Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

The Islamic Shock posted:

Why yes Mike, corporations do in fact go well beyond whatever they say they need to compensate for new operating costs because hosed if that's going to let them stop posting record profits. See also most of the recent rampant inflation caused by profit rather than operating costs instead of the usual 10/90 split. AGC
the company both fired the employees to replace them with robots AND raised their prices.
but the point of replacing expensive employees with cheap robots is to keep prices down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

InsertPotPun posted:

branco you have a platform to reveal the many crimes of biden.
no? just vague "oooooobaaaammmaaaa!!" scare noises and references to debunked propaganda and "smelly poo poo!!!" jokes?
how are people not convinced yet??

also the sippy cup is the biggest, most childish "n-n-no U!!" in history

I'm not sure if there's any evidence for this, but I've always felt that the Biden sippy-cup was a response to Clay's Trump Sippy Cup that existed for a while and may still.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Doomykins posted:

"Is the dignity of my fellow man in earning a living wage worth 10-25 cents on my behalf? No." - An incredibly smart conservative man.

What's more is that they will still smugly pay the kiosk the extra 25 cents, just as long as they know it isn't going to a real person, because as we all know, the cruelty is the point.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

"Is the dignity of my fellow man in earning a living wage worth 10-25 cents on my behalf? No." - An incredibly smart conservative man.
Yeah but they are better than those employees.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: They Can Have Our Trains

Kellies Nomination: Worst Gun Drawing

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

the_steve posted:

What's more is that they will still smugly pay the kiosk the extra 25 cents, just as long as they know it isn't going to a real person, because as we all know, the cruelty is the point.

Murdstone posted:

Yeah but they are better than those employees.

It kills me that a bunch of boys roleplay at being alpha males but go out of their way to avoid one of the most important and noble values associated with it. Be successful no matter what gender so you can uplift and support others.

Dumbass End Wokeness twitter weighing in with all the self-awareness of a corrupt capitalist villain in a children's cartoon.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on British arms sales to Israel – There is increased scrutiny of UK arms sales to Israel in the wake of the killing of seven aid workers, three of them British, in Gaza this week"

Telegraph:

Poll putting Tories on 98 seats shows ‘real anger’ of public, says Iain Duncan Smith

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

London’s cultural reboot: Sadiq Khan pledges £3 billion creative industries boost

Stephen Collins:

How to get tickets for The Rest is Politics Live Tour in the UK, including price

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i like the beast and its friendly little wave

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

oh no that man's gun is killing people completely on its own

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 5, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Also lol at Ted Rall being afraid to ride public transportation. I commute to work on the bus and light rail and it's fine. Takes a while but it's fine, and it's free because I work for the city. I've ridden metros all around the country and ain't nobody doing daily recreations of The Taking of Pelham One-Two-Three or whatever the hell Ted thinks happens when poor people travel to work.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

InsertPotPun posted:

the company both fired the employees to replace them with robots AND raised their prices.
but the point of replacing expensive employees with cheap robots is to keep prices down.
I ignored this accurate fact because I'm pretty sure Mike's thought process was to shove something else he doesn't like in the cartoon about prices and wages without thinking at all about the two being related/going for a "lazy millenials"

Also for conservatives, what is personally convenient for them and the objective truth are exactly the same thing so yes an extra dollar per family trip means the workers can never possibly do anything to deserve this raise

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 5, 2024

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: They Can Have Our Trains

Kellies Nomination: Ugliest Cartoon

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
A professional journalist would know editors write the headlines.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

What's this one even referring to?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Discendo Vox posted:

What's this one even referring to?

blah blah blah Big Guy

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Edit: Ah right, VP during Obama. More Biden Crime Family hooplah.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 6, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Stultus Maximus posted:

blah blah blah Big Guy

ohhh, right, this is still from the Obama admin. My bad.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Wow those Democrats sure are hypocrites for getting outraged over extreme blasphemy but being okay with poo poo we made up that we didn't think to make blasphemous while we were making it up

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Not really a political cartoon, more a thing-that-happened cartoon by Roz Chast

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Katauskas:

Spooner:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Adam Zyglis

Ann Telnaes

Bob Englehart

As we all know, the only reason for anyone to ever go to college is to learn how to do a specific trade job, and therefore

Clay Bennett

Darrin Bell

David Horsey

David Horsey posted:

IN THE NEWS: Alaska Airlines executives suffered and scraped by on seven figure salaries during the COVID-19 pandemic because, in order to receive federal bailouts totalling $2.3 billion, the company had to put limits on compensation for their people at the top.

Apparently, now that the airline has been saved through the involuntary generosity of American taxpayers, pay for execs is being pushed back into the stratosphere. CEO Ben Minicucci, for instance, received an extra $5.3 million last year, raising his annual compensation to $10.3 million.

To Minicucci and the rest of the crew in the executive suite, all of us sitting back in coach thank you for your sacrifice.

David M. Hitch

Note the weasel wording here - he proclaimed it was time to celebrate, because saying he proclaimed it to be that day would be a direct lie. So instead David M. Hitch is just implying that he did that.

Dick Wright

Drew Sheneman

Jack Ohman

Jeff Koterba

Jimmy Margulies

John Darkow

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Lee Judge

Lisa Benson

Mike Smith

Patrick Chappatte

Pedro X. Molina

Randall Enos

Rick McKee

Walt Handelsman

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What the gently caress are either of you talking about? You cannot loving stand each other. You constantly mock and belittle each other. Carmen, Winslow's family had you over to protect you when you were being persecuted and you made fun of them constantly. You both get into literal fistfights about your views, usually several times a month. Neither of you likes the other.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kellies Nomination: Ugliest Cartoon

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Weirdly dropped ball for Telnaes on that Biden. It looks nothing like him.

quote:

Walt Handelsman

This isn’t a cartoon.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wait…why does that look off.

lol

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The graph was secretly a weathervane this whole time.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Walt Handelsman

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Label

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pants Donkey posted:

Wait…why does that look off.

lol

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He also got the letters wrong on the “upside-down” sign. Just incompetence at every level

Dial911
Mar 18, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY LORD AND SAVIOR!!!

Pants Donkey posted:

Just incompetence at every level

New thread title material.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

Bob Englehart

Can't wait for them to go "you fuckin' idiot youth, you should've gone to college" in twenty years once we take their advice and the job market gets saturated. Again.

quote:

Jimmy Margulies
"America First is America Next"
-Dr. Seuss

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Can't wait for them to go "you fuckin' idiot youth, you should've gone to college" in twenty years once we take their advice and the job market gets saturated. Again.

This is, of course, the point.
The entire reason they pushed so hard for everyone to get into college was to saturate the job market and drive down the cost of college educated labour.

They're trying to do the same thing to skilled trades, because employers are drooling over the idea of being able to pay a welder or electrician only a few dollars above minimum and acting like they are generous for doing so.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Who is "they" here? There are a lot of beneficial arguments regarding college education not stemming from depressing wages.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oh you're right, I didn't mean to imply that going to college was in anyway bad, sorry about that.

I meant the people who make these cartoons who once mocked people for not going to college, that are now mocking them for going to college rather than trade school, or rather the people paying them to make them.

So they in this situation are people who own companies, particularly ones who employ skilled labour.

While the advice in itself isn't wrong, the motive behind the advice is cynical and self serving.

Like when I was growing up I was constantly hammered with the message "If you don't go to college you'll end up as a burger flipping loser for your whole life"
And everyone who could did that, but as the market saturated you ended up with a lot of underpaid people stuck with a lot of debt.

But as I got older the advice shifted to mocking the college educated and how kids were too lazy to become plumbers.
And again, going into a trade is a good thing, but the reason we see it being pushed from the people above isn't because they care and want to give us helpful advice, it's because they want there to be a hundred applicants for every trade job.

It's a complex issue so I shouldn't have belched out a quick post about it.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
The fact that college gave people inconvenient ideas about Vietnam (which is why it stopped being free) may have something to do with the trade school thing as well. Learning only how to do what you need to do without all that silly extra bullshit like what recent American history actually looks like has to be a plus for them at least.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 6, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The fact that college gave people inconvenient ideas about Vietnam (which is why it stopped being free) may have something to do with the trade school thing as well. Learning only how to do what you need to do without all that silly extra bullshit like what recent American history actually looks like has to be a plus for them at least.

I would also bet some good Monopoly money that some of these folks also earnestly do not make the connection between college and say, medical school.
They hear college and their brains immediately go to Underwater Basket Weaving and Genderqueer Bicycle Maintenance, or whatever other "useless" degrees they don't personally approve of.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vib Rib posted:

What the gently caress are either of you talking about? You cannot loving stand each other. You constantly mock and belittle each other. Carmen, Winslow's family had you over to protect you when you were being persecuted and you made fun of them constantly. You both get into literal fistfights about your views, usually several times a month. Neither of you likes the other.

Our hero punches her best friend in the the loving eye because she doesn't like his political speech. This is something the cartoonists thinks is good and that the audience should support.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the US reaction to Israel’s attack on an aid convoy – President Biden has called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and told Benjamin Netanyahu that Israel has to protect civilians"

Telegraph:

Sunak: Rwanda plan ‘more important’ than ECHR membership

The i paper:

Times:

Consultants end pay dispute with government in England

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I dont know posted:

Our hero punches her best friend in the the loving eye because she doesn't like his political speech. This is something the cartoonists thinks is good and that the audience should support.

drat, way back when Prickly City actually said something.
I mean, what it's saying is objectively incorrect (edit: ohhh, because she punched with her right hand) since one of those things is freedom of speech and the other is 1st or 2nd degree assault, but at least it's saying something.