Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Election watchdog tells voters not to bring leeks to polling booths

quote:

Voters are prohibited from bringing leeks into polling stations during the general elections, as the nation's election watchdog perceived the act as politically motivated and may constitute a violation of the Public Official Election Act.

The decision has sparked criticism from opposition parties, which have been using the green vegetable to mock President Yoon Suk Yeol's apparent inability to tame soaring agricultural product prices.

"Since leeks can be regarded as a form of political expression, if an individual tries to bring them into the polling station, they will be advised to store them at a suitable location outside," the instructions read.

The election watchdog added that carrying leeks could potentially influence other voters' decisions and also violate the principle of secret voting, as the vegetable is considered to be a form of protest against specific parties or candidates.

Following the decision, the main opposition Democratic Party of Korea (DPK) criticized the election watchdog for turning the elections into a comedy show.

The Rebuilding Korea Party, a liberal party led by former Justice Minister Cho Kuk, issued a statement with a touch of sarcasm.

"Please leave leeks outside the polling station. Whether you can carry other vegetables such as onions requires further inquiry," it said.

The vegetable has been a source of political debate following Yoon's remarks on leek prices last month.

During a March 18 visit to a grocery store in Seoul to inspect food prices, Yoon commented that a bundle of leeks priced at 875 won ($0.65) seemed reasonable. Subsequently, it was discovered that the leeks were being offered at an unusually low price as part of a super discount promotion. This was particularly notable considering that the average price of leeks stood at around 3,000 won, amid a 20 percent year-on-year increase in agricultural product prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of those things that varies a lot, as an Australian used to living rural or suburban sprawl I've never lived in a place without its own laundry room. We do have laundromats and such, but they tend to be used more for dry cleaning services, and also do minor repairs and alterations too.

Laundromats in Australia are for washing your DOONAS mate

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Votskomit posted:

COVID really drove this point home for me.

Everyone alleged that China was faking its numbers and hiding the true death toll. So I figured we'll wait and see how many stories break a year or two later when a journalist finds real numbers.

Turns out many of the western countries were faking numbers or just refusing to report them, and China was actually accurate and honest the whole time. That contrast just clarified for me how racist the whole perception difference is.

See - since the western countries were faking it that just proves that China was doing it but they are just more oppressed / better at faking it. It MUST have been worse - we locked down, too, just like they did!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just wish we could get accurate measurements of everything.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Korea 2024, the leet rebellion.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I just wish we could get accurate measurements of everything.

They're called bathroom scales op, you might not like what you learn tho

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing with the Korean doctor cartel makes me wonder, also like with the entirety of Israel, that the capitalist way of coddling and spoiling the petit bourg while telling them they actually earned it all themselves through bootstraps means you end up with entire generations of useless petty tyrants who have no concept of society and are completely useless when you have actual problems, because they will not do anything that potentially reduces their ability to exploit others at the expense of society. You've turned everyone into feudal nobility.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corky Romanovsky posted:

In-unit washing machine is normal in Japan (sometimes the washer goes on the balcony). Somewhat rare in the city, but common in the countryside is the large coin laundry. They get slammed on rainy days and are a godsend for large blankets. Otherwise it is line drying on the balcony or inside.

Dryers and weed are the only things I miss from the US.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stringent posted:

Dryers and weed are the only things I miss from the US.

i dunno i never seen a laundromat that isn't a ripoff outside of short term stays

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Palladium posted:

i dunno i never seen a laundromat that isn't a ripoff outside of short term stays

I'm not sure what you mean by laundromats, but hanging laundry to dry is normal in Japan and it sucks rear end.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing with the Korean doctor cartel makes me wonder, also like with the entirety of Israel, that the capitalist way of coddling and spoiling the petit bourg while telling them they actually earned it all themselves through bootstraps means you end up with entire generations of useless petty tyrants who have no concept of society and are completely useless when you have actual problems, because they will not do anything that potentially reduces their ability to exploit others at the expense of society. You've turned everyone into feudal nobility.

You might say that they are a "nation of shopkeepers" who believe that society is just made up of individuals.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Neoliberalism is based on the belief there us no society. Humans were a bunch of nomadic singular individuals spaced miles apart, only coming together to gently caress and/or do property deals.

Of course now they want us to fight and die. For what? There's no society remember?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm an idiot and find it easier to just think in terms of fascism. Neoliberals wanting me to fight for a nation? It's just fascism.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the two become the same thing as money becomes a direct replacement for all other markers of social standing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wtf for lol
Senior Official for the DPRK Pak’s Travel to Romania, Poland, and Sweden - United States Department of State

www.state.gov posted:

U.S. Senior Official for the DPRK Dr. Jung Pak will travel to Bucharest, Romania; Warsaw, Poland; and Stockholm, Sweden April 8-12 to discuss the threats posed by the DPRK’s unlawful nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs, malicious cyber activity, and deepening military and political partnership with Russia. She will also discuss opportunities for promoting dialogue and diplomacy with the DPRK. Her travel is part of ongoing U.S. efforts to coordinate closely with allies and partners on the global security implications of the DPRK threat.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
need to make sure your vassals stay in line

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The gently caress does Poland need to care about North Korea?

Legitimately what does a person in Poland give a single gently caress?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ikanreed posted:

Democratic Polish Republic of Kurwa

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Lmao if we start seeing DPRK-made tanks fielded in Ukraine

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Lmao if we start seeing DPRK-made tanks blowing up Abrams

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

found her account

https://twitter.com/junghpak1/status/1379593269429030918
she's gonna sell her book maybe?

e: lol 👏
https://twitter.com/junghpak1/status/1391910338434580482

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I really can't think of a louder "It's over"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

they don't, which is precisely why the us is so adamant in making them join in on their rabid anti-dprk policy

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

It's basically trying to do a NATO Asia, but in the reverse direction. Just trying to lit fire everywhere.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Lmao if we start seeing DPRK-made tanks fielded in Ukraine

There is a non zero chance the DPRK 155 shells have had close encounter with Poland military "volunteers" in Bakhmat.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Apr 6, 2024

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

mawarannahr posted:

found her account

https://twitter.com/junghpak1/status/1379593269429030918
she's gonna sell her book maybe?

lol pure twaddle

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

lol pure twaddle

mods? you don’t get to just call such a distinguished person of intersectionality a twaddle!!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mandel Brotset posted:

mods? you don’t get to just call such a distinguished person of intersectionality a twaddle!!

lmao the fricken coffee art

https://twitter.com/junghpak1/status/1379592535937540098

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

ikanreed posted:

i suppose you could argue that since South Korea has become a major weapons supplier for Poland that Poland should now try to interfere in Asian geopolitics.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it is encouraging to see that a history degree can still lead places these days :)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

do you think the DPRK realizes their nuclear arsenal is unlawful? lmao

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

They've got to try and rally the rules based order around something that isn't an actual threat, so they have someone agreeing with them and wont cost any parties involved.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The US fumbling every geo political event in the last 3 years - "I feel good about trying to isolate korea now"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wasn't the anti-ballistic missile stuff always supposed to be about Iran and North Korea? And that's why you had to put the installations close to Russia somehow? Anyway the Korea guy might be a missile guy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I learned a lot about geopolitics when in Civ I built all the nukes I could and then rammed through Non-Proliferation at the UN so no one else could build any.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I learned a lot about geopolitics when in Civ I built all the nukes I could and then rammed through Non-Proliferation at the UN so no one else could build any.

i thought that was obvious to anyone who had a working brain

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mawarannahr posted:

it is encouraging to see that a history degree can still lead places these days :)

the bottom of a bottle, usually

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does Civ have sanctions? What are you going to do if AI Iran and NK decide to get their nuke "illegally"?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does Civ have sanctions? What are you going to do if AI Iran and NK decide to get their nuke "illegally"?

No, you just can't build nukes anymore.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I was skimming the ICJ website for cases involving China, since the South African deposition about Gaza was pretty conclusive, so I wondered if any anglo or euro country tried to produce something similar for Xinjiang, but somehow I can't find any cases involving China? Is there any reason for that? Did they break the site search? Am I blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
there aren't any because if you go to the icj you'd have to produce real evidence