Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

wow i have to turn on inverted camera in order to get the correct aircraft controls... these are not the same thing

Edit: also i keep accidentally turning on motion controls because im gorilla gripping the left stick on dives lol'

But unless there are more than the three courses, i dunno the way everyone was talking about it it seemed like it would be a nightmare but i managed to 3-star those fine after some practice. I guess I did play Pilotwings and Pilotwings 64 though

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

That... Can't be real, can it? I'm gonna have to boot it up on lunch aren't I?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Even the last time I posted that exact thing in this thread the only real response was someone wondering if I wasn't accidentally doing a synergy skill.

Frankly I wonder how some people even discover this stuff. Or what the theory behind having such an esoteric tech in the game is. I half think they did it just to have weird secrets. Seems on brand.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Someone pointed out it is actually shown in the UI when you're holding down block the Switch character prompt turns to "Tag Team", I never noticed it nor remember a tutorial about it tho lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Even the last time I posted that exact thing in this thread the only real response was someone wondering if I wasn't accidentally doing a synergy skill.

Frankly I wonder how some people even discover this stuff. Or what the theory behind having such an esoteric tech in the game is. I half think they did it just to have weird secrets. Seems on brand.

Some developers flat-out leave undocumented tech in games because people discovering and sharing things on their own can be effective at making people like a game more.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It definitely works, your character just pops over to bop the enemy once no matter where they are. Wow

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Its real and it works. Highly recommended because it makes managing party member positioning much easier especially with melee characters

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wow there are a lot of times where knowing this would’ve really come in handy

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It took me forever to realize that the ATB Boost ability is listed in the L1 menu and I think I used it like once in my entire first play through even though I distinctly remembered it from Remake. Like I would specifically equip it on someone before a boss and then just go the entire fight without thinking about it and I did this dozens and dozens of times.

I’ve finally kind of remembered it but I can also tap L1 to see that it’s equipped. I really love the combat system in this game but there are a lot of moving parts and sometimes they move pretty fast and it’s hard to keep track of all your options. I don’t use shortcuts much because it really helps me to basically pause every 5 seconds and think about what’s going on.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

WaltherFeng posted:

Its real and it works. Highly recommended because it makes managing party member positioning much easier especially with melee characters

The number of times I had to have Cloud sprint halfway across the room to get at the thing I wanted him to hit...

This would also make Barret's up close attacks way more usable.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
I really like the combat for that reason. The skies the limit for what you can do. Can spend every instance micro managing to eek out the most effort. IMO the combat is perfect and i hope they keep these systems around for a long time

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Thundarr posted:

The number of times I had to have Cloud sprint halfway across the room to get at the thing I wanted him to hit...

For Cloud specifically, if you dodge and hold square he does a stinger.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What the gently caress lol

God drat I'm gonna have to play again just to use this tech

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

wow i have to turn on inverted camera in order to get the correct aircraft controls... these are not the same thing

I already play with inverted camera so this specifically was more or less fine for me (except BOTH sticks are STILL chocobo control with no camera control for some insane reason). The real hosed up thing is that the patch also applied to Pirate's Rampage. I remembered getting through both the normal and hard versions with little issue on my first play through, then I did it on Hard/playthrough 2 for some reason and it felt like my brain and hands were at war with each other because the controls were now inverted. Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to tie these settings to something you've presumably already set up how you want and would have to fiddle with just for these specific minigames?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I finally got the Chadley completion scene and I feel bad for any poo poo I talked about him. It was strangely sweet how he just wants to document the full gamut of the human experience and Cloud is his social link to that. My little shonen Johnny-5 just wants that input.

Ror fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 5, 2024

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thundarr posted:

If cloud dodged and presses square he does ranged attacks. If he dodges and holds it he teleports to the enemy even if they’re flying. If he holds square normally he does an AOE that sucks guys in. In punisher mode these all change again and in prime mode they change again too

There are more attacks in the game than it first seems

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Well, everything that happens in the Gold Saucer in Chapter 12 is amazing, holy poo poo. The ballet! Aerith's song! (Please tell me she sings that regardless of who you're on a date with.) The actual date itself, though! Corneo goons->Corneo->Turks->Rufus boss rush! So good, all of it. I love Cloud and Rufus' strange and antagonistic yet still growing friendship, with that "Well, the hand that feeds..." / "And yet, here we are" exchange, and then Rufus taking time in the fight to brag about his gun and tease Cloud about being jealous of it.

Cait Sith's last line is sticking in my throat, though. Is it supposed to be obnoxiously self-pitying and delusional? Because... "I thought we were friends", really dude? Really? We were friends until you betrayed us to Shinra, that's why it is a betrayal in the first place, that is literally why everyone's mad at you now.

Also someone please tell me that there's going to be a point to all this Zach stuff, it is so weird and they're not explaining anything, one of the factions of the whispers (I think Sephiroth's, but I'm not sure? Does Biggs or Zach identify them as wearing black or am I misremembering?) are grabbing dudes and depositing them in some sort of... temporary alternative afterlife waiting chamber or something? Which seems to have created another entire diverging reality since on the one hand events have gone on as though Zach and Cloud both disappeared entirely after their escape, but on the other Biggs is clearly from the Re* reality, but if that's the case where is Diverging Timeline Biggs, did Re* Biggs replace him, or... look, just tell me I get answers eventually, okay.

Thundarr posted:

Cloud in particular also has the very useful and equally undocumented ability that if you dodge and then tap attack, he'll fire sword beams at his target, and if you hold attack down, he'll launch himself to his target regardless of distance or aerial status and hit them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

(Please tell me she sings that regardless of who you're on a date with.)

Yup although the reaction of whoever you're on the date with is obviously different. Yuffie gets so excited about Aerith's act that Cloud has to stop her from bouncing onto the stage herself :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Cloud in particular also has the very useful and equally undocumented ability that if you dodge and then tap attack, he'll fire sword beams at his target, and if you hold attack down, he'll launch himself to his target regardless of distance or aerial status and hit them.

Blade Beam is definitely mentioned in the Cloud combat tutorial in the Chadley sim

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think its mentioned in the first 20 mins at the tutorial pop ups in the Nibelheim flashback

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DeathChicken posted:

Yup although the reaction of whoever you're on the date with is obviously different. Yuffie gets so excited about Aerith's act that Cloud has to stop her from bouncing onto the stage herself :v:
That is adorable, but her shoving Cid and Vincent all "wake up, stupids, something amazing is happening and you don't want to miss it" was also adorable.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
There's a line in OG FF7 where Cid talks about watching Loveless once but falling asleep halfway through it, and it's incredibly funny to watch him actually get to do it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I genuinely thought they made up Loveless for Crisis Core.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The most terrible crime of act 12 is you can't get that outfit for Barret to wear after the play is over.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

There's a big Loveless billboard above Aerith in the OG opening FMV, and when Cloud runs into her after the bombing. It's secretly always been key to their relationship.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

The most terrible crime of act 12 is you can't get that outfit for Barret to wear after the play is over.

It is really weird they don't give him that outfit. Heck, it's weird that Tifa/Aerith/Yuffie don't get the Rosa outfit either or Cloud doesn't get the hero outfit

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Thundarr posted:

Actually it’s how easy it was to miss a whole rear end yuffie weapon in the saucer if you explore in the wrong order >:[

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

CapnAndy posted:

I genuinely thought they made up Loveless for Crisis Core.

Cid quotes it in the OG FF7 on the highwind when asked by Cloud why he's coming with the party.

code:
Cid:
"Yeah? Really? Well, that's fine."
"They've been doin' that play every summer since I was a kid."
"An' I remember seein' it just once..."
"That was when I was in Midgar interviewing to be a pilot."
"I had some free time and thought I'd catch the play."
"Now, I'm no big fan of the theater or anything."
"But this thing put me to sleep, just like I thought it would."
"Finally during the last scene, the guy next to me woke me up
tellin' me my snorin' was too loud."
"So about all I really remember of that play is the end..."
"The sister of the lead asks her lover,"
Cid:
"Do you really have to leave?"
Cid:
"And the guy says,"
Cid:
"I promised. The people I love are waiting."
Cid:
"......I don't understand. Not at all. But...... please take care
of yourself."
Cid:
"Of course... I'll come back to you. Even if you don't promise to
wait. I'll return knowing that you'll be here."
Cid:
"I remember thinking when I heard those lines,"
"*&%! What the hell's he talkin' about? But, you know... now I'm
not so sure..."
"I think I understand......"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gruckles posted:

There's a big Loveless billboard above Aerith in the OG opening FMV, and when Cloud runs into her after the bombing. It's secretly always been key to their relationship.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Cid quotes it in the OG FF7 on the highwind when asked by Cloud why he's coming with the party.
Well I'll be damned.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

drat i just got absolutely loving rinsed by jenova lifeclinger. Not having agency over my party makeup for the fight is awful. Nobody felt at all useful in the configurations the game gave me, lol. Keep getting wiped in the final phase. Can’t do enough damage and nobody can heal or raise in the teams they give me. And because of the maze of options the game gives you for retries I am terrified to pick the wrong one and end up four hours of dialog ago. Pushing square to access the menu doesn’t work on this fight either. Gonna just keep banging my head against the wall until I win I guess.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I got around that problem by equipping heal on everyone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i decided early on to equip everyone in the party like they were ready to throw down at any time and boy did it pay off

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Considering you get back row AP, keeping everyone equipped at all time is probably the intended way to play.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I keep people equipped too but for specific configurations I use them in, and now it looks like any time I want to tweak my loadout I have to go back to before the whole encounter and do a bout of forced slow walking and QTE stuff before I can skip it and fight again. I just want a screen I can manage this poo poo at between attempts. this thing just cast barrier and because none of cloud, tifa or yuffie can remove it I may as well just bail lol.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have 3 party members with Healing materia (one for each preset), 2 with Pray, 1 with Enemy Skill which has Soothing Wind, and 1 with Item Economizer

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I’ve been at this for two hours if I do sleep mode at the Sephiroth vs Cloud and Aerith fight will that work or is it gonna kick me to all the way back before this started? Cuz I want to go to bed and I’m not doing this again lol. I had this mf down to almost no life and he just busts out a couple “kill you right now” AOEs like ok I wiped this is fun :-/

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I imagine it'd start you at the checkpoint (which would be right after beating Jenova) but I could be wrong

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 6, 2024

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I literally cannot believe that you can’t just change your equipment in a menu after dying to a boss before you retry what a bunch of bullshit. Yeah sometimes the square button will let you but that isn’t always the case and now it’s like keep slamming my head into the wall or I go back two hours in time and start over? And I have to watch 90 second cutscene, unskippable, for each attempt. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

kind of weak that the 2nd game in the remake, and you still just using lv1 Limit Breaks the whole time, and very rarely ever have access to lv2 if the battle lasts long enough to trigger that sync attack somehow.

at this rate, we're gonna be at the next remake part and still only using Cross Slash