Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

hambeet posted:

The man that has yet to face any real consequences is probably not thinking about consequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

EoinCannon posted:

I heard that the way atomic level stuff is taught at the basic level is all wrong but it aids in understanding so they just keep using it.

As a person who teaches this stuff. Yeah, that's it exactly. If I tried to explain probability and electrons existing as standing harmonic wave then my students heads would melt.

I think people in here are overestimating just how much the Channel 7 crony had access to cocaine and good hookers, Bruce probably got a bag of plaster dust and a toothless meth addict who kept offering handjobs outside the car wash.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bucky Fullminster posted:

They are a bunch of tiny things orbiting a much bigger thing with a hell of a lot of empty space in between

No, they don't unless you only have a high school level understanding of the atomic model and are refusing to learn anything more complex abou...

oh, bucky.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
atoms look like the everlasting gobstopper from willy wonka

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Konomex posted:

As a person who teaches this stuff. Yeah, that's it exactly. If I tried to explain probability and electrons existing as standing harmonic wave then my students heads would melt.

gonna use some random greek letters and other squiggles to do that? yeah, sure okay mate

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Konomex posted:

In one of PTerry's science books, he described education as deliberately teaching things wrong, but wrong in such a way that you could move to the next level of education where things would be taught slightly less wrong.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Is that an obtuse way of writing Terry Pratchett? Because yeah the science of discworld books are very good

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In one of PTerry's science books, he described education as deliberately teaching things wrong, but wrong in such a way that you could move to the next level of education where things would be taught slightly less wrong.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I think a lot of confusion comes from people not understand what a model is. It's not the actual thing guys.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the bohr model of the atom is out of date but still useful for teaching chemistry

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i like the part where multiple people tell bucky that perception is wrong, and he just flat out ignores them.

classic bucky.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Just you wait. He'll be back with a bunch of articles proving that the Bohr planetary model is ACTUALLY accurate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I watched Osman Faruqi talk about festivals today and I feel unclean.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Is that an obtuse way of writing Terry Pratchett?

It is a common way of referring to him on the Internet by his fans and has been for decades.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's was his old Usenet handle.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

get him to talk about restaurants

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

birdstrike posted:

get him to talk about restaurants

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hooman posted:

No, they don't unless you only have a high school level understanding

Or if, perhaps, as was originally implied, you are holding a bong, while trying to make the resemblance between cancer and transport networks seem noteworthy.

Still, differences aside, atoms 100% absolutely consist of tiny things orbiting a much bigger thing with a shitload of empty space between them. Which can also be said of a solar system.

JBP posted:

I watched Osman Faruqi talk about festivals today

Why, they’re fine apparently

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 6, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tbh the genre specific smaller ones are fine and the live nation ones are hosed. Seems good to me.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I'd prefer if we could find a way to tell Live Nation to get hosed that doesn't also hurt our artists and audiences

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Still, differences aside, atoms 100% absolutely consist of tiny things orbiting a much bigger thing with a shitload of empty space between them. Which can also be said of a solar system.

:allears: never change Bucky

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Or if, perhaps, as was originally implied, you are holding a bong.

Why, they’re fine apparently

bucky did you know its possible there is actually only one electron in all of existence?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

:agesilaus:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They're literally the same thing and if you don't think so you're a loving pedantic stupid nerd with a baby brain watching Dragonball as an adult or something

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

JBP posted:

why

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

They're literally the same thing and if you don't think so you're a loving pedantic stupid nerd with a baby brain watching Dragonball as an adult or something

Wrong. loving wrong. Dragon ball kicks rear end and if you disagree or in fact hold ANY difference in opinion you're a joyless husk that is rotting from the soul outwards gently caress YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

My relationship with the Dragonball franchise mirrors my relationship with nu metal so closely that they are like an atom and a solar system (I loved them intensely, ricocheted to finding them super cringe and now I think they are fun markers of an important time in my life) this is why knotfest is the best festival of all time also BC king parrot came in and took a photo with me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thank you for asking. A friend said let's see Tom Ballard and I said yes I like Tom Ballard. Anyway wasn't I surprised when I was at a recording of tok Ballard's Greens podcast with Osman instead of a stand up comedy show.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

Thank you for asking. A friend said let's see Tom Ballard and I said yes I like Tom Ballard. Anyway wasn't I surprised when I was at a recording of tok Ballard's Greens podcast with Osman instead of a stand up comedy show.

I saw some nice pictures of that show tonight. I think everyone involved is pretty cool but also you would have to pay me computer toucher money to listen to that podcast

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The only good Australian podcast is imo 'weird crap in Australia' and even then a lot of those episodes suck poo poo but it's the closest thing to an Australian paranormal podcast so I'll take it and also it taught me everything I know about the dismissal which I barely knew anything about

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The only good Australian podcast is imo 'weird crap in Australia' and even then a lot of those episodes suck poo poo but it's the closest thing to an Australian paranormal podcast so I'll take it and also it taught me everything I know about the dismissal which I barely knew anything about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In6wmUYqEgw

:australia:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Sir/ma'am/my liege I am very high right now and I want you to know you have expanded my chakras in a way I didn't think was possible thank you

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Sir/ma'am/my liege I am very high right now and I want you to know you have expanded my chakras in a way I didn't think was possible thank you

dont stretch your arse that wide

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Reported

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Non Compos Mentis posted:

dont stretch your arse that wide

Yeah, stretch it wider.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm not an expert but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say atoms don't look like anything

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

username / subject combo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It's most likely not for everyone in this thread, but the bloke from Aunty Donna has a footy podcast which is great. As I no longer live in Australia, I use it to scratch my "footy" itch, as AFL is a niche regional sport that once you cross the Barassi line may as well not exist in the minds and pop culture of anyone you meet, but is supremely important to those that follow it. With cricket, I can at least try to find an Englishman or an Indian to discuss whether Bumrah is as good a bowler as Pat Cummins, or why Stokes is a good/awful captain. I try to have the same discussion about Max Gawn, or laugh at how badly Collingwood are doing this year, I get blank stares.

I was very very happy when I found a bar here in Sapporo that actually showed the Grand Final. I ended up watching it alone, with a bloke from Sydney, and spent the time teasing his 12 year old daughter by pointing out whenever eventual Norm Smith medallist Bobby Hill was on screen by interrupting her iPad time to exclaim "There he is! There's Bobby!" to her increasing annoyance.

But yeah. Aussie podcasts eh?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Sizzletown's pretty good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I listen to Shameless when my partner has it on. It's the only podcast I listen to that isn't about war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
The only aussie podcast I listen to regularly is Risky Business, which is weekly computer security news & discussion. Probably has a limited audience here but it’s pretty big (within the audience) and really great.

I’ll sometimes listen to the Dr Karl podcast because I’m too old to listen to jjj and old enough to be nostalgic about it.

Whatever happened to the Green Guide letters guy? Did he get bored or did they stop publishing letters?