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Your platyfish can sometimes develop weird graphical glitches:

This is a swordtail fish. Same species as the platyfish, but carries a gene that makes the lower fin get elongated, so it gets a different name. Swordtails are found in nature.

But Xyphos (that's the species name) are extremely easy to breed, "buy 1 get 40 free" levels of easy to breed. So there are a fuckton of fancy fishies around, most of which are pretty much never found in nature. Like the lyretail swordfish, where the mutation affects all fins and not only the lower back fin:

That one in the pic is a male, btw - you can clearly see the gonopodium in the underbelly. Pretty clearly in fact - since it's a fin, it does get affected by the elongated fin genes too, and makes those males all but sterile in practice even if they are perfectly able to breed otherwise. As a result, most of those are tank-bred.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah we should just kill hambeet, right? Unless there's some kind of ninja at play.

If beet just got struck by a modkilling ray from the heavens and vaporized from game (sorry beet!), who would you want to vote?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Shellception posted:

I'm not sure who brought it up first, but I felt like it made sense in the context of "can we afford to vote out both Cube if we vote Beet and Cube is pulling a gambit, or are we locked out into EXLO if we gently caress up and exe Beet on a fake Cube claim?" I don't think that's a bad question to ask, honestly, just maybe a bit premature.

It feels like a question to stop us from chain voting cube if hambeet does flip town. Like if we flip hambeet, then we go for someone else that's town, then we'll lose right then and there, right?

That's the vibe I'm getting anyway. Shenanigans are happening

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Shellception posted:

If beet just got struck by a modkilling ray from the heavens and vaporized from game (sorry beet!), who would you want to vote?

If hambeet flips town, then absolutely cube. If hambeet flips scum, then sand.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

It feels like a question to stop us from chain voting cube if hambeet does flip town. Like if we flip hambeet, then we go for someone else that's town, then we'll lose right then and there, right?

That's the vibe I'm getting anyway. Shenanigans are happening

Hmm. Ok, yeah, that's an interesting viewpoint. I hadn't seen it from there. Kind of assumed that if beet gets flipped and flips scum, we should be kicking Cube into orbit, 'cause there are very few explanations for that that don't involve scum having an unaccounted for redirector power or some other shenanigan that can't really be predicted.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shellception posted:

All I recall is those dummies (platyfish: pretty common in aquariums and also ovovivipares that hold eggs inside and give birth to live fishies) had a pretty funny sex chromosome distribution: they can be male, male, female, female or female. They've got two different sets of what's in humans the X chromosome. Any combination of genes that has no Y chromosomes will result on a female specimen.

fishies!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shellception posted:

oddly specific beet/fic

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Shellception posted:

Hmm. Ok, yeah, that's an interesting viewpoint. I hadn't seen it from there. Kind of assumed that if beet gets flipped and flips town, we should be kicking Cube into orbit, 'cause there are very few explanations for that that don't involve scum having an unaccounted for redirector power or some other shenanigan that can't really be predicted.

Mafia edit. If beet flips town (not scum) we kick cube.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shellception posted:

Hmm. Ok, yeah, that's an interesting viewpoint. I hadn't seen it from there. Kind of assumed that if beet gets flipped and flips scum, we should be kicking Cube into orbit, 'cause there are very few explanations for that that don't involve scum having an unaccounted for redirector power or some other shenanigan that can't really be predicted.

wait what?

how would me flipping scum implicate cube?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shellception posted:

Mafia edit. If beet flips town (not scum) we kick cube.

lmao okay. now that makes sense.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

hambeet posted:

wait what?

how would me flipping scum implicate cube?

I blame workplace drama. Can't do two things at once.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i can honestly say i'm gonna flip town, but there's no way you can know that and you've gotta test cube and cube's data by flipping me.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shellception posted:

I blame workplace drama. Can't do two things at once.

i think you can, you just end up doing one of them poorly. or maybe both. i hope the work wasn't that important :v:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

hambeet posted:

i think you can, you just end up doing one of them poorly. or maybe both. i hope the work wasn't that important :v:

It was just juicy gossiping. But distracting.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I don't think I want to flip Sand even if Clombeet is a baddie. Weird as it may seem.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

hambeet posted:

no idea.

i dont get the sense cube is faking or doing a bit either, because of what you pointed out. the first thing i learned about the game was i got sausages. i looked back to see why and then read the OP and worked out it was because i missed out on a watch, which means someone else got it.

hambeet posted:

i can honestly say i'm gonna flip town, but there's no way you can know that and you've gotta test cube and cube's data by flipping me.

I don't feel like you think Cube is scum, though. And, if you are town, and Cube is town, and you both flip, we lose. (D2 7-3 goes onto D3 5-3 goes onto D4 3-3)

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I honestly think (and that's me) that the first reaction of a Scum!Sand that sees Cube come in with a slam dunk on beet wouldn't be "wtf fake".

Clo wasn't engaged in game. Beet hasn't even had the time to be engaged in game. Seen from there, having them do the kill makes some good amount of sense.

But I kind of feel that a Scum!Sand that has zero heat on himself doesn't go onto the weeds to save a compromised scummate caught in the act (and let's be frank, one that's going to flip unless someone somehow checks in with even more weird poo poo) when he knows, 'cause he's done it before, that he can ride the town cred bus to victory instead.

Why put himself on the spotlight? Like, what for?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shellception posted:

I don't feel like you think Cube is scum, though. And, if you are town, and Cube is town, and you both flip, we lose. (D2 7-3 goes onto D3 5-3 goes onto D4 3-3)

hmmm yeah....

i dont feel cube is scum because i don't really have a read on anyone, outside of plastics convenient case.

i dont feel cube is faking it because i quickly joined the games mechanics as to what would happen to a fake claim. it's impossible for cube to have lied about having the watch.

so if he watched iggy, he still should not have seen me. i don't have a night action. so that would imply two things:

1) that scum have something wild like a framer or whatever, and i'm not sure i buy that, or
2) that cube is outright lying, but that makes no sense either.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Fished in C today and C apparently sucks for catching fish, wow.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Fish fry!

Newborn platy fry are not much less than a couple eyes glued to a tail. But compared to their adult size, ovovivipares are actually pretty big! Most ovipare fish fry are extremely tiny.

Guppy, unfortunately, do partake in the time-honoured fish tradition of eating their own fry. Mostly they will munch on anything big enough to fit their mouths, which fry are, but I've seen one at least actively hunt them by spooking them out of cover, like a hunting dog. Fish can get smart for their tiny brains.

Enter guppy fish instead. Those are the other ovovivipare tank fish everyone has heard of.

Like platies, guppies give birth to live fry, which are the same size as platies' and virtually indistinguishable. But, compared to platy, adult guppy are smaller and they generally don't eat their young.

This, in my experience, means that a tank with both types of fish that get both types of fish will quickly develop two differentiated fry populations. Platy fry are extremely shy, and will hide in the bottom (both fish are top-dwellers: they eat at surface level, so the bottom of the tank is the safest side) to the point that you may not notice them for days. Guppy fry, meanwhile, will be swimming your entire tank up and down, sometimes fighting the goddamn adults for food even. They just don't give a gently caress.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

However! While neither platy nor guppy are group fish (they can actually get a bit territorial), fries are kinda socially smart and will get braver if they see other fry swimming around unattacked. Which is rarer if they are all platies in hiding, though it can happen. But If you get a mixed fry population, sometimes the guppy fry will actually follow the platy fry off cover, and you get mixed swimming groups!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Shellception posted:

Platy, unfortunately, do partake in the time-honoured fish tradition of eating their own fry.

... mafia edit. Dammit.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Besmirching the good name of guppy’s

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

hambeet posted:

Besmirching the good name of guppy’s

I have no idea why tank ovovivipares get such dumb names. Ovipares? Zebrafish, Tetra fish, Neon fish, Cardinal fish, Ghost fish. Vivipares? Yea let's call 'em something that sounds like a telenovela nickname, that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

We used to have Mickey mouse platys which were pretty cute, but we were terrible fish owners where water changes were concerned.

I think a small tank with shrimp would be cool to have again, they are fun to watch