Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone noticed any gameplay difference for pawns with badges vs pawns without a badge?
My pawn didn't get a single one during my whole playthrough.

No but I've seen videos where you can ask them to lead you to various points of interest like dungeons/caves you've missed. When you talk to them you get a list of 5 or 6 points of interest they can take you to. I'm not sure if it's available once they get any badge whatsoever or if it's dependent on the type of badge (monster slaying or camping in a given region, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

No but I've seen videos where you can ask them to lead you to various points of interest like dungeons/caves you've missed. When you talk to them you get a list of 5 or 6 points of interest they can take you to. I'm not sure if it's available once they get any badge whatsoever or if it's dependent on the type of badge (monster slaying or camping in a given region, for example).

Must be, because I haven't seen a feature like that in my 85 hours.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dragon's Dogma 2 DLC discourse be like

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack Trades posted:

Must be, because I haven't seen a feature like that in my 85 hours.

I haven't either so Idk what the badges actually do. I assume getting a pawn badge for a specific monster is equivalent to 3-star monster knowledge in DD1 where your pawn would know all of that enemy's weak points and elemental weaknesses, but who knows

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I haven't either so Idk what the badges actually do. I assume getting a pawn badge for a specific monster is equivalent to 3-star monster knowledge in DD1 where your pawn would know all of that enemy's weak points and elemental weaknesses, but who knows

My pawn never had any badged but she definitely called out about wolves hating fire and would definitely aim for lizardman tails and cyclops eyes.
That's kind of why I'm suspecting that the badges don't make any difference in combat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I do miss the pawns having lines tied to geography, it's all generic commentary now. None of these guys would tell you where all roads lead to or notice the size of one particular tree

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

No Dignity posted:

I do miss the pawns having lines tied to geography, it's all generic commentary now. None of these guys would tell you where all roads lead to or notice the size of one particular tree

I think it's a fair tradeoff when they comment on things like Battahli subjects admiring Nadinia while Vermundian subjects fear Disa.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Or it could be all placebo, because I haven't noticed much of a difference in behavior either.
The camping badges do give you the option to ask the pawn to show you various stuff in that region though, from what I've seen.

Edit: Man, I'm getting sick of all these obviously hacked low level pawns.
Yeah, I'm sure your level 30 sorcerer with every vocation maxed, and in full dragonforged endgame gear is totally legit.
Into the brine with them, every single one

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 5, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume I want Elven smithing for a magick bow?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume I want Elven smithing for a magick bow?

Some would probably argue that knockdown power is more important, but magick archer kills stuff so fast anyway that it's not really relevant, so yeah

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Is anyone able to gift my pawn a copy of the Fulminous Shield tome? I stupidly traded it to the woman in the Nameless Village for Howling Blizzard instead of first duping it at the forger. I can trade back gold or items of course. Pawn is Griz Q2U9O7J077VX of add me on PSN: grizzlywilde.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jack Trades posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2 DLC discourse be like

Her video about the DLC straight up lied about it, then she made a second video saying even if she did lie she was right anyway and didn't address a single issue people raised about her first video. It's very much not worth the attention.

Sioux posted:

Is anyone able to gift my pawn a copy of the Fulminous Shield tome? I stupidly traded it to the woman in the Nameless Village for Howling Blizzard instead of first duping it at the forger. I can trade back gold or items of course. Pawn is Griz Q2U9O7J077VX of add me on PSN: grizzlywilde.

I can't cross platform pawn, can I?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

Still haven't found any Dullahans. I went by a spot people said they can spawn just outside Bakbattahl but I got a Lich instead so I think that one can vary, but it was nice since I got the last wailing crystal I needed for another upgrade.

I'm going to go do the quest in the Misty Marshes and hopefully that's just a weird story gate to getting them to spawn in the world. I think I need a total of 6 bones for the things I need to upgrade.

I finally found one outside the mountain base cave, just southwest of the volcanic island camp.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just realized I beat the game without ever running into the medusa again

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Deified Data posted:

Just realized I beat the game without ever running into the medusa again

There's just the one, and it's in an area you never really need to go close to for the main quest.
There's.... also no sidequests that take you there, now that I think about it

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Her video about the DLC straight up lied about it, then she made a second video saying even if she did lie she was right anyway and didn't address a single issue people raised about her first video. It's very much not worth the attention.

Youtube content creator spreads misinformation in hopes for clicks: more at ten

Broken Cog posted:

There's just the one, and it's in an area you never really need to go close to for the main quest.

Which is a shame because the area and the climb up to the castle is very cool. Whenever there's a big setpiece of exploration like that it always makes me feel great, in retrospect there were a tad too few of those and a tad too many similar looking caves.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I can't cross platform pawn, can I?

I think we should be, using the pawn id's? But for some reason I'm having trouble finding some goon pawn id's from the Goon Pawn list. I wish there was an easy way to favorite them all.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah the only real signpost for that side of the map is Sigurd's icon on the map. I don't even think it happens until fairly late in the main quest after you're tasked with finding wyrmslife crystals (assuming you don't already have the requisite number from killing drakes). Ambrosius tells you about lesser dragons, then you can talk to Luz who tells you about the Dragon's Breath tower, then I think Sigurd warps to that part of the map.

DD2 has a really weird blurred line between main quests and side quests that I still haven't made up my mind about. Several side quests give you character development/exposition you'd never see from the main quest and some send you to highly curated, cool parts of the map you'd never see otherwise unless you happen to explore there. I like how it supplements the otherwise disjointed main story and encourages exploration, but I also feel like a lot of it should have been reworked into mandatory main quests, cutscenes, etc.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Steeled Foundation only reduces fall damage by 10%?! What the gently caress were they smoking when they made some of these abilities?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

To be honest, it is kind of a hassle to type in search codes on a PS5 only for half of them to just not work. Sometimes I end up hiring randos instead.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

edit: removed vid bc I can't figure out how to get rid of the embed. post-game spoiler, here's what the video showed:
the seabed shrine you find mid/late game and eventually evacuate everybody to in the post-game is a dilapidated Gran Soren

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 5, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JoeGlassJAw posted:

video features spoilers for the post-game:

how did i not notice this

All roads truly lead to Gran Soren.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 5, 2024

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Thundarr posted:

To be honest, it is kind of a hassle to type in search codes on a PS5 only for half of them to just not work. Sometimes I end up hiring randos instead.

I've almost exclusively used goon pawns from the Google doc. But pawns seem more generic in DD2. Other than quest knowledge they all seem to act about the same. I only had one rando pawn act weird. It was a sorcerer who instead of nuking a drake it kept climbing and hitting it.

Other random ones I've used all act about the same as any others.

In the old game pawns really did seem to act wildly different based on their two inclinations and monster and quest knowledge.

Biggest factor in how they act in DD2 seems to be what skills are equipped.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 5, 2024

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I have started to be more discerning about pawns since I was just about to hire a thief in the high 50s then I suddenly noticed her Strength value was really low, and turns out she had no weapon equipped.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

JoeGlassJAw posted:

video features spoilers for the post-game:
Yeah, the video title features spoilers too, thanks

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I love logisticians using up all the herbs I needed for a quest

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Volte posted:

sorry about this, I was posting from desktop and there was no embed so I thought I was safe. removed from my post, can't do anything about Jack Trades' quote unfortunately

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So, another question about post-game, particularly about pawn affection. What sort of "special scene" are you supposed to have gotten with max affection? Does anyone know this yet?

I got a scene where my pawn turned into a goopy dragon, flew me up to a bigger dragon (that we never get to fight?!), gave a little speech about me giving them purpose before opening the dragon's heart and getting yeeted back to earth, but that's it. Does max affection add to that or change it entirely?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Volte posted:

If it's any consolation, it's not really relevant to anything. Just feels like a nod

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deified Data posted:

So, another question about post-game, particularly about pawn affection. What sort of "special scene" are you supposed to have gotten with max affection? Does anyone know this yet?

I got a scene where my pawn turned into a goopy dragon, flew me up to a bigger dragon (that we never get to fight?!), gave a little speech about me giving them purpose before opening the dragon's heart and getting yeeted back to earth, but that's it. Does max affection add to that or change it entirely?

I think what they say during that very last scene is slightly different if they're max affection.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

I have started to be more discerning about pawns since I was just about to hire a thief in the high 50s then I suddenly noticed her Strength value was really low, and turns out she had no weapon equipped.

I think you can still /give/ her a weapon and she will equip it. It will probably be returned to your stash when you dismiss or brine the pawn, like other random items they picked up during their time with you.

Malaria posted:

I've almost exclusively used goon pawns from the Google doc.

I just hired your pawn Gothgirl for the second time. She was a good healer last time and she is just a little overleveled for me, but honestly sometimes I take pawns 10 levels higher than myself and it's still fun.

Thundarr posted:

Yeah. I just added a bunch of goons from the Goon discord and a Helldivers Goon PSN group, in the hopes that they also play DD2 (also for Helldivers 2).
Would it be a good idea to add a column "PSN name" to the goon pawn database? That way we can just add goons on PSN and hire their pawns for free (and more easily than muck about with the pawn id's).

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Jack Trades posted:

I think what they say during that very last scene is slightly different if they're max affection.

This is the Ranni ending all over again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sioux posted:

I think you can still /give/ her a weapon and she will equip it. It will probably be returned to your stash when you dismiss or brine the pawn, like other random items they picked up during their time with you.

If you equip anything on someone else's pawn then I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get it back anymore.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

If you equip anything on someone else's pawn then I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get it back anymore.

Yah I seem to remember this is what the warning message said the one time I tried to equip an item on a support pawn out of curiosity. I'm pretty sure it's treated as a gift.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Deified Data posted:

With max pawn affection, your pawn gets slightly more dialogue about being given a will, and returns to their original form briefly during that moment instead of remaining a dragon the whole time. it's not much.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Actually I looked up the difference and it's a little more substantial than I thought.
High affinity version has your pawn transform back into their normal form and give a whole speech before being crushed by the dragon while the low affinity doesn't have that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Actually I looked up the difference and it's a little more substantial than I thought.
High affinity version has your pawn transform back into their normal form and give a whole speech before being crushed by the dragon while the low affinity doesn't have that.

Oooh, so if you're low affection they stay as a dragon the whole time? My pawn actually turned back to her original form in this scene so maybe I got it after all, I'd have to see both versions to know for sure. Thing is, my pawn never really showed signs of being max affection otherwise, so maybe it's more subtle than we thought. She's also a beastren so I wouldn't be able to tell if she was blushing or not.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Oooh, so if you're low affection they stay as a dragon the whole time? My pawn actually turned back to her original form in this scene so maybe I got it after all, I'd have to see both versions to know for sure. Thing is, my pawn never really showed signs of being max affection otherwise, so maybe it's more subtle than we thought. She's also a beastren so I wouldn't be able to tell if she was blushing or not.

They do blush sometimes but they don't change their whole personality overnight. I think you'd need to actually talk with your pawn a lot to notice, if it wasn't for the mod I don't know how long it'd have taken me to catch on.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

If it doesn't stop, it certainly becomes inconsequential cause I think it's been a few weeks IG of me running around at this point without a single change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sioux posted:

Would it be a good idea to add a column "PSN name" to the goon pawn database? That way we can just add goons on PSN and hire their pawns for free (and more easily than muck about with the pawn id's).

Maybe turn 'PS5' into a hyperlink where if you hover over it it shows you the name, just like how Steam currently shows you the profile for most people. I'm not an Excel wizard but should be possible right