Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You have lvl 2 limit breaks from the beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think the synergy combo into bigger LB is fine, makes it feel like a big gun kinda thing to build up to it.

Since they already used catastrophe and the kill sat barrage for Barrets limits I do wonder what his ultimate will be. Assuming they add level 4 limit breaks and don't make Omnislash it's own cutscene thing or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

kind of weak that the 2nd game in the remake, and you still just using lv1 Limit Breaks the whole time, and very rarely ever have access to lv2 if the battle lasts long enough to trigger that sync attack somehow.

at this rate, we're gonna be at the next remake part and still only using Cross Slash

You begin with Level 2 limit breaks and unlock Level 3 limit breaks later in the game. You also can use Level 2 limit breaks all the fuckin' time aside from against random trash mobs which is generally a plus, not a minus.

Edit: And that doesn't include the Limit Breaks which literally became a part of the character's basic kit so you use them all the time.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I don’t think I’ve ever used a limit attack above level 1 and I unlocked them all I just never got the option to do it in combat and don’t really know how it works

I know my raging is tiresome but if I really have to redo everything after Jenova I’m probably just going to watch the ending on YT and uninstall. I simply don’t have 2+ hours in one shot to game that reliably anymore and this game doesn’t respect your time. It’s bad enough I have to fight sephiroth with just aerith and cloud, not being able to tweak my setup without starting the whole drag rear end encounter again is insanity. He has an attack that just reduces your hp to 1, how is that fair at all?

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 6, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You should be using synergy abilities a lot and one of the synergy ability types is unlocking level 2 (and I guess 3 later) limits

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You should be using synergy abilities a lot and one of the synergy ability types is unlocking level 2 (and I guess 3 later) limits

They just raise the limit level.
So if your party is Cloud Barret Tifa and Cloud and Barret raise their limit level, and then Tifa and Barret do it, then Barret can then do a level 3 limit if he's unlocked it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess I used the wrong terminology but I'm responding to the poster above who said they didn't know how to use them

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I finished Gongaga World Intel… can’t believe people were actually complaining about traversal in this area. I thought it was actually kinda fun to have to figure out how to get to certain areas

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I know my raging is tiresome

you fuckin think?

it's like having darksydephil in the thread

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Oxxidation posted:

i decided early on to equip everyone in the party like they were ready to throw down at any time and boy did it pay off

I didn't always have the materia to do this perfectly but having 7 heal materia and 7 revive materia really pays off in hard mode I tell you what. I am only level 60 but so far not using items means I'm terrified to use offensive materia but I will throw my mp at healing like crazy

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 6, 2024

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Just beat this. That final fight was rough. Barely made it to the final phase in one go, then died 5 times to some pretty lame poo poo. There was a moment where I used 3 Phoenix downs on Yuffie and she died immediately after each one because Jenova is non stop full arena damage.

Love that Cait Sith is useful now. Ended up as my favorite character. Moogle Knuckle is so drat funny I couldn't stop using it.

Favorite combo so far is doppelganger Yuffie with Synergy->comet. It's what killed the dinosaurs.

Does anyone know when Jump is useful?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

GateOfD posted:

kind of weak that the 2nd game in the remake, and you still just using lv1 Limit Breaks the whole time, and very rarely ever have access to lv2 if the battle lasts long enough to trigger that sync attack somehow.

at this rate, we're gonna be at the next remake part and still only using Cross Slash

Any battle that's not trash is good to get a sync attack up for level 2. You can pump out a heap of moves and do it first so you don't forget, that's usually my strategy because being able to pop Aerith's no physical damage limit lets you do do whatever you like against bosses you've never before.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

i still haven't used aerith's level 2 because it sounded really niche like it's for tanking a superboss's ult or something lol

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i still haven't used aerith's level 2 because it sounded really niche like it's for tanking a superboss's ult or something lol

It lasts for a long time so you can ignore everything the boss does and just dps it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh sweet i should probably give it a shot lol.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I finished Gongaga World Intel… can’t believe people were actually complaining about traversal in this area. I thought it was actually kinda fun to have to figure out how to get to certain areas

Yeah I have gotten all of Gongaga and most of Cosmo Canyon (I haven't actually entered the town and so none of the sidequests besides the chocobo one are unlocked lol) and I found exploring them to be pretty fun for the most part. I actually only had trouble starting the Protorelic quest in Gongaga and when i found where the entrance actually was i had been completely overthinking it lol

It's been four days since I've advanced the story at all lol, time to actually push things forward

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 6, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is Greg Island supposed to be post-game content because hoo boy some bullshit fights here

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Is Greg Island supposed to be post-game content because hoo boy some bullshit fights here

Yes. When you approach the fights you'll see the req. Lvl appear for a moment at the top left. (It's 65)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I made it to Cosmo Canyon Red now sounds like a shonen protagonist in battles and it owns

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Once I got the hang of it cosmo canyon is actually really fun to explore. You start to get the hang of what goes where and it actually makes sense unlike the Gongaga mushrooms

Also the protorelic cutscenes are great. Seeing drunk Jessie gave me a sense of nostalgia for the first remake which is like nostalgia inception at this point

Man this game is good guys

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

I made it to Cosmo Canyon Red now sounds like a shonen protagonist in battles and it owns

He reminds me of a certain blue hedgehog and it makes me lol.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Wamsutta posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever used a limit attack above level 1 and I unlocked them all I just never got the option to do it in combat and don’t really know how it works

I know my raging is tiresome but if I really have to redo everything after Jenova I’m probably just going to watch the ending on YT and uninstall. I simply don’t have 2+ hours in one shot to game that reliably anymore and this game doesn’t respect your time. It’s bad enough I have to fight sephiroth with just aerith and cloud, not being able to tweak my setup without starting the whole drag rear end encounter again is insanity. He has an attack that just reduces your hp to 1, how is that fair at all?

You need to keep one ATB on both Cloud and Aerith banked at all times, and keep healing materia on them both. Prayer is even better.
Also bank limit breaks for the last 10% of the fight. Aerith has a limit break that gives invulnerability and Cloud's limit breaks will one-shot the boss during the final phase.

Generally speaking keeping healing materia and one ATB banked on all characters at all times throughout the entire game is standard good practice. It allows you to react much much better

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Man this game rules, the GS date & Loveless in particular are so good - now just dusting off the sidequests in C12 but I'm getting to the point where it feels like I should just finish up the story and come back to mop the rest up, you can grab everything in chapter select can't you? Did people here do all the sidequests before finishing the story?

I think the only open sidequest I've got left at this point is...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There are Jokers in Send in the Clowns battle 4

:negative:

curse that middle manager!

E: it’s bugged so it won’t recognise me beating him at the gbike so that settles it - it’ll just have to wait until the patch and on with the story

Luxury Tent Carpet fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 6, 2024

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You need to keep one ATB on both Cloud and Aerith banked at all times, and keep healing materia on them both. Prayer is even better.
Also bank limit breaks for the last 10% of the fight. Aerith has a limit break that gives invulnerability and Cloud's limit breaks will one-shot the boss during the final phase.

Generally speaking keeping healing materia and one ATB banked on all characters at all times throughout the entire game is standard good practice. It allows you to react much much better

I just used mist giga-potions (used, like, 8 of them across the whole gauntlet) in that situation, though healing or prayer would work. I’m pretty sure heartless angel has a long wind up, so you can build atb while he’s charging it and recover quickly. I didn’t bank limit breaks, but I never saw his end of fight super move either. I did finishing touch, rising fury, finishing touch at about half hp, then staggered him and spammed spells with both characters from arcane ward, which took him out. Aerith layering all three wards is so drat powerful

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yoo I totally missed there was a whole battle area in the dustbowl wtf

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I ate a big edible and had to call my wife in to confirm that the last enemy in that (the panther with the kid Buu mohawk) was saying rude things to me while I beat the poo poo out of it

I realised the gold cup for the quest is significantly easier than the legendary races for the Hyperion set so now I'm up to this final Corel quest, if I'm trying to get to party level 10 and all the main side quest stuff is done is it just the meridian ocean Gilgamesh poo poo to get there? I feel like repeating side quests in chapter select won't earn me party xp even though I haven't tried yet

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 6, 2024

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wamsutta posted:

Just set the game to easy.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

War Wizard posted:

Favorite combo so far is doppelganger Yuffie with Synergy->comet. It's what killed the dinosaurs.

If you have Aerith and can get Yuffie to stand on her arcane ward it’s even more insane. 4x comet for free

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Rhonne posted:

I rage quit Gilgamesh island before I realised I could just do this lol

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I spent another 2 hours plugging away after my last post last night, I must have tried the encounter 40 times now, with all the waits for cutscenes each time etc and I am way past the point of having fun. I was exhausted and put the PS5 in rest mode and I imagine when I turn it on later I am going to have to do the entire gauntlet again. I dunno why the game can't just let me access my materia menu and change things between attempts. Maybe I'd have beat it by now if I could do that.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Prayer seems like it conflicts with the idea of keeping 1 ATB on deck, since it costs 2 ATB? but I do have Healing on both of them.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just used mist giga-potions (used, like, 8 of them across the whole gauntlet) in that situation, though healing or prayer would work. I’m pretty sure heartless angel has a long wind up, so you can build atb while he’s charging it and recover quickly. I didn’t bank limit breaks, but I never saw his end of fight super move either. I did finishing touch, rising fury, finishing touch at about half hp, then staggered him and spammed spells with both characters from arcane ward, which took him out. Aerith layering all three wards is so drat powerful

I can never seem to get wards up on Aerith because the boss is so fast and aggressive and closes distances immediately, I'm perpetually being interrupted out of attempting to get wards going. Aerith being physically rag-dolled around and bullied is my main problem with this whole fight.

Rhonne posted:

You're right, this is the clear answer and I'm going to have to. I started in Dynamic, dropped to Normal at mid-game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

Prayer seems like it conflicts with the idea of keeping 1 ATB on deck, since it costs 2 ATB? but I do have Healing on both of them.

That's right yeah. If however you are in a bad situation and you happen to have 2 ATB up at the time it's by far the best healing spell to use since it's got an incredibly quick cast time and costs no MP.

Item economizer and item master materia are also very very good to have, together they can contribute significantly to group healing, especially at max level where every other item usage costs no ATB and a mere mega potion heals 2250hp.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I have no idea what Promises to Keep means in context to the game's themes

is it just a nice song that they wanted to make for the game???

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Cloud made a promise to Tifa when they were kids, it's a pretty major part of his psyche

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t know how you could look at the lyrics and not see the connection to the game’s themes?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Rest mode left me at the final phase, surprisingly. First attempt today I got him down to a sliver of health but still died. Second try I got him. I feel like I’m going to pass out lol. Did it without Easy Mode. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Augus posted:

I don’t know how you could look at the lyrics and not see the connection to the game’s themes?

You know that Internet thing that says when you're happy you groove to the song, when you're sad you listen to the lyrics?

I have yet to be sad enough by playing this game to actually pay attention to the lyrics

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Wamsutta posted:

Rest mode left me at the final phase, surprisingly. First attempt today I got him down to a sliver of health but still died. Second try I got him. I feel like I’m going to pass out lol. Did it without Easy Mode. Thanks to everyone who helped.

The wild thing about the retry menu and checkpoint system is that on every account other than the words that are written on it it is basically perfectly correctly designed. It gives you complete choice of checkpoints to revert to while maintaining the state of affairs in every part of the current fight and allows you to back out to the last point where you can change your build, and correctly assumes that most players will simply retry the failed phase and lose the minimum progress and so makes this the default. The auto save also works like this and maintains all that state. There is nothing wrong with the system.

It's just. They wrote text on all those menu options, that is not what the menu options do. I don't understand how this can be allowed to happen.

Does anyone know if other languages have the same problem?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gologle posted:

I have no idea what Promises to Keep means in context to the game's themes

is it just a nice song that they wanted to make for the game???

I don't know a nicer way to say this: You can't be serious

Gologle posted:

You know that Internet thing that says when you're happy you groove to the song, when you're sad you listen to the lyrics?

I have yet to be sad enough by playing this game to actually pay attention to the lyrics

I've never heard that saying before in my life, you ideally want to listen to the lyrics to understand its connection to the game's themes and its characters.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 6, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's me, the person that never catches song lyrics unless I deliberately disconnect from everything else to focus on the lyrics alone. And even then I usually need subtitles to hear them correctly.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I ate a big edible and had to call my wife in to confirm that the last enemy in that (the panther with the kid Buu mohawk) was saying rude things to me while I beat the poo poo out of it

It's a cute little reference to this debug enemy that was accidentally left in the original JP release of OG FF7, where you could encounter it at the bottom of the well in the desert prison. It would never attack you, just occasionally say "it hurts" while you beat it up.

If you read its enemy intel, it says something about how it's a test specimen that's only in the desert because a careless Shinra researcher accidentally let it escape or some such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I (barely) beat Gilgamesh on easy before I went to temple of the ancients. The summon fights weren’t too hard but Gilgamesh can be a pain.

Two chapters left till the platinum and I’m at 180ish hours, though 10 or so of that was probably idle time. They really shouldn’t make platinums take this long.