Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

How!
Oct 29, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

hello is this the ufo thread

yeah but we got bills to pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

jquery? drat near killed em! :xd:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Rudeboy Detective posted:

what makes earth so interesting to rad aliens? our skateboard videos?

someone's gotta make their websites

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not reading white letters on a black background friend

Carp
May 29, 2002

Jazerus posted:

probably a different venue is best for this but i will say that if you're aiming for a position in a company that isn't way behind the times, putting jquery experience on your resume is probably more of a red flag than anything. there is an assumption, fair or not, that people who still mention their jquery skills are unreasonably attached to doing webdev with it and won't be able to adapt to modern frameworks very well. also writing your resume as if javascript, ecmascript, and jscript are different things is probably a bad idea because that's a distinction that hasn't really existed in a long time.

Most of what I've done over the years is clean up the mess of others, so legacy tech was/is relevant. I have no education so I try to show the progression. But you are right, a 30 year old manager or someone in HR will see it as dead weight.

My biggest issue is stamping out bits of ego wedged in all the cracks.

Carp has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Apr 6, 2024

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
resumes are there to get you an interview imho. that thing screams insecurity and wouldn't be effective as its so broad. i assume as a senior dev type you are choosy and looking for specific jobs that are a fit, unlike a new grad casting a wide net to get their career going.

i would tend to tailor the resume around the job i was aiming for (try to get a 1:1 on the job posting without lying) for about 3/4 of the page, then the remainder filler to make myself seem well-rounded. in principle the job posting represents a set of tasks or responsibilities they want offloaded, and the resume's job is just to convince them you're worth bringing in to judge for fit for that role. nothing more. the person/ai making this decision on a first level filter doesn't understand any of that poo poo on your resume means, they* are just doing a A/B comparison to the job posting.

by the time they got to me for a technical interview, nothing on the resume mattered. id barely glance at it so i would have a few things to chat about, but the interview process dominated the decision making process.

hth

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Rudeboy Detective posted:

what makes earth so interesting to rad aliens? our skateboard videos?

they find our quaint cultural practices adorable and enjoy studying us. like take this fellow poster, asking strangers how to present themselves correctly to other strangers lol

Carp
May 29, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

resumes are there to get you an interview imho. that thing screams insecurity and wouldn't be effective as its so broad. i assume as a senior dev type you are choosy and looking for specific jobs that are a fit, unlike a new grad casting a wide net to get their career going.

i would tend to tailor the resume around the job i was aiming for (try to get a 1:1 on the job posting without lying) for about 3/4 of the page, then the remainder filler to make myself seem well-rounded. in principle the job posting represents a set of tasks or responsibilities they want offloaded, and the resume's job is just to convince them you're worth bringing in to judge for fit for that role. nothing more. the person/ai making this decision on a first level filter doesn't understand any of that poo poo on your resume means, they* are just doing a A/B comparison to the job posting.

by the time they got to me for a technical interview, nothing on the resume mattered. id barely glance at it so i would have a few things to chat about, but the interview process dominated the decision making process.

hth

Yeah, I'll probably fall flat at the next step at the larger companies. GoDaddy was a nightmare. As I rule, I do not take tests or use the white board. I'm open to discussing things, but there really isn't much value there either. I talk to and explore computers. People mostly get in the way. Not to say I don't like people, but when it comes to solving problems, they are mostly noise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you can’t talk to computers. they aren’t beings

it’s like saying you are talking to sand or a carbon rod

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

dude you need to get a grip

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

PokeJoe posted:

are the aliems here yet

have you checked YOUR rear end?!?!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

then they've already won

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

mystical blessings~~~

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Barry Foster posted:

Yea I'm happy to lend moral and spiritual support but I'm not sure this thread in particular is gonna be the useful or appropriate place to have this chat

I mean this with all love and care

x2 wot barry foster said

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

are the aliems here yet

they've always been here bud. we're the aliens

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I believe there is an op targeting this very thread tonight

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

it fucks me up to think about how the other sentient technological species that exist and have existed throughout the universe have their own version of totally mundane things like Javascript and HTML

like ok consciousness and woo is cool and all but I'd really like to watch alien sketch comedy and listen to alien grindcore

Carp
May 29, 2002

Buck Wildman posted:

I was speaking poetically. Sorry, sometimes it is easier to compact ideas into a little hyperbole. I'm speaking at a very casual level, it is why I am in this thread.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

you can’t talk to computers. they aren’t beings

it’s like saying you are talking to sand or a carbon rod

you can talk to anything. its a power anyone (who can talk) has

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

the problem with ai is that the computers talk back

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Buck Wildman posted:

he's just autistic, be nice

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Squizzle posted:

you can talk to anything. its a power anyone (who can talk) has

I mean you can talk to yourself I guess but that is not what they meant

no there needs to be two beings for a talk. unless you are talking to yourself. you can’t talk to a stone (computer)

you can talk near a stone I guess

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If a stone has been consecrated and transubstantiated into a corporal form of a god you can talk to it

But then it’s not a stone anymore

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

every day

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

aw frig aw dang it posted:

they've always been here bud. we're the aliens

no. I mean different ones

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

you can direct speech toward anything. its an act of the agent will in speaking

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

utterances sure can be directed but we were talking about “talking to” which is different then mere utterances

edit

I don’t know if “directing speech to a wall” makes any sense. that’s not a normal thing

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

How! posted:

Lol god this hits home exquisitely

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

utterances sure can be directed but we were talking about “talking to” which is different then mere utterances

edit

I don’t know if “directing speech to a wall” makes any sense. that’s not a normal thing

its a pivotal plot pt in the atrahasis epic

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i hope im not spoiling anyone btw

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

are you referring to enki talking through a wall to arta hasis?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Delta-Wye posted:

they find our quaint cultural practices adorable and enjoy studying us. like take this fellow poster, asking strangers how to present themselves correctly to other strangers lol
It's this, plus our delicious bread.

How! posted:

Barry Foster posted:

Lol god this hits home exquisitely
Same, lmao

Also carp, I agree with the advice that this thread is maybe not the best place for this depth of advice. Especially as someone who sometimes overshares itt. I can appreciate that this place has chill and nice vibes generally, and that's good, I want it to be that way too. A Tarot card draw is one thing, but detailed resume advice is another level of expertise and investment for the UAP thread. Also, it doesn't seem like this is the kind of workplace where you can put in your references "My energy being acquaintance who posts on the somethingawful.com UAP thread says I'm special and hard-working." Would be a lot cooler if it was, but alas.

Orbs has issued a correction as of 02:16 on Apr 6, 2024

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
tell ‘em Jrooti sent ya

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

tell ‘em Jrooti sent ya

that only works once

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

euphronius posted:

If a stone has been consecrated and transubstantiated into a corporal form of a god you can talk to it

But then it’s not a stone anymore

that's what we did to computer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There's impressive experience on your resume Carp, but you need to edit that thing by like half. The wheat is getting lost in the chaff and people are skimming these things at best.

In general, the further back the job, the less detail that section needs. Cut it down to the truly impressive/immediately relevant bullet points (specifically tailored to a given listing as possible, re-order skills/languages/whatever to the things called out in the listing so they're the first and longest bullets so they stand out on a skim)
1.5 pages tops. Anything on the second page is getting skipped anyhow.

I'd chop the IDEs, collapse the variants (e.g. just say SQL unless they're calling out a specific variant in the listing, just HTML/CSS, the 5/3 stuff is implied at this point)
Also bump angular/react/RxJS way higher up on your list, that poo poo is the most modern I'm seeing so that's gonna be the most in the mind of people hunting for fresh skills

That angular rewrite should be top of your latest achievements. Legacy rewrites to modern stacks are great talking points in interviews - bring some quirky anecdotes and stories about the process - your interviewers will empathize immediately.

Chop the job titles, problem solver, etc in the bullets. You co-invented something that got a patent, that's cool as poo poo and unique, it'll stand out way more than "lead artist"

Hope that helps Carp - you've clearly got the professional chops... this industry is a ball-breaker though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hooplah posted:

that's what we did to computer

ok but gods are real

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

are you referring to enki talking through a wall to arta hasis?

no because that would have been breaking the explicit agreement he had made. he had to be talking to the wall. his speech had to be directed to the wall as audience

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

mediaphage posted:

theres a new argentinian comedy series this thread might be interested in: fabricante de ovnis, or ufo factory

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31888602/episodes/?ref_=tt_eps_sm

mediaphage posted:

i feel you; my parents disowned me. it’s kinda rough at first even though you know you don’t deserve it. good on you for standing up for yourself and while it sucks it’ll be healthier in the long term than sticking around and dealing with them.

on a cheerier i thought i’d let this bird thread know that we have two (there may be a third now) extras birds

(they are so fuzzy)

Also excellent (sorry, not the being disowned part, but everything else), these are both amazing for different reasons. :lovebird:

Ben Nerevarine posted:

tell ‘em Jrooti sent ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

are you calling enki a liar or an oathbreaker